Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What I want in our Next Coach

Started by WilsonHog, October 23, 2017, 04:22:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Chief on October 23, 2017, 08:01:23 pm
His last three years he's won 8, 7, and 8 respectively.  With all that Awbarn talent.  What.  Makes.  You.  Think.  He'd. Win.  Eight. Or. More. A. Year. Here???????
what makes you think someone else would do that well?

what coach on your list are you confident can win 8 games a year?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bphi11ips

His last three years he's won 8, 7, and 8 respectively.  With all that Awbarn talent.  What.  Makes.  You.  Think.  He'd. Win.  Eight. Or. More. A. Year. Here???????

Look at Auburn's losses since Malzahn has been head coach.  Who was his QB those years? 

Why do you think Arkansas won 10 games in 2006?  Why do you think they lost their last three that year?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 23, 2017, 08:07:08 pm
Look at Auburn's losses since Malzahn has been head coach.  Who was his QB those years? 

Why do you think Arkansas won 10 games in 2006?  Why do you think they lost their last three that year?

Easy.  The first answer is Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, and a salty defense.

The answer to the second is that Houston Nutt found a way to lose with all of that talent.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2017, 08:04:51 pm

You always answer questions with a question.  Answer mine, first.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Hoggie17

I think on a bad year he could drop to 6 wins but I think his average would be 8 wins a year. We can always keep BB if you like losing. I am not from from NW Arkansas and I now live in Eastern Tn. I have no Love for Gus, I just think he is a winner.  I never posted all the time that BP was here, I think he is a winner.  I don't understand the mentality of some Hog fans. BP was not a person that you would want to have an adult beverage with but he could win at Arkansas. 

WilsonHog

If we do hire a new coach in a few weeks, we may well look back and wish we'd hired a coach with as pitiful a record as Malzahn has produced at Auburn.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2017, 08:04:51 pm

Then what's the point of hiring a new coach other than Bielema has lost the locker room here. The past 3 seasons, Gus has won a single more game than Bielema and has a worse bowl record.

If all you want is change for the sake of change, then sure. If you want change because you want Arkansas to be better than we've been under Bielema, than Gus is not the right option.

I want (realistically) a coach that will win 8-9 games a year most years with some 10+ seasons and I understand a 7 down to a 6 win season under worst case scenario. Gus can't do that Auburn so the odds are low that he'd be able to improve his record by coming here. It'd likely be the same or slightly worse.

No coach can be guaranteed to have success anywhere. I'd want a coach who has at least met the standard at his or her school that I want to happen here. With the only exceptions being if they are at a really, really bad school.

We don't need some program builder to come in here though. We have talent on our roster right now to win 8-9 games regularly. We need somebody who can win at a higher level than we've done under Bielema.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 23, 2017, 07:54:42 pm
Exactly

Hog fans need to stop this silly bickering and get behind a winner. Gus is a winner, this is his home he would stay here, he would be more than a hired gun. He would win 8 or more games a year.  Wouldn't you Hog fans like that.
Hog fans do not unite... there will be a loud minority against any hire.  Some of them probably only against it so they can proclaim their status almighty in a few years when yetanother coach fails at the UofA.

Matt Burks

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 08:17:16 pm
If we do hire a new coach in a few weeks, we may well look back and wish we'd hired a coach with as pitiful a record as Malzahn has produced at Auburn.
Or, we could look back and regret that we didn't go after Norvell, Campbell or Brohm. We don't need to have another "what might have been" like we did with Jimmy Johnson and Tubberville.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Matt Burks on October 23, 2017, 08:37:05 pm
Or, we could look back and regret that we didn't go after Norvell, Campbell or Brohm. We don't need to have another "what might have been" like we did with Jimmy Johnson and Tubberville.

Or, we may go after them and get turned down.

parallaxpig

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 08:43:05 pm

Or out Bid......it's gonna be expensive.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hoggie17

I would be happy with Brohm.

ThisTeetsTaken

It's time to try a fun n gun offense. 
Those 3 need to be checked for interest. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Matt Burks

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 08:43:05 pm
I don't know about the others, but I don't think Norvell will turn us down. He's in the UCA HOF and his wife's family is in Fort Smith. There's at least one article out there pointing his desire to coach at UofA.

Hoggie17

I never thought TCU would get a coach that could make them winners again.  The right coach can come in here and do the same for us. 

