Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There are some burning questions for Mizzou football; here are some of them

Started by jbcarol, January 25, 2023, 10:39:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Is there a good time to get the Dawgs :hmmm: 

First and 10: Worst-case scenario? LSU could knock the SEC out of the Playoff

Matt Hayes | 36 minutes ago

QuoteThey get Georgia at the perfect time. If there really is a perfect time to get the Dawgs.

Georgia is fresh off an emotional rivalry game. Missouri is fresh off a bye week, with 2 weeks to prepare for the 2-time defending national champions.

That's 2 weeks for Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz, OC Kirby Moore and QB Brady Cook — the keys to the Tigers' resurgence in 2023 — to find a way to attack the Georgia defense Saturday in Athens.

And then find a way to win the following week. And the week after that.

For all the good Missouri has accomplished this season with the addition of Moore and the resurgence of Cook, November will dictate who and what this team can become.

The rundown: at Georgia, vs. Tennessee, vs. Florida, at Arkansas.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Is Job #1 done :hmmm:

Drink addresses Mizzou's highest-ever CFP ranking: 'Job's not done yet'
Ethan Stone | 1 MINUTE AGO

QuoteDrinkwitz told reporters he had to channel his inner Kobe Bryant to answer a question regarding Mizzou's satisfaction with their highest CFP era ranking.

Missouri Tigers head coach has had an incredible season thus far, but the Tigers can pick up their biggest win under Drinkwitz by downing Georgia on Saturday. ...

And with the reveal of the first CFP ranking of the season Tuesday, Mizzou came in at No. 12. Here's what Drinkwitz had to say about that:

"No, I think I channel my inner Kobe Bryant. Job's not done yet," Drinkwitz said. "So I don't necessarily think that any coach is sitting around looking at the rankings to start November. Obviously it's just about where you're at right now. But we still have a quarter of our season left to play, and not really focused on what we've accomplished to this point."

The Tigers face off against Georgia at 3:30 p.m. on CBS.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

What's a bowl ceiling for Mizzou :hmmm:

Mizzou — This team has "New Year's 6 bowl" written all over it

QuoteIf you didn't come away from Saturday incredibly impressed with Mizzou, you were watching a different game than I was. Teams don't just go into Athens and have an opportunity to take the lead in the 4th quarter. And it wasn't as if Mizzou had some out-of-body performance. Luther Burden III had that first touchdown, but he was held to just 2 catches for 14 yards outside of that play. Brady Cook didn't play his best game, either. But the Tigers played a 4-quarter game because of how well they played against that loaded Georgia offensive line, and they established the ground game with Cody Schrader.

Eli Drinkwitz and plenty of Mizzou fans probably felt like the officiating crew was working against them, and of course, there are no moral victories. But consider this. Since the start of Georgia's run in 2021, there have been four instances in SEC play in which Georgia trailed in the second half. Two of those instances belong to Mizzou. This was not a game in which Eli Drinkwitz's team was "exposed." It was a game in which that No. 12 ranking was legitimized. A 10-2 regular season feels very much in play.

jbcarol

Is Mizzou worthy our respect :hmmm:

Finebaum says Georgia game proves Missouri is worthy of our respect
Rolando Rosa | 

QuoteFinebaum believes No. 12 Missouri proved its worth during a 30-21 road loss to defending back-to-back national champion Georgia. Missouri had a 13-10 lead in the 3rd quarter before Georgia pulled away for good with 20 points in the second half.

"I came away really impressed with Coach Drink and his staff and what that football team has accomplished. They still have some big games but they showed they were worthy of not only the ranking but all the adulation," Finebaum said. "There's been times in this season when it just seems like Missouri has been fortunate and gotten out of jams. Made trick calls. The 1 against Kentucky.

"What we saw Saturday was a legit team against what I still believe is the best team in the country on the road. All of the things that make college football more difficult for a road team," Finebaum said. "They came within a couple of plays of having a shot at the end which is all you can do.

