Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One thing that hasn't helped Bielema in his job as a head coach

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 11, 2017, 11:05:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Having his first child at age 47. My grandparents were younger than Bielema is now when I was born. My parents were younger than Bielema is now when my child was born and made my parents grandparents. If you are doing it right, a child takes a ton of time from BOTH parents.

Before any idiots jump me and tell me to leave his personal life out of it, my point is not that it is ever too late to have children or that he should not have children. Im not trying to tell BB what he should do with his family plans. My point is that if you happen to be the head coach at a major P5 program, being paid over $4 million a year to do that job, and you are performing terribly at your job, and you have never had a child and you are in your late 40's, may not be the best situation for you professionally, and personally, to have your first child. So I wonder if this event in his life has negatively effected his work. Hard to tell since he was not doing well last season either and his child was not born yet.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bob slydell

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

pigmania

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 11, 2017, 11:05:36 am
Having his first child at age 47. My grandparents were younger than Bielema is now when I was born. My parents were younger than Bielema is now when my child was born and made my parents grandparents. If you are doing it right, a child takes a ton of time from BOTH parents.

Before any idiots jump me and tell me to leave his personal life out of it, my point is not that it is ever too late to have children or that he should not have children. Im not trying to tell BB what he should do with his family plans. My point is that if you happen to be the head coach at a major P5 program, being paid over $4 million a year to do that job, and you are performing terribly at your job, and you have never had a child and you are in your late 40's, may not be the best situation for you professionally, and personally, to have your first child. So I wonder if this event in his life has negatively effected his work. Hard to tell since he was not doing well last season either and his child was not born yet.

I think you make a valid point. When my daughter was born she was a big distraction because all I wanted to do is be around and hold her. But I will say that I still went to work and did my job just as well as I did before she was born.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 11, 2017, 11:18:43 am
How do you explain the other 4+ years?
I know. That's a good point and one I made as well. But this is year 5 so it should be better than year 1 and but for a win over a horrible Ole Miss by 1 point, it's not any better than 0-8 in year one. One important difference is he is now 47 and just had his first child.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

The OTR

depressed_fan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 11, 2017, 11:05:36 am

I've sort of wondered that too. Most the coaches have kids but they have their first when they are coming up through the assistant ranks and a lot younger than him. With him being established financially he knows he don't need this caliber job anymore. He can quit and retire tonight and be filthy rich.   Most men aren't in that position when they have their first kid. I'm sure he would probably rather be home than doing what he's doing.

bob slydell

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 11, 2017, 11:20:17 am
I know. That's a good point and one I made as well. But this is year 5 so it should be better than year 1 and but for a win over a horrible Ole Miss by 1 point, it's not any better than 0-8 in year one. One important difference is he is now 47 and just had his first child.

Not disagreeing with you BTW.  I had my youngest at 27 and that was hard enough.  I'm 43 now and I couldn't imagine trying to go through that now.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 11, 2017, 11:35:36 am
Not disagreeing with you BTW.  I had my youngest at 27 and that was hard enough.  I'm 43 now and I couldn't imagine trying to go through that now.
Especially if you have the weight of being a $4.2 million a year head coach and all that entails regarding management and logistics, recruiting and oh yeah, actually coaching.

I knew this topic would get moved to trash can even though it's a reasonable POSSIBLE explanation for Bielema's job performance this season.

rude1