Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What do you think Van Horn thinks....

Started by football17, January 05, 2007, 08:33:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

football17

When Houston says crazy crap like he did yesterday and the problems he's had and Stan has had, what do you think no-nonsense Van Horn thinks about it all?

Don't you think he's probably just relieved as anything that his office isn't anywhere near the circus of the Broyles Center?....

georgecolevet

DVH doesn't worry about trivial matters like what hdn says, or what problems the other coaches are having.  DVH is too busy really building a National Championship team. 

HatfieldHog

Van Horn seems to be cut from a different material than Nutt and Co. are.  He seems to be willing to accurately access his team, and take responsibility for it's success and failure.

You watch,  Nutt will distance himself from Van Horn, as he is increasingly alooth to his own situation, yet Van Horn accepts the expectations of his fans, and works to fulfill them.

The only wildcard in this, is if "neanderthal Frank" sends down a memo, and tells Van Horn to change his attitude, and never take credit for problems.

Frank is a large part of the problem in Razorback football.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: missippihog on January 05, 2007, 08:45:31 pm
In a sport that nobody really gives a damn about.

Wrong...just because you think HDN hung the moon doesn't mean you need to run down the Baseball program.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

riccoar

I think Dave would love to have Houston pitch him some underhand so he could send it back up the middle.  :)

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on January 05, 2007, 08:49:11 pm
Wrong...just because you think HDN hung the moon doesn't mean you need to run down the Baseball program.

Beat me to it.

football17

What are you smoking? Have you been in a cave the past few seasons?

That was the most ignorant comment I've read on this board in a long, long time. I guarantee you there is much more interest and anticipation in the baseball program this year than the basketball program...

Maddhog

Quote from: missippihog on January 05, 2007, 08:50:52 pm
Ok, lets take a national poll and see how many people care about basketball and football compared to baseball. Since youre the one that knows everything here, I would bet you don't need to take that poll. And I am not running down anything. There is not as much interest in baseball and thats a fact.

Maybe, but you said "nobody".   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

football17

Ok, lets take a national poll and see how many people care about basketball and football compared to baseball. Since youre the one that knows everything here, I would bet you don't need to take that poll. And I am not running down anything. There is not as much interest in baseball and thats a fact.

Well OF COURSE it doesnt have as much interest as football... that's comparing apples and oranges... but to say that it something nobody cares about is just stupid... and WRONG

missippihog

Quote from: football17 on January 05, 2007, 08:51:48 pm
What are you smoking? Have you been in a cave the past few seasons?

That was the most ignorant comment I've read on this board in a long, long time. I guarantee you there is much more interest and anticipation in the baseball program this year than the basketball program...

Oh, Ok. So now college baseball is more poplular that football and basketball? Right, I see. No further comment needed.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: missippihog on January 05, 2007, 08:53:40 pm
Oh, Ok. So now college baseball is more poplular that football and basketball? Right, I see. No further comment needed.

The original post said "a sport NOBODY really gives a damn about."   And that is just plain wrong.

missippihog

Quote from: football17 on January 05, 2007, 08:53:20 pm
Well OF COURSE it doesnt have as much interest as football... that's comparing apples and oranges... but to say that it something nobody cares about is just stupid... and WRONG

I believe the post was about what the baseball coach thinks about what the football coach said about football and basketball so its not comparing apples and oranges. Nice try though.

arcowboy

In a sport that no on cares about.  Come on there are a bunch of people and more every yr that get into the baseball program at the U of A.  What other programs are growing so fast that you have to cram fans in every where , standing room only.  So much for suites that they are continually building and doubling the amount of suites available.   Oh and by the way baseball is the Americas favorite sport . 

missippihog

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on January 05, 2007, 08:54:57 pm
The original post said "a sport NOBODY really gives a damn about."   And that is just plain wrong.

Ok, a sport not many care about like football and basketball. Is that better?

missippihog

Quote from: arcowboy on January 05, 2007, 08:55:52 pm
In a sport that no on cares about.  Come on there are a bunch of people and more every yr that get into the baseball program at the U of A.  What other programs are growing so fast that you have to cram fans in every where , standing room only.  So much for suites that they are continually building and doubling the amount of suites available.   Oh and by the way baseball is the Americas favorite sport . 