"I think the challenge for Missouri now is to finish," Finebaum said. "They're getting Tennessee at a really bad time. They're emotionally drained. They're beaten up. They're playing a team that is Jekyll and Hyde but very capable."

jbcarol

What's the latest on Luther Burden III :hmmm:

Drink shares latest on status of star wideout Luther Burden

Andrew Graham

QuoteMissouri star wide receiver Luther Burden III cropped up with an injury over the weekend and his status for the Tigers contest against Tennessee this Saturday is in question. On Wednesday on the SEC coaches teleconference, Missouri head coach Eli Drinkwitz shared the Burden:

"Well I haven't seen practice today, but yesterday he was in a green jersey and didn't take a whole lot of reps and you know, we'll just have to see how he progresses. So, I won't know more about that probably until after today's practice. But I would anticipate Friday is the first time I'll have a real feel on whether or not he's going to be able to play or not."

--Drink

TheGrove68

Quote from: jbcarol on November 09, 2023, 02:10:51 pmWhat's the latest on Luther Burden III :hmmm:

Drink shares latest on status of star wideout Luther Burden

Andrew Graham

when he hurt is ankle vs UGA in the endzone our offense took a decided down turn. He gutted it out but was not targeted much after that.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

BigHoggard

@Blue-Chip

jbcarol

How is business:hmmm:

Drink yells 'business is boomin'' as Tigers celebrate huge win
Bryce Lazenby | 

QuoteDrink was thrilled after his team defeated the Tennessee Volunteers 36-7 in Columbia. The Tigers dominated the Vols in all facets of the game and improved to 8-2 on the season.

"How 'bout them Tigers!?" Drinkwitz declared in the locker room after the game. "Hey, I stand on 'business,' and business is booming."

jbcarol

Is '23 Mizzou football a feel good story :hmmm:

MIZZOU
O'Gara: Just a feel-good story? Nah, Mizzou is just a darn good football team
Connor O'Gara |

QuoteCody Schrader's teammates chanted his name and put him on their shoulders.

Reality should've sunk in for the outside world.

Mizzou is so much more than a feel-good story.

This isn't your standard plucky underdog that captivated some national attention in the first half of the season and then faded when the quality opponents showed up. A darn good football team took Tennessee to the woodshed with a loud 36-7 statement win Saturday.

It wasn't just a statement that the Tigers were by day's end, as Eli Drinkwitz said in the postgame CBS interview, "Tennessee state champs," by becoming the first team to beat 4 FBS teams from the Volunteer State in the same season. It wasn't just that the Tigers took down multiple top-15 teams at home in the same season for the first time since 1976 or that it happened in front of the 4th consecutive sellout at Faurot Field, which hadn't happened since the Jimmy Carter Error.

jbcarol

How would opposing coach describes Mizzou's 2023 progress :hmmm:

Billy Napier praises Eli Drinkwitz' progress at Mizzou: 'They're incrementally better'
Ethan Stone | 40 minutes ago

QuoteBilly Napier and the Florida Gators travel to Columbia, Missouri to take on Eli Drinkwitz' impressive Mizzou squad.

The Tigers have been very impressive from the jump this season, downing Kansas State and recently Tennessee. They are currently the No. 11 team in the latest AP Poll:

'Eliah's done a nice job there in Year 4. They've gotten incrementally better.'

jbcarol

How does Drink regard his upcoming opponent :hmmm:

Drink considers Florida having its 'back against the wall' on Saturday
Kevin L. Smith |

QuoteWhen a reporter asked Drinkwitz if Florida had its backs against the wall, Drinkwitz said it doesn't have "anything to do with preparation" for Missouri.

"Our preparation is our understanding that we respect our opponent, who they are and the level of play they can perform..."

--Drink

jbcarol

Is it too early to Drink to the SEC Coach o' the Year :hmmm:

O'Gara: SEC Coach of the Year is down to 3, but remember what the award isn't
Connor O'Gara | 1 hour ago

QuoteWhen you think of "Coach of the Year," you think of "Coach who rose highest above expectations." Depending on where you look, that's what the award is.

In the SEC, that's not what "Coach of the Year" means. It can be that, but it's by no means the default. At least not recently.

To win SEC Coach of the Year, one must remember what the award isn't. It isn't an "overachiever" award.

