Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FBI Investigation impact on Gafford

Started by Wooderson, February 25, 2018, 11:14:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooderson

February 25, 2018, 11:14:24 am Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:53:37 am by Wooderson
I assume that the FBI probe will drive more to test NBA waters than normal. How will it impact Gaffords decision if 10-15 players go pro that normally wouldn't have?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

rude1

Don't think it changes anything, projections are based on guys they believe have the talents to leave, so they are already figured into this already just like Gafford, whether they decide to stay or go.

BoarEd

Quote from: Wooderson on February 25, 2018, 11:14:24 am
I assume that the FBI probe will drive more to test NBA waters than normal. How will it impact Gaffords decision if 10-15 players go pro that normally wouldn't have?

Mike Anderson desperately needs Gafford to return. Period. I hope that Gafford understands how important he will be to this team next season and comes back in an effort to become a lottery pick next year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BoarEd on February 25, 2018, 11:18:34 am
Mike Anderson desperately needs Gafford to return. Period. I hope that Gafford understands how important he will be to this team next season and comes back in an effort to become a lottery pick next year.

F what might be best for Gafford or what he wants to do. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BoarEd

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 25, 2018, 11:20:53 am
F what might be best for Gafford or what he wants to do.

I am a razorbacks fan first and foremost. It is my sincere hope that Gafford returns.

I'm sorry this is an alien concept to you.

popcornhog

Man, I'd love to see him come back, but what a warped/messed up view.
WPS

hawganatic

Players that are caught up in that were probably one-and-done.  Don't think it is going to drive anybody to go pro that wasn't about too anyway.

The_Bionic_Pig

In an effort to become a lottery pick next year.

What is warped about that view?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wooderson on February 25, 2018, 11:14:24 am

rude is right.

I think the investigation will have a bigger impact on players transferring.  The shifting around of players may grow even bigger.  And the NCAA may have to make more exceptions to allow transfers to be eligible immediately if coming from one of the programs getting hit in the investigation. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

k.c.hawg

Hate the topic Gafford/FBI Investigation.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 25, 2018, 11:28:14 am
Hate the topic Gafford/FBI Investigation.

Thought the same thing when I saw it.  Not a good subject line. 

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hawganatic on February 25, 2018, 11:25:15 am
Players that are caught up in that were probably one-and-done.  Don't think it is going to drive anybody to go pro that wasn't about too anyway.

So have we reached out to Shareef O'neal yet...lol
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Mike Irwin

Quote from: popcornhog on February 25, 2018, 11:23:08 am
What's warped/messed up about a fan who wants a talented player to come back for his sophomore season to help the team win games? It's not like he's asking Gafford to give up an NBA career. Wait a year. Enter the draft as a higher pick. Make more money.

Wooderson

I don't think it's a warped POV. It's a tough balance to want what's best for our student athlete's and what's best for our program. I really want Gafford to be a millionaire, but I also want our program to maintain momentum. I don't think Bobby staying for year two hurt him in any way.

BoarEd

You realize the difference between being a mid to late first round pick and a lottery pick is MILLIONS of dollars worth of guaranteed money, right?

If Gafford gets a draft evaluation that leads him to believe he could wait a year and be a lottery pick may very well make it financially prudent to return for a second season.

I don't see anything warped about that.

k.c.hawg

Loved how Sean Miller sat out last night and Lorenzo Romar took over for Arizona when it was shown Fultz at Washington got $10k last year. We can't send our coach out there that has a $100k payoff question mark, make Romar the interim he only has a $10k question mark!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BoarEd on February 25, 2018, 11:31:11 am
You realize the difference between being a mid to late first round pick and a lottery pick is MILLIONS of dollars worth of guaranteed money, right?

If Gafford gets a draft evaluation that leads him to believe he could wait a year and be a lottery pick may very well make it financially prudent to return for a second season.

I don't see anything warped about that.