Go tell that to the NFL.

BlackKnightHogFan

National poll means nothing.  You were talking about Arkansas Baseball.  I would venture a conclusion that our Baseball team has more attendance then the Basketball team (in preseason).  Also, for some of us who are continually let down by the "major sports" on campus, the Baseball team gives us something to root for in the spring.  Oh and I don't know everything, I am simply observant.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

WhenPigsFly

You should give the Baseball Hogs a try, if you haven't.  Cheap tickets, nationally competitive team in a very nice stadium.

I have season tickets for Hogs' football, basketball, and baseball.  If I could only attend one sport, it would be baseball, hands down.

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: missippihog on January 05, 2007, 08:55:26 pm
I believe the post was about what the baseball coach thinks about what the football coach said about football and basketball so its not comparing apples and oranges. Nice try though.

No... You made the point that nobody cares about college baseball.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on January 05, 2007, 08:58:54 pm
You should give the Baseball Hogs a try, if you haven't.  Cheap tickets, nationally competitive team in a very nice stadium.

I have season tickets for Hogs' football, basketball, and baseball.  If I could only attend one sport, it would be baseball, hands down.
Cheap Tickets?  Great atmosphere?  A well coached team that fans can get excited about?  COUNT ME IN!!!!

missippihog

I am not saying there is anything wrong with baseball. I like to watch baseball sometimes too. But to think that the head football coach cares what the baseball coach thinks about something he said is ridiculous.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: missippihog on January 05, 2007, 09:02:47 pm
I am not saying there is anything wrong with baseball. I like to watch baseball sometimes too. But to think that the head football coach cares what the baseball coach thinks about something he said is ridiculous.

Then make that point instead of trying to make baseball look irrelevant.  It took you 10 posts of arguing to say what you really meant. 

riccoar

Football is the money maker but the UofA was serious about being competitive which is why Van Horn was brought in.  Football, Basketball, and Baseball have their place.

BlackKnightHogFan

That is what you said above.  Either you mean it or not you can't have it both ways...

Richard_white

I don't care what DVH thinks about Nutt.   DVH wins, he brings in the talent. 

DVH needs to stay away from Dale as far as he can. 

missippihog

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on January 05, 2007, 09:05:12 pm
That is what you said above.  Either you mean it or not you can't have it both ways...

I overstated the point. Excuse me. Everyone gets what I mean though.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

The first College world series I ever saw was on a black and white television in about 1974.  Kevin McReynolds was playing then and it was exciting.  I've longed for the Razorback's to return to baseball prominence ever since.  Baseball is a great game and the Hogs are going to be a factor. 
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: missippihog on January 05, 2007, 09:06:23 pm
I overstated the point. Excuse me. Everyone gets what I mean though.

I understand.  However, Arkansas College Baseball is not irrelevant.

PorcineSublime

January 05, 2007, 09:51:47 pm #28 Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:53:44 pm by PorcineSublime
Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on January 05, 2007, 09:10:10 pm
Actually, Arkansas Baseball turned the corner last year and actually became a revenue generating sport. Meaning it took in more than it spent. That is a rarity in college sports and is usually reserved for FB and BB. There are only handful of schools that can say that about baseball.

I know your post well enough to know that you meant no offense by the statement, but it was dead wrong. Arkansas baseball is very relevant, and this might be the year that we get a championship in something besides track.
Edit: I was referencing the MShog post, but it didn't bring it forward when I quoted BK's post. Weird.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

BlackKnightHogFan

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 05, 2007, 09:51:47 pm
Actually, Arkansas Baseball turned the corner last year and actually became a revenue generating sport. Meaning it took in more than it spent. That is a rarity in college sports and is usually reserved for FB and BB. There are only handful of schools that can say that about baseball.

I know your post well enough to know that you meant no offense by the statement, but it was dead wrong. Arkansas baseball is very relevant, and this might be the year that we get a championship in something besides track.
Edit: I was referencing the MShog post, but it didn't bring it forward when I quoted BK's post. Weird.

