Not a bad loss to a 13-1 team

Started by Lanny, January 03, 2018, 07:51:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: CiriusPorker on January 03, 2018, 08:35:58 am
What lost the game for Arkansas?
inability to make free throws.
poor shot selection..
missing shots that we should have made (layups and short wide open jumpers)
no full court press....
Make free throws at a decent % and you have no OT Saturday and you win this one pretty easy!

Think it is hard to say poor shot selection when you shoot over 50%. You might look at Barford but that is his game he takes bad contested shots and makes them.

13-7 in TO also makes you a loser most games

Now did we not press because MSU handles the ball well, or is it because MA has no faith in his bench right now? I think it is the latter and that spells doom for the season unless something changes. The Bench play is horrible right now. If Bailey hadn't played better last night it might have not even been a contest.

I am thinking he is going to need to start CJ or TT maybe so he can balance out the production both offensively and defensively. Get Beard or Gafford off the bench to balance things out. If he starts CJ, he can keep 2 of the 3 seniors on the floor at all times and give them plenty of rest so they can go all out.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: HF#1 on January 03, 2018, 12:39:08 pm
I will say that Mike's continued unwillingness to be aggressive on the road is very aggravating. He doesn't dial up the pressure on the road like he does in BWA. I have no clue why. It's maddening.

Good point. Gotta think about the home cooking though. If we dial it up like that on the road I'm sure there would be more whistles against us.

Hawg Red

Quote from: riccoar on January 03, 2018, 01:42:24 pm
That's because MSU is not a good team.  Look up their schedule.  They played all patsies and 1 contender leading up to us.  The lone known was their only loss.  Arkansas fan's rail on officiating, but the road calls kept MSU in this game.  That game is in BWA and we win by 20+ without any foul disparity.  The loss hurts us going forward, but now they have to know what to expect on the road and take everything that is given to them.

Believe my post clearly indicated I had looked up their schedule.

HF#1

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 03, 2018, 02:11:59 pm
Good point. Gotta think about the home cooking though. If we dial it up like that on the road I'm sure there would be more whistles against us.

I don't believe that to be the case. If we played more of a full court game on the road, we would actually accumulate less fouls in my opinion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 03, 2018, 02:07:40 pm

I am thinking he is going to need to start CJ or TT maybe so he can balance out the production both offensively and defensively. Get Beard or Gafford off the bench to balance things out. If he starts CJ, he can keep 2 of the 3 seniors on the floor at all times and give them plenty of rest so they can go all out.

HAHAHA this is comical. Granted it isn't about who starts the game, but who finishes. But we can't afford to get down 8-10 points by not starting our best players

Athog

Quote from: Lanny on January 03, 2018, 07:51:19 am
Arkansas will lose more on the road including this Saturday against Auburn. The officiating generally helps the home team, Arkansas has to overcome the way a game is called.  My biggest concerns are the half court defense is very weak and giving up 3 point shots.  Time to try not to be blown out at Auburn and survive until next week.  Say goodbye to being ranked.

They are not good enough to be ranked yet! Maybe as the season progresses but that is to be seen!

HamIAm

Plenty of things to pick apart from last night that could have paid big dividends. But I wonder if part of last nights problem isn't just that MSU plays a defensive style that we don't handle well. The play a tight aggressive man defense and have long arms. Several times our shooters appeared to be open only to have their shots blocked.

jabberjawls

Quote from: Lanny on January 03, 2018, 07:51:19 am
Arkansas will lose more on the road including this Saturday against Auburn. The officiating generally helps the home team, Arkansas has to overcome the way a game is called.  My biggest concerns are the half court defense is very weak and giving up 3 point shots.  Time to try not to be blown out at Auburn and survive until next week.  Say goodbye to being ranked.
And say hello to who we are.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on January 03, 2018, 02:48:25 pm
HAHAHA this is comical. Granted it isn't about who starts the game, but who finishes. But we can't afford to get down 8-10 points by not starting our best players
Ok because that happened when TT started, oh wait it didn't.

The_Iceman

Quote from: cityhog on January 03, 2018, 01:34:10 pm
I agree, but that is a big ask from this team.

What in the hell are you talking about?

cityhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 03:34:10 pm
What in the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about winning on the road against what appears to be a VERY good Auburn team.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Sorry, but losing to Mississippi State in any sport is unacceptable, especially if you want to be considered a great team.  I'm questioning this team right now on being good... 0-2 in true road games, and 0-3 after this Saturday.

We're losing to Miss. State way more often than usual.

Have fun getting donkey whipped at Auburn on Saturday!  I say the Hogs are a 9-9 SEC team, 10-8 at best.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: gguillo on January 03, 2018, 04:08:57 pm
Sorry, but losing to Mississippi State in any sport is unacceptable, especially if you want to be considered a great team.  I'm questioning this team right now on being good... 0-2 in true road games, and 0-3 after this Saturday.

Have fun getting donkey whipped at Auburn on Saturday!  I say the Hogs are a 9-9 SEC team, 10-8 at best.

