Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So whats the verdict on Hogs Baseball....

Started by razrken, March 03, 2007, 10:45:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ghg1

Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 10:37:48 pm
Whats his record in the CWS?

What is HDN's record in the BCS bowls?

Oh wait, he's never been there.

The longest tenured coach in a BCS conference to never go there.

Let's give him a raise.

Fayetnam

We have not been the same since the two players were caught "juicing" year before last. Makes you wonder how many other players were doing it that did not get tested. We have a power hitter, great player------hitting only .119 and has been in a years and a half slump? HUMMMMMMM?

Fletch

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on March 03, 2007, 09:01:27 pm
Wow...you people know nothing about baseball. Do you seriously expect to win every game in BASEBALL? .667 winning percentage in baseball is actually pretty good. Losing games in baseball is not like losing games in football. Geesh. The BEST TEAM in the MLB last year was Detriot, who had a winning percentage of .705%. The firing of coaches is now becoming contagious to you people. DVH is a good coach, and this hog baseball team is a good team.

This should end the thread.
I think the hogs will be good and DVH is a good coach and in no way should there even be a discussion of him being on the hot seat. I haven't seen the latest records in college baseball but I am willing to bet at this point we have one of the worst records of any team in the top 25 and to me that is disappointing at this stage since we haven't even started SEC play yet.

I feel like $100

football17

inhognation

Anyone see in the Democrat-Gazette this morning where DVH was quoted as saying the Hogs are overrated, shouldn't be rated any higher than 15th preseason.....  Seems like he is trying to lower expectations.

canadianrazorback

Quote from: inhognation on March 04, 2007, 08:43:44 am
Anyone see in the Democrat-Gazette this morning where DVH was quoted as saying the Hogs are overrated, shouldn't be rated any higher than 15th preseason.....  Seems like he is trying to lower expectations.

He is not trying to lower expectations.  Would you people get OFF IT!!!!!!!  It's freakin baseball.  I'm sorry but I don't want to be peaking now.  Do any of you guys?  Would you rather be playing your best ball this early in the season?  It's baseaball, there are going to be ups and downs.  We are doing pretty well right now for not having peaked yet.  For are of you that don't know, that should happen a little later, LIKE IN CONFERENCE PLAY.  DVH is one of if not the best coach that we have, he tells it like it is. 

inhognation

Quote from: canadianrazorback on March 04, 2007, 08:51:29 am

He is not trying to lower expectations.  Would you people get OFF IT!!!!!!!  It's freakin baseball.  I'm sorry but I don't want to be peaking now.  Do any of you guys?  Would you rather be playing your best ball this early in the season?  It's baseaball, there are going to be ups and downs.  We are doing pretty well right now for not having peaked yet.  For are of you that don't know, that should happen a little later, LIKE IN CONFERENCE PLAY.  DVH is one of if not the best coach that we have, he tells it like it is. 

I didn't say anything negative about DVH in this post.  I agree he is a great coach.  Matter of fact I have made several posts in this thread that say exactly what you said above.  We are winning at a .667 clip and we haven't even started conference play yet.  So let's not get worried about it and it is too early to even post this topic.  I just found the quote in the paper intersting and wonder what others think???

WilsonHog

Quote from: inhognation on March 04, 2007, 08:57:05 am

I didn't say anything negative about DVH in this post.  I agree he is a great coach.  Matter of fact I have made several posts in this thread that say exactly what you said above.  We are winning at a .667 clip and we haven't even started conference play yet.  So let's not get worried about it and it is too early to even post this topic.  I just found the quote in the paper intersting and wonder what others think???

I think he's trying to send a message to his team through the media, much as he did a couple of years ago when he referred to them as "Tuesday warriors."

inhognation

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 04, 2007, 09:02:11 am

I think he's trying to send a message to his team through the media, much as he did a couple of years ago when he referred to them as "Tuesday warriors."

Very well could be.  It's early and he may want to make sure they are not looking at the rankings, but playing ball and getting ready for conference play.

canadianrazorback

My bad, I wasn't directing that at you, I was directing that at this whole thread.  And yes, it is to early to post this topic.  Your cards should be a great example of that.  Crap for most of the year, and then they turn it on at the end. 

budcampbellfan

Van Horne is not like most of our other HC's, going undefeated in the non-conference, then getting exposed for what we really are by blowing the conference games.  He uses the non-conference to get the depth needed for the conference.  I think we are on track.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

inhognation

Quote from: canadianrazorback on March 04, 2007, 09:18:37 am

My bad, I wasn't directing that at you, I was directing that at this whole thread.  And yes, it is to early to post this topic.  Your cards should be a great example of that.  Crap for most of the year, and then they turn it on at the end. 

They were definitely an example of that last year.  i had been waiting 24 years for that WS.  Anyway we are in agreement that it is way too early to be worried about this baseball team yet and too early to be peaking.

pigfeet

Quote from: PintailKiller on March 03, 2007, 11:27:59 am
The verdict is the Hog baseball will be just fine this year.  I cannot wait until the Ark / Vandy series in Baum - I'm sure it will have a tourny atmosphere.  The stated goal of DVH and the team is Omaha - not like they are just trying to get in the tourny or get to a bowl game.  They are playing to win the NC!

Who all are you going up there with?

jpsand

This thread proves one thing to me.  No matter who the coach or what the sport some have zero tolerance for losing.  Sure everyone wants to win every game.  We all want to get the #1 players in the nation, but face it everyone can't be first or best every year.  I really feel we need some changes in coaching if for no other reason just to shake things up, but we also need to be a little more tolerant of the program.  If we don't watch out we as fans could be part of the problem instead of the solution.  Just think if Nutt left after next year and the hogs got Butch Davis from North Carolina and he went 5 and 7 his first year would we say O.K. who's next?

casken

Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 10:45:02 am
We are only winning 66% of our games this year...according to some standards thats not good.

Verdicts are usually rendered when the evidence is compete.  Too early to reach a verdict...way too early.

WPS :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Ironhawg

Seems like we might be overrated coming into the season.  But it's early yet and they have plenty of time to get squared away.

woopig5

QuoteWe are only winning 66% of our games this year...according to some standards thats not good.

- Miami made it to the 2006 CWS at 41-22 (65%) and Georgia was 47-21 (69%).

stormurr

i'm worried that they might been a tad overrated this year.I know they had the player in trouble, and such but I sure hope that they snap out of this. they seem like they have underachieved so far.I think they will be okay.

mword

canadianrazorback

Again, it's EARLY.  Chill out people. 

PintailKiller

You know - Texas has lost 2 SERIES already this year.  Want to bet if they make it to Omaha?  It's not about what you do in Feb and the first part of March, but how you do in April and May.  That's why they play 50+ reg sesaon games - gives a coach time to get a handle on his team - especially since they eliminated a 20 game Fall season several years ago.  The Hogs are struggling a bit, but finding ways to win most of the time.  This team will still probably win 40+.  Unless you've played D-1 college baseball and understand the dynamics - then get off DVH.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

SPAL

Bomis Hawg

That DVH surely is an overrated coach.  Had one good year and get all of the expectations then things go in the toilet. 

....athletics on the hill are a crazy thing.  The baseball program is the closest in the major three to being a powerhouse. 

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: Fletch on March 04, 2007, 08:38:46 am
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on March 03, 2007, 09:01:27 pm
Wow...you people know nothing about baseball. Do you seriously expect to win every game in BASEBALL? .667 winning percentage in baseball is actually pretty good. Losing games in baseball is not like losing games in football. Geesh. The BEST TEAM in the MLB last year was Detriot, who had a winning percentage of .705%. The firing of coaches is now becoming contagious to you people. DVH is a good coach, and this hog baseball team is a good team.

This should end the thread.
I think the hogs will be good and DVH is a good coach and in no way should there even be a discussion of him being on the hot seat. I haven't seen the latest records in college baseball but I am willing to bet at this point we have one of the worst records of any team in the top 25 and to me that is disappointing at this stage since we haven't even started SEC play yet.

Actually, no. We do not have one of the worst records for a top-25 team. I have been watching college baseball for a while now, and I know that a lot of teams lose early trying to find the right ptiching rotation and line-up. IT HAPPENS PEOPLE!.

Here is the top-25 poll.... Lots of teams have 4,5, even 6 loses.

http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=627294

Hawgvillain

March 04, 2007, 01:40:13 pm #74 Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:45:33 pm by Hawgvillain
Wow...a lot people are exposing themselves as not being very smart.  First of all, 9 of the top 25 teams have at least 4 losses - so we are not the only team that is struggling some.  Secondly, DVH is juggling the lineups and the rotation nearly every weekend - he is trying to figure out which combination works the best.  This is because in baseball it doesn't matter if you blow a series or two in February.  Third, according to Baseball America (who I consider the authority on non-MLB baseball) the Razorbacks are 5th in that nation.  THAT'S UP FROM 6TH WHERE THEY STARTED THE SEASON.  The baseball team is very very good.  Van Horn is very very good.  Everyone who is trying to be a closet coach of a sport they don't understand needs to stop.

One more thing, we have now played 7 games on the road and are 4-3 in those games.  We've played 7 games at home and are 6-1 in those games.  It's rare for good teams in any sport to start the season with more road games than home games but playing these tough mid-majors on the road and playing some decent competition in an early season tourney will payoff in the long run.  I have complete confidence in DVH and the direction of the program.

canadianrazorback

Quote from: Hawgvillain on March 04, 2007, 01:40:13 pm
Wow...a lot people are exposing themselves as not being very smart.  First of all, 9 of the top 25 teams have at least 4 losses - so we are not the only team that is struggling some.  Secondly, DVH is juggling the lineups and the rotation nearly every weekend - he is trying to figure out which combination works the best.  This is because in baseball it doesn't matter if you blow a series or two in February.  Third, according to Baseball America (who I consider the authority on non-MLB baseball) the Razorbacks are 5th in that nation.  THAT'S UP FROM 6TH WHERE THEY STARTED THE SEASON.  The baseball team is very very good.  Van Horn is very very good.  Everyone who is trying to be a closet coach of a sport they don't understand needs to stop.

One more thing, we have now played 7 games on the road and are 4-3 in those games.  We've played 7 games at home and are 6-1 in those games.  It's rare for good teams in any sport to start the season with more road games than home games but playing these tough mid-majors on the road and playing some decent competition in an early season tourney will payoff in the long run.  I have complete confidence in DVH and the direction of the program.

Finally someone with some baseball knowledge.

budcampbellfan

Stanford had a big advantage over us in the early season.  It's COLD in Fayetteville.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

chiefsfan

QuoteHe has one CWS in 5 years, in my opinon is the Sweet 16 of Basketball by comparison

huh?   Going to Omaha is about the same as going to the Final Four in college basketball.    Its just that 8 teams go.

Sweet 16 would be an example of Super Regionals
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Michaelt

So the baseball team has only been to one CWS in four years with Van Horn at the helm?
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

PintailKiller

Quote from: ballhog24 on March 05, 2007, 09:14:09 am
So the baseball team has only been to one CWS in four years with Van Horn at the helm?

That would be correct. 
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."