Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring game against another opponent

Started by parallaxpig, March 15, 2017, 05:09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Heard it discussed, any chance we will see spring game scrimmage against another team. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

jkstock04

I've never heard of such but that would be awesome.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hoggish1

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:09:19 pm
Heard it discussed, any chance we will see spring game scrimmage against another team. 

No way that happens, unless the opponent was a a juco team at best.

The risk of injury would be too great to allow such stupidity.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:09:19 pm

Not allowed. But good idea.
Go Hogs Go!

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 15, 2017, 05:18:25 pm

Risk of injury no greater than it is in current format.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:35:28 pm

Everyone with half a brain knows it isn't allowed.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

parallaxpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 15, 2017, 06:19:17 pm
Everyone with half a brain knows it isn't allowed.

Hey half wit, it's being discussed, hence the post.

bythelake

PorkRinds

ricepig

PorkRinds

MuskogeeHogFan

Ehh, I'd like to see it happen. Everyone (P-5 and below) schedule a quasi-spring game with an opponent.  Charge admission. There isn't a single team that is going to take too big of a chance with injury. In fact, most teams might schedule a lesser division team for the game (scrimmage) and the gate should go to the smaller team to help the lower division teams to continue to fund their programs less the operating expenses of the stadium where the scrimmage is held. Heck, you could schedule a couple of these each spring off campus, especially in areas that you wanted to target for recruiting.

Let's face it, scrimmaging a lesser team you are still going to get your work in with a less chance of injury and if done off campus, you get other potential recruits to show up to watch.

I think it would be good and who knows, in scrimmaging lesser division teams, you might every once in a great while uncover a guy playing at a lower level, who deserves to be playing at a higher level. This concept wouldn't hurt at all, if the NCAA would rule to allow it.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

How about ASU at WMS ???  Have Bazzell make a new trophy!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 15, 2017, 07:26:51 pm
How about ASU at WMS ???  Have Bazzell make a new trophy!

I was thinking more about Houston Baptist in Houston, TX or Bethune-Cookman in Daytona Beach, FL.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 15, 2017, 07:42:19 pm
I was thinking more about Houston Baptist in Houston, TX or Bethune-Cookman in Daytona Beach, FL.

Texas Tech is having their spring game at the cowboys practice facility in Frisco, Texas.

"The Star" practice facility is pretty awesome and it's just the right size to accommodate the spring game.

It would piss too many people off but if we were to play off-site I'd rather play our spring game in Frisco vs. WMS.

Much better facility -
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hoggish1

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 15, 2017, 05:35:28 pm

Wrong.  Continue...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on March 15, 2017, 07:51:10 pm
Texas Tech is having their spring game at the cowboys practice facility in Frisco, Texas.

"The Star" practice facility is pretty awesome and it's just the right size to accommodate the spring game.

It would piss too many people off but if we were to play off-site I'd rather play our spring game in Frisco vs. WMS.

Much better facility -

But it is still a team spring game, red vs. black or red vs. white, and not against another opponent which is not allowed, right?
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 15, 2017, 07:55:21 pm
But it is still a team spring game, red vs. black or red vs. white, and not against another opponent which is not allowed, right?

As far as I know.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

SamBuckhart

How about play the DALLAS COWBOYS in Fayetteville? The college all-stars used to play the NFL once a year. Don't shake your head. It could happen.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

factchecker

Quote from: SamBuckhart on March 15, 2017, 07:59:40 pm
How about play the DALLAS COWBOYS in Fayetteville? The college all-stars used to play the NFL once a year. Don't shake your head. It could happen.

Saban and other coaches brings back former players who played in the league to scrimmage against his team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Birminghog

Quote from: factchecker on March 15, 2017, 07:51:10 pm

Much better facility -

If I live in Lubbock, I'm ticked at this. Plenty of people who might not otherwise be able to afford a regular season game could take their families to a Spring game, but travel the 10.5 hour, 770 mile round-trip to Frisco and back? May be a better facility for all I know, but it dumps on the hometown fans.

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 15, 2017, 07:19:03 pm
Ehh, I'd like to see it happen. Everyone (P-5 and below) schedule a quasi-spring game with an opponent.  Charge admission. There isn't a single team that is going to take too big of a chance with injury. In fact, most teams might schedule a lesser division team for the game (scrimmage) and the gate should go to the smaller team to help the lower division teams to continue to fund their programs less the operating expenses of the stadium where the scrimmage is held. Heck, you could schedule a couple of these each spring off campus, especially in areas that you wanted to target for recruiting.