;D  We know this is what you were trying to say in your first post.   ;)

Hawg Red

I support Gafford either way. He has to do what's best for him and our opinions on what they might be don't matter. He's an NBA talent. Won't say he's an NBA player but most guys drafted aren't. He's shown enough traits and characteristics that so few have, especially for a player his size, that he will be a first-round pick without a doubt. From just a draft optimization standpoint, it really depends more on how NBA teams view his true potential. Only that will drive his stock up the board. It won't matter if he comes back and wins SEC POY if they don't view him as translating to anything more than a rotational piece. He's not going to go top 5-10 if they view him that way. In that sense, it might make sense to just go this season. But if they give him feedback (and I don't know if it works this way) that they think he could be a truly valuable player, then I think he has to crunch the numbers on money and who is coming back or going pro at his position.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wooderson on February 25, 2018, 11:30:55 am
I don't think it's a warped POV. It's a tough balance to want what's best for our student athlete's and what's best for our program. I really want Gafford to be a millionaire, but I also want our program to maintain momentum. I don't think Bobby staying for year two hurt him in any way.

Bobby also wasn't projected nearly as high as Gafford is right now after his freshman. Big difference. Bobby made the easy decision. Gafford's decision will be much tougher (at least from my view).

Wooderson

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2018, 11:36:57 am
Bobby also wasn't projected nearly as high as Gafford is right now after his freshman. Big difference. Bobby made the easy decision. Gafford's decision will be much tougher (at least from my view).

Which is strange to me. Bobby was more thought of out of high school. A more rounded player in college as a freshman and sec poy as a sophomore. The only thing Gafford has over Portis is athleticism.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wooderson on February 25, 2018, 11:39:14 am
Which is strange to me. Bobby was more thought of out of high school. A more rounded player in college as a freshman and sec poy as a sophomore. The only thing Gafford has over Portis is athleticism.

And that is a pretty big separator. Gafford provides more impact on defense and can actually defend laterally. A big with special defensive traits will always cut to the front of the line.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2018, 11:36:57 am

Yep, Bobby's decision was do I go now or come back for a Jr season. I think he made the right move. I don't think he would have moved up much and it looks like he will get to free agency one year sooner than he would have. And, he has developed enough, without consistent playing time that he is going to get a very nice free agent deal.

BoarEd

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 25, 2018, 11:41:02 am
And that is a pretty big separator. Gafford provides more impact on defense and can actually defend laterally. A big with special defensive traits will always cut to the front of the line.

One of the things that I find super impressive about Gafford's game are his quick hands. If a big turns to face him up and tries to put the ball on the floor Gafford will poke the ball out. He runs the floor like a guard and has a knack for thunderous finishes at the rim, which translates to instant momentum for his team. He is a super impressive player. He reminds me of Kevin Garnette.

His athleticism is supreme.

If he is able to develop a mid range jumper he is going to be hell on wheels on the basketball court. He has been working on it too. He is starting to attempt those shots with more regularity. If he starts sinking them, he becomes a nightmare.

bjeffersonhog

the way NBA contracts are set up though, you want to get to your second contract as soon as possible.   Also lets not forget that their playing days are limited.  If you go a year earlier that's an extra year you are earning income.  Moving up 4 or 5 spots isn't really worth it when you consider the lost year of income and getting to that second contract where you can make much more if you have become an asset to your team. 

All of that being said I would love for Gafford to come back next year, but I'm not going to get upset if he decides to leaves early.

liljo

The title of this thread was very alarming. I'm okay now.  Just had to sit down a minute.  :-[
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

BoarEd

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on February 25, 2018, 11:47:05 am
the way NBA contracts are set up though, you want to get to your second contract as soon as possible.   Also lets not forget that their playing days are limited.  If you go a year earlier that's an extra year you are earning income.  Moving up 4 or 5 spots isn't really worth it when you consider the lost year of income and getting to that second contract where you can make much more if you have become an asset to your team. 

All of that being said I would love for Gafford to come back next year, but I'm not going to get upset if he decides to leaves early.

There's no way of knowing how the numbers are going to work in his case until he gets an "official" draft evaluation at the end of the year. The things you mention will certainly play a role in his decision, but there just isn't any way of knowing yet.

Sometimes players do elect to return to help their team though. Let's hope he wants to provide some continuity for the team after losing its core group this year.

FineAsSwine

Gafford came to Arkansas unhearalded nationally and even locally and blossomed quickly under the tutelage of Coach Watkins. He helped Daniel develop faster than anyone, including Daniel himself, could have reasonably expected.

If Gafford is 50/50 on leaving, his relationship with Coach W. will weigh heavily. He said that Coach Watkins is like having a second father.

Wooderson

It will be the most disappointed I have been since Al Jefferson.  Without Gafford, Mike will be fighting to keep his winning record streak intact.  I won't be upset with Daniel, but I will hate it for our program.  It will slow the momentum Mike has built the last 4 years.

