Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who do you all want?

Started by Dudeman, February 10, 2018, 07:23:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

I like Mike Anderson. I know many don't. I think he is an alright coach and has provided much needed stability to the program. So if he gets fired then who does Arkansas try to get? Who does everybody want Arkansas to go after?
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

hogsanity

When Mike leaves in about another decade, I hope they would do their best to identify the best up and coming coach they can find. Just like was done with Eddie and Nolan. Just like other schools have done with guys like Donovan, the Miller boys, how Illinois did with Self, and dozens of other schools have done over the years. College basketball does not require you to go out and get a long term established coach.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BannerMountainMan

We are in the middle of the freaking season wth
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 07:26:36 pm
When Mike leaves in about another decade, I hope they would do their best to identify the best up and coming coach they can find. Just like was done with Eddie and Nolan. Just like other schools have done with guys like Donovan, the Miller boys, how Illinois did with Self, and dozens of other schools have done over the years. College basketball does not require you to go out and get a long term established coach.

For every Eddie and Nolan there are about 100 heath and Pelphrey.  So tell us if he was fired right now who is it that you would want. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

oldbooniehog

Anybody who could get the Hogs ranked anywhere in the AP Top 25, for more than one week, would be a great start.

apcapri

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 10, 2018, 08:23:47 pm
For every Eddie and Nolan there are about 100 heath and Pelphrey.  So tell us if he was fired right now who is it that you would want. 

I was pretty clear he isnt going anywhere.  I have no idea but that's not my job. Its the job of the AD to go find the best guy. As with any coaching hire its a crap shoot. But that's no reason not to look.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 09:25:47 pm
I was pretty clear he isnt going anywhere.  I have no idea but that's not my job. Its the job of the AD to go find the best guy. As with any coaching hire its a crap shoot. But that's no reason not to look.

So you can't tell me of anyone you want right now that you think would come in and be your next Nolan or Eddie? 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 10, 2018, 09:19:54 pm
Anybody who could get the Hogs ranked anywhere in the AP Top 25, for more than one week, would be a great start.
So......you don't know. Name names old man.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 09:25:47 pm
Actually, going to the tournament for the 3rd time in 4 years is a reason not to look. And that's just getting there. With a good draw, this team could do some damage.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I like MA. He is a good coach and he believes in what Arkansas can be.

His problem is he isn't a great coach. Which in year 7 is driving people crazy considering he hasn't made it to the Sweet 16 yet.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 07:26:36 pm

They DID try to identify up and comers and they both sucked here and are no longer coaching.
Your hate for anything mike Anderson is so evident. He's not perfect and we aren't as good as I want to be but Your hate for him and your man love for basketball officials is nauseating.

Nothing but disgusting hot garbage.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 10, 2018, 09:41:24 pm
I like MA. He is a good coach and he believes in what Arkansas can be.

His problem is he isn't a great coach. Which in year 7 is driving people crazy considering he hasn't made it to the Sweet 16 yet.
It's not that we haven't made it to the round of 16.  It's because we play so inconsistent, and we have only made it into the tournament 2 times in 6 years.  The tournament itself is a crap shoot for most of the teams besides the select/elite top 8 or 10 and even they lose early sometimes.  But you need to be there and play consistent basketball throughout the season to guarantee entry and hopefully a top 7 seed minimum.  that ensures you will not play a #1 in the second game. 

HouSwine

FineAsSwine

pigture perfect

Any up and comer of today will be an old timer by the time Mike leaves.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 10, 2018, 10:34:59 pm
So what your saying is that we will have a lot of appearances in the NCAA tournament over the next 5 to 10 years.

ChicoHog

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 10, 2018, 10:34:59 pm
Not a good sign! 

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 10, 2018, 09:36:53 pm
So......you don't know. Name names old man.

Nathan Davis - Bucknell
Dan Hurley - Rhode Island
Eric Musselman - Nevada
Wojo ( Cant begin to spell his name ) Marquette

I might even take a risk on a guy Like Stoudamire at Pacific.