Let's face it, scrimmaging a lesser team you are still going to get your work in with a less chance of injury and if done off campus, you get other potential recruits to show up to watch.

I think it would be good and who knows, in scrimmaging lesser division teams, you might every once in a great while uncover a guy playing at a lower level, who deserves to be playing at a higher level. This concept wouldn't hurt at all, if the NCAA would rule to allow it.

No way all this you speak of makes any sense..

Hoggish1

Quote from: SamBuckhart on March 15, 2017, 07:59:40 pm
dayum, that's good LMAO

To me, the Spring game is practice and I say go where you can get the best out of that practice.  It that means taking your show on the road to help recruiting, then do it.  Since it would be practice, you likely could let potential recruits on to the sidelines, into the dressing room and likely get to sit in on halftime thus learning a lot about  your program.

I would assume the staffs of both teams would have a lot of latitude with subbing in and out and trying new things both ways. 

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

woodrow hog call

Risk of injury should be half as much as a traditional red white game.
Having half as many players on the field at all times, risk factor should be close to half.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Hollywood870

Quote from: woodrow hog call on March 15, 2017, 10:03:09 pm
Risk of injury should be half as much as a traditional red white game.
Having half as many players on the field at all times, risk factor should be close to half.
Numbers don't lie.

jgphillips3

How about a spring game with all star razorbacks from the past to scrimmage against kind of like Bama did in season with some players?

Supermark101

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 15, 2017, 07:55:03 pm
Wrong.  Continue...

Please elaborate. NFL teams scrimmage against each other all the time, in training camp.

"We're talkin bout practice"
It gets brought up every couple of years,  but it never goes beyond talk. I'd like to see it. It'd make spring games more interesting,  but most coaches are against it.

CrookedSquealliry

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

FANONTHEHILL

The Freeze article is based on an interview from last April.  There have been NCAA and coach meetings since and I don't believe that the NCAA or coaches association gave the idea much footing.  A majority of coaches prefer a spring game that is controlled and scripted to reduce the risk of injury.  In Arkansas' case last year, there was a 120+ play scrimmage in the stadium the Saturday prior to the Red/White game that was open to the public and was much more competitive from a true game perspective.  Last April, Freeze was pitching the idea, this April he will likely be finding out if he has a show cause penalty against him and/or a job.  A lot can change in 12 months.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Given the construction inside RRS this might have been a perfect excuse to have the spring game in Tulsa at Union HS, Jenks HS or at TU's stadium. Get a little marketing done along with a spring game.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 16, 2017, 07:07:22 am
Given the construction inside RRS this might have been a perfect excuse to have the spring game in Tulsa at Union HS, Jenks HS or at TU's stadium. Get a little marketing done along with a spring game.

Muskogee to Tulsa: < 1 hour
Muskogee to Fayetteville: Almost 2 hours

You have a hidden agenda!! 😀
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pork Twain

Never heard it discussed and it will likely never happen, ever...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogShat

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 15, 2017, 11:24:29 pm
How about a spring game with all star razorbacks from the past to scrimmage against kind of like Bama did in season with some players?

No way... Last thing I wanna do during the tidbit of football we get in the spring is see Dmac, Cobi, Joe Adams and Mallett torch our defense and have to remember that all summer... Flowers and Philon going up against our unproven line with Spaight at linebacker? I'll pass... ;)

oldbear

Having the spring game off site would also mean not getting the recruits on campus. They don't get to spend time at the home facilities, don't get to spend the same time with players and other staff in the same way. I personally think getting them to campus for the spring game is a plus. Also, if you play an actual opponent, you would have to find a way to agree to use certain time frames to bring in non-starters and other subs. Spring practice is much more about developing young talent and seeing what unproven players can do. It is a time for the proven players to sit and the pups to show they can bite.

If you bring in an actual opponent I would be afraid that the development aspect of spring would suffer greatly because you begin to worry too much about making sure you win instead of preparing your team to win when it matters.

PonderinHog

Quote from: sowmonella on March 15, 2017, 09:31:58 pm
Would Freeze also pay the opponents?
No, any of his surplus funds will go toward his legal fees...

parallaxpig

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 16, 2017, 07:40:52 am
Never heard it discussed and it will likely never happen, ever...