Wooderson

Quote from: liljo on February 25, 2018, 11:50:09 am
The title of this thread was very alarming. I'm okay now.  Just had to sit down a minute.  :-[

Changed. Relax they haven't got to Nike...yet.

bjeffersonhog

Quote from: Wooderson on February 25, 2018, 11:51:22 am
It will be the most disappointed I have been since Al Jefferson.  Without Gafford, Mike will be fighting to keep his winning record streak intact.  I won't be upset with Daniel, but I will hate it for our program.  It will slow the momentum Mike has built the last 4 years.
When Jefferson went pro without stepping on campus that was probably the most disappointed I had ever been about losing a player. 

popcornhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 25, 2018, 11:30:31 am
What's warped/messed up about a fan who wants a talented player to come back for his sophomore season to help the team win games? It's not like he's asking Gafford to give up an NBA career. Wait a year. Enter the draft as a higher pick. Make more money.

I'd think we would want what's best for the kid, not for us as fans or for mike or for the UA.

Taking it a step further, I'd think most fans would hope that coming back would be the best thing for Gafford and that he would make that decision because it's whats best for him. But if he ends up deciding that it's in his best interest to go pro, I wouldn't want to see him make the wrong decision just because it would make me happy as a fan.
WPS

99toLife

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 11:51:03 am
Gafford came to Arkansas unhearalded nationally and even locally and blossomed quickly under the tutelage of Coach Watkins. He helped Daniel develop faster than anyone, including Daniel himself, could have reasonably expected.

If Gafford is 50/50 on leaving, his relationship with Coach W. will weigh heavily. He said that Coach Watkins is like having a second father.

Don't know for sure but can't imagine a father/father figure advising them to turn their back on Millions of guaranteed money. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BoarEd on February 25, 2018, 11:45:14 am
If he is able to develop a mid range jumper he is going to be hell on wheels on the basketball court. He has been working on it too. He is starting to attempt those shots with more regularity. If he starts sinking them, he becomes a nightmare.

Another great rationale for coming back another year to a place he loves while refining his game.

Plus, I don't think Mama Gafford is ready to release her baby to the wolves just yet. Money ain't everything regardless of what you read on Hogville. Every black athlete isn't living the the ghetto with the lights out and no food in the fridge.

liljo

Quote from: Wooderson on February 25, 2018, 11:54:19 am
Changed. Relax they haven't got to Nike...yet.

Thank you my friend. Dizziness gone. Resting heart rate--check. BP: dropping.

Whew!
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 99toLife on February 25, 2018, 11:55:36 am
Don't know for sure but can't imagine a father/father figure turning advising them to their back on Millions of guaranteed money.

Didn't say he would advise him to turn down anything. Just saying that relationships matter and that could be a factor in Daniels decision making if its a 50/50 type of deal to stay or go. The kid is having a great time at school and getting better and better at the game he loves under the tutelage of a guy who has helped him tap his potential. He may decide to keep learning the game in his current environment and try to improve his stock as a top pick for next year.

BoarEd

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 11:56:57 am
Another great rationale for coming back another year to a place he loves while refining his game.

Plus, I don't think Mama Gafford is ready to release her baby to the wolves just yet. Money ain't everything regardless of what you read on Hogville. Every black athlete isn't living the the ghetto with the lights out and no food in the fridge.

This second paragraph here illustrates a misnomer when it comes to sports in general. I would argue that the number of athletes who actually DO grow up with no food on the table, but somehow make it to the Division One level is actually very small. This is an argument put out there to try and justify people being willing to break the rules/law in order to make shady agents type rich

The one thing it takes to make it in sports, other than being blessed with genetics, is a drive to be the best at whatever it is you are doing. People don't develop that drive unless they have a strong family unit. And if you have a strong family unit full of the support it takes to develop your game to that level, chances are you also have food on the table.

