Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Year's Baseball Team

Started by litmachog, May 26, 2006, 08:41:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ledhead830

May 27, 2006, 02:13:55 pm #50 Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 02:17:17 pm by ledhead830
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 27, 2006, 02:00:24 pm
Quote from: V. V. Hawg on May 27, 2006, 01:44:31 am
Quote from: ledhead830 on May 26, 2006, 10:18:36 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 26, 2006, 08:57:20 am
Wasn't there some huge 6'7 guy we signed out of highschool this year.  I think he was a first baseman.  Anyone know about this kid?

Murray Watts-batted close to .500, hitting 14 homers and 14 doubles while stiking out just 7 times in 137 at-bats...stands 6-7, 275 and maintained a 1.8 ERA with a 7-1 record for Jonesboro this season including a win over Bentonville in the state playoffs

I can say Murray IS NOT 275lbs.  At least he wasn't a month ago.  Last year, I saw several games he played in and I never knew the Hogs were looking at him.  I don't know him at all but I will tell you I've never seen him strike out.  Word is he wants to go to college but I've seen the $$$$ talk toooooo many times.  I really hope he chooses the college route so we can see our reighning Gatorade BB POY for this state a few more years.  Below is a link to an article archived in the Jboro Sun:

http://www.jonesborosun.com/archivedstory.php?ID=21997&Search=Watts

I was trying to post a link to all the stories in the Sun about Murray but it won't work.  If you have some time and want to read more; he made the headlines time after time, day after day this year.  Just go to archives and type in Watts in the sports catagory.  You won't be dissapointed as he's listed in 313 articles over his career!  Heck aswho's FB team won't have that many in archives, LOL!

V.V.  it said that he was a four year starter at Jonesboro.  I know (because I graduated from Jonesboro) that he must have played when he was still at Annie Camp or MacArthur Jr. High.  Can you tell me which he went to?

ALSO:

Did you guys see that the guys we got...almost ALL of them were being recruited by MAJOR D1 schools?  If we can get half of this class on campus...WATCH OUT.

Way to go Dave.

Annie Camp I believe, but i can't find a yearbook to completely check
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ledhead830 on May 27, 2006, 02:13:55 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 27, 2006, 02:00:24 pm
Quote from: V. V. Hawg on May 27, 2006, 01:44:31 am
Quote from: ledhead830 on May 26, 2006, 10:18:36 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 26, 2006, 08:57:20 am
Wasn't there some huge 6'7 guy we signed out of highschool this year.  I think he was a first baseman.  Anyone know about this kid?

Murray Watts-batted close to .500, hitting 14 homers and 14 doubles while stiking out just 7 times in 137 at-bats...stands 6-7, 275 and maintained a 1.8 ERA with a 7-1 record for Jonesboro this season including a win over Bentonville in the state playoffs

I can say Murray IS NOT 275lbs.  At least he wasn't a month ago.  Last year, I saw several games he played in and I never knew the Hogs were looking at him.  I don't know him at all but I will tell you I've never seen him strike out.  Word is he wants to go to college but I've seen the $$$$ talk toooooo many times.  I really hope he chooses the college route so we can see our reighning Gatorade BB POY for this state a few more years.  Below is a link to an article archived in the Jboro Sun:

http://www.jonesborosun.com/archivedstory.php?ID=21997&Search=Watts

I was trying to post a link to all the stories in the Sun about Murray but it won't work.  If you have some time and want to read more; he made the headlines time after time, day after day this year.  Just go to archives and type in Watts in the sports catagory.  You won't be dissapointed as he's listed in 313 articles over his career!  Heck aswho's FB team won't have that many in archives, LOL!

V.V.  it said that he was a four year starter at Jonesboro.  I know (because I graduated from Jonesboro) that he must have played when he was still at Annie Camp or MacArthur Jr. High.  Can you tell me which he went to?

ALSO:

Did you guys see that the guys we got...almost ALL of them were being recruited by MAJOR D1 schools?  If we can get half of this class on campus...WATCH OUT.

Way to go Dave.

Annie Camp I believe, but i can't find a yearbook to completely check

That is too bad.  I was a Douglas MacArthur boy.
Retired Radio Host

ledhead830

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

ledhead830

RAZORBART

With the number and quality of recruits we signed this year, several of our current strikeout artist best spend the summer in the batting cage.

hogman64

Strikeout artist we do have... we have 4 players that have struck out in excess of 20% of their plate appearances this year....Dugger,Hollensworth,Hamblin and Parker...We have two that have struck out in excess of 25% of their plate appearances........Forsythe and Hum....No big wonder we lead the league ..............

Chinese Emperor

Quote from: hogman64 on May 27, 2006, 03:13:26 pm
Strikeout artist we do have... we have 4 players that have struck out in excess of 20% of their plate appearances this year....Dugger,Hollensworth,Hamblin and Parker...We have two that have struck out in excess of 25% of their plate appearances........Forsythe and Hum....No big wonder we lead the league ..............

I wonder if the new batting coach is catching a little heat from DVH for this?

hogman64

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on May 28, 2006, 07:57:16 am

Well you would  think he could be catching a little heat... Dugger's K % is the same as last year , while Hamblin, Parker and Hollensworth are striking out more frequently than a year ago. Of course, Forsythe and Hum were not on the team last year ..... Makes you wonder what Butler has been teaching these guys??

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ledhead830 on May 27, 2006, 02:32:54 pm
2004 from JHS

Yeah...I'm an old guy...I graduated in 88.  Lived on MacArthur Drive, just behind the school.
Retired Radio Host

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on May 28, 2006, 07:57:16 am

Saw a few days ago someone checked Bama's and our batting averages for last season and this one.  Coach Butler was with Bama last season.

Interestingly, Bama's average went up, and ours went down.  Oooooops!

pork and mindy

While it would be hard to adjust to losing Parker, Hamblin, and Dugger as well as the seniors, DVH has always been a great recruiter. Not good, great. How many times have we plugged true freshman in due to injuries only for them to knock the cover off the ball? We would be a young team, but i'm confident there is going to be a LOT of talent on campus next year no matter what. After all, didn't DVH say this was his best recruiting class yet?