Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thank you Anderson

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 24, 2017, 12:54:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

I know nobody likes politics in sports but I would just like to praise Anderson for making your players stand for the Anthem!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Fan701

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on September 24, 2017, 12:54:20 pm
I know nobody likes politics in sports but I would just like to praise Anderson for making your players stand for the Anthem!
You're right no one likes politics in sports, so maybe Anderson should keep the team in the locker room during the anthem since it's become so politicized now, especially with what's been going on the last few days.  Keep them in the locker room to concentrate on the game, and it can't ever become an issue.

Dr. Starcs

ShadowHawg

MA didn't MAKE our guys do anything about the anthem. He did talk to the team about it and told them that his father had served in the military and that their family was proud of it. The team took his input to heart and chose to handle things the way they did.

He did provide strong leadership but he didn't force anything on them either.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 02:46:12 pm
MA didn't MAKE our guys do anything about the anthem. He did talk to the team about it and told them that his father had served in the military and that their family was proud of it. The team took his input to heart and chose to handle things the way they did.

He did provide strong leadership but he didn't force anything on them either.

I agree with you. That was the impression I got from what was reported. 
#NolanRichardsonCourt

MakingPlays

So, if his players choose to take a knee or grab arms or do anything other than what you envision someone should do during the Anthem it would change your opinion of him as a person?

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Fan701 on September 24, 2017, 01:13:01 pm
You're right no one likes politics in sports, so maybe Anderson should keep the team in the locker room during the anthem since it's become so politicized now, especially with what's been going on the last few days.  Keep them in the locker room to concentrate on the game, and it can't ever become an issue.
Yeah, the Pittsburgh Steelers (except for one who was an Army Vet) tried that today and were soundly booed by their own fans when they decided to make their entrance after the anthem played.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Fan701

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on September 24, 2017, 06:39:52 pm
  Yeah, the Pittsburgh Steelers (except for one who was an Army Vet) tried that today and were soundly booed by their own fans when they decided to make their entrance after the anthem played.
I'm not surprised they were booed, but they would have been booed more for taking a knee.  To some extent the president's recent words and tweets have made standing for the anthem a referendum on him and his policies.  Whatever your own opinion might be, I hope that you can understand that young black men might have second thoughts about seeming to endorse a president whose core of support appears to include white supremacists and neo-Nazis.  My fear is that some of our players might take a knee and suddenly national politics will overshadow our games and divide our fan base.  Hence I think it would be wise just to find a way to avoid the issue on court by perhaps not coming out till after the anthem.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on September 24, 2017, 06:39:52 pm

They played in Chicago

Big Nasty 34

Although I completely agree that there is still racism and police brutality, I absolutely hate the way Kaepernick started the disrespecting of our anthem and military. Yes, it's their first amendment right to protest, but find another way to bring these issues to light. It sure doesn't seem to be bringing unity, just more dissension.

BannerMountainMan

But is it odd that since 2013 there has been 112 police brutality kills and since their also has been 4,462 black on black cases, if they were taking a knee shouldn't they do it for these rappers that promote gangs, drugs, and violence?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Until a Razorback  men's basketballl team member decides to take a knee or announces an intention to do so, this needs no discussion here. Politics or trash is where this belongs.
Hogs up! Covid down!

MakingPlays

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on September 24, 2017, 08:25:46 pm
But is it odd that since 2013 there has been 112 police brutality kills and since their also has been 4,462 black on black cases, if they were taking a knee shouldn't they do it for these rappers that promote gangs, drugs, and violence?

You do realize there is different organizations/people that deal with different issues correct? 

By your logic, I should tell people that focus on bringing awareness to breast cancer that they need to be focusing their attention on fighting HIV/Aids instead. 

The football players/Kapernick are bringing awareness to police brutality and injustices to minorities, black on black crime has absolutely nothing to do with that.  The same way white on white crimes, suicides, robberies, homicides, etc. have nothing to do with that.  They are completely separate issues and each has their own organizations and people working on improving those. 

Temprees

Quote from: MakingPlays on September 24, 2017, 08:46:34 pm
You do realize there is different organizations/people that deal with different issues correct? 

By your logic, I should tell people that focus on bringing awareness to breast cancer that they need to be focusing their attention on fighting HIV/Aids instead. 

The football players/Kapernick are bringing awareness to police brutality and injustices to minorities, black on black crime has absolutely nothing to do with that.  The same way white on white crimes, suicides, robberies, homicides, etc. have nothing to do with that.  They are completely separate issues and each has their own organizations and people working on improving those. 

Perfect reply. Thanks.

Fan701

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 24, 2017, 08:31:15 pm
Until a Razorback  men's basketballl team member decides to take a knee or announces an intention to do so, this needs no discussion here. Politics or trash is where this belongs.
Disagree.  Someone is going to take a knee this season in college basketball, whether at Arkansas or somewhere else.  We should be prepared for it and have a policy in place like staying in the locker room during the anthem so that it won't divide our fan base and cause endless distraction and disunity on the team.  The president has laid down the gauntlet, agree with his point of view or be fired, and made this issue much bigger than it was a week ago. These young black men are old enough and experienced enough to be able to hear the dog whistles now when the president tweets them.  Obviously, most of those taking a knee are black, so the president is disingenuous to say this has nothing to do with race.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of the players decide to push back.  We should be prepared for it.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Fan701 on September 24, 2017, 07:10:09 pm
I'm not surprised they were booed, but they would have been booed more for taking a knee.  To some extent the president's recent words and tweets have made standing for the anthem a referendum on him and his policies.  Whatever your own opinion might be, I hope that you can understand that young black men might have second thoughts about seeming to endorse a president whose core of support appears to include white supremacists and neo-Nazis.  My fear is that some of our players might take a knee and suddenly national politics will overshadow our games and divide our fan base.  Hence I think it would be wise just to find a way to avoid the issue on court by perhaps not coming out till after the anthem.
.......but, but, that wouldn't allow them to achieve their goal of bring attention to themselves..
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Pinto

Please keep this off of this forum!