Thanks for the clarification.  My hair stood up ready for a web "fight" until that last sentence.  I thought I had heard that our BB team was in the black and that was exactly my point.  Thanks for expounding!

mikeirwin

He ruined it to the point where I put it in the trash can. I see it's back.
Maybe he's gone.

Hog in MO

Go out to Baum on any given friday night for a conference series and see who does'nt give a damn about baseball.  You'll find around 10,000 people that would disagree with you.  Its true that you won't find many people in all four corners of the state that follow baseball like they do basketball, but to say that nobody cares about baseball is a very misinformed statement.  For me, its moved ahead of basketball and right behind football in my pecking order. 

hogsnot06

DvH was at the Citrus bowl a few seats down from me with the family, cheering as we all were. (At least when the defense was on the field!) He is a supporter of the other programs and attends all the Bball and Football games he can. I think he sees, and has seen how fast things can turn on a coach so I suspect he is smart enough not to cast stones...

As for demeanor, he is a real head coach. Cool, calculated, and driven. That said I do not think he wants to win any more than HDN or SH, but from what I have seen over his years here, he is more capable. Just one more reason I do not miss baseball games at Baum!

hogman64

DVH is far superior as a coach compared to Nutt and Heath.............We stack up with any team we play from a coaching standpoint in baseball whereas in football and basketball our teams consistently get out coached ............baseball has far surpassed basketball  at the U of A  as far as my interests go.......

TulsaHogFan

I bet i know what DVH is saying.

"I can't wait for the season to start.  I am going to kick the crap out of a lot of these teams i play."

Oh and "Damn its nice playing for a team where they are having to expand a brand new stadium because of attendance records in a sport where a lot of schools can't get people to show up."

hogman64

One thing is for sure..........Townes is lucky he doesnt play for DVH.........he would be looking for another school.........he could check with the pitcher from Nettleton about what happens when you talk back to DVH  during a game..........

razorbacker80

I don't see how people would say they aren't interested in baseball if they spent a weekend up at Baum Stadium.  It is a great experience...  try it, you'll like it. 

tkhog

Hey you guys... mississippihog is houston... he doesn't want us to know that people actually can recruit to fayetteville and can win. just ignore him and maybe he'll go back to murray state...

razorbacks1usa

i live in south Arkansas i wish i could go to Baum stadium and see all the games
only time i can see the hogs play is when they go to ole piss and play
then you have to put up with all the rednecks there and there are alot of them in Mississippi
pretty bad when the head baseball coach and head track coach is the best coaches on campus
i hope we make it to ohama and win a few games for van horn
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

SPAL

what the heck did dale say in the first place?

transplant

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 05, 2007, 09:51:47 pm
Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on January 05, 2007, 09:10:10 pm

Send Frank a thank you card.

IMAballHawg

Quote from: Hog in MO on January 05, 2007, 10:35:56 pm
Go out to Baum on any given friday night for a conference series and see who does'nt give a damn about baseball.  You'll find around 10,000 people that would disagree with you.  Its true that you won't find many people in all four corners of the state that follow baseball like they do basketball, but to say that nobody cares about baseball is a very misinformed statement.  For me, its moved ahead of basketball and right behind football in my pecking order. 

Quick someone smarter than me take the average BaseBall game attendance and multiply it by the number of games, then take the average FootBall attendance and multiply it by by the number of (regular season) games.     

That probably will make the numbers look a little bit more ballanced that comparing 1 game VS 1 game.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/tkseib/texastoiletlarge.jpg<br /><br />Welcome to a new dawn in Razorback Athletics!

hog caller

January 06, 2007, 09:59:04 am #42 Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:00:38 am by hog caller
baseball is a nice game for the spring and early fall. but football is that game where the big dogs play and there really is no comparison to the games or how they are coached.

