Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ranked dead last in the SEC

Started by JayHog, February 06, 2018, 11:13:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JayHog

Last in the SEC in recruiting. And our top rated prospect might never see the field (Connor Noland).
I know, there's a coaching change. Only problem with that is there were several coaching changes.  And guess what? They are all still ranked higher than us.
Am I the only one concerned?

hawkhawg

menace_hawg3

jgphillips3

Are you also forgetting how few slots we had available?  Also, our coaches were at a lower tier school and thus weren't in on a lot of the type of guys we need.  Low numbers of available scholarships coupled with short time periods ain't going to generate miracles in year one.  Get back to me next year and, if we are still hind teat, I'll listen.

WoooPigSooieShane

The ranks are gonna be mentioned in every thread in this forum, huh?

https://twitter.com/TreyBiddy/status/943864860244312065

Trey Biddy‏Verified account
@TreyBiddy
Following Following @TreyBiddy
More
Arkansas' recruiting class is ranked 81st nationally b/c they're getting charged with 10 zeros (a zero for every non-committed player under 20). If they had 10 more commits mirroring the 10 they have, they'd be tied for 20th nationally right now. Just explaining the formula #wps

9:24 AM - 21 Dec 2017

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JayHog on February 06, 2018, 11:13:52 pm
Last in the SEC in recruiting. And our top rated prospect might never see the field (Connor Noland).
I know, there's a coaching change. Only problem with that is there were several coaching changes.  And guess what? They are all still ranked higher than us.
ranked ahead of a few teams, quit trollin. just look at the average star rankings like anybody with half a brain.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Flrazrback

Agreed, not concerned with this. Small class to sign and we got quality players that fit our goals.

sickboy

Fire Morris.

pignatious

So tired of spin. Last is last. Not a good start for this staff and not what fans should expect at Arkansas. Better be able to coach em up a whole lot.
Freedom is never free.

HogFoo

Quote from: pignatious on February 07, 2018, 12:40:33 am
So tired of spin. Last is last. Not a good start for this staff and not what fans should expect at Arkansas. Better be able to coach em up a whole lot.
spin?  Im tired of the debbie downers who obviously dont know how recruiting rankings work, but yet want to spin it that we are terrible.  Learn how the rankings work already!!  Geez! The small class is killing us! How many times do you guys that are negative have to be told this???? Figure it out! Its like trey biddy had said,  if we just had a regular class with avg type star recruits we currently have, wed be ranked 20th! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

italian9005

those who keep on stars dont mattter. rankings dont matter. well they must because most teams who recruit really well are in the top tier of college football. Arkansas always recruits near the bottom of the sec in football and look where we end up year after year in the sec. near the bottom. we have to recruit more top tier talent if we are ever going to be a consistent top team.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: italian9005 on February 07, 2018, 01:09:13 am
those who keep on stars dont mattter. rankings dont matter. well they must because most teams who recruit really well are in the top tier of college football. Arkansas always recruits near the bottom of the sec in football and look where we end up year after year in the sec. near the bottom. we have to recruit more top tier talent if we are ever going to be a consistent top team.
Or maybe those who are in the top tier of college football are able to recruit really well....?
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

King Kong

There is spin and their is truth. Small class = worse ranking. However in the new few years it could come around the other way and we have a big class which will give us a higher ranking than probably we should have.

rtr

Because of the numbers, you can forget the recruiting rankings.  We should not get to hung up on internet recruiting.  As Tom Luginbill said fans won't like this but it is important to get the right guy rather than the highest rated guy.  Ask Charlie Strong.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

GA reddiehog

Not concerned about the rankings, but I am concerned about the players we have lost out on down the stretch.  It looks like years past no matter who the coach is.  Hogs have problems getting the players they want and need.  Spin it any way you want but it is fact.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Poker_hog

Perfect storm for bad recruiting rankings:

Most of the recruiting was done by a coach on the hot seat
Lower number of scholarships available
The early signing period
And let's be honest, mediocre recruiting by the new staff

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HardCore

A little concerned, but Morris was kinda put behind the 8-Ball with the new early signing period.  Most of the players were already committed by the time he came on board this year. 