Look at the past 7 winners:

2016 — Nick Saban
2017 — Kirby Smart
2018 — Mark Stoops
2019 — Ed Orgeron
2020 — Nick Saban
2021 — Kirby Smart
2022 — Kirby Smart

That's 6 out of 7 SEC Coach of the Year winners who won the SEC Championship

Keep that in mind as Eli Drinkwitz tries to beat out Nick Saban and Kirby Smart.

That's what the race has come down to. With all due respect to fellow 2-loss coach Lane Kiffin, it's hard to imagine him getting that kind of love after the lopsided loss in Athens. Drinkwitz's case isn't just "we had a chance to take the lead in Athens in the final 5 minutes." It's "I just led Mizzou to its best season in a decade."

Is that a solid argument? Sure. Is it a slam dunk to beat the winner of Saban vs. Smart Part VI?

Probably not.

It wouldn't be a knock against Drinkwitz if he came up short of being the first Mizzou coach since 2014 (Gary Pinkel) to win the award.

jbcarol

Drink, an A&M candidate :hmmm:

Drinkwitz a Texas A&M candidate?

Jesse Re Simonton

QuoteMissouri is 8-2 and headed for a New Year's Six Bowl game. Should Eli Drinkwitz be a candidate at Texas A&M?

He might well be. For now, I have no idea. I've seen as many as a dozen Power 5 head coaches on various Texas A&M hot boards.

I doubt Eli Drinkwitz is where the Aggies will turn, but it speaks volumes that he'd even been tangentially linked to such an opening considering he was on a simmering hot seat at Mizzou just last season.

Drinkwitz has totally changed the narrative around him and his program this year, exacting revenge on both Kansas State and Tennessee and proving he can win with top talents like Luther Burden...

jbcarol

What was said during Drink's postgame exchange with Josh Heupel :hmmm:

Drinkwitz's snappy postgame exchange with Josh Heupel revealed
Daniel Peterson |

QuoteDrinkwitz had some choice words for Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel at midfield after the 2 team's matchup last Saturday.

The budding rivarly between Eli Drinkwitz and Josh Heupel took another turn when it was revealed what Drinkwitz had to say to the Volunteers head coach after the Tigers 36-7 win over Tennessee.

"We stand on business, Josh." Drinkwitz said before quickly turning and walking away from Heupel.

Words started being exchanged in July 2022 when Drinkwitz took a shot at Tennessee for allegations that the school faced before Heupel took over when he was on The Jim Rome Show.

"I thought you were going to introduce my record," Drinkwitz said. "But with the latest allegations against Tennessee, let's hold up on what my record is because I expect them to vacate some wins and that's gonna help my record a little bit."

Tennessee responded with their play on the field.

jbcarol

How would Heupel react to Drink's "we stand on business" comment :hmmm:
Did he even get a chance to get a clarification on what he meant :hmmm:

Josh Heupel reacts to Eli Drinkwitz's 'stand on business' comment

by:Kaiden Smith

QuoteDrink provided one of the most funny, unexpected moments of the college football season following the Tigers' big 36-7 win over Tennessee last weekend.

The SEC Network captured footage and audio of Drinkwitz shaking hands with Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel following the game, which is common after football games. But what was not common is what Drinkwitz decided to say to Heupel during the handshake telling him, "We stand on business, Josh!"

Drinkwitz's comments made many wonder if Heupel or the Volunteers said or did anything to trigger the statement he made in their postgame handshake. And during a press conference on Thursday, Heupel was asked about the moment and the comments of Mizzou's head man.

"I really didn't hear it while we were out there at the handshake, and man, we've moved well on to the game that we've got this week," Heupel said.

The exchange was a fast one, and one that was made at a sold-out Faurot Field following Missouri throttling the Vols in one of their biggest home upset wins in recent history. So Heupel not being able to hear Drinkwitz is a strong possibility.

Regardless of his motivation, Drinkwitz using some new slang to put an exclamation point on the Tigers' big win provided a viral moment for all to enjoy

jbcarol

Was Mizzou in town to fight :hmmm:

Drink takes jab at Arkansas for causing scuffle: 'They were here to fight'
Bryce Lazenby | 6 minutes ago

QuoteIn the 2nd quarter, the teams got into a scuffle and multiple players ended up being ejected. Drinkwitz was not pleased:

"We were here to play football. They were here to fight," Drinkwitz said when asked about the incident.