Boys you forget one thing--it ain't about football. If they can figure a way to make a buck, it will happen. 

hogsanity

If already mentioned, sorry, but if teams were only allowed one spring game, then if all fbs schools played a fbs school, half of them would not have their spring game at home. And half the schools ain't goin for that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 16, 2017, 07:30:20 am
Muskogee to Tulsa: < 1 hour
Muskogee to Fayetteville: Almost 2 hours

You have a hidden agenda!! 😀

I'm originally from Muskogee, I live in Broken Arrow/Tulsa.

And yes, I do.  :)
Go Hogs Go!

oldfart

I Know im old but seems to me "back in the old days" that some schools did scrimmage against others... but maybe im thinking of pro teams doing this....

PorkSoda

it wouldn't be any different that nfl preaseason games,

but aren't spring games usually in a different format, with modified time and rules, green jerseys, etc.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jgphillips3

Quote from: oldfart on March 16, 2017, 04:07:31 pm
I Know im old but seems to me "back in the old days" that some schools did scrimmage against others... but maybe im thinking of pro teams doing this....

You know, I seem to remember that happening some.  I can't swear to it and I certainly can't think of any time after the 80's that has happened, but I seem to remember a few schools did that in the 70's maybe?  Not sure though...

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 16, 2017, 04:58:56 pm
it wouldn't be any different that nfl preaseason games,

but aren't spring games usually in a different format, with modified time and rules, green jerseys, etc.

It would be different. Preseason, you have players fighting to make the team, looking to show out. In a spring game, you'll have players trying to impress the coaches for playing time, but their scholarship/career isn't in the very balance.

Some teams don't even have a game but just hold a normal practice that is open to the public. Other teams don't open the spring game to the public. Different teams will use different formats. With the no-hit jerseys, it becomes a question of how much you may or may not trust the other team to follow the rules. Further, a lot depends on who you schedule. Schedule a sisters of the poor team and you get to have 1's go against a weak opponent, which is good if that's what you want. Bad if you are the type to do 1's vs 1's and 2's v 2's. For that, you need to schedule a better team.

While players aren't going to play like their career is on the line like you see in a preseason game, you do have the issue of players hitting other players. In summer/fall practice, it gets frustrating going through practice but not being able to fully unload physically because they are your teammates and you don't want to risk unnecessary injury. So, when they do get to finally go against another team, often that frustration comes out. Spring is probably similar though you normally you know you aren't going to be playing another team any time soon so you don't build that anticipation. Add in the outside team, and you might see an increase in total number of injuries to occur (though there are now twice as many players and only half of your players are on the field at a given time.

A major benefit to incorporating this would be that 1, your team does get to go against another team. Coaches will (or at least should) be sure to caution the team that they should strive to not hurt other players. Further, you get to know your own team's plays and own player's strengths and weaknesses which can lead to the defensive advantage in spring. Put in a whole new team with players and scheme you don't know and it can provide a better test.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

March 16, 2017, 05:49:09 pm #47 Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:06:10 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: oldfart on March 16, 2017, 04:07:31 pm

There was a time that it was allowed but it was usually smaller schools who engaged in this. "Big" schools, like the current P-5 schools usually held an internal scrimmage as a spring game and at one time some big schools used to make it an Alumni event on campus by scrimmaging a team made up of former players who chose to come back and form a team for the spring game to play the varsity team. It was a fun event and it was all about marketing.

In the spring of 1973 the Northeastern A&M JC Golden Norsemen of Miami, OK hosted the reigning 1972 NAIA National Champions, the Central State University Broncos (Edmond, OK) for a spring game and beat them by a considerable margin. Of course that was at a time when the placement of players by major Div I schools at JC's was more prominent(and they subsidized their time and costs at the school). Needless to say, nothing like that was scheduled again. Kinda embarrassing for the current NAIA NC's.

But I am all for these kinds of games, it serves a purpose, it is worthy of player evaluation on the part of the staff and it is entertaining for fans.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2017, 09:04:40 am
If already mentioned, sorry, but if teams were only allowed one spring game, then if all fbs schools played a fbs school, half of them would not have their spring game at home. And half the schools ain't goin for that.

have a spring game of your redshirts?, squad team, JV.. and play home/home with big regional opponents JV etc... OU, TX, Neb...

Keep your red-white game at home.. a snap limit for any that played in the JV game...

code red

Yes it will never happen for this reason.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou