Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Kyle Wallace

James Lott
‏@JamesNLott

Hate to hear about Kyle Wallace passing away. Former State OL and Yazoo City High School coach. Only 36 years old.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Johnny McCrary

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/766314089270353921

QuoteJohnny McCrary was the starting quarterback for Vanderbilt less than a year ago. Now, it appears as though he's giving up the game for good.

According to a report from The Macon Telegraph's Daniel Shirley, McCrary has left the football team at Mercer and plans to pursue academics at Clark Atlanta [Darrell Walker, et al]. After starting 12 games for the Commodores during the last two seasons, McCrary decided to transfer to Mercer in the offseason after presumably losing his starting job to Vanderbilt sophomore Kyle Shurmur.

McCrary, who was a 4-star commitment to former Commodores coach James Franklin...

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Quincy Carter

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/768965891287609345

QuoteAccording to KGBT-TV he was arrested for two outstanding warrants in Hildalgo County, Texas. They were for failure to appear in court on charges of possession of marijuana and driving under the influence.

Carter was originally detained at Nuces County jail before he was extradited to Hidalgo County.

Carter was the QB for Georgia from '98-'00.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Preston LeMaster

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 15h15 hours ago

Former Cat Preston LeMaster arrested in Bourbon County on drug charges: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/former-wildcat-arrested-in-bourbon-county-on-drug-charges/ ...

QuotePreston LeMaster, a member of the UK basketball team from 2002-06, was arrested in Paris on three drug-related charges. The Bourbon County Arrests website lists possession of a controlled substance, drug paraphernalia, and prescription drugs not in proper container...

Bourbon County native and the son of former Wildcat Jim LeMaster, Preston was arrested back in 2014 for selling counterfeit tickets to UK games. It was alleged that he was doing that to pay for his drug addiction.

jbcarol

...Nu'Keese Richardson

Former Pahokee football star Nu'Keese Richardson was arrested Wednesday by North Palm Beach police

QuoteThis is Richardson's second arrest this year. He was arrested Feb. 13 and faced charges of faces charges of aggravated stalking and violating a court-ordered domestic violence injunction. Court records show the state attorney's office chose not to file charges in the case.

In his freshman year at the University of Tennessee, Richardson was arrested nine games into the season for involvement in an armed robbery near campus. He pleaded guilty to the robbery, but avoided jail time and was sentenced to probation.

He was kicked off the team.

Richardson later transferred to Coffeyville Community College in Kansas and transferred again to the University of Pikeville.

jbcarol

...E.D. Jackson

The last time Arkansas played a game inside Texas Christian University's Amon G. Carter Stadium, the Razorbacks rallied from an early three-touchdown deficit and won, 22-21.

That was Oct. 5, 1991.

QuoteE.D. Jackson plans to be in the house for the first Arkansas-TCU game since his fourth-quarter, game-winning touchdown run nearly 25 years ago.

Jackson — who rushed for 2,109 yards and 9 touchdowns for the Hogs between 1989 and 1992 —

Jackson said with a laugh. "For me, the thing is, that last year in the SWC, I think knowing that you were gonna be playing these teams for the last time was the most important thing for me.

"I grew up watching the SWC. I grew up rooting for the SWC. I think that is the thing that stands out the most for me in all those games. Of course, you wanted to put your best foot forward with those games that year, because you knew it was gonna be no more."

Today, Jackson lives back in Kilgore and has worked as a manager at Sparkletts Water the last 17 years. He said he doesn't make it to many Arkansas games — his two daughters are basketball players and his son just began his first season of tackle football — but tries to reunite with former teammates most springs in Fayetteville.

When he visits his old stomping grounds, Jackson marvels at the facilities — which were, it should be noted, affordable largely because of SEC money.

"I wish we could have gotten to be part of some of those changes," he said with a chuckle, "but it's real nice to see. Those guys have got it made now."

jbcarol

...Captain Munnerlyn

The start of the NFL season will be even more special for Minnesota Vikings cornerback Captain Munnerlyn than it usually is. When the Vikings kicked off the 2016 campaign on Sunday against the Tennessee Titans, Munnerlyn's brother Timothy Moore was in the stands at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn.

He's never previously attended one of his youngest brother's games.

Quote"It's a big game -- the first time he'll see me play live," Munnerlyn said while in Mobile for his seventh annual free football camp this summer. "That's special to me. He's been incarcerated for 20 years. Now he gets to see me play live. I always told him I was going to the NFL when I used to talk to him over the phone. Now he gets to see me play. I'm excited about the opportunity, but I don't want to be too amped up for the game and go out there and mess up. I'll try to stay cool, calm and collected."

Moore was convicted of murder on July 11, 1997, in the shooting death of 15-year-old Mario Triplett in Mobile in March 1995. According to testimony at Moore's trial, he had been shooting at another man when Triplett was killed.

Munnerlyn was 9 years old when his oldest brother went to prison. Munnerlyn would go on to represent Murphy High School at the Alabama-Mississippi High School All-Star Classic, play SEC football for South Carolina and make it in the NFL as a seventh-round draft choice of the Carolina Panthers.

"I'm just proud of Captain overcoming the obstacles he has in his life, growing up with two brothers who were selling drugs, and becoming a productive citizen,'' Moore told the Pioneer Press in St. Paul, Minnesota. "I always tell him, 'I'm glad you're my brother.' I let him know, 'You made it.'"

Moore was paroled in June 2015 and was in a transitional facility until February.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Sheldon

Mr. 'Old-Man Football' Sheldon Richardson pays up on bet with former UGA star Jordan Jenkins

QuoteFormer Missouri defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson will always have a special place in the newly forged SEC East rivalry between the Tigers and Georgia.

Leading into the first official SEC meeting between the two schools back in 2012, Richardson made headlines for his description of the Bulldogs film that he watched prior to the game.

"I watched that game. I turned it off, too," Richardson said, according to CBS Sports. "It's like watching Big Ten football. It's old-man football."

Mizzou and Georgia fans alike probably remember how that turned out, as Georgia used its "old-man football" tactics to secure a 42-20 win at Faurot Field.

Fast forward four years, and Richardson is now a member of the New York Jets, and he's teammates with former Georgia LB Jordan Jenkins. The two made a friendly wager on the outcome of the game, which was won by Georgia, 28-27, in dramatic fashion.

A man of his word, Richardson paid  up on the bet on Monday by donning some of Jenkins' UGA apparel in the Jets locker room...

jbcarol

..."The Barn"

If you visited Auburn in the days before integration, the game was played in "The Barn".

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/778302735133335553

QuoteThe pillar of smoke seemed to come out of nowhere, slowly creeping its way into the dimly-lit sky behind the southeast corner of Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Twenty years ago LSU's football team claimed a 19-15 victory at Auburn, but those in attendance and watching on TV may not remember much about the game itself. A ball of flames just 40 yards away demanded plenty of attention.

"It was a tough loss for us against LSU, but it was an interesting night," said former Auburn coach Terry Bowden. "It's one you never forget for weird reasons."

On Sept. 21, 1996, Bowden's Tigers were riding high. Ranked 15th in the nation entering Week 4, junior quarterback Dameyune Craig led Auburn past UAB, Fresno State and Ole Miss by a combined score of 138-28. LSU, coached by Gerry DiNardo, was 1-0 and ranked 21st after edging Houston 35-34 in its season opener two weeks prior.

During the early and scoreless stages of the first quarter, the smoke appeared and rapidly grew larger and darker, causing concern and fear for many of the 85,214 people in attendance. Fans on the corner walkway and adjacent upper deck had the best view in the house. The old Auburn Sports Arena was up in flames.

"I'm trying to do play-by-play and I've got producers talking in my ear from Bristol," said announcer Ron Franklin, who was calling the game on ESPN. "They're getting all these phone calls because our camera angles made it look like the stadium was on fire. It made for an unusually quiet Auburn crowd for a time, I do remember that. Very, very quiet."

On the ground, Jason Brown was making his structure fire debut as a pump operator with the Auburn Fire Department. To this day, he calls it the biggest fire he's worked in 22 years on the job.

"I can remember one of the battalion chiefs walking up to the front of the building," said Brown, now a lieutenant with the AFD. "At this point it had not broken through the roof yet. He opens these two big double doors and it was like an inferno. The fire was just circling on the inside."

The building, nicknamed "The Barn," was the former home of Auburn basketball from 1946 until 1969, when the program moved into Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum. By 1996 the arena was outdated and had already been scheduled for demolition, but continued to house the gymnastics team.

While public address announcements assuring fans the fire was outside played over the stadium speakers, Auburn and LSU continued the game without stoppage.

"Then 10 minutes later you have these flames shooting hundreds of feet in the air," said AL.com's Josh Bean, who was covering the game for The Daily Mountain Eagle. "It's higher than the upper deck. It went very quickly, internally, from 'Oh, that's an awful thing' to, 'Oh my goodness, how big is this fire going to get? Are we all in mortal danger?'"

Bowden's sideline didn't know what to think.

According to Auburn Deputy Fire Chief Matt Jordan, the building was ignited by a grill that was left underneath an overhang. No injuries occurred as a result of the fire.

"It was an old heart pine barn, and the grill had probably sat there for hours upon hours and reached that ignition temperature and it started to burn," Jordan said. "There were a couple things that changed game day operations, in my opinion, for Auburn University — that fire being one of them and then the events surrounding Sept. 11. The way that our game day experience operates, there are still some of these undertones... The tailgating experience was completely different in 1996 than it is now."

Bowden also feels times have changed and a fire in 2016 may cause more chaos than it did 20 years ago.

jbcarol

... ex-Auburn player Rachel Bell

Former Hillsboro star did not let diabetes keep her from following her dream of playing college ball, passing the bar, and getting "Judge Judy" money.

She's under fire for how she conducts business in the courtroom.

1995: The Tennessean

https://twitter.com/sbarchenger/status/779285190233296896

Bio: Judge Rachel L. Bell– affectionately referred to as Judge Rachel– is a third generation Nashvillian and proud product of Davidson County.

QuoteShe recognizes that each unique person's case, at that moment, is the most important case in the court system. Judge Bell is deeply committed to the rule of law, applying it fairly, impartially and treating all participants in the court process with dignity and respect.

Within her first year, Judge Bell has established a solid reputation as a judge who cares about each individual person that comes before the bench. She is able to balance compassion with the strict letter of the law. Judge Bell has a heightened sensitivity to the fact that many people before her are there without counsel and they are intimidated by the process. Judge Bell takes time to patiently listen to all parties– victims, witnesses, and the defendants themselves. Judge Bell guards the integrity of the judicial system and she will continue to do so by being fair and render justice to ALL.

jbcarol

...Wesley Woodyard

https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/779066260097273858

Titans LB was first team All-SEC on Kentucky's best team in this century.

jbcarol

...Kevin Butler

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/779071555959656448

Would have been good from 61.

QuoteCo-host of the Budweiser Fifth Quarter Show on 106.1 WNGC and 960 WRFC in Athens.

He can be seen on the sidelines coaching up the kickers and punters during Bulldog games.

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Chuck Hayes, Tayshaun Prince

As soft-spoken and thoughtful as ever, Tayshaun Prince seemed like the appropriate former teammate to explain Chuck Hayes' place in Kentucky basketball lore.

Quote"Chuck was a guy who really, really went out there and gave his all," Prince said last week.

Reflecting on Hayes' impending induction in UK's Athletics Hall of Fame, Prince said, "The one thing we asked of Chuck . . . was to go out and defend a lot of different people. Rebound the ball. Just do a lot of the little things.

"And you see what that has taken him to."

Hayes is one of only three players to lead Kentucky in rebounding three straight seasons (Dan Issel and Cotton Nash are the other two).

"He's one of the best post defenders the NBA has seen at that size . . . ," Prince said of Hayes, who is 6-foot-6. "People would tell me throughout my career, and you would just hear talk on the bus or talk in the locker room. People would say all the time, 'Man, I can't score on Chuck Hayes. I don't know why I can't. The guy is 6-6. I don't understand.'"

For fans of a certain age, Hayes could be likened to Wayne Embry. He earned the nickname "The Wall" as a 6-8 center who used positioning and a tree trunk physique to hold his own against such all-time big men as Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Nate Thurmond in the 1960s.

"He made a niche for himself," Hayes said, "and so did I."

Hayes, who went undrafted and began his pro career in the Development League (Albuquerque Thunderbirds), played 11 seasons in the NBA.

"That should be a testament to a lot of guys who aren't in the league . . . ," Prince said of Hayes' pro career. "This guy has really perfected a skill set. And look how long it has lasted for him in the league."

Tayshaun Prince came to help in a fund-raiser for Special Olympics Kentucky. It raised $10,000.

Prince, who played for UK from 1998-99 through 2001-02, is a free agent who might be interested in continuing his NBA career. But he's being choosy.

"There have been a couple teams interested," he said. "But nothing's gotten serious yet. Right now, it's just a waiting game. . . . I want to see what's out there and what's going to be right for me. And if it doesn't happen, I'll be happy not playing."

Chuck Hayes (2001-02 through 2004-05) has taken a front-office job with the Denver Nuggets. He described his duties as a mix of player development and scouting.

When the Nuggets are at home, he helps players hone skills. When the Nuggets are on the road, he scouts prospects.

jbcarol

...Joe Kleine

https://twitter.com/RazorbackMBB/status/780482998667911168

QuoteWACO, Texas — Former Arkansas center Joe Kleine was inducted into the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame on Monday at a luncheon in Dallas.

Kleine joins eight other inductees that make up the class of 2016. The Southwest Conference Hall of Fame is one of four separate halls of fame housed within the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

During his three seasons in Fayetteville, Kleine put together one of the most illustrious careers in Razorback history. The big man posted 1,753 career points which ranks sixth all-time. He ranks second in rebounding average (8.3), fourth in field goal percentage (.585) and fifth in scoring average (18.3) and total rebounds (806).

Kleine was named the 1982-83 Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year following his first season at Arkansas.

The Razorbacks made the NCAA Tournament every year with Kleine, including a Sweet 16 appearance in 1983. Arkansas finished in the top 25 all three years Kleine was a Razorback and finished in the top 10 in both 1983 and 1984.

He was a two-time All-Southwest Conference pick and earned a spot on the 1984 U.S. Olympic basketball team in Los Angeles that was coached by Bob Knight. Kleine was Olympic teammates on the gold medal team that included Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin and Steve Alford.

The three-year letterwinner was drafted sixth overall in the 1985 NBA Draft by the Sacramento Kings.

He went on to have a 15-year NBA career that included an NBA Championship in 1998 with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and the Chicago Bulls. He scored 4,666 total points and brought in 3,991 rebounds over his career which included stops at the Sacramento Kings, Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, New Jersey Nets, Chicago Bulls and the Portland Trail Blazers.

Kleine joins other former Razorback greats who were inducted into the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame, including Coach Frank Broyles, Coach Norm DeBriyn, Coach Nolan Richardson, Coach John McDonnell, Lance Alworth, Bill Montgomery, Loyd Phillips, Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson.

jbcarol

...Isaiah Crowell

Browns running back has sent 1/16th of his 2016 salary — about $35,300 — to the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation

QuoteSergeant Demetrick Pennie, the foundation's president, talked about the conversation he had with Crowell when the check arrived.

"I said, 'Isaiah, why did you send me a check? I told you you didn't have to send me a check,"' Pennie said. "He said, 'Sarge, I want to do it. I really want to do it.' I said, 'okay, alright, you will now be an executive level sponsor. So now, you are a celebrity sponsor of the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation."'

Crowell didn't have much to say about his gesture, which was something he seems to have preferred would've been kept quiet. It is interesting, however, that the third-year player is not from Dallas at all. He's born and raised in Georgia, where he also played college football.

Perhaps Crowell wanted in part to erase a previous misdeed, posting a graphic anti-police photo to Instagram for which he later apologized.

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Marcell Dareus

Two sources tell me Marcell Dareus did not get suspended for missing one test as he claimed. He had multiple drug-program violations.

QuoteBills defensive lineman Marcell Dareus said he was suspended for missing one drug test, but a new report suggests otherwise.

Dareus had "multiple drug program violations," according to Tim Graham of the Buffalo News. Dareus served a four-game suspension for violating the league's drug program, and is now eligible to return to the team. He initially said that he was planning on checking into rehab to clean himself up.

That never happened, either. Dareus revealed that he didn't go into rehab, but claims he has a strong enough support system around him at this time.

Dareus, 26, was a first-round pick by the Bills in 2011 and has developed into a solid pass rusher and run defender for the team. He has 30.5 sacks on his career, with 2 forced fumbles and 252 total tackles.

Ex-Bama

jbcarol

...Chris Leak

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/783769224946782208

QuoteThe alleged assault was reported Monday, according to the Orlando Sentinel's David Harris. The assault allegedly took place in an athletic trainer office at Edgewater High School, where Leak was working as the head football coach, on Sep. 5. Leak has not been charged with a crime, and the investigation is ongoing.

The girl told police that Leak asked her to give him a massage after emerging from the shower wearing only a towel. She also told police that she massaged the backs of his legs, and that he then asked her to massage the front of his legs. While she did so, he allegedly moved her hands upward to touch his genitals. She said that after touching his genitals a few times, she left.

According to the police report, the girl said Leak called her, bought her food and then took her home. When the victim later told a friend, the report said Leak gave the friend $100.

Leak resigned from his position as the head football coach at Edgewater on Monday after five games with the team. It was his first season...

jbcarol

Marcia Herold ‏@marciaherold 17h17 hours ago

The number of terrible people on the Florida roster during the Urban Meyer era is depressing.

jbcarol

...Former A&M and Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio

Billy Gillispie's junior college team forced to forfeit entire season http://bit.ly/2dF8YiT 

QuoteBilly Gillispie's team at Ranger College, a junior college in Texas, has been forced to forfeit all 31 wins from last season for using an ineligible player. The National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) handed down the ruling in May and after several appeals by Ranger, upheld their original decision yesterday.

The player in question, Joshua Simmons, played in every game last season, averaging 11.4 points and nine rebounds; however, because he applied to enter the NBA Draft in 2013, the NJCAA ruled him ineligible. Ranger College president Bill Campion claims Simmons' workout coach submitted his name to the Draft without his knowledge then took his name out...

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Carnie "Poochie" Norris

QuoteHerschel was a freshman and a great player, probably the greatest, but he was injured during the Ole Miss game. The player who finally replaced him that day had what could be called a career day. Carnie Norris, number three on the depth chart, finally got his a chance. He had 15 carries, 150 yards and scored a touchdown.  The game was very exciting as we struggled against John Fourcade and the Rebels and finally recovered an onside kick to preserve our fifth victory of the season.

Legendary AJC reporter Furman Bisher's column on the sports page the next morning was underneath a headline that read "Norris fires Bulldogs by Ole Miss." I bet there were a lot of people who thought, who is Norris?

Tailback Carnie Norris sophomore from Spartanburg S.C., began the game on the bench and out of sight of the depth chart at Georgia and ended up tailback of the hour in a 28-21 victory over Mississippi, a circumstance totally unanticipated by any of the 60,000 in the house, including Carnie Norris, and his coach Vince Dooley.