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 23, 2017, 08:48:27 pm
I never thought TCU would get a coach that could make them winners again.  The right coach can come in here and do the same for us. 
I was calling for Gary Patterson during the Nutt years. Great coach.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rtr

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 04:22:37 pm
I want a man who values and emphasizes attention to detail in all things. A man who demands every day that his players strive for perfection in everything they do. A guy who, if you run the wrong route, take the wrong angle, step the wrong way, he's going to (a) notice it and (b) immediately crawl your ass about it. Down 31-0 or up 31-0, do it right or have him in your face giving you pure hell. Lou Holtz was like that. Bobby Petrino was like that. I suspect strongly that Wilson Matthews was like that.
I agree with all that, I also want one who values our traditions and respects the people and culture of our poor, small but proud state.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

ChicoHog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 23, 2017, 08:50:34 pm
He has done a great job there.  I think it also helped TCU doing the slow build up back to the Big 12.  They spent some time in the WAC and Mountain West slowly building their identity and letting Patterson do it his way.   Then got the invite back to the big time and have shown they can do it. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 23, 2017, 08:32:19 pm
Then what's the point of hiring a new coach other than Bielema has lost the locker room here. The past 3 seasons, Gus has won a single more game than Bielema and has a worse bowl record.

If all you want is change for the sake of change, then sure. If you want change because you want Arkansas to be better than we've been under Bielema, than Gus is not the right option.

I want (realistically) a coach that will win 8-9 games a year most years with some 10+ seasons and I understand a 7 down to a 6 win season under worst case scenario. Gus can't do that Auburn so the odds are low that he'd be able to improve his record by coming here. It'd likely be the same or slightly worse.

No coach can be guaranteed to have success anywhere. I'd want a coach who has at least met the standard at his or her school that I want to happen here. With the only exceptions being if they are at a really, really bad school.

We don't need some program builder to come in here though. We have talent on our roster right now to win 8-9 games regularly. We need somebody who can win at a higher level than we've done under Bielema.
auburn smoked us and didn't even break a sweat.

to say that malzahn and CBB are remotely comparable is silly.

if we were winning 8-9 games a year like malzahn does at auburn, we would not be firing our coach.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: The Chief on October 23, 2017, 08:10:33 pm
You always answer questions with a question.  Answer mine, first.
he will win at least 8 games this year and be ranked in the top 25.

we are about to go 3-9 and not be ranked yet again.

Malzahn has proven he can do what CBB cannot, and that is create a winning program in the SEC.

now answer mine.  who do you think we can realistically get that has a better resume than malzahn?

ur

If he gets the call, he better win. Don't you know the opponents will have a field day with this. My wife said he would be a def improvement now.

Hoggie17

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2017, 09:16:42 pm

Malzahn has proven he can do what CBB cannot, and that is create a winning program in the SEC.

now answer mine.  who do you think we can realistically get that has a better resume than malzahn?
We can't.  He is a safe hire, he would stay at Arkansas and he is a proven winner.

lakecityhog

Did I read that Campbell has a 9Mil buyout??? I think that would effectively eliminate him from contention.

It appears that Brohm also has a buyout, 4mil after Dec 5th.

Frost has a buyout of 3Mil.

Norvell has a 1/2Mil buyout, easily the best of the bunch!

Will the buyouts be a deal killer? I could see the 9Mil stopping most any school, but 3 or 4Mil???

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2017, 09:14:36 pm
auburn smoked us and didn't even break a sweat.

to say that malzahn and CBB are remotely comparable is silly.

if we were winning 8-9 games a year like malzahn does at auburn, we would not be firing our coach.

Vandy would smoke us this year and not break a sweat doing so. We have the talent right now to beat Auburn. Bielema has lost the locker room and thus has to go.

However, yeah, their overall records are quite comparable. Past 3 seasons, Gus has won a single more game than Bielema has and has done worse in the post-season.

If Malzahn was winning 8-9 games a year at Auburn, i'd be more prone to having him coach here. He's not. He's winning 7-8 games at Auburn which is why he's on the hot seat there. Same as Bielema was here even before the debacle this season.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ur

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 23, 2017, 09:30:24 pm
Did I read that Campbell has a 9Mil buyout??? I think that would effectively eliminate him from contention.

It appears that Brohm also has a buyout, 4mil after Dec 5th.

Frost has a buyout of 3Mil.

Norvell has a 1/2Mil buyout, easily the best of the bunch!

Will the buyouts be a deal killer? I could see the 9Mil stopping most any school, but 3 or 4Mil???

I think Campbell's is closer to 6.4 mill.  Brohm drops to around 4.9 mill.  Norvell may be less than 1 mill unless his contract extension from last year states otherwise.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 23, 2017, 09:32:39 pm
Vandy would smoke us this year and not break a sweat doing so. We have the talent right now to beat Auburn. Bielema has lost the locker room and thus has to go.

However, yeah, their overall records are quite comparable. Past 3 seasons, Gus has won a single more game than Bielema has and has done worse in the post-season.

