Arkansas-Oral Roberts Game Thread

Started by hogfan13, May 02, 2006, 06:57:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

Quote from: CharlieHog on May 03, 2006, 07:59:23 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 07:51:20 am

I remain optimistic. 

That makes one of us.

Well, do I think we'll be in Omaha.  No, probably not.  But if ULL, SMS, and The Citadel can make it to Omaha I know this team can.  But if I had to take a guess we'll end up losing in the SRs

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 03, 2006, 07:47:44 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 07:25:56 am
The amount of SEC teams losing midweek games this year is very high.  I think it shows you how the 11.7 scholarships really even things out.
I think it would be different if we were losing in a different way. It is obvious that the team and coaches wanted this game badly, yet they could not produce. I am not sure if we will get a regional or not, but a this point, I see no way we get a super. I cant see any way for this team to see Omaha unless they make a complete 180. We have a real problem at third base and our hitters cannot seem to hit with men on base late in the game.

I will continue to hope for a turnaround, but it looks like another wait till next year unless we kick it in the butt.

I remain optimistic.  Because we are one of the top 6 teams in the SEC.  That usually means you have a chance at Omaha.  If I had to guess the Omaha field right now I'd say

Clemson
Fullerton
Texas
UNC
Alabama
South Carolina
Nebraska
Rice

Of course it all depends on matchups in the regionals and supers

Am I mistaken or does Nebraska really suck this year?

CharlieHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on May 03, 2006, 08:01:42 am

You're mistaken.

Very.

hogfan064

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on May 03, 2006, 08:01:42 am
Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 03, 2006, 07:47:44 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 07:25:56 am
The amount of SEC teams losing midweek games this year is very high.  I think it shows you how the 11.7 scholarships really even things out.
I think it would be different if we were losing in a different way. It is obvious that the team and coaches wanted this game badly, yet they could not produce. I am not sure if we will get a regional or not, but a this point, I see no way we get a super. I cant see any way for this team to see Omaha unless they make a complete 180. We have a real problem at third base and our hitters cannot seem to hit with men on base late in the game.

I will continue to hope for a turnaround, but it looks like another wait till next year unless we kick it in the butt.

I remain optimistic.  Because we are one of the top 6 teams in the SEC.  That usually means you have a chance at Omaha.  If I had to guess the Omaha field right now I'd say

Clemson
Fullerton
Texas
UNC
Alabama
South Carolina
Nebraska
Rice

Of course it all depends on matchups in the regionals and supers

Huskers are 35-6 with a RPI of #4.  If that sucks your standards are way to high.

hogfan064

Nebraska's losses are to a great Rice team, Texas, a regional Kansas team, a pesky Citadel team, Kansas State, and our buddies at Northern Colorado

heathshogs

Nebraska 36-6,15-4
Baseball America 3
Collegiate Baseball 3
NCBWA 3
USA Today coaches poll 3
Rosenblatt Report 3
RPI 4
Leading Big 12 , although Texas is 0 games back with one more loss and 1 more win.

So I'd say you are mistaken
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

hogfan064

Quote from: heathshogs on May 03, 2006, 08:08:05 am
Nebraska 36-6,15-4
Baseball America 3
Collegiate Baseball 3
NCBWA 3
USA Today coaches poll 3
Rosenblatt Report 3
RPI 4
Leading Big 12 , although Texas is 0 games back with one more loss and 1 more win.

If I'm not mistaken the Husker took 2 of 3 from the Horns

hogman64

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 08:01:30 am

I remain optimistic. 

That makes one of us.

Well, do I think we'll be in Omaha.  No, probably not.  But if ULL, SMS, and The Citadel can make it to Omaha I know this team can.  But if I had to take a guess we'll end up losing in the SRs

Unless we have a complete turnaround defensively on the left side of the infield I just dont see us getting out of the regionals, our pitching is just not strong enough to overcome all these errors at key times...we are giving other teams 4 and 5 outs in way to many innings.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogman64 on May 03, 2006, 08:21:50 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 08:01:30 am

I remain optimistic. 

That makes one of us.

Unless we have a complete turnaround defensively on the left side of the infield I just dont see us getting out of the regionals, our pitching is just not strong enough to overcome all these errors at key times...we are giving other teams 4 and 5 outs in way to many innings.

Well, if we get to host I think we'll make it to the SRs.  Of course it depends on who is in our regional.  Honestly, I don't think we want any part of these ACC teams like NC State, GT, or Wake Forest.

TuckFexas

Move Parker to right field and Forsythe to 3rd. Wait, take Parker out of the lineup completely because he is not SEC material. He might as well swing a toothpick at the plate. Power means nothing if you can't make contact. There's no way you move Parker to catcher, Walker is much better behind the plate, even though he's weak with the stick.

I'll feel lucky if we get a Regional, because we've been playing like shite. This team has no identity, other than the fact we normally have key players injured or sick. There's no excuse for having runners at 1st/3rd and striking out 3x in a row. I really don't know what DVH can do at this point. It's hard to win in the post-season, or even regular season on "guts" alone. At some point, you have to have talent. I'm not convinced this year's team has talent. None-the-less, I'll be at the tailgate Saturday and hope to see the Hogs put a whooping on "Bama.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

hogfan064

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 03, 2006, 09:14:18 am
Move Parker to right field and Forsythe to 3rd. Wait, take Parker out of the lineup completely because he is not SEC material. He might as well swing a toothpick at the plate. Power means nothing if you can't make contact. There's no way you move Parker to catcher, Walker is much better behind the plate, even though he's weak with the stick.

I'll feel lucky if we get a Regional, because we've been playing like shite. This team has no identity, other than the fact we normally have key players injured or sick. There's no excuse for having runners at 1st/3rd and striking out 3x in a row. I really don't know what DVH can do at this point. It's hard to win in the post-season, or even regular season on "guts" alone. At some point, you have to have talent. I'm not convinced this year's team has talent. None-the-less, I'll be at the tailgate Saturday and hope to see the Hogs put a whooping on "Bama.

This team has some talent, but I don't think any of DVH's classes have been that highly rated.  He has lost a couple guys to the pros also.  He does great with the talent he has

HognotinMemphis

Hogs lost at home to Oral Sex Roberts? What, Hogs can't "get up" for Oral? Even at home? Is this like losing to Bucknell in basketball?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogfan064

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 03, 2006, 09:28:08 am
Hogs lost at home to Oral Sex Roberts? What, Hogs can't "get up" for Oral? Even at home? Is this like losing to Bucknell in basketball?

No its like getting swept by San Diego in baseball

TuckFexas

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 09:26:45 am

This team has some talent, but I don't think any of DVH's classes have been that highly rated.  He has lost a couple guys to the pros also.  He does great with the talent he has

They sure as hell aren't proving it. Losses to Mo. State (2), N. Colorado, and ORU. There's no excuse for that. Either the Hogs are facing a 1st round draft pick hurler every game or they just can't hit. I'm thinking they can't hit.
Famous quote.

hogfan064

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 03, 2006, 09:33:57 am

They sure as hell aren't proving it. Losses to Mo. State (2), N. Colorado, and ORU. There's no excuse for that. Either the Hogs are facing a 1st round draft pick hurler every game or they just can't hit. I'm thinking they can't hit.

Many SEC teams have been losing these midweek games.  It's not just us. 

TuckFexas

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 09:35:54 am

Does that really justify it though?
Famous quote.

heathshogs

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 08:08:54 am
Quote from: heathshogs on May 03, 2006, 08:08:05 am
Nebraska 36-6,15-4
Baseball America 3
Collegiate Baseball 3
NCBWA 3
USA Today coaches poll 3
Rosenblatt Report 3
RPI 4

If I'm not mistaken the Husker took 2 of 3 from the Horns

That's true too.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

hogfan064

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 03, 2006, 09:54:12 am

No it doesn't, I'm just saying we're not the only ones having this problem.  Yes, we should be ORU, Missouri State, and Northern Colorado, but this happens to every team every year.  It will happen again next year.  It happened to the great LSU teams of the 90s and it happens to Texas every year.  That's baseball