Norris is currently in Perry Correctional Institute in South Carolina for robbery.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

... non-automatic point after touchdown

https://twitter.com/JasonHButt/status/792023894336999424

QuoteThese days, it's a major talking point if a major Power 5 program is unable to field a consistent place-kicker, which is one who can hit just about any attempt up to 45 yards.

Prior to the modern era, kicking wasn't so simple. Extra points were even hard to come by and perhaps that was the design when initially created to follow touchdowns. The point-after attempt was often an adventure itself, which caused field-goal attempts to not occur too often.

There's no better example why than the 1941 Georgia-Florida game.

Georgia head coach Wally Butts was in his third season and hadn't even attempted a field goal before the Nov. 8, 1941 between the two teams. Georgia did have an extra-point kicker by the name of Leo Costa, who went by the nickname "Never Miss" because he made a significant number of his point-after attempts.

But in the 1941 Georgia-Florida game, the Bulldogs were leading 9-3 and threatening from the Florida 10-yard line in the third quarter. Yes, Florida place-kicker Paul Eller made a 17-yard field goal early on but actually missed two extra points two weeks prior against Maryland that cost the Gators the game.

Georgia's drive ended up stalling and the Bulldogs faced a fourth down. All-everything Frank Sinkwich had been unstoppable throughout the game and had already scored a touchdown. So facing a fourth-and-goal, Butts decided against Costa and called Sinkwich's number for the field-goal try.

And lo and behold, Sinkwich, who finished as Heisman Trophy runner-up that season and won it the following year, split the uprights to increase Georgia's lead to nine. The Bulldogs, thanks to another Sinkwich touchdown in the fourth quarter, would beat Florida 19-3.

"As it's described, he hit it right down the middle," said Patrick Garbin, who has authored seven Georgia football books on the history of the program.

It was a strange occurrence for Georgia to kick a field goal. The previous time Georgia made a field goal against Florida came in 1919 by David A. Collings Jr.

While Butts gave Sinkwich the chance to make that field goal, he rarely did so for anyone else. Garbin said he once talked to former Georgia running back Charley Trippi, who played for Butts in 1942, 1945 and 1946 (he missed time during his college tenure to serve in World War II).

Trippi told Garbin that he once suggested to Butts that Georgia should kick a field goal during a game. Butts' response was apparently something to the effect of, "A field goal? What are you talking about?"

The one who made that field goal against the Gators in 1941, Sinkwich, had quite a day against the Gators, and did so while recovering from a broken jaw sustained earlier in the season. After one contraption failed, Sinkwich, according to a story written by the Florida Times-Union, had a piece of metal melted down to fit his chin to the point where he could absorb hits on the football field.

jbcarol

...2011 LSU-Alabama 'Game of the Century' participants

Quote45 players from those teams went on to be drafted into the NFL.

Trent Richardson (RB, Alabama)- Richardson was taken with the third pick in the first round by the Browns that year and by now can be considered somewhat of a bust. The Baltimore Ravens signed him in 2016 but he was later waived.

Morris "Mo" Claiborne (CB, LSU)- The LSU product was taken three spots after Richardson by the Dallas Cowboys. His career has been plagued slightly by injury, but the Cowboys resigned him to a one-year $3 million deal.

Courtney Upshaw (LB, Alabama)- He started in 51 of 64 games for the Baltimore Ravens from 2012-15 collecting 110 tackles and five sacks. Upshaw signed a one-year deal with the Falcons...

Rueben Randle (WR, LSU)-  Randle spent four seasons with the New York Giants, who took him in the second round in 2012. He caught 20 touchdowns with 188 receptions and over 2,000 yards receiving over that span. He signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles in the offseason, which then released him.

Barkevious Mingo (DE, LSU)- Mingo was taken with the sixth overall pick by the Browns in 2014 and turned into a linebacker.

Eddie Lacy (RB, Alabama)- Lacy was a pro bowler and named AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2o13. Injuries have plagued his last two seasons and he most recently went on injured reserve after just five games in 2016.

Tyrann Mathieu (CB, LSU)- Mathieu was dismissed from the Tigers' program the following season and then decided to enter the NFL Draft. His most productive year to date was in 2015, when he had five interceptions and 17 passes defended which earned him a five-year extension with the Cardinals in the offseason.

Odell Beckham Jr (WR, LSU)- The Giants first round pick in 2014, it's been hard to miss Beckham in the news. His life changed with an incredible catch against the Cowboys and he's been known for his touchdown dances as well as relationships with the kicking net. He loves to wear fancy cleats and his warmup routine is can't miss.

C.J. Mosley (CB, Alabama)- Picked five spots after Beckham, Mosley has spent three seasons as a starting linebacker for the Ravens.

Jarvis Landry (WR, LSU)- The Dolphins second round pick in 2014 played opposite Beckham at LSU and has started 32 of 39 games in his career with Miami.

