Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much Carcoal do you use and your favorite brand.

Started by DeltaBoy, July 07, 2012, 04:22:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

I got a Weber and I have been using a Charcoal Starter full to grill but it doesn't seem to be enough charcoal.
I am using Kingsford is something better? and how much more should I use.

My Charcoal starter is a Weber also.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dillar Dog

Lazzari.  if there's something better I'd like to know about it.

Boarcephus

I use Ozark Oak Bulk Charcoal and am tickled with it.  $5 for 10 pounds and it's great.  BGE sells their for around $25 for 20 pounds and I'm not paying that.  Sams has a cheap brand but I've heard it sucks.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Lanny

Don't use lighter fluid and go with Charwood, no charcoal
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Slacker

Charcoal lighter fluid. Just spray it on your meal.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ImHogginIt

When I grill at home I always use Kingsford Original with a little bit of lighter fluid. When I'm tailgating I use Kingsford Matchlight for the convenience. I've never tasted or smelled any lighter fluid in anything I've grilled either.

Slacker

Quote from: bgstoby on July 07, 2012, 11:55:16 pm
When I grill at home I always use Kingsford Original with a little bit of lighter fluid. When I'm tailgating I use Kingsford Matchlight for the convenience. I've never tasted or smelled any lighter fluid in anything I've grilled either.

The Q snobs are going to tell you to use a chimmney. I use lighter fluid. When the coals ash over...I cook. Oh, I should also mention...I don't trim my spare ribs. Yep. So....there is that.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Shag66 on July 08, 2012, 12:59:38 am
loser

Delta.  For your Weber Kettle Kingsford is fine.  You can use Lump Charcoal if you want and it will burn hotter and last longer.  For regular burgers or chicken or stuff like that you don't necessarily want the extra heat so use Kingsford.

Don't use match light.  It makes your food taste like lighter fluid. 

Also, to get more time out of your charcoal when you are using your kettle, put a full chimney of unlit charcoal down in the grill and then add a 1/2 chimney of lit charcoal to the middle of it.  That will let the fire not get as hot and the unlit charcoal will light itself and extend your cooking time.

What is the longest burning thing to use when smoking without spending a lot of cash

Slacker

Quote from: Shag66 on July 08, 2012, 12:59:38 am
loser

Delta.  For your Weber Kettle Kingsford is fine.  You can use Lump Charcoal if you want and it will burn hotter and last longer.  For regular burgers or chicken or stuff like that you don't necessarily want the extra heat so use Kingsford.

Don't use match light.  It makes your food taste like lighter fluid. 

Also, to get more time out of your charcoal when you are using your kettle, put a full chimney of unlit charcoal down in the grill and then add a 1/2 chimney of lit charcoal to the middle of it.  That will let the fire not get as hot and the unlit charcoal will light itself and extend your cooking time.

See! I toldja! Oh...and in B4 Shag...again. I am going to crap in his BGE.

Tim Harris

I'm a big fan of Ozark Oak as well. I also like the Kingsford competition but it is expensive and hard to find at times.

Jeffcphog

No charcoal for me.  I use 100% pecan wood hand started from a match and kindling.  Pecan is a mild smoke and tastes great.  One fill up of wood lasts about 10 hours slow cooking.  It's also cheap, costing only chain saw fuel.

Slacker

Quote from: Jeffcphog on July 08, 2012, 10:36:43 am
No charcoal for me.  I use 100% pecan wood hand started from a match and kindling.  Pecan is a mild smoke and tastes great.  One fill up of wood lasts about 10 hours slow cooking.  It's also cheap, costing only chain saw fuel.

I'm down. Where ya at?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boar on July 07, 2012, 09:09:25 pm
Nothing but Ozark Oak here.  Harp's Grocery sells it. I pick it up at the factory near Yellville for $3 something for a 10 lb. bag.  I can load 32 bags in my Yukon.  It's lump with zero additives and an extremely low level of trash(rocks, dust, ect) that I've seen in every other brands of lump I've tried.  The pieces are larger than most lump brands, too.  You can cook hot and fast or low and slow with lump.

Stopped by Harp's a few minutes ago and they had Ozark Oak on sale for $4.98 a 10 pound bag.   Bought 3 of them to go with what I had left.   Should be good to go for awhile.

Boar, made the chicken thighs today and they were great.  Used a liberal dose of Cain's BBQ Spice and John Henry's Pecan Rub before I threw them on the egg.  Took a big bite out of the first one and noticed some pretty good heat.  I've mixed the two before with good results.  Went back in my spice cabinet to see what I might have done and I didn't realize it till I checked but John Henry's makes a "Hot" variety of the Pecan Rub and I'd bought it and used it for the first time today.  Senility is great, need to try it sometimes.  ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Slacker

Quote from: Boar on July 08, 2012, 05:52:15 pm
Once you figure out the right amount of rub and the rub you like...it's a fail safe recipe.  Kinda like the wife's beer bread.  Sure hope to find more easy things to cook in here.

