Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Friday and Coach Saban

Started by PlanoHog, February 03, 2018, 09:25:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanoHog

I post this not to promote the man but to point out what the Hogs and CCM face when recruiting top talent. I hope most Hogs fans' ultimate goal is not second or third place in the division but rather to compete or unseat Bamas reign. He won't be at the helm forever, but long enough to continue to give Hogs fans frustration and then you know someone of equal potential will follow like a Sweeney etc.

I got to see Coach Saban in action yesterday at 2 schools. He was making the rounds recruiting those kids already offered and encouraging them to take an OV in the sprIng and fall. In addition, he was talking to the head coaches, about additional kids that they may target in '19, '20 and '21. Finally, he made an offer to a really fine young man in the 2019 class as well.

He was very personable, patient with all that approached him and took more photos with faculties, staff and general audiences than Santa. He was focused and working hard. Anytime Saban himself recruits on the road, it's a hard thing to say no to him.

Many college coaches that stop by, most folks wouldn't know them without their school logos or name on the jacket or shirt. Hogs have a real advantage for a short window, 2-3 years with CCM, to leverage his influence in he dfw area, over most other out of state programs. From my conversations with several high head coaches, he is well respected. It's not just lip service since he was the local SMU HC.

Getting to see Lincoln Riley last week, he seems to be more of a younger version of CCM. With Riley's personality, demeanor and offensive mindset, in my opinion, he could be our biggest competition for kids targeted. OU has a one year head start on UA with LR at the helm, but the level of expectation at OU for him is so great, right out of the gate and comparisons to Stoops, the boo birds will come out and heat turned up if he stumbles at all. Example was fans reaction to Iowa State.

From what I have been told our new AD is all in for getting this football program back to where most believe it needs to be. He's a huge asset in south Texas that's going to help CCM there as well. And won't leave CCM out to dry like the SMU AD or school president. That was a big reason on him coming here. Lots of backpage stuff that I have intimate knowledge about. Lie to me once, shame on you, lie to me twice, shame on me...I'm out of here.

Very encouraged by CCM hard work, the staff and feedback from high school coaches. I don't believe CCM will be out worked by any other HC on recruiting or game day preparation. I've seen it while at SMU where I spend a good amount of my time. But the window is shorter versus a HC that has the skins on the wall from a major school or the big name when getting these kids attention to come to Fayetteville, which is my hometown.

The entertainer formerly known as TheOtherWhiteMeat.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PlanoHog on February 03, 2018, 09:25:38 am
I post this not to promote the man but to point out what the Hogs and CCM face when recruiting top talent. I hope most Hogs fans' ultimate goal is not second or third place in the division but rather to compete or unseat Bamas reign. He won't be at the helm forever, but long enough to continue to give Hogs fans frustration and then you know someone of equal potential will follow like a Sweeney etc.

I got to see Coach Saban in action yesterday at 2 schools. He was making the rounds recruiting those kids already offered and encouraging them to take an OV in the sprIng and fall. In addition, he was talking to the head coaches, about additional kids that they may target in '19, '20 and '21. Finally, he made an offer to a really fine young man in the 2019 class as well.

He was very personable, patient with all that approached him and took more photos with faculties, staff and general audiences than Santa. He was focused and working hard. Anytime Saban himself recruits on the road, it's a hard thing to say no to him.

Many college coaches that stop by, most folks wouldn't know them without their school logos or name on the jacket or shirt. Hogs have a real advantage for a short window, 2-3 years with CCM, to leverage his influence in he dfw area, over most other out of state programs. From my conversations with several high head coaches, he is well respected. It's not just lip service since he was the local SMU HC.

Getting to see Lincoln Riley last week, he seems to be more of a younger version of CCM. With Riley's personality, demeanor and offensive mindset, in my opinion, he could be our biggest competition for kids targeted. OU has a one year head start on UA with LR at the helm, but the level of expectation at OU for him is so great, right out of the gate and comparisons to Stoops, the boo birds will come out and heat turned up if he stumbles at all. Example was fans reaction to Iowa State.

From what I have been told our new AD is all in for getting this football program back to where most believe it needs to be. He's a huge asset in south Texas that's going to help CCM there as well. And won't leave CCM out to dry like the SMU AD or school president. That was a big reason on him coming here. Lots of backpage stuff that I have intimate knowledge about. Lie to me once, shame on you, lie to me twice, shame on me...I'm out of here.

