Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Stoops

Started by jvanhorn, January 05, 2015, 08:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jvanhorn

Have heard from friends in Oklahoma that Mike Stoops is interviewing for the LSU DC job.  Most feel he will get offered the job but are unsure if he will take it.  No word on Coach Novell, but almost everyone was sorry to see him leave and spoke highly of him, especially as a recruiter.

jackflash

If they offer Stoops the job. I think he would stupid not to take it. LSU will always have defensive talent better than OU.

greenie

So what the heck is going on at OU?  Bob getting rid of everybody?  Even his brother? 

Dropkick

Big game Bob headed to NFL?

xxtomassxx1980

I live in Oklahoma. From what Ive been hearing is that Bob Stoops has told little brother that it might be better if he looks into another program. Long story short, he doesnt want to fire his brother, so he is nudging him out.

redeye

I'll be surprised if LSU offers him the job.  LSU fans are already critical of the possibility on their boards.

Tusks

I hope like heck he gets the job.  Better chance of a W next year in red stick if he's the DC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Fatty McGee

Quote from: redeye on January 05, 2015, 09:16:07 pm
I'll be surprised if LSU offers him the job.  LSU fans are already critical of the possibility on their boards.

I would like to think even at LSU they're smart enough not to listen to fans.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: tusked on January 05, 2015, 09:27:30 pm
I hope like heck he gets the job.  Better chance of a W next year in red stick if he's the DC.
No doubt. Big flop Bob push Venrables(sp?) out. So he went to Clemson and got revenge during the bowl game. Oklahoma defense has been on a slow slide since.

PigTimePlayer

I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I thought Coaching Search said that Stoops to LSU was NOT likely to happen
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

redeye

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 05, 2015, 09:40:51 pm

Or in this case, wise enough to listen to fans.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I just wonder if lsu isn't entering into a new phase as a program.  They have a ton of guys leave early every year.  Their defense doesn't seem to have that nasty, visceral edge they used to even just a couple years ago.  Maybe you've got a lot more guys looking out for ole #1 rather than looking up in the stands and playing for the fans. They can't get their QB situation figured out.  Les Miles is getting older, probably peaked professionally, and dare I say, more subdued?

Same thing's been happened at OU and UT.  Not that OU has really fallen and been truly bad (and maybe the same for UT-all though they're really soft right now).  Not that lsu is really bad... but... do they scare you? 

They say everything goes in cycles...

COCHISE

After watching OU's defense against Clemson, they might want to.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: redeye on January 05, 2015, 10:02:30 pm
Or in this case, wise enough to listen to fans.

No dumb enough. The fans know nothing.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: COCHISE on January 05, 2015, 10:54:35 pm
After watching OU's defense against Clemson, they might want to.

One game out of a multi-decade career defines him?

Didn't Clemson get blown out last year and it was venables that the fans thought was a dummy?

Inhogswetrust

Depends on whether it's a night game and they are drunk or not.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

COCHISE

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 05, 2015, 11:10:59 pm
One game out of a multi-decade career defines him?

Didn't Clemson get blown out last year and it was venables that the fans thought was a dummy?
Not just one game. He returned an experienced, talented defense that ended the season ranked 52nd in the nation in total defense, 56th in scoring defense, and 55th in pass efficiency defense. Not bashing the guy because I believe he is a decent coach, but having LSU fans express skepticism over the hire isn't without merit.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: jackflash on January 05, 2015, 09:02:31 pm
If they offer Stoops the job. I think he would stupid not to take it. LSU will always have defensive talent better than OU.

I agree.....plus it would save Bob the tough job of firing his ass for the chitty
job he's done since  slinking back from Arizona. He was a CO-DC before
he got that job, and it became VERY clear who the better coach was between him
and Venables, when they played Clemson, and damn near got shut out. I say
hire him Les! Always great scoring lots of points against LSU!

Smokehouse

If Mike had full control of calling the defense this season then LSU should want no part of him. Unless they like the secondary consistently lining up 10 yards back from the receivers and letting the other team march straight down the field.