Now, if we end up in the same boat next year......then start getting concerned.  Especially, when one of the primary selling points to his hire was his ability to recruit.....specifically, Texas recruiting.  This year is understandable.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

menace_hawg3

Steef

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 06:12:37 am
Perfect storm for bad recruiting rankings:

Most of the recruiting was done by a coach on the hot seat
Lower number of scholarships available
The early signing period
And let's be honest, mediocre recruiting by the new staff

Dunno about the last one but the rest is spot on.

Add....

We finished dead last in November.

GA reddiehog

Just read where Otis wrote Hogs will only pickup Foucha and lose Parker.  The other six are expected to sign.  Wonder what happened to Brule? Was it a lack of available schoolies?  Should have known something was up with all the PWO offers in the past few days.

Kevin

why can't some of you not get this.

the early signing period hurt programs that changed coaches. Plus, with Arkansas doing a total 180 turn in style, from what cbb did, meant morris lost some guys, and tried to go get new recruits.

in the years previous, morris would have had December to now to recruit. with the early signing period the pool of players shrank, also because of cbb this was going to be a small class, which would mean a low ranking.

good grief
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

twistitup

too early

this is not a recruiting class to judge by....next year will tell the tale.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: twistitup on February 07, 2018, 06:54:48 am
too early

this is not a recruiting class to judge by....next year will tell the tale.

This. Good lord all these people freaking out about rankings. Even with a brand new coach, if we could sign our usual 22ish people we would be ranked our usual #27th give or take.

It is all about coaching, just wait and see how CCM does.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

AugustaHog

Yeah and none of them were signing 16-18 kids.  That has a major impact on a ranking.  Look at the quality of the players in the class and not some artificial ranking put forth by those services.  On an avg. star basis, we are not nearly as poorly ranked as their formula would suggest.  We were never going to sign 20 kids.  Even if we had a banner year recruiting, it would still take a hit because of the small number of recruits. 

GA reddiehog

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 07, 2018, 07:36:49 am
Yeah and none of them were signing 16-18 kids.  That has a major impact on a ranking.  Look at the quality of the players in the class and not some artificial ranking put forth by those services.  On an avg. star basis, we are not nearly as poorly ranked as their formula would suggest.  We were never going to sign 20 kids.  Even if we had a banner year recruiting, it would still take a hit because of the small number of recruits.
AugustaHog are you Augusta, GA?

Poker_hog

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on February 07, 2018, 07:15:57 am
This. Good lord all these people freaking out about rankings. Even with a brand new coach, if we could sign our usual 22ish people we would be ranked our usual #27th give or take.

It is all about coaching, just wait and see how CCM does.

No to the first part.  If you look at 247 rankings by average recruit score we would be 40th and 12th in the conference.  No need to sugar coat it.  It is what it is.

Totally agree on the second part.  Next year will tell us if ccm can land elite talent or if he can win without it. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

AugustaHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on February 07, 2018, 07:51:59 am
AugustaHog are you Augusta, GA?
Formerly, been gone from there for about 5 1/2 yrs.

dayofthehawg1

Hogville used to be a place one looked forward to reading.  No wonder this site has gone to crap.

Redhogs

Quote from: dayofthehawg1 on February 07, 2018, 08:01:10 am
Hogville used to be a place one looked forward to reading.  No wonder this site has gone to crap.
That's the result of 6 straight years of losing...it takes it's toll.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 07, 2018, 07:56:34 am
No to the first part.  If you look at 247 rankings by average recruit score we would be 40th and 12th in the conference.  No need to sugar coat it.  It is what it is.

