Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog Baseball?

Started by Brosshog, May 15, 2006, 07:33:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brosshog

Does anyone think that we need to swing the bats a little more? I noticed this weekend that we went down looking a lot more than we should. Is this DVH idea to try and wear down the starting pitchers for the other teams or are the players affraid to swing the bats? In my opinion I would rather go down swinging than to stand there and watch a called third strike.

PorcineSublime

A couple of weekends ago, it was a "point of emphasis" by DVH that his guys not strike out looking(as noted by the local media). Seems like we are still having trouble with it. I can promise you that everyone who struck out looking knows the wrath of Dave.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

CharlieHog

Taking pitches early in the game is a good strategy, but that's totally different than bottom of the 8th, runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs with a tied game. All you need is a fly ball to the outfield to take the lead.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: CharlieHog on May 15, 2006, 08:11:52 am
Taking pitches early in the game is a good strategy, but that's totally different than bottom of the 8th, runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs with a tied game. All you need is a fly ball to the outfield to take the lead.

Eggsacktly!!!

How many times this season have we stranded men at 3rd?

The thing that is really frustrating is having a man at 3rd with less than 2 out, and still not being able to bring him home!  We have done that a lot this year.

Brosshog

I'm just glad that it's not just me that see's this going on. I was so pissed Saturday watching it on TV.

maniax22bolts20

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 15, 2006, 07:56:20 am
A couple of weekends ago, it was a "point of emphasis" by DVH that his guys not strike out looking(as noted by the local media). Seems like we are still having trouble with it. I can promise you that everyone who struck out looking knows the wrath of Dave.
As well he should. At least afterwards we'll be on track to tear through the rest of the season.

Porkerpower

I love DVH, first off, but why in God's creation wern't we squeezing in the go ahead run in the game yesterday?  If our guys just can't put the bat on the ball, as DVH stated after the game, then all the MORE reason to squeeze.  MAKE THE DEFENSE EXICUTE.  TWICE!  You stay out of the double play, and advance the other runners.  And if we fail to score trying two consecutive squeezes, then I can live with that.
We sit on the bases way to often waiting on that big hit for my blood.  I believe in the onesy, twosy method of baseball.  Advancing runners, hit and run, squeeze plays, straight steals.  Get those early runs one at a time.  It's called baseball.  We don't have the big bats to just sit back and wait for the big hits.  We're NOT the Bronx Bombers!!

But reguardless,  Go Hogs!!!!!!

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 09:26:08 am
I love DVH, first off, but why in God's creation wern't we squeezing in the go ahead run in the game yesterday?  If our guys just can't put the bat on the ball, as DVH stated after the game, then all the MORE reason to squeeze.  MAKE THE DEFENSE EXICUTE.  TWICE!  You stay out of the double play, and advance the other runners.  And if we fail to score trying two consecutive squeezes, then I can live with that.
We sit on the bases way to often waiting on that big hit for my blood.  I believe in the onesy, twosy method of baseball.  Advancing runners, hit and run, squeeze plays, straight steals.  Get those early runs one at a time.  It's called baseball.  We don't have the big bats to just sit back and wait for the big hits.  We're NOT the Bronx Bombers!!

We did attempt a squeeze, and Parker didn't get the bunt down.

chiefsfan

We did squeeze, Parker Blew the Bunt
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

CharlieHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 15, 2006, 11:36:22 am

We did squeeze, Parker Blew the Bunt

Why would you reply to a post 2 hours after I did to post exactly the same thing?

Just wondering.

Porkerpower

They only attempted the squeeze play ONE TIME.  That's not good enough.  Van Horn said he viewed the squeeze with the bases loaded as a sign of weakness.  I strongly disagree.  Especially when you view your own bats as being "weak".
Don't argue with me on this one.  You're wrong.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 12:33:10 pm
They only attempted the squeeze play ONE TIME.  That's not good enough.  Van Horn said he viewed the squeeze with the bases loaded as a sign of weakness.  I strongly disagree.  Especially when you view your own bats as being "weak".
Don't argue with me on this one.  You're wrong.

Sorry but Brian Walker and Blake Parker should be good for at least a fly ball to the outfield, if not a hit. And Forsythe was up with 2 outs so he's not going to squeeze.

Squeezing in that situation is dumb.