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 24, 2017, 08:31:15 pm

Thank you! Go to Facebook or Twitter with this crap!

The_Iceman

It is powerful that Nolan Richardson, a man who has actually faced real racial persecution in his life unlike most of these NBA and NFL stars, said he would never allow his players to kneel for the National Anthem.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Fan701

BTW.  John Wooden used to keep his teams in the locker room during the national anthem for the very same reason we should.  Why ask for trouble and controversy?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Fan701 on September 25, 2017, 05:52:26 pm
BTW.  John Wooden used to keep his teams in the locker room during the national anthem for the very same reason we should.  Why ask for trouble and controversy?
if standing for the National Anthem is asking for trouble then I think some people got their priorities messed up.

rtr

Mike has more political savvy than our AD
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

HotlantaHog

Keep them in locker room like the football team. Why ask for controversy one way or another?

HouSwine

So proud of the way JJ handled it last night, and the entire NFL.

Wooderson

Quote from: Temprees on September 25, 2017, 03:32:12 am
Perfect reply. Thanks.

Oh really?  So if I had 100 million to give to a medical cause and gave all of it to combat male breast cancer that would be prudent?  Makes sense.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Pistol Pig Maravich

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 24, 2017, 07:30:52 pm
They played in Chicago for about 1 quarter!

Corrected it for you. So PO'd my team did not show up. Was a long football weekend for me.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Wooderson on September 26, 2017, 11:31:09 am
Oh really?  So if I had 100 million to give to a medical cause and gave all of it to combat male breast cancer that would be prudent?  Makes sense.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  But, as I said in my post, different organizations focus on different issues, I didn't realize people didn't know that LOL.

Wooderson

Quote from: MakingPlays on September 26, 2017, 12:55:45 pm
I have no idea what you're talking about.  But, as I said in my post, different organizations focus on different issues, I didn't realize people didn't know that LOL.

Of course I do, but you're telling me there is not a method of prioritizing causes for effect? 

The house is on fire and the activists are trying to clean up a glass of spilled water. Kaepernick has the attention of the whole country and is he addressing black on black violence, poverty in black community, or single parent households in the black community?  No because it's not glamorous enough or doesn't fit his narrative.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

cityhog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 24, 2017, 08:23:17 pm
find another way to bring these issues to light.

such as.....People march, that's disrespectful to people who use the streets to drive. People shout slogans, that hurts people's ears and scares them because they're shouting angry slogans. People take a silent knee and that's disrespectful to the flag and the military. People speak to the media about their grievances and suddenly the media is biased and disrespectful to the other side of the coin for allowing these people to air their grievances.

I'm just curious what an 'appropriate' way for people to protest is these days? So that it doesn't disrespect anyone that is.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Wooderson on September 26, 2017, 01:16:35 pm
Of course I do, but you're telling me there is not a method of prioritizing causes for effect? 

The house is on fire and the activists are trying to clean up a glass of spilled water. Kaepernick has the attention of the whole country and is he addressing black on black violence, poverty in black community, or single parent households in the black community?  No because it's not glamorous enough or doesn't fit his narrative.

There's so much wrong with that I don't know where to start.... But let's do it.

I don't know what all they've been telling you on Fox News, but the black community isn't just sitting on fire and there's nothing but black on black violence, poverty, and single parent households as you put it.  I'm black and haven't dealt with any of those things you've mentioned and live in a nice neighborhood crime free and so do the vast majority of my friends and the people I know, and I know a lot of people.  I actually don't even know any black people personally that have been a victim of a black on black murder or any type of serious crime.  Usually those are issues that are more common in the big inner cities where there's a lot of gangs and stuff like that.  Those things you mentioned aren't something all black people deal with, some do deal with it, and a lot do live in lower income places the same way some white people live in low income areas with more crime.  Black on black crime is publicized more because of places like Chicago where it's really really bad, but most black people don't live in Chicago. 

Now getting back to the topic, my whole point is different people/organization focus on different issues.  Black on Black crime and White on White crime or whatever other injustices are completely separate issues from police brutality.  Just because somebody chooses to focus their attention on one issue, doesn't mean they don't care about another issue, the issue they are dealing with may be something more personal for them or an issue they feel doesn't get enough attention and they want to bring awareness to it.  For example, somebody who lost a love one to Alzheimer Disease, may be more inclined to start bringing awareness to this disease and may focus all their efforts on trying to fight this.  Does this mean they don't care about Breast Cancer, Aids, Heart Disease, or Lung Cancer?  Absolutely not, but this is the area they choose to focus their efforts and nothing is wrong with that.  If you can't understand that basic logic, I can't help you.