If Malzahn was winning 8-9 games a year at Auburn, i'd be more prone to having him coach here. He's not. He's winning 7-8 games at Auburn which is why he's on the hot seat there. Same as Bielema was here even before the debacle this season.
so if malzahn isn't good enough for arkansas, who you got?  Norvell? he won 8 games in the AAC with someone elses players.  yeah that's an upgrade.

seriously.  who is a better candidate for the job? 

lakecityhog

I like Gus, always have. Thought he got a raw deal here and took the high road when he left. I think that winning at Auburn comes with its own set of issues and may not be quite as easy as many people think.
I am from North EAST Arkansas and have never spoken to the man so there is no Springdale bias.

Saying that I'm not so sure that I want him as coach, but I'm sure that I would take him over the guy the JL will probably come up with! I think he could win here and eventually get us to averaging 8 wins on a regular basis.

Name the guys that will be available that are better than him? I really believe that Tenner moves 1st and Florida will be very close behind them. Who will they go after? Brohm? Norvell? Fuentes? Frost?
Tenner and Florida might pony up 3 to 4 Mil extra to get their guy. So who does that leave? Another retread? Give me Gus all day every day over that!!!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 23, 2017, 08:50:34 pm

I still don't understand how Nutt got the job with such little experience in D1 and had a losing record in his only year in D1 league at Boise State (5-6)
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

swineology

We can't recruit like Allbarn

Pump the brakes, Gus isn't coming here.

Matt Burks

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 23, 2017, 09:48:56 pm
I still don't understand how Nutt got the job with such little experience in D1 and had a losing record in his only year in D1 league at Boise State (5-6)
I thought I heard that Frank wanted Tubberville but the BOT wanted Nutt. Is that correct?

TeedupHigh

All I want is a total new staff of young coach's and I don't care where they come from!  Coach's who can relate to today's athletes and don't care what state they pay in.  Got to have fire in the belly, not afraid to take a chance, BUT most of all I want a coach who understands that without special teams you start behind the eight ball!  I do not want a retread who has been fired, he was fired for a reason and 99.9 % of the time it was because he did not get the job done!  Get rid of all of them, don't bring someone home, start new

PorkSoda

Quote from: swineology on October 23, 2017, 09:50:07 pm
We can't recruit like Allbarn

Pump the brakes, Gus isn't coming here.
Gus didn't always coach at auburn.  he has been successful at every stop of his career.

next are you going to suggest we go after a coach with crappy recruiting rankings?

fail argument.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2017, 09:39:49 pm
so if malzahn isn't good enough for arkansas, who you got?  Norvell? he won 8 games in the AAC with someone elses players.  yeah that's an upgrade.

seriously.  who is a better candidate for the job?

I haven't looked into any of the coaches yet. I couldn't even tell you what school Norvell coaches at, or Cambell, or Brohm. I see those names listed a lot here, but haven't followed through with doing any research. Figure I'll wait until the season is over.

KennyForAD

I want a man who values and emphasizes attention to detail in all things. A man who demands every day that his players strive for perfection in everything they do. A guy who, if you run the wrong route, take the wrong angle, step the wrong way, he's going to (a) notice it and (b) immediately crawl your ass about it. Down 31-0 or up 31-0, do it right or have him in your face giving you pure hell. Lou Holtz was like that. Bobby Petrino was like that. I suspect strongly that Wilson Matthews was like that.

KENNY!

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2017, 09:54:58 pm
Gus didn't always coach at auburn.  he has been successful at every stop of his career.

next are you going to suggest we go after a coach with crappy recruiting rankings?

fail argument.

We shut him down though when Willy was our DC. For whatever reason, Willy had Gus's number.

rtr

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 23, 2017, 10:02:19 pm
We shut him down though when Willy was our DC. For whatever reason, Willy had Gus's number.
Say what you want about Willy but his defense could produce turnovers and make big plays.  Not the best or most talented linebacker we ever had but Jerry Franklin was and is one my all time favorite Razorbacks.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

bennyl08

Quote from: rtr on October 23, 2017, 10:06:32 pm
Say what you want about Willy but his defense could produce turnovers and make big plays.  Not the best or most talented linebacker we ever had but Jerry Franklin was and is one my all time favorite Razorbacks.

Same about Franklin.

Willy's defense's in the 2nd half were top notch. To this day, I'd have no hesitation at all about hiring him as a co-defensive coordinator so long as we had somebody who could do better in the first half.

Rayzback

YES DRILL SERGEANT!
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

WilsonHog

We might want to step back and look at this job as an outsider might.

If we do that, we may figure out that we are likely to get (a) an established coach who is looking to get out of a negative situation or (b) an unproven coach at this level.