Porkerpower

If DVH didn't have confidence in the guys at the plate, then the bunt becomes the obvious thing to do.  With the bases loaded, and the pitcher in the full windup, as he was, if the play is exacuted correctly, it cannot be stopped, not even with a ball thrown 4 feet outside.
It's fundamental baseball my freind.  Not a sign of weakness at all.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 12:39:38 pm
If DVH didn't have confidence in the guys at the plate, then the bunt becomes the obvious thing to do.  With the bases loaded, and the pitcher in the full windup, as he was, if the play is exacuted correctly, it cannot be stopped, not even with a ball thrown 4 feet outside.
It's fundamental baseball my freind.  Not a sign of weakness at all.

except for the fact that we can't bunt, okay.

Porkerpower

and it was runners on 2nd and 3rd, NO OUTS.

Squeeze, squeeze.

Porkerpower

any major college team that cannot bunt should find another coach.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 12:41:32 pm
and it was runners on 2nd and 3rd, NO OUTS.

Squeeze, squeeze.

Okay let's squeeze. We're up by 1. They scored in the 9th with no outs, so it's reasonable that they would have scored again, since Collis was getting jacked all over the park. We still lose.

We have to have a hit from upper classmen in that situation. Bottom line.

Porkerpower

bunting is very simple.  ANYONE can bunt if it is practiced.

Porkerpower

If both sides make zero mistakes in that situation, we would score TWO runs.  Remember, 2nd and 3rd with Zero outs.  We squeeze twice, sucessfully, we score twice.  And I would even squeeze with 2 strikes if I was afraid my hitter couldn't make contact.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 12:48:14 pm
If both sides make zero mistakes in that situation, we would score TWO runs.  Remember, 2nd and 3rd with Zero outs.  We squeeze twice, sucessfully, we score twice.  And I would even squeeze with 2 strikes if I was afraid my hitter couldn't make contact.

have you even SEEN us play this year?

Porkerpower

We did what we did, and nothing can change that. 

It's just a telling thing to me to hear the head coach say after the game that in his opinion, squeezing with the bases loaded is a sign of weakness.  (I could just hear Tim McCarver explaining how that is not correct.)

Porkerpower

Son, I've forgotten more about the game than you know.

And yep, I have seem em play this year.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 12:51:13 pm
We did what we did, and nothing can change that. 

It's just a telling thing to me to hear the head coach say after the game that in his opinion, squeezing with the bases loaded is a sign of weakness.  (I could just hear Tim McCarver explaining how that is not correct.)

So I take it you have not seen us play this year.

It is a sign of weakness. It means, we can't do darn with runners in scoring position, even with no outs. So I better do something drastic and desperate and hope we can cling to this one run lead for the next inning (which, we wouldn't have, so it's a moot point.)

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 12:52:15 pm
Son, I've forgotten more about the game than you know.

And yep, I have seem em play this year.

ha.

TuckFexas

Porkerpower, please give it up. The squeeze play is only effective if it is used when the opposing team does not expect it. Do you know what a pitcher's job is if he sees or expects the squeeze? Play some chin music. It's nearly impossible for the hitter to lay down the bunt successfully, then the catcher just applies the tag. Should the hitter make contact with a pitch up and in, he's likely going to pop it up, increasing the chances of a double, or in this case, triple play. It's not illogical to think you can get a run or two across with your 5, 6, and 7 hole hitters with 0 outs. It was simply piss-poor execution on the part of each batter.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Porkerpower

Drastic?  Desperate?  It's called winning a big game, not concerned with how it gets done. 

I bet DVH is kicking himself in the a#$ for NOT squeezing AT LEAST the go ahead run in.  He knows he made a bad decesion there, guarenteed.

And again, a baseball mind knows that once you get that go ahead run with just three outs to go, that changes the entire mental thinking of Ole Miss, and WHO knows if they would have been able to score on us in the 9th.

Porkerpower

I know if I'm the hitter and the balls thrown at me in a squeeze situation, then the ball hits me, simple as that.  Then we do the same play again with the next batter. 

Listen, how do I say this, THE PRESSURE IS ON THE DEFENSE WHEN YOU SQUEEZE.

TuckFexas

I bet DVH is wanting to kick Parker's a$$ for not getting the bunt down. I seriously doubt he's kicking himself for not squeezing AGAIN. What is your background in baseball anyways? I'm curious.
Famous quote.

hogerrific

I assume you are also a much better tactition than DVH. HMMM...
It is ALWAYS 100% accurate when you second guess.
Oh well.  :razorback:

WhenPigsFly

If you always play for one run you will NEVER get the big inning. College ball is about hitting.  2nd and 3rd with nobody out, go for the hit and try to score two and keep the inning going.  With one out, we tried the squeeze and failed.  I can't fault DVH on this one.

Porkerpower

Was screaming into the radio for the squeeze, believe me.