None of the analysts and reporters here in OKC had any idea what Mike was hoping to accomplish with his scheme.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

hog.goblin

OU needs change and I think it's coming.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Smokehouse on January 06, 2015, 12:22:52 am
If Mike had full control of calling the defense this season then LSU should want no part of him. Unless they like the secondary consistently lining up 10 yards back from the receivers and letting the other team march straight down the field.

None of the analysts and reporters here in OKC had any idea what Mike was hoping to accomplish with his scheme.

Wonder how they beat bama with that scheme?

bigstyx

Would be a good move for Mike. Bob was able to parlay success as a SEC DC into a very lucrative situation at OU. Part of it was OU locking him up before Iowa could pull the trigger. If Mike has a couple of good years at LSU, which of course I hope he doesn't, he would be back in the running for a decent HC job. Bob's tenure at OU is probably coming to a close soon and Mike needs to find the best situation he can. I'm sure Bob has been more than candid with Mike and a move to LSU saves face for both of them.

porkinsons disease

Looks like Heupel just got the axe too.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

DeltaBoy

Bob lost his edge and he is putting his boys in life boats.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thefisher

It was just a rumor mind you. However, I heard that Mike Stoops really likes corn dogs and thus the desire to be at LSU.

One of the Stoop boys and corn dogs are a match made in heaven. At least that was the rumor.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 06, 2015, 09:21:21 am
Looks like Heupel just got the axe too.
Yep, I have to say I'm somewhat surprised at this. Didn't think for the most part the offense was all that bad in most games. Plus I thought with Josh having played for "big game" they're be a little more slack shown. However, I suppose when the "natives get restless" and the dogs start baying the HC has to start looking for someone's head to chop. Likely not the last casualty for sure.

WooPig90

If this happens, maybe theres a chance Haughton decommits?  ;D

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 05, 2015, 09:42:25 pm
No doubt. Big flop Bob push Venrables(sp?) out. So he went to Clemson and got revenge during the bowl game. Oklahoma defense has been on a slow slide since.

Bob didn't push Venables out.  Bob wanted Venables to stay, and even after the offer from Clemson, Venables told Bob that he was staying.  Venables later changed his mind and decided to leave.  The $400,000 raise in the offer at Clemson and being able to continue being a sole main DC was just too much for Venables to turn down.

Bob knows how good is Venables.  When Bob was hired at OU, he could have chosen a lot of Defensive Coaches to join him at OU (because of Bob's reputation by him having just won a NC as a DC), but Bob specifically chose Venables.

I wouldn't be surprised if Venables either becomes the next OU Head Coach, or if Kirby Smart eventually leaves Alabama and Saban hires Venables to be his next DC and Venables becomes the next Alabama Head Coach after working with Saban.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 06, 2015, 02:20:08 pm
Bob didn't push Venables out.  Bob wanted Venables to stay, and even after the offer from Clemson, Venables told Bob that he was staying.  Venables later changed his mind and decided to leave.  The $400,000 raise in the offer at Clemson and being able to continue being a sole main DC was just too much for Venables to turn down.

Bob knows how good is Venables.  When Bob was hired at OU, he could have chosen a lot of Defensive Coaches to join him at OU (because of Bob's reputation by him having just won a NC as a DC), but Bob specifically chose Venables.

I wouldn't be surprised if Venables either becomes the next OU Head Coach, or if Kirby Smart eventually leaves Alabama and Saban hires Venables to be his next DC and Venables becomes the next Alabama Head Coach after working with Saban.

You better listen Charlie Babbit.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on January 05, 2015, 11:36:07 pm
I agree.....plus it would save Bob the tough job of firing his ass for the chitty
job he's done since  slinking back from Arizona. He was a CO-DC before
he got that job, and it became VERY clear who the better coach was between him
and Venables, when they played Clemson, and damn near got shut out. I say
hire him Les! Always great scoring lots of points against LSU!