KennyForAD

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 10:11:09 pm
We might want to step back and look at this job as an outsider might.

If we do that, we may figure out that we are likely to get (a) an established coach who is looking to get out of a negative situation or (b) an unproven coach at this level.

We won't get anyone with other options with Long still here.

johnny cash

Bret may be better than foghorns.

GoHogs1091

Here is the attention to detail in all things you stated in your first sentence.  The following has a Nick Sabanesque level of attention to detail.

Here is the start of a 2016 article from the Tulsa newspaper.  I posted the link to just the start of the article because in the picture of Venables you can see the intensity he has.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/brent-venables-attention-to-detail-secret-to-success-for-clemson/article_bdfd3efa-6827-5773-97b3-8c08fc986d9f.html

Here is the entire 2016 article.

http://www.postandcourier.com/archives/venables-attention-to-detail-secret-to-success-for-clemson-defense/article_7ef21d10-4230-528f-b4ca-78c8a5b67a94.html

johnny cash

Least he answers your ? Within oh let me guess 20 minutes.

James Jeffers

A young coach, energetic. A good recruiter also.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 23, 2017, 08:13:21 pm
I think on a bad year he could drop to 6 wins but I think his average would be 8 wins a year. We can always keep BB if you like losing. I am not from from NW Arkansas and I now live in Eastern Tn. I have no Love for Gus, I just think he is a winner.  I never posted all the time that BP was here, I think he is a winner.  I don't understand the mentality of some Hog fans. BP was not a person that you would want to have an adult beverage with but he could win at Arkansas. 

So, why does me not wanting gus and pointing out his mediocrity at auburn mean i like losing? Why does that mean i want to keep BB?

Ragnar Hogbrok

There are a few, but "realistically" is in the eye of the beholder. If everyone is willing to settle for mediocre gus, we'll be mediocre forever.

I want someone who has more than a hurry up gimmick offense. And someone who could win more than 8 games in one season the last three years at auburn.

Hoggie17

Quote from: The Chief on October 23, 2017, 10:51:43 pm
There are a few, but "realistically" is in the eye of the beholder. If everyone is willing to settle for mediocre gus, we'll be mediocre forever.

I want someone who has more than a hurry up gimmick offense. And someone who could win more than 8 games in one season the last three years at auburn.
Who do you have in mind? 

Tick Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2017, 04:49:30 pm
Petrino was known as an ass. Knew it before he ever came to Arkansas. I can't honestly say that ever crossed my mind when we were winning 21 games in two years. I once saw Lou Holtz verbally abuse his secondary coach in front of players because he wasn't performing up to Holtz's standard. I don't need a nice guy. I don't need a guy who everyone loves.

I need a coach who will hold himself, his coaches, and his players to the highest possible standard. If that single-minded focus makes him an ass to deal with, that's a small price to pay.

Because on the flip side of that, when I was walking back to my truck after watching us get our **** pushed in by Auburn Saturday night, what a great guy Bielema is never crossed my mind.
I believe you have nailed this. My Dad actually told me the same thing just the other day. He said we need an Ahole because that's the kind of coach that seems to do well here. He referenced the same coaches as you and mentioned that you never saw Holtz or Petrino being buddies with the players. They actually probably hated them, but they won.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 23, 2017, 11:14:15 pm
Who do you have in mind? 

I honestly don't know. I'm just hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a guy that works doggedly to win on offense and defense (not to mention special teams) and creates a program that begins to recruit itself.

I don't believe gus is that guy. If he was in the 10 win range each year at auburn, then, perhaps.

Being better than CBB is hardly a qualification.

HotlantaHog

I'll be happy for someone smarter than me to figure out who will work for Arkansas.

If I were Terry Don Phillips I would not have handed the keys to Dabo Swinney. Obviously, a gutsy hire that worked out. Saban's record wasn't all that great when he was hired at LSU. Obviously, now the coach of our time.

I wouldn't have bet on Malzahn when he became offensive coordinator -- it looked like a gimmick to bring along the Springdale 5 to Arkansas. He turned out to be the best offensive coordinator of that year and one of the bright offensive minds in college football.

In other words, I am not worried about winning the press conference. Spend some time and figure out who will work, even if it is not immediately obvious. Whoever it is will get three years of full support, maybe four or five because Arkansas is really slow to back away from a coach.

I wouldn't be upset if it's a lower-division coach, a junior college coach, a high school coach! (or recently high school.) Take a chance if you do a thorough search and feel certain the guy can get the job done.

CBB was a resume hire. Brilliant resume. Three Rose Bowls. Grew up on a hog farm. Won the press conference. Tired of doing that again. Get the best person and ignore what Hogville thinks.