A.J. McCarron (QB, Alabama)- McCarron was chosen in the fifth round of the 2014 draft by the Bengals and continues to play second fiddle to Andy Dalton.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (S, Alabama)- Clinton Dix has been a staple at safety for the Packers the last three seasons...

jbcarol

jbcarol

...David Ross

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/794001212253278208

QuoteBainbridge, Ga., native played at Auburn in 1996 and 1997 before transferring to Florida to play for the Gators in 1998. He made the College World Series with both teams and was selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 19th round of the '98 draft.

39-year-old Ross is the oldest player to homer in World Series history.

https://twitter.com/TheBlogfines/status/793998491387236352

jbcarol

...Casey Dick

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/794200407581065217

Quote"The SEC West is just brutal," he said. "I think if you take any team — I don't care what conference you're in — and you put 'em in the SEC West, it's gonna be a different conference for anybody. You put Clemson in there. You put Ohio State in there. You put Florida State in the SEC and let 'em play those teams week in, week out ... I'm not saying those teams aren't good football teams, but it's on a different level."

Dick — currently an offensive coordinator and social studies teacher at Bentonville (Ark.) High School — was willing to talk some Razorbacks football, too.

"I think it's definitely been a successful year," he said. "They've found some answers that they wanted, especially at critical positions.

"There are some guys that can stand in the pocket a take a hit a couple times, but it's like Austin could stare down the barrel of a gun consistently, take a hit and deliver the ball," Dick said. "If you haven't seen Arkansas play, that kid can stand in the pocket. Whether you got a linebacker rushing or a 6-6, 285-pound defensive end rushing, he's gonna deliver the ball if he's gotta take the hardest hit he's ever taken. And he'll do it for 75 plays in a row to put his team in the best position to win the game."

He'll likely return to lead the Arkansas offense again next season, and will have a chance to catch Dick at No. 6 on the Hogs' all-time passing list (5,856 yards).

Topping Dick's overall resumé will be tough, though; During his time as a starter between 2005-2008, the Razorbacks took down a No. 1 team (LSU in '07), won the West in '06 and reached the Cotton Bowl following the '07 season.

Asked to pick his favorite moment, Dick couldn't do it.

"There were a couple games against LSU," he said. "We beat them when they were No. 1. The last game that I played in — and one of the most fun games — was Tennessee when 'College Gameday' was there. All those little memories and flashes of things come right before you, and you've gotta try to put them all together, but those three games would certainly be ones that I think were some of the best games we played."

He said he still watches every Razorbacks game, and will make at least one more appearance at Reynolds Stadium this season.

Adding that coach Bret Bielema has the team trending in the right direction, Dick said there's a psychological approach within the program that he takes pride in.

"We forget about everything else," he said (perhaps alluding to the crowded, so-called brutal SEC West), "and just worry about ourselves."

jbcarol

...Bill Stanfill

College Football Hall of Famer and former Georgia defensive lineman Bill Stanfill died Thursday at the age of 69, of health complications from a recent fall.

Stanfill, a 1968 All-American, died in hospice care in Albany

QuoteA former Outland Trophy winner, Stanfill was on two SEC title teams in his four-year career from 1966-68. Stanfill was a three-time All-SEC honoree with the Bulldogs.

He went on to be the 11th-overall pick by the Miami Dolphins in the 1969 NFL draft. With Miami, he finished second for AFL Rookie of the Year and went on to win two Super Bowls. He was a member of the 1972 Dolphins team that was the only pro football team in modern history to finish the season undefeated.

jbcarol

...Bill Ransdell

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/797424149518020608

QuoteBill Ransdell was at quarterback for the Wildcats on that Nov. 24, 1984 afternoon at Neyland Stadium. It was the last regular season game of the season for coach Jerry Claiborne's Kentucky team. The Wildcats would go on to beat Wisconsin in the Hall of Fame Bowl a month later.

Tony Robinson was under center for the Johnny Majors-coached Vols. Tennessee had won five out of the last six matchups against the Wildcats before 1984.

The atmosphere

"It was phenomenal," Ransdell said. "I think even then they had 100,000, 95,000 people. I mean, when they get loud, it is something to be there and be around. LSU was interesting as well, but I'm telling you, it was electric..."

The rivalry: Then vs. now

"I think if somebody doesn't win at some point and shake it up on the field, it can get a little stale," Ransdell said.

jbcarol

...Neal Brown

Mark Story ‏@markcstory 21h21 hours ago

Neal Brown & Troy crack the AP Top 25

John Zenor Verified account
‏@jzenor

Alabama is a unanimous No. 1 in the AP Top 25. Auburn drops 10 spots to No. 18 and....the Troy Trojans are ranked for the first time: No. 25

Former Kentucky WR and OC

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on November 11, 2016, 07:15:19 am
...Bill Stanfill

College Football Hall of Famer and former Georgia defensive lineman Bill Stanfill died Thursday at the age of 69, of health complications from a recent fall.

Stanfill, a 1968 All-American, died in hospice care in Albany

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/798204623572058114

QuoteATHENS — Bill Stanfill will be laid to rest today in Albany. He passed away this past Friday at the age of 69. Cause of death: Football.