TuckFexas

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 09:56:37 am

No it doesn't, I'm just saying we're not the only ones having this problem.  Yes, we should be ORU, Missouri State, and Northern Colorado, but this happens to every team every year.  It will happen again next year.  It happened to the great LSU teams of the 90s and it happens to Texas every year.  That's baseball

I understand what baseball is. I've played it, lived it, breathed it for almost 20 years now. I can see one hiccup hear or there in the non-conference games. But the Hogs have made it a habit this year, and it's flat unacceptable.
Famous quote.

hogfan064

May 03, 2006, 11:41:50 am #169 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:48:52 am by hogfan064
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 03, 2006, 11:36:40 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 09:56:37 am

I understand what baseball is. I've played it, lived it, breathed it for almost 20 years now. I can see one hiccup hear or there in the non-conference games. But the Hogs have made it a habit this year, and it's flat unacceptable.

The Hogs have lost 5 OOC games this year.  They are 20-5 overall .800 winning pct.  That's really not that bad.   Give me a chance and I'll find out how the rest of the SEC is doing

hogfan064

SEC OOC records

Kentucky 21-3 .875
USC  19-4 .826
Vandy  16-8 .667
Georgia  18-5 .782
Tennessee  17-6 .739
Florida  18-8 .692
Alabama 19-3 .863
Ole Miss 18-7 .720
MSU  22-4 .846
Auburn 13-13 .500
LSU 21-4  .840
Arkansas  20-5  .800

It's about what's normal in the SEC

WhenPigsFly

We make almost every pitcher look better than he is.   We just made a depleted, horrible LSU staff look like world beaters.   They even used a position player who had pitched SIX INNINGS ALL YEAR to close us out on Sunday!

hogman64

If you cant field the ball at third base and make accurate throws once  you do field it, you are going to lose several games over the course of the year because of it.....I would say we have to be as weak as anyone in the conference defensively at third base and it is costing us and will continue to do that unless a change is made......

WhenPigsFly

I HATE the idea of Parker playing third base.  I had my doubts once the season started, and now there are no doubts!  He can't hack it over there.  And it's not like we have to have his bat in the lineup.  I have a feeling he'll be at first next year if Danny goes pro.

hogman64

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 03, 2006, 12:25:41 pm
I HATE the idea of Parker playing third base.  I had my doubts once the season started, and now there are no doubts!  He can't hack it over there.  And it's not like we have to have his bat in the lineup.  I have a feeling he'll be at first next year if Danny goes pro.
Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 03, 2006, 12:25:41 pm

DVH  knows  infinitly more than me obviously, but I think Parker  has to be gone  as of now , it is killing us and i dont think we can afford to lose another game because of it.........

TuckFexas

The OOC losses wouldn't be so bad if they were to teams that should have a CHANCE to beat us. They should not have been close. I think DVH would tell you the same.
Famous quote.

WhenPigsFly

The problem at third now is who do you put out there in place of Parker?  Has Forsythe even seen the field since Ewing came back?  He's all we have and I think he might be overmatched at the plate right now.  But why not give him a shot and see if he can at least make the routinge plays and save us a run or two a game.

hogman64

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on May 03, 2006, 01:07:42 pm
The problem at third now is who do you put out there in place of Parker?  Has Forsythe even seen the field since Ewing came back?  He's all we have and I think he might be overmatched at the plate right now.  But why not give him a shot and see if he can at least make the routinge plays and save us a run or two a game.

I agree it looks to me like THE most important thing to this team is getting someone at 3B that can make routine plays consistently. and if Forsythe can do that I would say sacrifice some, I am not sure he doesnt have just as much of a chance of getting the clutch hit as Parker , its not like we would be missing alot of offense in my opinion..
our 3B defense is putting to much pressure on our already less than stellar pitching staff, I literally think its killing it isnt getting better it is getting worse.