Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So whats the verdict on Hogs Baseball....

Started by razrken, March 03, 2007, 10:45:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razrken

We are only winning 66% of our games this year...according to some standards thats not good.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

hogman64

We have a whole lot of great ingredients and have real potential to be a   CWS team.......to me the main  problems so far seem to be middle relief and you cant have your clean up hitter striking out 4 times a game and hitting under .130.......Danny H. has to get going or go to the bench, we have alot of really good new players...........

Adam Stokes

Also, in baseball it's harder to have as good of records as in say football or basketball.  The worst team in the SEC could beat the best team by two out of no where and it wouldn't be too frowned upon.  It's the whole body of work that matters, but I did hope to start better than 9-4.

Bomis Hawg

It's not like Arkansas has played teams that won't make regionals either.

King-Tusk

I'll reserve judgement until after we get into conference play.  I'd rather them get these bumps out of the way now.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

bigguy551122

danny H. needs to be benched , its getting a little ridiculous with him
perfection is all i expect.

Arkapigdiesel

Baseball W/L percentage = Oranges

Football W/L percentage = Apples
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

lightsout

inhognation

It sounds like some of you are ready to fire another coach.  Slow down, conference play hasn't even started yet.  Tak a deep breath......

lightsout

Hey PBD, I just got a kick thinking of Joe Kines saying that quote in your signature (and I do like the quote)

razrken

This is a tired old argument...I know sports are different...but I just get sick of hearing the standards change.  I am against losing.  I enjoyed our 10 win western divion chanpionship this year, but don't like the play calling of Nutt.  I absolutely hate losing in basketball because we are a traditional power with no steam lately.  DVH seems to get a free pass from everyone, although I think he is a great coach, no heat is ever placed on him.  He has one CWS in 5 years, in my opinon is the Sweet 16 of Basketball by comparison, which is a noble accomplishment.  His star players last year where suspended and he can't seem to find consistent pitching.  All this is said to state...if these things were happening north on Razorback Road we "all" would be up in  arms.  But in agreement with everyone winning 66% of your games in baseball is tremendous...after all as a Cub fan i would take 55%.

ballhog™

You win 2 out of 3 in baseball and you will have a good year.
But I am disappointed in a couple of Saturday losses this year.

I'll be glad when we can get some consistent pitching behind Schmidt.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

hogman64

Quote from: inhognation on March 03, 2007, 10:56:57 am
It sounds like some of you are ready to fire another coach.  Slow down, conference play hasn't even started yet.  Tak a deep breath......

You must be reading a different thread, I dont see anybody wanting to fire  the baseball coach...............ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO.............

razorback4ever

We're fine. Dave's still messing with the lineup and playing guys that won't see much action later this season. There's a lot of young talent waiting in the wings if the returning guys don't pull their heads out, like Danny Hamblin. Todd is another one who needs to be watching his back. He's blown 2 saves. That can't be tolerated once we get to conference play.
I do feel VH will get us in the right line up when it counts.

edt

You are not going to win many college baseball games by scoring 4 runs. We have got to have better hitting.

inhognation

Quote from: hogman64 on March 03, 2007, 10:59:40 am

You must be reading a different thread, I dont see anybody wanting to fire  the baseball coach...............ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO.............

I am not reading a different thread, although no one has said anything about firing Van Horn, I see some of the same people on this thread that want to fire other coaches talking about mediocrity, and for just winning at a .667 clip and only making it to the CWS, once in five years, etc..  We are in one of the toughest conferences in the country in most sports and other than track , even though I want us to win every year  as bad as the rest of you we are not going to be in the running for a National Championship every year. 

I just said that because we are just really getting started on the season and already complaining about under acheiving in this thread by many.

razrken

I am complaining of mediocrity...I am consistent across the board.  If I don't like losing in Football...then I won't like losing in underwater basket weaving.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 10:58:51 am
This is a tired old argument...I know sports are different...but I just get sick of hearing the standards change.  I am against losing.  I enjoyed our 10 win western divion chanpionship this year, but don't like the play calling of Nutt.  I absolutely hate losing in basketball because we are a traditional power with no steam lately.  DVH seems to get a free pass from everyone, although I think he is a great coach, no heat is ever placed on him.  He has one CWS in 5 years, in my opinon is the Sweet 16 of Basketball by comparison, which is a noble accomplishment.  His star players last year where suspended and he can't seem to find consistent pitching.  All this is said to state...if these things were happening north on Razorback Road we "all" would be up in  arms.  But in agreement with everyone winning 66% of your games in baseball is tremendous...after all as a Cub fan i would take 55%.

Only 8 teams go to the CWS.  It should be the equivalent of the Elite 8 in basketball.  It is harder to get there in baseball.  You have to have great pitching depth.  You must win a four team regional and then a super regional.  One college world series every 5 years is not that bad.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: inhognation on March 03, 2007, 11:05:36 am

I am not reading a different thread, although no one has said anything about firing Van Horn, I see some of the same people on this thread that want to fire other coaches talking about mediocrity, and for just winning at a .667 clip and only making it to the CWS, once in five years, etc..  We are in one of the toughest conferences in the country in most sports and other than track , even though I want us to win every year  as bad as the rest of you we are not going to be in the running for a National Championship every year. 