You are correct regarding it bring very clear who is the better Coach between Venables and Mike Stoops.

With Venables as their DC, Clemson has the following Bowl Wins.

LSU  (Top 10 ranked LSU).
Ohio State  (basically the same Ohio State team that just won against Alabama, and Ohio State had Braxton Miller when Clemson defeated them).
Oklahoma

Clemson has also defeated a Top 10 ranked Georgia since hiring Venables (which makes 2 wins against a Top 10 ranked SEC team).

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 06, 2015, 04:55:52 pm
You are correct regarding it bring very clear who is the better Coach between Venables and Mike Stoops.

With Venables as their DC, Clemson has the following Bowl Wins.

LSU  (Top 10 ranked LSU).
Ohio State  (basically the same Ohio State team that just won against Alabama, and Ohio State had Braxton Miller when Clemson defeated them).
Oklahoma

Clemson has also defeated a Top 10 ranked Georgia since hiring Venables (which makes 2 wins against a Top 10 ranked SEC team).
But, but.......OU plays in that murderous Big 12 don't ya' know? :puke: :puke:

Hogarusa

Surprised OU are making these moves instead of just regrouping for next season.  I guess that's what happens when you average 11 wins over 14 years.  8 win seasons are not welcome in Norman.  Quite the odd year after beating Bama in the Sugar Bowl.  Fans better be careful what they wish for or they will be back to the program they were in the 90s
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 07, 2015, 09:50:56 am
Surprised OU are making these moves instead of just regrouping for next season.  I guess that's what happens when you average 11 wins over 14 years.  8 win seasons are not welcome in Norman.  Quite the odd year after beating Bama in the Sugar Bowl.  Fans better be careful what they wish for or they will be back to the program they were in the 90s
Yep, but I still believe that to a great degree WAY TOO MUCH stock was put into that Sugar Bowl win against 'Bama. While it may have momentarily helped the prestige of the school (and conference) we were all shown it meant diddly when applied to the field this past season. Perhaps kinda like trying to draw firm conclusions on a team and/or league based on the previous year's bowl record(s)?

LRrazorback

If Mike Stoops is indeed out at OU, how bout mike stoops new LB coach at AR

texas tush hog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 06, 2015, 07:35:42 am
Wonder how they beat bama with that scheme?

Alabama was much like us in the 1970 Sugar Bowl. Just lost the Game of the Century and most likely the National Championship in the fourth quarter of a game we had dominated, for the most part. Texas won on a fluke play, much as Auburn did against Bama. Nobody wanted to be there, but we took the opening kickoff and ran through Ole Miss defense like a knife through butter, but after a couple of fluke plays, Bill McClard, our all-American place kicker misses a chip shot field goal, and we spent most of the rest of the first half chasing Archie Who(Manning) all over the field, and gave up 24 straight points before we woke up at halftime. All things being equal Bama beats Zero-U by twenty points, but they came into the game unprepared, and went around in a trance. Made the Sooners into something they were never intended to be. I can relate. The real Zeros came out this year.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: thefisher on January 06, 2015, 11:11:43 am
It was just a rumor mind you. However, I heard that Mike Stoops really likes corn dogs and thus the desire to be at LSU.

One of the Stoop boys and corn dogs are a match made in heaven. At least that was the rumor.

Well I love Corn Dogs but I HATE LSU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

redeye

January 08, 2015, 03:39:03 pm #36 Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:21:27 pm by redeye
From coachingsearch.com today.

QuoteOklahoma: Per source, Oklahoma is targeting Louisville assistant head coach Garrick McGee. McGee, who is in his first season as offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach at Louisville, will interview with Sooners head coach Bob Stoops. The Cardinals finished 9-4 this season, while playing three different quarterbacks. McGee is a former Oklahoma quarterback.

update: ESPN's Joe Schad has since reported that McGee will stay at Louisville and receive a raise.  Not sure I believe Oklahoma was really ever interested.