VanHorn has beef fortunate to have winning teams at Arkansas but always misses the big ones too. so if you are looking for comparisons there it is.

basketball is a game of finess and sportsmanship like no other sport in the world.
where else can you see a kid leave the floor 16 feet away from the goal put the ball between his legs and slam it home . my oh my Paul would say.

baseball just doesn't give that kind of thrill as often as Football and Basketball does.
but if you have mellowed in to your life and enjoy a cool beer with a couple of friends and don't like to fish then i guess baseball is for you.  no offence intended.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hog caller on January 06, 2007, 09:59:04 am
baseball is a nice game for the spring and early fall. but football is that game where the big dogs play and there really is no comparison to the games or how they are coached.

VanHorn has beef fortunate to have winning teams at Arkansas but always misses the big ones too. so if you are looking for comparisons there it is.

basketball is a game of finess and sportsmanship like no other sport in the world.
where else can you see a kid leave the floor 16 feet away from the goal put the ball between his legs and slam it home . my oh my Paul would say.

baseball just doesn't give that kind of thrill as often as Football and Basketball does.
but if you have mellowed in to your life and enjoy a cool beer with a couple of friends and don't like to fish then i guess baseball is for you.  no offence intended.
You should have been in attendance a few years ago when Brady Toops hit a grand slam to put the hogs ahead in our regional game and eventually send us to the College World Series.  Making it to the CWS is the equivalent to making a BCS bowl.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PorcineSublime

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 06, 2007, 10:07:29 am

You should have been in attendance a few years ago when Brady Toops hit a grand slam to put the hogs ahead in our regional game and eventually send us to the College World Series.  Making it to the CWS is the equivalent to making a BCS bowl.
You read my mind on that one. That was one of the single most exciting moments in Hog baseball. If you are just absolutley not a baseball fan that is fine. But if you are a fan at all, you would find that DVH puts a quality product on the field every year, even in "down" years. Last year we had half the talent (at least the top schools) that the other SEC schools had and still competed till the end. This year we are even or better than most. I say watch a game before you yawn.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

stan the man

If our football and basketball coaches were on the same level as our baseball coach we would not have a lot to gripe about.  We would be on a different level in both sports.

I don't think Broyles meddles with the baseball program because he knows that Van Horn knows what  he is doing whereby he thinks the other two programs need some help and guidance.

rightdp

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 06, 2007, 10:40:23 am
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 06, 2007, 10:07:29 am

You read my mind on that one. That was one of the single most exciting moments in Hog baseball. If you are just absolutley not a baseball fan that is fine. But if you are a fan at all, you would find that DVH puts a quality product on the field every year, even in "down" years. Last year we had half the talent (at least the top schools) that the other SEC schools had and still competed till the end. This year we are even or better than most. I say watch a game before you yawn.

I can honestly say that the moment Toops hit that out of the park was the single most exciting sports moment of my life.....actually, it's probably tied with the Miracle on Markham, but still.  Baseball is unlike football or basketball in that you can be down by 10 runs in the ninth with 2 outs and still win the game. 

Overall, football is still number one in my book.  But as for Arkansas athletics, I much more look forward to the baseball season than any other sport.  3....sometimes 4 or 5 games a week....we don't have to here about all the crap....we are just a great team with great coaches that can compete with anyone.

hogsnot06

Toops' Homer..without a doubt the loudest and single most exciting moment I have experienced in my 40+ years of Hog sports support!

We will win the CWS soon. Book it!

razorbacks1usa

van horn has to be loving all the bs on the hill with the football and the basketball team being not to good this year
i really cant wait till the season kicks off
i think the baseball team is gonna be good
of cource van horn is the best coach on the hill
and frank all i have to say is when he wins a nc in baseball
PLEASE LEAVE HIM ALONE DONT RUN HIM OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

tkhog

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 17, 2007, 10:01:14 pm
He thinks

BASEBALL

BASEBALL

BASEBALL

BASEBALL

BASEBALL

BASEBALL

BASEBALL

BASEBALL

and then some more

BASEBALL

BASEBALL BASEBALL BASEBALL BASEBALL!
He probably thinks about other things too...

Like I wonder what hotel the teams that come here for the Regional and Super Regional are going to stay in?

I wonder what restraunt I'm going to have dinner at the most in Omaha?

I wonder how many no-nos Nick will throw this year?

I wonder why people make such a big deal about the SEC Tourney?

Should I make a big deal about it?

And other unimportant stuff like that...