The fighting started when Missouri offensive lineman Cam'Ron Johnson continued to block Arkansas defensive lineman Zach Williams into the ground. Another Arkansas defensive lineman, John Morgan III, ran in and pushed Johnson to the ground. Missouri's Armand Membou then appeared to throw a punch at Williams. ...

@Blue-Chip

jbcarol

Who did Drink call out after the game :hmmm:

Drinkwitz calls out Jim Harbaugh, declares Missouri 'America's team'

Andrew Graham

QuoteMissouri head coach Eli Drinkwitz has never been shy from stating his mind, even at the expense of one of his coaching peers. Add Michigan's Jim Harbaugh to that list.

Following a dominant win over Arkansas on Friday, Drinkwitz poked at Harbaugh's recent "America's team" remarks regarding Michigan amid the impermissible scouting investigation. He posited that, actually, Missouri should be America's team.

"Earlier in the week I heard a coach talk about being America's team. And I don't know about all that conversation, they got so many different good things going for them. Some good, some maybe they stole illegally. We're America's team.

"We're a team built on underdogs. We're a team built on young men with something to prove. We've got a Division II transfer running back who's leading the SEC in rushing. We've got a bunch of fighters. Our quarterback has been fighting his whole life to earn an opportunity to play the way he does. We've got offensive linemen who just play for each other, tight ends, defensively. We're the story that people should be really proud to be behind. I'm just proud to coach this football team. And it ain't about me, it's really about those brothers, those guys coming together, those coaches in there coaching their butt off for each other. And that's what America's all about, people coming together. So, that's my statement," Drinkwitz said.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: jbcarol on November 25, 2023, 05:16:25 pmWho did Drink call out after the game :hmmm:

Drinkwitz calls out Jim Harbaugh, declares Missouri 'America's team'

Andrew Graham

Just gives every team he plays motivation to kick his ass, especially if he keeps up that "America's Team" BS.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

jbcarol

What's Mizzou's Stock Report awaiting New Year's Six Bowl Assignment

John Brasier |

QuoteLed by running back Cody Schrader's 217 rushing yards on 27 carries, Missouri, arguably the biggest surprise team of 2023, capped its first 10-win season since 2014 with a 48-14 beatdown of a crumbling Arkansas team Friday before a quick-exiting Battle Line Rivalry crowd in Fayetteville.

With the victory, the Tigers (10-2, 6-2) seem destined to play in their first-ever CFP New Year's 6 bowl game while improving to 8-2 against the Razorbacks since joining the SEC. Picked to finish 6th in the SEC East, the Tigers gained momentum in September after beating defending Big 12 champion Kansas State on Harrison Mevis' 61-yard waddle-off field goal.

Ranked 9th by the CFP committee, the Tigers will wait until next weekend to learn whether they'll play in the Fiesta, Cotton, Orange or Peach Bowl. Either Louisville or Florida State of the ACC would be the opponent in the Orange — the other 3 games have no ties

NY6 game is a big deal for Mizzou, which was passed over for marquee bowl games after winning the East in 2013 and 2014 and winning the Big 12 North in 2007 and 2008.

Tigers dominated from the start against Arkansas, with any realistic Hogs hopes dashed when quarterback KJ Jefferson left the game with a hyperextended knee injury in the first. With Schrader running effectively and the Hogs' offense sputtering under backup QB Jacolby Criswell, Mizzou QB Brady Cook threw only 20 times, completing 12 for 112 yards.

Most improved: QB Brady Cook

Biggest surprise: RB Cody Schrader

Best win: 30-27 over Kansas State

Worst Loss: 49-39 to LSU
While losing at Georgia cost the Tigers a spot in the SEC Championship Game, the outcome seemed inevitable

LSU loss was more painful. Mizzou jumped to a 22-7 lead, converting a 2-point conversion after the game's first TD.