We're fortunate to have more than a few great cooks at Tailgate Central.

Shag makes great ABTs.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boar on July 08, 2012, 05:52:15 pm
Once you figure out the right amount of rub and the rub you like...it's a fail safe recipe.

It's a fail safe recipe provided you can read the damn labels!!

twistitup

July 08, 2012, 07:20:13 pm #16 Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:45:18 pm by twistitup
Ozark Oak

Yellville or Bust
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tim Harris

Quote from: Boar on July 08, 2012, 05:42:46 pm
I talked to a competition bbq'er from Hot Springs...he swears by the Kingsford Competition and says one load last for 10 hours in his Backwoods Party smoker.  Home Depot usually stocks it.

Yeah when I do have it I only use it in the smoker. It lasts a long time and holds temp well.

I've never seen it at my local Home Depot but have found another place that will order it for me.

rcopela

I tried the Ozark Lump about a year ago, all I use now..

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Shag66 on July 08, 2012, 09:41:42 am
In my egg I only use lump.  I use Ozark Oak or Redneck Lump. Ozark Oak burns hotter. 

In my WSM I used Kingsford because it was more consistent. I know a lot of people that use Lump in their WSM's.  It will last longer once you learn how to watch it. If you do use lump in your WSM (or Kettle for that matter) you will want to get some wire mesh to put under the fire ring. 

Thanks Shagg! 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

I would like to get some Osark Oak but they don't sell it in TX.   I got a bag of HEB this time and it gets good local reviews.  It was 6 bucks for 16 pounds.

jdelo77

I was just at harps and saw that they carry KINGSFORD competition ... 11 bucks for a 11 pound bag ...

DadVader1

July 09, 2012, 02:53:56 pm #22 Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:03:17 pm by DadVader1
I stock up on Kingsford during the 2-for-1 sales on Memorial Day & Labor Day.  I use that in my WSM.  I've recently become a fan of lump for grilling.  Royal Oak lump (the one made in the US) is widely available in WalMart, is fairly inexpensive, and gets very good reviews (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm).  [EDIT: I just noticed that Ozark Oak gets rave reviews there.  I don't live near a Harp's but will have to try to remember to get some the next time I pass a Harp's.]

I'm usually only grilling for two, so I like using the Weber charcoal briquette holders ( http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7403-Char-Basket-Charcoal-Briquet/dp/B000WEMGM4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1341863244&sr=8-7&keywords=weber+charcoal+accessories) They're good for using less charcoal for direct grilling when you aren't grilling much, and they're good for indirect grilling.  Of course, you could do something similar with bricks.

Guinness Snout

im a royal oak fan myself.  i use the regular charcoal.  i haven't used their lump so i can comment on that one.  i do know that royal oak makes charcoal and lump for various companies: best choice, wal-mart brand, BGE, and some others.  As for lighter fluid i use it and the chimney starter.

hoosier

I use lump charcoal most of the time. Sometimes I use Kingsford. I just use newspaper to light the charcoal. Just wad up 4-5 pieces under the charcoal and starts right up.

DeltaBoy

I found Ozark Oak in Fort Worth and I will get some Thanks I remember using Royal Oak in College and it is available down here.   I went to Eqypt about 1990 and roamed the Gas Grill waste land till 2 years ago when my BIL showed up at the house and cooked burgers and hot dogs on his Little Smokey Joe Weber.

Slacker

Quote from: hoosier on July 10, 2012, 07:26:16 am
I use lump charcoal most of the time. Sometimes I use Kingsford. I just use newspaper to light the charcoal. Just wad up 4-5 pieces under the charcoal and starts right up.

See, this is the PRIMARY reason I do not use the chimney method. Who the hell buys a newspaper anymore?

Lighter fluid is fine if you let your coals ash over first. Despite what Shag and the other award winning BBQ snobs say. it's fine.

DeltaBoy

I used to use Lighter fluid but since we get a local daily paper the Chimmany works for me.   I did use up some OLD lighter fluid to get some left over charcoal warmed up ! It was a Blast!

hoosier

Quote from: Slacker on July 10, 2012, 06:41:43 pm
See, this is the PRIMARY reason I do not use the chimney method. Who the hell buys a newspaper anymore?

Lighter fluid is fine if you let your coals ash over first. Despite what Shag and the other award winning BBQ snobs say. it's fine.
My wifes work gets a daily paper. No one reads it so she brings it home.