Very encouraged by CCM hard work, the staff and feedback from high school coaches. I don't believe CCM will be out worked by any other HC on recruiting or game day preparation. I've seen it while at SMU where I spend a good amount of my time. But the window is shorter versus a HC that has the skins on the wall from a major school or the big name when getting these kids attention to come to Fayetteville, which is my hometown.
I appreciate your comments and observations concerning both Saban and Riley. However, there is one observation I find somewhat puzzling and IMO not necessarily accurate. While it's true that both men are obviously both great coaches (at least we know that NS is over a long stretch; for Riley he still has to prove it over the long run), this short "window" you say CMM has may not be as short as you fear. Yes, both coaches will undoubtedly continue going after top Texas talent, as will other major D1 programs, the relationships that Chad has built over the years with high school coaches in the Lone Star State are NOT going away. Unless he either screws up the professional (and sometimes personal) relationships he has with them or he just slacks off his efforts there I can't see that really being damaged no matter what other schools come into the state. While his efforts may continue to go unrewarded as times, much will also depend on how CMM treats his kids and how successful they prove to be on the field. IF CMM can get the Hogs to become relevant once again then obviously recruiting will very likely become more successful. In the end it's a combination of relationships/effort from the staff AND the ability to develop the talent they land that will go a long way in determining how well CMM can do. Remember one truism: Winning cures a ton of ills. That goes in the world of recruiting as well.

Ā 

Redhogs

informative...thank you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

East TN HAWG

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

*** Not a real Hog fan if you didn't scalp Saban ***

;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Smashmouth2004

I totally agree with your observations and especially his frustrations at SMU because it confirms what I heard as well. Our immediate goal is not to beat Bama, but beating A&M, MSU, Mizzou and LSU. With that comes getting better recruits but like you said there is a small window to demonstrate to recruits the program is moving in the right direction.

PlanoHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 03, 2018, 10:44:04 am
I appreciate your comments and observations concerning both Saban and Riley. However, there is one observation I find somewhat puzzling and IMO not necessarily accurate. While it's true that both men are obviously both great coaches (at least we know that NS is over a long stretch; for Riley he still has to prove it over the long run), this short "window" you say CMM has may not be as short as you fear. Yes, both coaches will undoubtedly continue going after top Texas talent, as will other major D1 programs, the relationships that Chad has built over the years with high school coaches in the Lone Star State are NOT going away. Unless he either screws up the professional (and sometimes personal) relationships he has with them or he just slacks off his efforts there I can't see that really being damaged no matter what other schools come into the state. While his efforts may continue to go unrewarded as times, much will also depend on how CMM treats his kids and how successful they prove to be on the field. IF CMM can get the Hogs to become relevant once again then obviously recruiting will very likely become more successful. In the end it's a combination of relationships/effort from the staff AND the ability to develop the talent they land that will go a long way in determining how well CMM can do. Remember one truism: Winning cures a ton of ills. That goes in the world of recruiting as well.

Vantage, I agree with the relationships with the coaches having a longer fuse. I was referring more to the kids who live in a world of tweets and Snapchat. Most of the kids have the attention span of a gnat, including my junior and senior who are getting recruited. They are a lot more bandwagoners and latching on to the hottest or flashiest trend, school or program than the prior generations. So, you've got to show progress and a vision pretty quickly with them. Also, every year, there's new HC moving around and into our recruiting territory with the same excitement for a new day and opportunity.

Even though he was run out of town in A&M, Sumlin is starting to make inroads at Arizona So now you have a school that was irrelevant for the most part in Texas now with those same relationships with HS coaches albeit strained in some cases. They will become a pain in the recruiting trail. I believe with some weaker opponents Sumlin will elevate that program where kids will be excited for the offer. It's an attractive campus and known for its "party" atmosphere. Although a tad warm. I'll be visiting there with my daughter for soccer recruiting. She hates cold weather.

And we can't forget Oregeron who I've encountered already making his presence very apparent in north Texas. So Riley has to prove himself as well but kids love his youth, energy and good offensive mind. But the great think is the pool is large, dfw will have another 1mm people in the next few years with many of these kids moving in not having the roots or legacy to TAM, UT, OU etc.

PlanoHog

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on February 03, 2018, 11:16:42 am
I totally agree with your observations and especially his frustrations at SMU because it confirms what I heard as well. Our immediate goal is not to beat Bama, but beating A&M, MSU, Mizzou and LSU. With that comes getting better recruits but like you said there is a small window to demonstrate to recruits the program is moving in the right direction.

Exactly, what's the old saying "you eat an elephant one bite at a time"

racinghog

Let me add to this. I watched Saban recruit one of our kids several years ago. He was professional with everybody he met on campus and yes he took many pics. And he kept in touch with a thank you note if you will after the visit and when he knew he wasn't getting the athlete (he went to FSU and won a NC, and yes he started and plays in the league).

But I need to caution a few on here that think a HS coach may have some sway over their players. We don't and do not want any. The only thing we can do is allow the coach on campus and facilitate a meeting. I sit down with our players and parents and give them a check list or a rating list of things for each visit they make and ask them to fill this out on Sunday after they leave. Now this is not to say that I am asked many questions about schools and coaches. I try to stay as neutral as I can.

Flrazrback

Nice post, I'm excited to see the energy and hard work out new staff has for recruiting. Success in recruiting translates to winning football games and winning records boost recruiting. WPS

redeye

I enjoyed reading this Plano.  Thanks for sharing!