Play of the Year: Fake punt against Kentucky

Trailing 14-0 in the second quarter at then No. 23 Kentucky, the Tigers used a successful fake punt, a 39-yard TD pass, executed with precision by punter Luke Bauer and WR Marquis Johnson. Though Kentucky wasn't fooled, Bauer was on target with a throw down the left side that Johnson skillfully high-pointed while fighting off a defender in good position. A loss to Kentucky might have derailed the season long before Cook's 4th-and-17 pass to Burden saved the game against Florida.

jbcarol

What is the Cotton Bowl spread :hmmm:

Missouri opens +6.5 vs. TheTM Ohio State: Cotton Bowl point spread released

By Grant Grubbs

QuoteWhile these teams won't rein in the new year, they'll give fans a wonderful way to end 2023. On Dec. 29, Ohio State will square off against Missouri in the Cotton Bowl. According to FanDuel, OSU is a 6.5-point favorite in the outing. The over/under for the matchup is set at 51.5 points. Here's all you need to know.

How to watch Ohio State vs. Missouri
Time: 8 p.m. ET
Channel: ESPN, FuboTV (streaming)

jbcarol

How does it feel to be in New Year's 6 :hmmm:

Drink describes the feeling of Missouri being in a New Year's Six bowl

By Chandler Vessels

QuoteDrink understands what making a New Year's Six Bowl represents for the football program. Coming off of a 10-2 finish to the regular season, the Tigers will face Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl in what is their first NY6 appearance since the 2013 season.

It is the third straight season the Tigers have reached a bowl game under Drinkwitz, who is in his fourth year at the helm. Speaking in front of media for the first time since learning of the news, the Mizzou put into perspective how special it is considering the team's preseason expectations.

"It's just a remarkable feeling," he said. "At the start of the year, there was a poll about would we even make a bowl game. Instead we're a top 10 team in the country that's going to a New Year's Six Bowl game. That doesn't happen without a lot of hard work, a lot of belief and a lot of determination. I'm thanking the seniors for making it happen."

Mizzou was picked to finish sixth in the SEC East this preseason ahead of only Vanderbilt.

jbcarol

How did Drink come down on the CFP selection?

Drink calls out CFP committee for excluding Florida State after Jordan Travis injury: 'Nonsensical'
Sydney Hunte | 3 minutes ago

QuoteDrink made it clear that Jordan Travis's injury should have had no bearing on the Seminoles being left out of the Playoff with a 13-0 record and ACC championship win:

"Let me ask you this. If a team in the Playoff has a star player get injured, are they going to be removed from the Playoff and then we put Florida State back in?" Drinkwitz asked rhetorically. "That, to me, was complete nonsensical rationalization.

"That one bothered me a whole lot, and then to not factor in maybe a team having an unfair advantage in some of their games, it just seemed like to me we were picking and choosing what lens we were going to look through," he said.

jbcarol

Per Urban I, what's Mizzou's appetite for bowl game with TheTM Ohio State :hmmm:

Meyer: Missouri is hungry ahead of bowl matchup vs. Ohio State

By Grant Grubbs

QuoteTigers are on the prowl, and Urban Meyer knows it. The former Ohio State head coach weighed in on Missouri's desire to take down the Buckeyes in the Cotton Bowl on Dec. 29.

"They are hungry," Meyer said. "Missouri doesn't get the limelight that the Ohio State players get. The media attention that this coaching staff [gets], deservedly so what they did this year, kind of came out of nowhere."

Missouri isn't used to playing this time of the year, but it certainly has earned its spot.

jbcarol

Are any Mizzou players among Way Too Early Heisman Contenders for 2024 :hmmm:

Staff Report: ESPN names Way Too Early Heisman Trophy contenders for 2024

QuoteWR Luther Burden III, Missouri

Burden was absolutely on fire early in the season, tallying five straight games with more than 100 yards receiving. Then he hit a four-game lull without topping 100 yards. Even then, Burden's 1,197 receiving yards and eight touchdowns weren't too far behind the likes of Marvin Harrison Jr., who finished as a finalist this year. Burden's got the natural ability to work his way into the conversation next fall.

QB Riley Leonard, TBD

jbcarol

Who can Mizzou get to try to replace Cody's production :hmmm:

Mizzou lands Georgia State transfer RB Marcus Carroll

By Pete Nakos

QuoteThe running back ranked No. 6 in NCAA this year with 1,350 rushing yards on 274 carries and 13 touchdowns. A first-team All-Sun Belt selection, he'll take over for super senior Cody Schrader, who earned first-team All-SEC honors while leading the conference in rushing with an average of 124.9 yards per game.