DeltaBoy

Well I got the Butcher to cut me 1 thick NY Strip Steaks that I am going to grill tomorrow.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 12, 2012, 10:16:46 pm
Well I got the Butcher to cut me 1 thick NY Strip Steaks that I am going to grill tomorrow.

My favorite thing to put on a ribeye or NY Strip is Cavender's

twistitup

Quote from: Slacker on July 10, 2012, 06:41:43 pm

Primary reason, lack of paper?

Hilarious
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jacobp

agreed.  If I don't have newspaper handy I just tear a couple small strips from the charcoal bag itself.

Tim Harris

Quote from: jacobp on July 13, 2012, 08:08:44 am
agreed.  If I don't have newspaper handy I just tear a couple small strips from the charcoal bag itself.

Or just wad up some paper towels....that is what I end up doing have the time.  Or those stupid flyers they cram in my mailbox every day.

Slacker

Bunch of darned tree killers up in here. I use organic charcoal.

Slacker

Slacker

Quote from: Shag66 on July 13, 2012, 07:40:45 pm
how very green of you...

just make sure the patties aren't green...

I use those as a finisher. Get a nice steaming affect. Adds color and aroma.

beebefootballfan

Don't ever get Dollar General brand.  It will take you 2 gallons of fluid and 3 hours to light.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Slacker

Quote from: beebefootballfan on July 14, 2012, 04:40:10 pm
Don't ever get Dollar General brand.  It will take you 2 gallons of fluid and 3 hours to light.
Have you seen the 'White Trash' Thread by Faytown?

DeltaBoy

Follow up ?  How do you relight you kingsford?  Do you put it back in the starter on pile it over some newspaper and lite the paper.

beebefootballfan

July 14, 2012, 07:06:01 pm #40 Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:12:08 pm by beebefootballfan
Quote from: Slacker on July 14, 2012, 04:59:08 pm
Have you seen the 'White Trash' Thread by Faytown?

Not yet.  Sadly i have been on this board for 7 years and untill this year i didn't look past extra innings

When we moved to memphis i left all my good grilling stuff in arkansas due to us moving to a rather theif heavy part of town.  I just went and bought one of those $50 aussie grills from Home Depot to make due.  I am normally a oak chip guy but for some reason that day i bought a bag of charcoal at dollar general thinking, "it can't be that bad".  Boy did i screw up.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Slacker

Quote from: beebefootballfan on July 14, 2012, 07:06:01 pm
Not yet.  Sadly i have been on this board for 7 years and untill this year i didn't look past extra innings

When we moved to memphis i left all my good grilling stuff in arkansas due to us moving to a rather theif heavy part of town.  I just went and bought one of those $50 aussie grills from Home Depot to make due.  I am normally a oak chip guy but for some reason that day i bought a bag of charcoal at dollar general thinking, "it can't be that bad".  Boy did i screw up.

Go to the Tavern section of the board. Check back with your findings.

beebefootballfan

Quote from: Slacker on July 14, 2012, 09:26:41 pm
Go to the Tavern section of the board. Check back with your findings.

Sad part is i am probably the only white guy that went into that particular DG that day.  Appears i am white trash.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 14, 2012, 06:50:25 pm
Follow up ?  How do you relight you kingsford?  Do you put it back in the starter on pile it over some newspaper and lite the paper.

anybody got an tech they will share?

jacobp

When I reuse charcoal (which isn't often) I normally start a little more fresh charcoal in the chimney and dump it over the used coals right after it all gets lit. don't wait for the coals in the chimney to ash over or your fire won't be hot enough by the time the used coals get lit.

DeltaBoy

DadVader1

I passed a Harp's on the way to the lake last weekend so stopped and bought some Ozark Oak lump to give it a try.  I have no complaints about the Royal Oak lump that I had used before, but I can see why so many of you are fans of Ozark Oak lump.  It is great stuff! Nice, consistent, decent size chunks with virtually no dust or tiny pieces.  Thanks for the heads up about it.

Slacker

Quote from: Shag66 on July 30, 2012, 05:21:39 pm
only drawback I have ever had with Ozark Oak is that it burns hotter...  When I am trying to lock in the Egg at 225* and it keeps wanting to play at 250* I get frustrated..  ;)

Other than that it is good good stuff...

You need me to show you how to BBQ?

DeltaBoy

Well the Steaks and the Chicken I have been cooking are turning out good.  98% of the time it is just Sea Salt and McCormicks Black and Red Pepper.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 21, 2012, 08:03:31 pm
Well the Steaks and the Chicken I have been cooking are turning out good.  98% of the time it is just Sea Salt and McCormicks Black and Red Pepper.

Slip out, buy you some McCormick's Grill Mates Bacon and Molasses seasoning, try it on your chicken over an indirect heat at 225 or so and tell me what you think.  Made chicken quarters this weekend and they were great.