Being poor is an excuse people use after they've been caught breaking the law.

rude1

This is only valid if you show promise the first 3 years that getting to the second contract earlier is a financial advantage. If not you end up overseas or the D league and you lose the millions difference from being a possible top lottery pick. There is no set in stone way to go, it's a gamble either way, some choose to take the smaller amount now and hope to get that big second contract, others come back develop into a top lottery pick and get more up front.

jbigs77

I want what's best for him to. What I've seen to this point is a lot of potential. Also seen him get shut down several times. I think it would serve him well to stay at least 1 more year. He needs development and maturity.

texas tush hog

February 25, 2018, 12:07:56 pm #38 Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:19:02 pm by texas tush hog
Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 11:56:57 am

Plus, I don't think Mama Gafford is ready to release her baby to the wolves just yet. Money ain't everything regardless of what you read on Hogville. Every black athlete doess not live in the the ghetto with the lights out and no food in the fridge.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 25, 2018, 11:30:31 am

Thanks Mike, a voice of reason. Gafford knows who helped him go from an unnoticed nobody, to now being a mid to late first rounder. He also knows what another year under this staff will mean to his draft status. According to many on this board he will not learn from our staff. Fortunately he himself knows how much he has learned from Mike and company, and can see what an extra few million he can make in another year.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: popcornhog on February 25, 2018, 11:55:25 am
I'd think we would want what's best for the kid, not for us as fans or for mike or for the UA.

Taking it a step further, I'd think most fans would hope that coming back would be the best thing for Gafford and that he would make that decision because it's whats best for him. But if he ends up deciding that it's in his best interest to go pro, I wouldn't want to see him make the wrong decision just because it would make me happy as a fan.

I think that we all know that Gafford and his family alone will decide to stay or go, regardless of anyones wishes on here. So it really doesn't matter if someone on here says that he should come back or go. These opinions don't matter.

The more truthful fans are the ones who opine that they hope he stays because Daniel is special and moreso because he is from here and if he wants to stay here all four years I will not make a single post second guessing his decision. But I do know that if he leaves, I won't be mad.

99toLife

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 12:01:39 pm
Didn't say he would advise him to turn down anything. Just saying that relationships matter and that could be a factor in Daniels decision making if its a 50/50 type of deal to stay or go. The kid is having a great time at school and getting better and better at the game he loves under the tutelage of a guy who has helped him tap his potential. He may decide to keep learning the game in his current environment and try to improve his stock as a top pick for next year.

Didn't say you did. If he stays, great for us, if he goes great for him.  I would be more surprised if he stays, and yes I would be very happy.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 25, 2018, 12:07:56 pm

Thanks Mike, a voice of reason. Gafford knows who helped him go from an unnoticed nobody, to now being a mid to late first rounder. He also knows what another year under this staff will mean to his draft status. According to many on this board he will not learn from our staff. Fortunately he himself knows how much he has learned from Mike and company, and can see what an extra few million he can make in another year.

::)

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 25, 2018, 12:14:49 pm
::)

I think he meant nobody in terms of attention from NBA Draft prognosticators. Even without the NBA love, we would still love Daniel here.

texas tush hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 12:19:00 pm
I think he meant nobody in terms of attention from NBA Draft prognosticators. Even without the NBA love, we would still love Daniel here.

Agreed, he will be loved here, regardless. My money says he comes back and moves up in the draft and makes millions more.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 12:19:00 pm

No darn.

popcornhog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 25, 2018, 12:08:41 pm

I think that we all know that Gafford and his family alone will decide to stay or go, regardless of anyones wishes on here. So it really doesn't matter if someone on here says that he should come back or go. These opinions don't matter.

The more truthful fans are the ones who opine that they hope he stays because Daniel is special and moreso because he is from here and if he wants to stay here all four years I will not make a single post second guessing his decision. But I do know that if he leaves, I won't be mad.

I agree with everything you said.
WPS

RazorPiggie

We won't be very good next year if Gafford leaves.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 25, 2018, 01:36:23 pm
We won't be very good next year if Gafford leaves.

This is one possibility. Can't say it wouldn't be true. I Can't wait to see what happens.

liljo

I'm reminded of the case of Hershel Walker, Heisman winner out of the U of Georgia...people down there in UGA badly wanted him to stay another year. There was a new football league starting called the USFL, and one of the new teams offered Hershel 13-16MM to come play. A Dallas newspaper reporter named Blackie Sherrod summed it up nicely:
"If Hershel Walker turns down 13 million dollars to stay in school, then he definitely needs more education."

It really all depends upon how badly the NBA wants him as to what he should do. As far as I'm concerned he's always going to be a Razorback. As a fan, I DEFINITELY want him to stay.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 25, 2018, 11:29:07 am
Thought the same thing when I saw it.  Not a good subject line. 

It is if you want people to click on it
Go away, batin'