Carroll knows Mizzou has all the tools needed to help him develop into an all-league running back.

jbcarol

O'Gara: Flash-in-the-pan Mizzou? How this can be sustained ... even in the new SEC :hmmm:

QuoteMizzou is on the brink of potentially another top-5 finish after being picked to finish 6th in the East.

Fast forward to next July when Mizzou, in an expanded SEC without divisions, will likely not be picked to finish among the top half of the conference. The narrative for many will be "yeah, 2023 was impressive, but a reality check is coming."

Here's a question — what makes us so sure of that?

jbcarol

Can Mizzou bolster the O-line with former in-state recruits from the portal :hmmm:

QuoteOklahoma transfer OL Cayden Green commits to Missouri

By Keegan Pope

QuoteLee's Summit (Mo.) native announced his intentions to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal on December 12. That followed his lone season in Norman, where he played in 11 of the Sooners' 12 games this season and started seven.

As a recruit, Green was the No. 95 overall prospect in the 2023 class.

Ranks as a top-10 overall transfer in the On3 Industry Transfer Portal Rankings.

jbcarol

Is Mizzou's bowl game in the desert :hmmm:

Follow TheTMOhio State Football
@OhioStateFB
·

Arrived for the showdown in the Desert 🤠

jbcarol

Will Mizzou, Cody be able to overcome distractions surrounding Cotton Game :hmmm:

Harrison Vapnek@harrisonvapnek

"This is what we dream of as little kids and now we're on the biggest stage in College Football."

#Mizzou RB Cody Schrader talked on what a Cotton Bowl win would win for him and his Tiger teammate, and how they're avoiding the distractions ⤵️

Video
@KOMUsports

@BenArnetKOMU

11:55 AM · Dec 27, 2023
·

jbcarol

Who should get the credit :hmmm:

Drink shares 'coolest thing' about Brady Cook, Cody Schrader and Luther Burden III

Ethan Stone |

Quote"The coolest thing about the three is they don't care who gets the credit. They just want to win."

jbcarol

What did Drink say to Josh Heupel midfield after the ball game during their brief exchange :hmmm:

QuoteWe Stand on Business

mizzouman

jbcarol

mizzouman

Quote from: jbcarol on December 31, 2023, 10:10:55 amDrink told Heupel, "We Stand on Business."

Heupel looked confused.

They quickly parted company.

I get that but what does Billy Napier have to do with that?

jbcarol

Quote from: mizzouman on December 31, 2023, 10:21:37 amI get that but what does Billy Napier have to do with that?

Napier's inclusion's a typo.  Can you explain what Drink's talking about?

mizzouman

Quote from: jbcarol on December 31, 2023, 10:25:02 amNapier's inclusion's a typo.  Can you explain what Drink's talking about?
Ah got it.  Yeah, basically, it started with last year.  UT was up 59-24 with like a minute and a half left in the game.  They had the ball inside the 5 yard line.  Instead of just taking a knee, Huepel called a time out.  After the timeout, they decided to score another TD.  Drink never forgot.

Stand on Business basically means taking care of business, don't back down, it's about the grind.  What Drink is saying is that he basically remembers last year and the win was just Mizzou taking care of themselves, their own business.  Mizzou takes the knee to end the game.

https://youtu.be/sXISIamuuPs?feature=shared

TheGrove68

Quote from: mizzouman on December 31, 2023, 11:19:05 amAh got it.  Yeah, basically, it started with last year.  UT was up 59-24 with like a minute and a half left in the game.  They had the ball inside the 5 yard line.  Instead of just taking a knee, Huepel called a time out.  After the timeout, they decided to score another TD.  Drink never forgot.