Dudeman

So who's worth the gamble? What coach out there right now can come in and get Arkansas consistently ranked high and always a lock for the ncaa tournament every year? Unless you can miraculously get Marshall or Self or some established high caliber coach it would be a big risk. Get someone and it doesn't work out and then it's cellar dweller for who knows how long. I like Mike.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dudeman on February 10, 2018, 11:24:58 pm
So who's worth the gamble? What coach out there right now can come in and get Arkansas consistently ranked high and always a lock for the ncaa tournament every year? Unless you can miraculously get Marshall or Self or some established high caliber coach it would be a big risk. Get someone and it doesn't work out and then it's cellar dweller for who knows how long. I like Mike.

using that logic no one should ever fire their coach.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 11:22:46 pm
Nathan Davis - Bucknell
Eric Musselman - Nevada

Hurley has done really well at RI.  Heck, we may be able to get his brother who is at AZ st now.  Musselman is intriguing.  He is a little controversial in his previous stops.  Living in NoCal I remember when the Kings hired him about 10 years ago.  Maybe not that long.  Anyway when he interviewed the Kings front office and owners were so impressed as he prepared this entire "thesis" on how the team can improve and what he would do to make it happen.  He got the job but it all fell apart quickly.  Trouble with player relations mostly.  His dad, Bill, was a great coach. Maybe he's got it figured out now and the college game suits him better? 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2018, 11:22:46 pm
Nathan Davis - Bucknell
Eric Musselman - Nevada

5 coaches. 1 tournament win in their entire careers combined. You sure know how to pick em.

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 10, 2018, 11:28:03 pm
Hurley has done really well at RI.  Heck, we may be able to get his brother who is at AZ st now.  Musselman is intriguing.  He is a little controversial in his previous stops.  Living in NoCal I remember when the Kings hired him about 10 years ago.  Maybe not that long.  Anyway when he interviewed the Kings front office and owners were so impressed as he prepared this entire "thesis" on how the team can improve and what he would do to make it happen.  He got the job but it all fell apart quickly.  Trouble with player relations mostly.  His dad, Bill, was a great coach. Maybe he's got it figured out now and the college game suits him better? 

The point is that there are good young coaches out there. EVERY GREAT COACH WAS ONCE A YOUNG UP AND COMER.

jchill

February 10, 2018, 11:33:08 pm #24 Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:32:13 pm by jchill
It's been an up and down year in college basketball. Top 25 teams have been losing a lot lately. Arkansas is having a good year and I am very proud of my Hogs.

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on February 10, 2018, 11:31:18 pm
5 coaches. 1 tournament win in their entire careers combined. You sure know how to pick em.

Coach K was coming off a 9-17 season when Duke hired him from Army.

Knight was coming off a 11-13 season when Indiana hired him

Self was 44-54 at ORU when Tulsa hired him

Every great coach was once a new coach, an up and comer.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Dudeman on February 10, 2018, 11:24:58 pm
Sometimes you have to take a risk to get to the next level.  Be happy at getting into the tournament once in a while, losing games badly at home, sometimes playing great-sometimes playing horrible, or take a chance.  Might have to go one step back to take two steps forward. 

AHiD

My name...is Jerruh

pigture perfect

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 10, 2018, 10:52:52 pm
So what your saying is that we will have a lot of appearances in the NCAA tournament over the next 5 to 10 years.
No. that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Mike is not getting fired anytime soon.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 11, 2018, 12:14:20 am
No. that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Mike is not getting fired anytime soon.

Like him or hate him he's not going anywhere. I like him..I want him to win more but man the SEC is tough. I thought he would recruit better we lack talent and are playing several that aren't SEC caliber players.

Dirty

hulk hog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 10, 2018, 09:31:43 pm
So you can't tell me of anyone you want right now that you think would come in and be your next Nolan or Eddie?
If we had to make a change(and I think we would have to really collapse for there to be one)  I would Think we could get Fred Hoiberg. He's only 45 and he's had a mess in Chicago but he had success at Iowa St.  Key is if there is any chance we will make a change the AD should already have feelers out there.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....