CharlieHog

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 15, 2006, 01:05:02 pm
If you always play for one run you will NEVER get the big inning. College ball is about hitting.  2nd and 3rd with nobody out, go for the hit and try to score two and keep the inning going.  With one out, we tried the squeeze and failed.  I can't fault DVH on this one.

Exactly. Well put.

Porkerpower

Hey, I like Van Horn, ok, but he made a mistake on that one.  And I've noticed in serveral situations this year how he sits back and waits for the big hit.  He's not a onesy, twosy type of coach.

And it cost us a big game Sunday.

That's all. But they have a good little team, and I'm pullin for em always, win or lose.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 01:08:07 pm
Hey, I like Van Horn, ok, but he made a mistake on that one.  And I've noticed in serveral situations this year how he sits back and waits for the big hit.  He's not a onesy, twosy type of coach.

And it cost us a big game Sunday.

That's all. But they have a good little team, and I'm pullin for em always, win or lose.

There is a time to play small ball. That wasn't it.

Porkerpower

And if all of that drama was in an earlier inning, then swing away.

But in the last inning, after you've just tied it up after trailing the entire game, TAKE that goahead run and let Ole Miss start counting the outs they have left, witch as you know is sucide to do.

Porkerpower

But ya see, that WAS the time to play small ball.

CharlieHog

EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT OUR BUNTING SUCKS, OH YE OF ALL BASEBALL KNOWLEDGE

hogmary

I'm sorry, but if you are going to wait for Blake Parker to make a big play, you're going to have a long wait.  That's why he got benched in favor of a freshman.

CharlieHog

Quote from: hogmary on May 15, 2006, 01:16:11 pm
I'm sorry, but if you are going to wait for Blake Parker to make a big play, you're going to have a long wait.  That's why he got benched in favor of a freshman.

He got benched because of defense.

mpeacock

First, I can't believe I am even going to respond to someone that spells as poorly as "wern't" and "guarenteed," but... Porkerpower, you have zero clue about baseball. As a previous poster noted, a squeeze play only works if it is rather unexpected. If the opposing pitcher knows it's coming he will throw at the hitter or so far into the opposite batter's box that a bunt becomes impossible. And if you expect anyone to believe that you know or even understand anything about baseball, then you shouldn't state that you would "take one for the team" if the pitcher threw at you during a bunt attempt. The ball is most likely thrown at your head (more like your face). No one is going to take a 80+ fastball off the face - period. So, your analysis of what went wrong was not as much a coaching error as poor execution by SEC, D1 baseball players who should have be able to place the ball in play with runners in scoring position and no outs. Nevertheless, I am certain you will stick by your guns and argue that a repeated squeeze should have been called. Please point to any other time in baseball history where a team successfully squeeze bunted on consecutive plays or twice-in-a-row. I'm curious to know if it has happened or if this entire thread simply reflects your idiosyncratic fantasy of the game of baseball.

Porkerpower

If we can't bunt in ANY situation, then we need a new bunting coach, no excuse not to be able to bunt.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 01:19:05 pm
If we can't bunt in ANY situation, then we need a new bunting coach, no excuse not to be able to bunt.

regardless of whether or not we need new coaches, the fact remains that we are not a good bunting team, so your call to play "onesy twosey" is wrong.

Porkerpower

Yak yak yak, you guys are ALL wrong and real baseball people that read this will look all of these responses over and know who the "real baseball" guy is.   

PORKERPOWER, baby........................................

Porkerpower

No, we don't need a new coach, who said that.  I like Van Horn.

Porkerpower

But my freinds, bunting is fundamental.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 01:24:10 pm
No, we don't need a new coach, who said that.  I like Van Horn.

Do you have short term memory loss?

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 01:19:05 pm

Porkerpower

Porkerpower

I'm having fun with this guys, don't make it personal.

TuckFexas

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 15, 2006, 01:27:15 pm
I'm having fun with this guys, don't make it personal.

Thank God, I was beginning to think you wore a helmet and rode the short bus to school.
Famous quote.

heathshogs

I think with Walker up and 2 in scoring position you have top give him a chance to hit.He might have been able to squeeze Ewing in from 3rd but it's not certain. He was the SEC hitter of the week coming in. Over the 5 games before Sunday, he was 9 of 15 with 2 doubles and 2 homers and throw in 3 walks while only getting 3 Ks. I say give him a chance to get another hit and drive in a pair, or at least get the run home with a deep fly or even a ground out down the right side.... Walker failed so now we have 1 out.

They walk Arnold. So we have bases loaded 1 out and Parker up.
Parker actually attempted the squeeze play, but failed before striking out... There are 2 outs now.  We're not going to squeeze with 2 outs. 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious