Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paterno's wins reinstated

Started by Fatty McGee, January 16, 2015, 12:53:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

111 restored to the record books. 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12179571/joe-paterno-111-wins-were-vacated-restored

The original NCAA sanction was nonsense, and watching them walk it back before a court does only illustrates that.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

trashcan maN

I saw where the 60 Million dollar fine paid to the NCAA must be donated to non-profits that prevent sexual violence as part of the settlement.

My question is: What the %&$# was the NCAA going to do with that money before the settlement???

"Representatives of your university fostered an environment that allowed the sexual molestation of many children. Pay us 60 million dollars for our inconvenience."

younghog

GO HOGS

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: trashcan maN on January 16, 2015, 12:55:24 pm
I saw where the 60 Million dollar fine paid to the NCAA must be donated to non-profits that prevent sexual violence as part of the settlement.

My question is: What the %&$# was the NCAA going to do with that money before the settlement???

"Representatives of your university fostered an environment that allowed the sexual molestation of many children. Pay us 60 million dollars for our inconvenience."
They were going to make Benjamin Franklin milkshakes topped with bits of bronze from the Paterno statue taken off the PSU campus.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

WooPig90

forrest city joe

January 16, 2015, 01:03:26 pm #5 Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:03:11 pm by forrest city joe
Never should have been taken away in the first place. the NCAA had no business attacking PSU like they did. this was a matter for the law. Emmert the Saban Lap Dog was out of line. and he should resign or be fired.

Hoggish1

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 16, 2015, 01:03:26 pm
Never should have been taken away in the first place. the NCAA had no business attacking PSU like they kid. this was a matter for the law. Emmert the Saban Lap Dog was out of line. and he should resign or be fired.

NCAA is in way too much stuff they have no business in. 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 16, 2015, 01:09:37 pm

The whole idea of "vacated" or even "forfeited" victories is ridiculous. People paid for tickets to a game, saw the outcome, and went home. Years later, they find out that the winner did not win?

I realize that there is a need/desire to punish but, in my opinion, those vacated games do nothing for the opponent. Just take away scholarships; that hurts right now.

DeltaBoy

Good for the Court and Shame on the NCAA for taking them away in the first place.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Can you imagine the outcry if the ncaa had done nothing when all that came out? I am not saying the sanctions were right or wrong, too harsh or out of line, I am just saying, had the ncaa done nothing, they would have been crucified for that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigredone

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 16, 2015, 01:09:37 pm

And not into the actual cheating that they should be investigating.

BallHog1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 16, 2015, 01:30:16 pm
Can you imagine the outcry if the ncaa had done nothing when all that came out? I am not saying the sanctions were right or wrong, too harsh or out of line, I am just saying, had the ncaa done nothing, they would have been crucified for that.
This

Mick Hogger

I had no problem with them taking away the wins. Joe Paterno doesn't deserve any recognition. Screw him.

Are they going to give the kids their lives back?
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

EastexHawg

Can you imagine the outcry if the ncaa had done nothing when all that came out?

There would have been no outcry from me.  Hopefully there are still plenty of people left in America who understand the difference between a violation of NCAA rules and a state's investigation into criminal acts.

The NCAA clearly stepped outside its jurisdiction.  The probation was bad enough, but the fine was preposterous.

The_Bionic_Pig

They were attempting to makeup for consistently turning a blind eye on certain other programs (Ca$h Cows) with either a slap on the wrist or somehow finding nothing by making a example out of PSU.

"See were tough"
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

scorekeeper

Didn't Paterno know that he had a rapist on his staff and turn a blind eye to it?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 16, 2015, 01:55:54 pm
They were attempting to makeup for consistently turning a blind eye on certain other programs (Ca$h Cows) with either a slap on the wrist or somehow finding nothing by making a example out of PSU.

"See were tough"
BINGO. right on the money.

HogFanatic

The NCAA has been looking at the federal government for ideas on how to run a crooked system. Simple as that, really.

Everything is twisted, everything is perverted. Rules are only enforced when the repercussions of not doing so gives the Governing body a black eye, or the offender is going to take money that the governing body can't get a cut of. Other than that, it's a free for all as long as you are bringing in tax dollars.

EastexHawg

The NCAA caved to public opinion and ignorance.  People around the country were outraged by what Sandusky had done (and Petrino had failed to inform himself about or turn in, whichever the case may be) so they decided to dog pile on Penn State.

They "did something" despite the fact that they knew what they were doing was outside their jurisdiction.  The fact that they thought they were making $60 million on the deal didn't hurt, either. 

Hawghiggs

State Penn U should have gotten the death penalty. If they would have gotten the same ban as SMU did long ago. Then at least they would have actually gotten punished.

phoggy

Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

GuvHog

January 16, 2015, 02:23:36 pm #21 Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:22:20 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Mick Hogger on January 16, 2015, 01:35:45 pm
I had no problem with them taking away the wins. Joe Paterno doesn't deserve any recognition. Screw him.

Are they going to give the kids their lives back?

If Paterno hadn't fired Sandusky and banned him from using the school athletic facilities in 2002, I would agree with you. It was the AD who overruled Paterno and let Sandusky continue to use their Athletic facilities resulting in more cases of child abuse. The AD knew what Sandusky was doing since 2002...and did nothing.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WorfHog

Everyone involved should have been jailed and the football program shuttered.

hogcard1964

Quote from: scorekeeper on January 16, 2015, 02:02:25 pm
Didn't Paterno know that he had a rapist on his staff and turn a blind eye to it?

Yea

I guess it never happened now. 

Mick Hogger

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:23:36 pm
If Paterno hadn't fired Sandusky and banned him from using the school athletic facilities in 2002, I would agree with you. It was the AD who overruled Paterno and let Sandusky continue to use their Athletic facilities resulting in more cases of child abuse. The AD knew what Sandusky was doing since 2002...and did nothing.

Except for the fact that Sandusky resigned in 1999 and Paterno never tried to stop him from coming on campus and actually actively tried to coverup the scandal, you might have a point.

He knew Sandusky was showering with young boys. He had been told that Sandusky was molesting children in the shower and did his obligatory report to his leadership and never thought about it again. The whole damn administration covered it up.

Screw that cult fan base and I hope Paterno rots in hell. And for once, look up on a subject before you start spewing facts.
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

GuvHog

Quote from: Mick Hogger on January 16, 2015, 03:29:22 pm
Except for the fact that Sandusky resigned in 1999 and Paterno never tried to stop him from coming on campus and actually actively tried to coverup the scandal, you might have a point.

He knew Sandusky was showering with young boys. He had been told that Sandusky was molesting children in the shower and did his obligatory report to his leadership and never thought about it again. The whole damn administration covered it up.

Screw that cult fan base and I hope Paterno rots in hell. And for once, look up on a subject before you start spewing facts.

Source??? Link???

hogcard1964

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 16, 2015, 03:33:18 pm
Seriously?

That's old news.

Then there should be a link to it. That wasn't what I read. It is a fact that Paterno banned Sandusky from using the Penn Sate athletic facilities in 2002 but was overruled by the AD.

Mick Hogger

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 03:31:48 pm
Source??? Link???

Are you really this dense?  Sandusky retired when Paterno told him he wasn't going to be the next head coach at Penn State in 1999.

According to the Freeh report:

In addition, the report said that even after Sandusky's retirement in 1999 Paterno, Schultz, Spanier and Curley "empowered Sandusky to attract potential victims to the campus and football events by allowing him to have continued, unrestricted and unsupervised access to the University's facilities and affiliation with the University's prominent football program."[86]

That's from wiki and I can see it on several other reports from back then. My work browser is so locked down I can't get the link button to work on it but that's from wiki.

Can you show me where Paterno fired Sandusky in 2002 or told him he could no longer use the facilities?  No you can't.

Sivad

It won't remove the stain from Penn State and certainly not from that hippocrite Paterno.

Razorback_Mack

Paterno should've died in prison for not reporting the moleststion of innocent young boys to the authorities. As a mandated reporter I know that proper protocall is just that. If you don't report abuse you can be charged with a crime, fired, and sued.

I guess joe pa didn't know what I knew when I was just out of high school.

Idc about the vacated wins. It's probably the most meaningless part of this entire scandal. This shows you how stupid the ncaa is.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 02:23:36 pm
Paterno did nothing. You have to tell the cops. 20 year old undergrads know that.

The Divine Swine

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 16, 2015, 01:03:26 pm
Never should have been taken away in the first place. the NCAA had no business attacking PSU like they did. this was a matter for the law. Emmert the Saban Lap Dog was out of line. and he should resign or be fired.

sandusky was an integral part of the program at some point. He remained a figure there. The allegations started in the 90's at least. When it was not reported and possibly covered up because in Paterno's words, they did not want to get the program in trouble is exactly the NCAA's business. The whole reason it was not addressed and reported adequately or at all is because they wanted to protect their precious reputation/program. if not the ncaa then who will address the issue for a cover up to protect their winning ways??? I don't care one way or the other on the wins, but the ncaa did have a legit place in this. You folks that disagree imagine if it were your children.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Mick Hogger

Still waiting on Guv's link about Paterno attempting to ban Sandusky from campus in 2002...

board

Quote from: GuvHog on January 16, 2015, 03:31:48 pm
Source??? Link???

Damn right. Source, link for your BS guvner..........

Pork Twain

NCAA is a sham.  Never should have taken wins or money
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ugly Uncle

This man knownly allowed a child preditor rapist to abuse kids in the lockerroom and shower of his football team.  Covered up his crimes.  I'm sickened by the fact that any memory of this man still exist.  I promise you the ones who will never forget  him are the many boys that were raped and abused after J. Paterno knew about the monster and covered up his sins.

Go back and read some of the testimony of the victims then see if you think those wins should be restored.  How about you try to restore devasted lives...
Retired Radio Host

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 16, 2015, 07:35:55 pm
This man knownly allowed a child preditor rapist to abuse kids in the lockerroom and shower of his football team.  Covered up his crimes.  I'm sickened by the fact that any memory of this man still exist.  I promise you the ones who will never forget  him are the many boys that were raped and abused after J. Paterno knew about the monster and covered up his sins.

Go back and read some of the testimony of the victims then see if you think those wins should be restored.  How about you try to restore devasted lives...
Totally agree. Paterno is scum and doesn't deserve any legacy but being totally shunned and erased from the record books.

HOGINTENNESSEE

IMO mike mcqueary is more in the wrong than Paterno. McQueary saw it and didn't go to the Police.

Paterno recieve second hand in formation for McQueary. Could he have done more? Clearly. But McQueary should have gone straight to the police

EastexHawg

Quote from: The Divine Swine on January 16, 2015, 05:16:40 pm
sandusky was an integral part of the program at some point. He remained a figure there. The allegations started in the 90's at least. When it was not reported and possibly covered up because in Paterno's words, they did not want to get the program in trouble is exactly the NCAA's business. The whole reason it was not addressed and reported adequately or at all is because they wanted to protect their precious reputation/program. if not the ncaa then who will address the issue for a cover up to protect their winning ways??? I don't care one way or the other on the wins, but the ncaa did have a legit place in this. You folks that disagree imagine if it were your children.

No, the NCAA didn't have a legit place in this.  Their own internal emails prove they knew they didn't have jurisdiction and were just bluffing.  What happened at Penn State was a matter to be handled by the criminal justice system.  It wasn't a violation of NCAA rules and the NCAA isn't allowed to just make it up as they go along just because people are upset and want something done.  The NCAA knows this, knows their actions won't stand in court, and that is why they are backing down.

Sandusky is in prison for the rest of his life, everyone directly involved was fired and prosecuted, and Paterno is dead.  No one is getting away with anything.  We are a nation of rules and laws and the law is working.  A lynch mob that goes beyond the law may make people feel better, but it's not legal.

farmhawg

Quote from: Mick Hogger on January 16, 2015, 03:29:22 pm

guv has a habit of revising history when it involves old white bastards.....everyone knows this by now.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pork Twain

I am not saying they all should not be fried, but what they did was criminal.  Crime should be handled by the criminal courts, not the NCAA.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mick Hogger

Losing the wins doesn't actually punish anyone but the family and their cult following, but I'm ok with that. Joe was so worried about his record he overlooked any scandal that could tarnish it. He built up his cult of personality to where he thought he was untouchable by the administration. He basically tried to tell them they weren't going to fire him right now, he was going to quit at the end of the season

From his "retirement" statement:
"I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Joe Paterno, no matter what the record books say, you've got zero wins in my personal record book.

HotlantaHog

I think this overstates the case against Paterno. I believe the prosecutor said Paterno did absolutely nothing that could be prosecuted, nothing illegal. ``Covered up his crimes'' = obstruction of justice. What he did was bad enough, doesn't need exaggeration. But I am sure he did lots of great things as well. Needs to be some balance in how people view Joe.

DeltaBoy

Sad story and restoring the wins does nothing but aid his wife and family in promoting the JoePa cult.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

January 27, 2015, 06:46:31 pm #46 Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:36:02 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 27, 2015, 03:04:17 pm
Sad story and restoring the wins does nothing but aid his wife and family in promoting the JoePa cult.

Bingo..........I don't care if they go back and say he was undefeated every year.........they can't (and shouldn't even if they could) reinstate his reputation.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

clutch

If you're in charge and something of this magnitude happens in your watch, something that you've gotten wind of, and you do nothing, then you should face some sort of punishment. This is very serious stuff. To just turn a blind eye to any rumor at all you hear that this may be happening in your facility should be criminal. In my opinion the NCAA should have the right to punish in situations like this. He might not have broken a specific NCAA rule, but that's lack of institutional control if I've ever seen it.

I'm a high school coach. If something like this were to happen on my watch and I did absolutely nothing to investigate further and try to end the situation I'd most definitely lose my job and probably face charges. No excuse for this.

EastexHawg