Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cross Campbell off the list

Started by SooieGeneris, October 23, 2017, 10:36:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SooieGeneris

According to this, not only would UA be on the hook for Butter Bean's buyout, but likely Campbell's also..

http://footballscoop.com/news/anyone-coming-matt-campbell-better-prepared-break-bank/
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawghiggs

I haven't thought of Butter Bean in a long time.

ur

October 23, 2017, 11:03:36 pm #3 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:25:40 am by ur
Buyout Looks more like $6.2 million  + $200k to Toledo. Check my previous posts. Don't count him out yet. Waiting on numbers confirmation from Wally's attorney.  ;)

Arkansas Fan

Pig in the Pokey

He's a great young coach. Had my eye on him since they whooped us.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

tomarkansawyer

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 23, 2017, 10:40:53 pm
According to this, not only would UA be on the hook for Butter Bean's buyout, but likely Campbell's also..

I think hiring Campbell is doable. Instead of money, give ISU what they really want. National exposure and recruiting in Texas. Drop all LR games, move aTm back to campus and play ISU in Jerry's World for the next 5 seasons. Pay Butterbean his 6 million and get a real coach in here. I think Campbell is my favorite choice at this moment, then would be the Memphis coach and then Gus. Any of those 3 would be a major improvement.

Redhogs

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on October 24, 2017, 10:02:49 am
I think hiring Campbell is doable. Instead of money, give ISU what they really want. National exposure and recruiting in Texas. Drop all LR games, move aTm back to campus and play ISU in Jerry's World for the next 5 seasons. Pay Butterbean his 6 million and get a real coach in here. I think Campbell is my favorite choice at this moment, then would be the Memphis coach and then Gus. Any of those 3 would be a major improvement.
Agree with this whole post...except the Gus part.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Cinco de Hogo

What happens if he loses the next three games(likely) and is 5-5?

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 24, 2017, 10:12:29 am

Curse of Hogville. Last week a bunch here were on Brohm, and then he lost to a wretched Rutgers.

I swear some here pick who they want as the nest coach by looking at the scoreboard wrap up show Sat night and either pick the coach who pulled the biggest upset or the team that scored the most points.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

texas tush hog

ipigsooie

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 24, 2017, 10:40:05 am
If we want him, he's Tennessee's.

No way man. Read their board. They are getting Gruden. Havent you heard? Hahahah

clutch

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 10:16:19 am
Curse of Hogville. Last week a bunch here were on Brohm, and then he lost to a wretched Rutgers.

I swear some here pick who they want as the nest coach by looking at the scoreboard wrap up show Sat night and either pick the coach who pulled the biggest upset or the team that scored the most points.

There's a lot of truth to that. If there is a major upset, that coaches name is going to get thrown around on this board. 100% fact. Dino Babers is a perfect example. People won't even know what style of offense a coach likes to run before they throw their name around.

tomarkansawyer

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 24, 2017, 10:12:29 am

Going 5-5 at ISU, his first year, is an incredible coaching job. Shows he has the chops. I did put a qualifier on it, "at this moment". :)

The main thing I am trying to do is think outside the box. I don't think there is any way we cough up 10 million to get him out of his ISU contract, but there are other things we could offer that may be a win-win for both programs.

jgphillips3

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on October 24, 2017, 11:56:22 am
Going 5-5 at ISU, his first year, is an incredible coaching job. Shows he has the chops. I did put a qualifier on it, "at this moment". :)

The main thing I am trying to do is think outside the box. I don't think there is any way we cough up 10 million to get him out of his ISU contract, but there are other things we could offer that may be a win-win for both programs.

Yeah.  James Franklin went 7-6 then 9-4, 9-4 at Vanderbilt.  Sometimes, it is not just the record but what school you achieved that record at and how your team played when clearly outmanned.  5-5 at ISU May be very similar to 7-6 at Vanderbilt.

jdlew

If he is going to be that hot...he will have better choices than Arkansas...

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: tomarkansawyer on October 24, 2017, 11:56:22 am

If he is 5-5 after the next three games it would be very hard to imagine any school shelling out 10 mil.  He needs to slay another dragon in my opinion. 

ur

Footballscoop added up the total potential compensation (9.8 mill) . That includes incentives which would be stupid for a coach to pay back.
Buyout is just the total compensation which is base plus additional (not incentives) (6.2 mill).
The Buyout is 6.2 mill, not 9.8 mill.
The Buyout
If Iowa State were to terminate the contract without Just Cause then the buyout is standard boilerplate terminology that takes Campbell's Total Compensation (not Base Pay) times the years left on his contract. Say Campbell gets three years to work his craft, fails, and gets fired. He would then receive his 2019, 2020, and 2021 Total Compensation within 45 days of his termination. That amount comes out to $4.8M.

Surprisingly, if Campbell terminates the contract the same language applies. Say he gets those three years and gets plucked away by another school. Then it's the $4.8M left on his contract that comes back to the university within 45 days. It's tempting to believe that this means Campbell wants to stay for a long time, and maybe it's true, but it's far more likely that both parties went in to this with open minds.

al_pigcino

How many Iowa State coaches do you guys want on staff?

Wildhog

Quote from: al_pigcino on October 24, 2017, 04:25:24 pm
How many Iowa State coaches do you guys want on staff?

Is one of them Matt Campbell?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

I've said all along that the U of A won't go after a sitting D1 Head coach. After having to play a 6 Million dollar buyout to get rid of Bret and being in the middle of a stadium expansion., I don't see them wanting to mess with a high buyout so I believe they'll go after a coordinator. I still believe that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

grayhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 04:34:40 pm
I've said all along that the U of A won't go after a sitting D1 Head coach. After having to play a 6 Million dollar buyout to get rid of Bret and being in the middle of a stadium expansion., I don't see them wanting to mess with a high buyout so I believe they'll go after a coordinator. I still believe that.
Don't bet on it.

GuvHog

Quote from: grayhawg on October 24, 2017, 04:35:56 pm
Don't bet on it.

I'm not a betting man but I'd be surprised (and pleased) if they go after Campbell or another good HC but I just don't see it happening. I think they'll end up going the coordinator route and I wouldn't be surprised if Brent Venables gets offered the job first.

Remember, they went after a big name HC when they hired Bret and got burned by that hire so they may not be so quick to go that route this time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!