I just said that because we are just really getting started on the season and already complaining about under acheiving in this thread by many.
I don't think you are recognizing the tongue-in-cheek of some of the people contributing in this thread.  Coach Van Horn is a winner.

M6

Win some lose some. Baseball isn't for crybabies. You learn alot about life and yourself watching a lead disappear or coming from behind. Hamblin was on top of the world last year. He was a primary focus for all sec scouts this year. Obviously some have spotted weaknesses and are exploiting those. He didn't start the sunday game against the hot hitting cardinals. Those guys hit everything we threw at them all weekend. Schmidt was scoreless but they were still connecting. Again you fail to credit the opponent. As in most college sports there is offense and defense. Hamblin is outstanding at first base. I go to every game and he amazes me with his defensive abilities every weekend.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 11:09:38 am
I am complaining of mediocrity...I am consistent across the board.  If I don't like losing in Football...then I won't like losing in underwater basket weaving.
Don't associate mediocrity with our baseball team, and more importantly with Coach Van Horn.

inhognation

Is winning at a .667 clip in baseball mediocre??  In MLB that gets you to the world series.  In college .667 clip in conference play wins the SEC West most years.  You would like to win every game, but that is less likely in baseball than any other sport.

ghg1

Our baseball team is ranked #5 in the country and doesn't have a coach that is an embarrassment to the University and state. 

ballhog™

Hambling has been in a slump since about the last third of last year through this year.

I'll be glad when he comes out of it.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

razrken

PintailKiller

March 03, 2007, 11:16:23 am #26 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:22:17 am by PintailKiller
Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 10:58:51 am

The sweet sixteen would be a Super Regional -   If your gonna compare basketball to baseball - both take 64 teams.  Regardless of name appeal - they've played some good teams.  They are just getting it going.  One other note - how often do the other sports have to deal with multiple players going pro AFTER signing with their school, not that it affects the Hogs only - it affects all good D-1 schools.  For example - DVH lost 2 stud pitchers in 2005 when both signed pro contracts instead of coming to the Hill.  That would have given them 3 top dog stud starters.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

inhognation

Quote from: PBD on March 03, 2007, 11:10:47 am
Quote from: inhognation on March 03, 2007, 11:05:36 am

I don't think you are recognizing the tongue-in-cheek of some of the people contributing in this thread.  Coach Van Horn is a winner.

I do understand the sarcasm and toungue in cheek on this board.  I agree that Coach Van Horn is a winner.  I guess people are just bored, but I think it is too early to be worried about this team losing a couple of early season games on Saturday, or only scoring four runs yesterday.  Give this team some time to gel and see if they can play up to the high expectations everyone has, and hope they are ready when conference play begins....

razrken

razrken

I agree...I was just stating that there is an obvious double standard we have to be careful with.

jkcrunch

March 03, 2007, 11:23:32 am #30 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:26:57 am by jkcrunch
Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 10:45:02 am
We are only winning 66% of our games this year...according to some standards thats not good.

You stay at this pace in baseball you are in the world series

One thing to remember in baseball a small school just needs 1 outstanding pitcher to take a game in a 3 game series, the way schollie are set up due to title 9 and money in general some small have really good talent and because they may be hunting the player that is just not on MLB radar they can keep kids 4 yrs

WilsonHog

Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 11:18:30 am
I agree...I was just stating that there is an obvious double standard we have to be careful with.

There is in no way an "obvious double standard."

PintailKiller

Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 11:17:29 am
Basketball.  Al Jefferson

You name 1 player in Heaths career and in 2005 DVH lost 2 stud starters to the draft.  One didn't sign until August right before school started - you cannot replace that at that time.  DVH loses kids every year.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: PintailKiller on March 03, 2007, 11:23:56 am

You name 1 player in Heaths career and in 2005 DVH lost 2 stud starters to the draft.  One didn't sign until August right before school started - you cannot replace that at that time.  DVH loses kids every year.

High school seniors can't go in the NBA draft anymore.

PintailKiller

The verdict is the Hog baseball will be just fine this year.  I cannot wait until the Ark / Vandy series in Baum - I'm sure it will have a tourny atmosphere.  The stated goal of DVH and the team is Omaha - not like they are just trying to get in the tourny or get to a bowl game.  They are playing to win the NC!

Ouachihog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 10:54:36 am
It's not like Arkansas has played teams that won't make regionals either.

Good point here.  Some sec teams start with 8 or 10 home games in a row and might mix in a neutral site game with mcneese state or something to get a gaudy non-conference record.  La tech and Troy are both good teams and we played them in their own yard.  The Illinois State series was somewhat alarming that it took a miracle for us to win it, but that is college baseball. 

I also agree that Hamblin is a concern right now, as is Jess Todd.  Hamblin better get it going soon, or he will wind up on the bench.  Jess Todd has blown 2 saves in a row, but most think he has good enough stuff to pull out of this minor slump. 

On the good side, Siebert looked like he was returning to form yesterday.  I was upset by the loss yesterday, b/c of the circumstances and just b/c I hate ole miss, but we will be fine.  Hopefully we can take two from the depleted pitching staff of Minnesota on Sunday. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

jkcrunch

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on March 03, 2007, 11:25:04 am

College baseball players cant enter the draft until they are juniors

Bomis Hawg

Of course, you'd like to get a consistant Saturday starter and consistant bullpen.  That'll come in time.  Yesterday was a pretty good game, too bad Arkansas got the "L."

There will be plenty of great games and sour notes this year.  That's baseball.  I expect the SEC slate to come around and Arkansas be in good shape.

PintailKiller

Quote from: jkcrunch on March 03, 2007, 11:28:36 am
Quote from: Junkyard Hog on March 03, 2007, 11:25:04 am

College baseball players cant enter the draft until they are juniors

But they can go staight from HS or after Fresh or Spoh years of JUCO.

snortyann

They play Kansas next weekend.
Anybody know how they match up with the Hogs?

ledhead830

Might want to remember that Ole Miss threw its ace yesterday against Seibert, who has been anything but an ace this season.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

3kgthog

Quote from: ledhead830 on March 03, 2007, 01:52:45 pm
Might want to remember that Ole Miss threw its ace yesterday against Seibert, who has been anything but an ace this season.

That didn't matter. We had a lead on them the entire game until Jorn brought in Jess Todd and he subsequently blew the game.

I don't want to fire DVH, but I'm not impressed by Todd Butler's coaching of the hitters so far. Our guys strike out way too much. None of them can hit the offspeed stuff. Last year's problems have continued over into this season.

PintailKiller

02/01/07 at Hawaii-Hilo Hilo, Hawaii W, 4-1
02/02/07 at Hawaii-Hilo Hilo, Hawaii W, 12-0
             at Hawaii-Hilo Hilo, Hawaii W, 7-2
02/03/07 at Hawaii-Hilo Hilo, Hawaii W, 10-1
02/04/07 vs. Hawaii-Hilo Kona, Hawaii W, 9-2
02/10/07 vs. South Dakota St. Minneapolis, Minn. L, 6-5
             vs. South Dakota St. Minneapolis, Minn. W, 3-2
02/11/07 vs. South Dakota St. Minneapolis, Minn. W, 4-1
02/23/07 at Stanford Stanford, Calif. L, 6-5
02/24/07 at Stanford Stanford, Calif. L, 4-1
02/25/07 at Stanford Stanford, Calif. L, 7-6
02/27/07 at Oral Roberts Tulsa, Okla. L, 9-1

I would say the Hogs should sweep.  They have not beaten the good teams on their schedule and lost to S Dakota St.

hogfan064

Quote from: razrken on March 03, 2007, 10:45:02 am

Do you follow college baseball at all?  20-10 in the SEC will win the SEC regular season title 90% of the time.  20-10 happens to be 66%.  DVH has the #5 team in the nation right now, he's been to 3 CWS in his career. Do you honestly believe what you are saying?

Fletch

Preseason #4 and we are 9-4 and on our way out of the top 10. Baseball has been a big disappointment so far especially considering how confidently DVH talked about them, just like Heath did in BB. Fortunately, there is still time for the baseball team to get it together, which I believe they will. It will still be disappointing going to watch a 4-6 loss team next weekend. Especially considering how early in the season it is.
I feel like $100

ilovepinebluff

March 03, 2007, 09:01:27 pm #45 Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 09:03:11 pm by ilovepinebluff
Wow...you people know nothing about baseball. Do you seriously expect to win every game in BASEBALL? .667 winning percentage in baseball is actually pretty good. Losing games in baseball is not like losing games in football. Geesh. The BEST TEAM in the MLB last year was Detriot, who had a winning percentage of .705%. The firing of coaches is now becoming contagious to you people. DVH is a good coach, and this hog baseball team is a good team.

This should end the thread.

PorcineSublime

Come on guys, it is obvious that this thread was started to get a stir out of people and it did. The person who started this thread wanted to get it going so he could say we need to cut HDN some slack since we are only winning two thirds of our baseball games. He knows that that is good for baseball. He is just inciting and you are falling for it. I guess since I am posting, I am as well.   8)
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

TMc

As well as ... when you have several new parts.. , it takes time for it all to come together.. they'll be fine, but give them time.. The sky's not falling yet.  By the way.., don't even use mediocre in conjunction with DVH.  He is a championship caliber coach. Period!

razrken

ghg1

DVH = winner, integrity, straight-shooter
HDN = loser, charlatan, liar