That's not what will be on his death certificate. Technically, the legendary Georgia and NFL defensive end died of complications from surgery to repair a badly-broken leg suffered in a fall last week. But, ultimately, it was the football injuries that caused a lifetime of physical problems for Stanfill that killed him.

I had a long talk with Stan Stanfill, one of Bill's three sons, Saturday morning before the Auburn game, and that's what he thinks. Stan, a UGA letterman himself, filled in some of the blanks for me as far as what happened to his father last week and what his life had been like the past decade or so.

In short, it'd been rather miserable from a health standpoint. Bill Stanfill couldn't fully turn his head or tilt it back due to spinal fusion surgery. He walked in pain due to a laundry list of leg and hip injuries. He once bragged that he'd broken every bone in his body playing football, "some of them twice." Stanfill played for the Miami Dolphins during an era in the NFL when you took a shot and went back in the game if you got hurt.

"But he wasn't bitter about football," Stan told me. "He wouldn't have changed a thing. He loved football. It made him who he was."

I had not realized until Stan told me that his father was suffering from dementia at the time of his death. Stan said his father never complained much about the physical problems he was having to endure because of football. Came with the territory, he reasoned. But Stan said his father in lucid moments expressed frustration at the cognitive difficulties he was experiencing late in life.

Stanfill suffered numerous concussions during his career, so they're pretty sure he was yet another victim of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Stan said his father was part of the $1 billion class-action lawsuit filed by former NFL players.

"They sent his brain and his spine to Boston University," Stan Stanfill said of his father. "I expect something will probably come from that."

jbcarol

...Former Kentucky College Hall of Fame football player Bob Gain

Bob Gain, who played for the Wildcats from 1947-50, died at the age of 87 at Lake West Hospital in Willoughby...

Gain was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1980 and the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006.

QuoteGain played both offensive and defensive line for Kentucky. He won the Outland Trophy in 1950 as the country's Outstanding College Interior Football Lineman of the Year. Gain also helped the Wildcats win the SEC title and the Sugar Bowl that season, in which they were declared national champions several decades later.

Five-time pro bowler for the Browns.

One of Gain's more memorable moments while at Kentucky was the day he was going to "Whip Coach Bryant's Butt."

QuoteGain: "I started running off at the mouth about how I was going to challenge him to a fight and take out my frustration on him."

Bryant: "I was moving to the front door even before the door bell rang. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, how I was going to deal with an unusual situation, but I was ready to teach him a lesson."

Gain: "Fortunately, it didn't get to that point and he taught me one valuable lesson. I am thankful for what Coach Bryant did for me at Kentucky. He made me a man and a better football player."

Jackrabbit Hog

Marcus Lattimore.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/marcus-lattimore-named-high-school-football-coach-in-south-carolina/

Great to see him having success after the cruel hand that college football dealt him.  Always loved his attitude.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

... Blake Sims, Trent Richardson and John Parker

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/799438899168899072

QuoteAlabama needed an athletic quarterback to simulate Texas A&M quarterback Trevor Knight. Saban said Sims was also looking for a place to train after being cut by the Falcons, so the timing worked out.

Former Alabama stars Trent Richardson and John Parker Wilson simulated Leonard Fournette and Danny Etling, respectively, during LSU week.

"Now everybody's complaining that we did it, and they want to change the rule. Well, we didn't break any rules," Saban said. "We did what you're allowed to do. If they want to change the rule, they can change the rule.

"I don't care what rules they change, they're the same for everybody. I just wish that people would quit complaining about what we do, that's allowed by the rules, and why don't they just do it?"

NCAA bylaw 14.2.1.6, titled "Exception — Former Student Participating in Practice on an Occasional Basis" allowed Alabama to use Sims, Wilson and Richardson on scout team.

The bylaw states, "A former student at the certifying institution (e.g., former student-athlete) may participate in an organized practice session on an occasional basis, provided the institution does not publicize the participation of the former student at any time before the practice session."

Saban didn't name anyone in particular, but it's easy to interpret that as a shot at Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly. Kelly called Alabama's use of former players on the scout team "ludicrous" and added that it "doesn't sound like college football to me."

Saban likened the criticism of this to when recruiting rules were changed to limit how much coaches could travel in the spring, and how much contact they could have with prospects.

The rule change, which took place in 2008, stated that coaches would not be allowed to recruit on the road during the spring. It was designed to prevent "bump-ins" between coaches and prospects when coaches were at high schools to talk to the coaching staffs.

It was called the "Saban rule."

jbcarol

...Sean Woods

Credit: Janet Worne Herald-Leader

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 11h11 hours ago

Report: Sean Woods suspended as Coach of Morehead State due to Investigation of Hostile treatment of players: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/sean-woods-suspended-at-morehead-state/ ...