Sooooo........after two SEC games we give up? Seasons over?

TeufelHog

I don't care what you say/how you spin it.  The Hogs stunk up the place last night to include MA not using his last TO to set something up for the final shot.  Pure and simple - piss poor game was played.  Hopefully, they learn from the mistakes, put this game behind them, and get ready for Auburn.  All that matters is getting the next win!

The_Iceman

Quote from: cityhog on January 03, 2018, 03:57:23 pm
I'm talking about winning on the road against what appears to be a VERY good Auburn team.

You act like this team can't win away from Bud Walton Arena. Or that we can't win at Auburn. When in fact we have done both recently.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 04:40:46 pm
You act like this team can't win away from Bud Walton Arena. Or that we can't win at Auburn. When in fact we have done both recently.

Hogs have 2 true road games so far this season, and lost both. I agree 1 game does not a sec season make though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: gguillo on January 03, 2018, 04:08:57 pm

1) The last 3 seasons, we are 3rd best in SEC road winning percentage.

2) we haven't lost the game Saturday yet.

3) so you just conveniently throw out neutral site games to fit your agenda, when one of those games is against Top 10 Oklahoma?

4) why is losing to Miss State unacceptable in "any sport"? Does that include baseball? Football when they had Dak? What about the Hogs record @ Miss State, like the 1994 team?

cityhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 04:40:46 pm

We've had god luck at AU of late. That gives me hope. We've won 2 truly neutral site games and crapped the bed in our 2 true road games, so yeah, I'm still a little leery about road games. If you beat a dog enough times it winces when you approach it. That's how most hog fans are about road games still.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 04:44:05 pm
Hogs have 2 true road games so far this season, and lost both. I agree 1 game does not a sec season make though.

So the anti Mike Anderson narrative used to be "away from Bud Walton". Now, since we beat Top 10 OU on a neutral site (and UConn as well), it's "true road games"....when in fact we've only played two.

jabberjawls

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 04:45:46 pm
So the anti Mike Anderson narrative used to be "away from Bud Walton". Now, since we beat Top 10 OU on a neutral site (and UConn as well), it's "true road games"....when in fact we've only played two.
Actually, if you are going to categorize people into "anti-MA" you have to look at the entire body of the work.   The breakdowns have occurred at home and away.  That's okay, though, everyone can continue to sugar coat everything while we continue, and will continue, to be MEDIOCRE.  That's who we are, and that's who we will ever be under MA.

urkillnmesmalls

There's not a dominant enough team in the SEC right now to win consistently on the road.  With the coaching improvement across the board in the SEC this season, I think we'll do well to steal a few road wins.  The parity is much closer now, so even though we're better, the other teams are improved as well. 

While I realize the officiating didn't lose the game for us, that's just something that's inherent in SEC road play...the calls go against you most of the time.  It's as if they have an edict to protect the home team's turf and really make the visiting team be noticeably better to win.  Nothing new.  It's like the old days of boxing where to beat the champ, you had to really BEAT the champ, and could barely hope to win a decision even if it was obvious.     

When this team hits outside shots, we look great.  When we don't...we look pedestrian, and don't have many answers.  We're lacking a true PG that is a slasher, able to drive and distribute, and a solidly built power forward to complement Gafford and rebound like a beast.  Those are just facts, and we have to find ways to overcome that deficiency.

People can break that game down 9 ways until Sunday, but we lost because of something that is a recurring theme with MA's teams.  They give up too many offensive rebounds and second chance points, and I'll argue until I'm blue in the face that it's correctable with a simple emphasis on technique and making it a priority instead of just "Go get the ball." "Oh, if we had made this short, or made these free throws..."  But...think how many times we could say, "Man, if we had just not given up so many second chance points."  That's the real killer...play great defense, and not get rewarded for it.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HawgsPolo

Barford had a rough night. Hogs foul too much. Freethrows are a dilemma right now and MS st was shooting terrible from 3 and the three to tie the game was a very tough make. Hogs should've won, but didn't for various reasons.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 03, 2018, 05:34:49 pm
Barford had a rough night. Hogs foul too much. Freethrows are a dilemma right now and MS st was shooting terrible from 3 and the three to tie the game was a very tough make. Hogs should've won, but didn't for various reasons.

We can't rely on Barford and Macon to do everything.  They're going to have bad nights, just like even the best NBA players.  I think we'll see some guys emerge as the year goes on.  I hope so at least.   ;) 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogfanny

Quote from: cityhog on January 03, 2018, 01:34:10 pm
I agree, but that is a big ask from this team.
Nay. Seems it takes a loss to seemingly get to top effort. Kind of like slapping the old lady,, she'll mind for a while, then she'll need it again before long.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogfanny on January 03, 2018, 06:26:47 pm
Nay. Seems it takes a loss to seemingly get to top effort. Kind of like slapping the old lady,, she'll mind for a while, then she'll need it again before long.

Classy.   ::)