Stand on Business basically means taking care of business, don't back down, it's about the grind.  What Drink is saying is that he basically remembers last year and the win was just Mizzou taking care of themselves, their own business.  Mizzou takes the knee to end the game.

https://youtu.be/sXISIamuuPs?feature=shared

Heupel got the hate on for Mizzou because he for what ever reason never got a look at HC after Odom was sent packing. I think he should of got at least a look and such. But for some reason and maybe a good one he never was a legit option it appears.

jbcarol

First and 10: Why Brady Cook, Mizzou could be the SEC's biggest Playoff surprise
Matt Hayes |

QuoteIt took awhile and nearly cost Eli Drinkwitz his job, but the framework is built now at Missouri. The roadmap is clear and indisputable.

Now, the defining moment: Can this year's Missouri team — full of expectations and Playoff goals — avoid straying from what worked and become more than a one-hit wonder?

"If you get caught patting yourself on the back for last year, you're going to be disappointed," Drinkwitz said late last month. "Nobody here is sitting around staring at the Cotton Bowl trophy."

jbcarol

Why Missouri has the makeup of a College Football Playoff contender in 2024

by:
Jesse Simonton

QuoteMissouri Tigers are coming off one of the best seasons in school history, going 11-2 and beating Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl. They finished No. 8 overall — just the third time the program has finished the season inside the Top 10 since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

Drink continues to "stand on business," and Mizzou's head coach has all eyes looking forward to a 2024 season that could be even more special. Like hosting a College Football Playoff game.

"If you get caught patting yourself on the back for last year, you're going to be disappointed. Nobody here is sitting around staring at the Cotton Bowl trophy."
--Drink

"What matters is now, and the people who are here with the opportunities moving forward. In order to go further faster, you have to start over in laying the foundation."

It's only mid-March, yet the Tigers wrapped up spring practice over the weekend with their Black and Gold Game. The early steps of that 2024 foundation have been paved.

TheGrove68

Quote from: jbcarol on March 20, 2024, 09:31:35 amWhy Missouri has the makeup of a College Football Playoff contender in 2024

by:
Jesse Simonton

Making the 12 team playoffs is possible but Mizzou has a lot of question marks on Defense and at the Kicker spot to answer before that is a reality. On defense it appears on paper and in the limited simulated Spring game some of those have been addressed. But the jury is still out until we play a real quality team. And at the Kicker spot we gotta a long ways to go.

@Blue-Chip

Quote from: TheGrove68 on March 20, 2024, 11:35:03 pmMaking the 12 team playoffs is possible but Mizzou has a lot of question marks on Defense and at the Kicker spot to answer before that is a reality. On defense it appears on paper and in the limited simulated Spring game some of those have been addressed. But the jury is still out until we play a real quality team. And at the Kicker spot we gotta a long ways to go
That first competitive game won't come until October (A&M).
Good thing is Missouri should stay ranked fairly high until then.
A&M will have just played Arkansas, the week before, should be telling.

TheGrove68

I agree those two weeks will answer a lot of question for Mizzou, A&M and the Hogs.

jbcarol

Drink on Mizzou's 2024 expectations:

'Every year is a new identity'

by: Nick Kosko

QuoteDrink  knows 2023 was a grand year for the Tigers but 2024 is a different animal this coming fall.

Throw out the 11-2 record from last calendar year because this is a new team. He wanted to take a refreshing approach and not rest on their laurels.

In a new SEC, adding Texas and Oklahoma, Missouri will have to be ultra competitive all season long.

"All that success was last year, and we can celebrate it," Drinkwitz said on College Sports Radio on Sirius XM. "And if you're on the team, you can enjoy it. But every year is a new identity. And you have to build that identity. And you can't just assume well, we had great leadership last year, so we'll have great leadership this year. No, it's a whole new team. It's a whole new chemistry. We got new coaches. So you have to fight for this team this year."

Other than hard fought losses to LSU and Georgia last year, Missouri surprised some with its 5-0 start and four game winning streak to end the year.

Tigers ended with a 14-3 win over THETM Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl

Sure, it gives Drinkwitz and company an opportunity to have another special season. But, he learned from past mistakes earlier in his tenure.

"You have to fight to develop the chemistry, you have to fight to develop the leadership, you have to fight to develop the standard that you want to approach, really in the entire program top to bottom," Drinkwitz said. "And so I think, mistakes I've made in the past, you know, especially after that COVID year, I just thought okay, we're better than I thought and we're just going to be good next year. And that's not how it works in college football, and that's really not how it works in any sport."