QuoteAccording to Kennedy Hardman of ABC 36, the investigation comes after Morehead State players petitioned the NCAA to be able to transfer and play immediately, citing "mistreatment and a hostile environment" under Woods.

Morehead State University has suspended Sean Woods with pay effective immediately.  Morehead State issued the following statement:

"Resulting from complaints received, the institution has begun an investigation involving the head basketball coach. While we continue through the formal process, we believe it is prudent to suspend the coach until the investigation is finished," said Brian Hutchinson, director of athletics.

"Assistant Coach Preston Spradlin will serve as head coach in the interim until the investigation is completed. We have full confidence in Preston and his ability to lead our student-athletes both on and off the court. Since this is an ongoing process, we will be unable to comment further until this comes to a conclusion."

The Kentucky Unforgettable is 2-2 in his fifth season at Morehead State.  Since arriving in northeastern Kentucky in 2012, the Eagles are 77-65 under Woods.

When Woods played for Pitino, this was called Monday.

jbcarol

...Rex Chapman

https://twitter.com/johnclayiv/status/802545650239963136

QuotePerhaps no one in the Big Blue Nation is more thankful this holiday weekend than Rex Chapman.

Fourteen months ago, Kentucky basketball's former "King Rex" pleaded guilty to four felony counts of theft. He had used the self-checkout at an Apple Store in Scottsdale, Ariz., to steal merchandise and then sell the items for cash. He was addicted to painkillers. He subsequently entered a 28-day substance-abuse treatment program.

Today, he is back in the loving embrace of Kentucky basketball. He sits at courtside as a co-host of the pregame radio show. He interacts with players, coaches, fans and media. He looks fit enough to play. He is happy. He is grateful.

One of Eddie Sutton's teams after Chapman declared early for the NBA was nicknamed "The Young and the Rexless".

jbcarol

... Ex-Mizzou RB Trevon Walters

Missouri dismissed former RB Trevon Walters from the team before the season after he was charged with a felony, and he now faces another felony charge

QuoteWalters was already charged with receiving stolen property in August. Now a court has issued a warrant for his arrest on a charge of first-degree burglary because of an unrelated incident... accused of unlawfully entering a woman's apartment Oct. 31. After the woman had asked him to leave her apartment, he allegedly forced his way back in through the door. The woman threatened to call the police, at which point the charging document said Walters threw her phone on the ground and broke the screen.

The woman told police that Walters pushed her down twice. He allegedly fled the scene before police arrived.

There is another warrant for his arrest because he failed to appear for a case review related to his first felony charge.

Walters never played in a game for Missouri.

jbcarol

... Dani Wexelman

Courtesy: Dani Wex, muckraker

From 2011: When questioned by Wexelman about the place he called home just a week ago, Anderson was not the only person to answer the question

Quote"You talk a lot about family and loyalty and you left behind seven seniors at Mizzou.  But why was there no good-bye to Mizzou fans and the community you've been with for five years?"

Anderson, who served as an assistant coach at Arkansas for 17 years said, "We did a press release to all the fans," referring to a press release that was published on ArkansasRazorbacks.com.

"We had some great fans at Missouri," Anderson said.

When our reporters pressed further, the crowd of roughly 6,000 fans responded with a chorus of boos.

Dani Wex did not make the trip to Tulsa to ambush

jbcarol

...Former Mississippi State DL Quay Evans

MORTON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

A former Mississippi State defensive lineman and his brother have been arrested and charged in a shooting that killed one man and injured another.

When Quay Evans was being recruited from high school, Mississippi State Athletics says he was rated the top prospect in the state.

Now, the former defensive lineman and his brother are sitting in jail.

Quote24-year-old Quay and his 28-year-old brother, Samuel Evans were arrested in Morton without incident.

"We did remove some of his family members because of the possibility that he may still be armed, but he gave no resistance," said Scott County Sheriff Mike Lee.

The Scott County Sheriff's Office says they responded to a house on Martin Luther King Drive Saturday night to find a man named DJ Palmer had been shot and killed.

Another man, Eddie Dozier, was shot in the head. He's now at UMMC in critical condition.

"Investigators did a great job that night of speaking with as many people as they could. It was hard, but they did find some witnesses," said Sheriff Lee.

Quay Evans had also been arrested in July of last year for a separate shooting.

"He was a standout football player, and had chances with colleges, you hope that he did better," added Lee. "But in this business, unfortunately, you do see a lot of repeat offenders."

Sheriff Lee referenced two witnesses and mentioned that there are new people who are also coming forward.

"Anyone withholding evidence that may know of this or that may have been a witness there and not come forward - there could possibly be more criminal charges, felony charges against those people," Sheriff Lee added.

jbcarol

...Georgia superfan Mike 'Big Dawg' Woods

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/816852539664633857

QuoteThe man who painted a bulldog on his head for the better part of three decades in honor of his late father, Lee, and in support of his beloved Bulldogs died on Wednesday due to a cardiac issue. Woods was 65.

Raycom feature available via link