Totally agree on the second part.  Next year will tell us if ccm can land elite talent or if he can win without it. 
This is my feeling as well.  We didn't do well this year.  I believe CCM worked as hard as he could, but simply did not have the relationships with the type of athlete we need to compete.  When CBB was hired, he (or staff) was already recruiting Collins, Kirkland, Skipper, etc. Its a different scenario. 

Next year, he has a year to develop relationships and a easy schedule (for SEC west standards).  We should improve on the win total by schedule alone.  He will have a good sales pitch.  Next year's class is loaded with high star guys with AR ties.  Year 2 should show us what to expect from CMM in the future.   

Dwight_K_Shrute

The early period is going to hurt teams trying to rebuild unless you are a national brand team or hire a name/big splash coach.

It was something that did not need to be fixed.  Instead of having one big signing day that was an event unto itself, they split it into two disparate events neither as feeling quite as grand, important, or fun as the original.

The new staff is at least trying and working their a$$es off to do what they can and salvage the mess left behind by Blutarski. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 07, 2018, 08:11:19 am
The early period is going to hurt teams trying to rebuild unless you are a national brand team or hire a name/big splash coach.

It was something that did not need to be fixed.  Instead of having one big signing day that was an event unto itself, they split it into two disparate events neither as feeling quite as grand, important, or fun as the original.

The new staff is at least trying and working their a$$es off to do what they can and salvage the mess left behind by Blutarski. 

Not sure I completely agree with this.  It will definitely hurt teams with HC turnover much more. We lost players, MS St, Tenn just about everyone lost players.  I think we could actually benefit next year when teams like LSU and Mizzou turnover their HC. 

Steef

Quote from: dayofthehawg1 on February 07, 2018, 08:01:10 am

That's not....
1. True
2. Fair

There are sites out there MUCH worse than this one. And the Net is routinely bringing out the worst in people....everywhere.

The choices are....
1. Leave the Net.
2. Stay and be an example of how it SHOULD be.

jkstock04

Quote from: HardCore on February 07, 2018, 06:24:01 am
A little concerned, but Morris was kinda put behind the 8-Ball with the new early signing period.  Most of the players were already committed by the time he came on board this year. 

Now, if we end up in the same boat next year......then start getting concerned.  Especially, when one of the primary selling points to his hire was his ability to recruit.....specifically, Texas recruiting.  This year is understandable.
Agree with this. I'm probably the last guy on this board that will tout the "next year" homer narrative, but tough to blame Morris for much on this kind of short notice.

The #s thing is probably a legit excuse but I'm pretty sure I've seen Bama with a limited class/scholarships available and they still managed a top 5 or 10 class...so I know it's not an impossibility like some are making it out to be.

If we are 14/14 (dead last) in conference recruiting this time next year I'll jump on the hater wagon. Til then we are basically stuck in wait and see more to see if the "genius" of Bielemas recruiting where all the 2/3 stars turn into 4/5 stars by the time they are upperclassmen because they have been in the system so long under such awesome tutelage is true or not.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Vantage 8 dude

Read less, post even less frequently. ::)

sickboy

Quote from: Steef on February 07, 2018, 08:43:33 am
That's not....
1. True
2. Fair

There are sites out there MUCH worse than this one. And the Net is routinely bringing out the worst in people....everywhere.

The choices are....
1. Leave the Net.
2. Stay and be an example of how it SHOULD be.

I think the issue is anonymous posting. If you're posting with the knowledge that your online words can have ramifications in your offline life, we'd all be more responsible before hitting "post". Also, you can't really get punched in the nose online. In real life, there are just so many social checks and balances. Lol.

Inhogswetrust

Oh good grief. Let's wait until four to five years from now before declaring the Hare the winner of the race.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr. Starcs

Seems like we kept it in the right lane getting passed by all the cool kids and tailgated by the blue hairs. Hammer down and smile! 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 07, 2018, 12:53:41 pm
Seems like we kept it in the right lane getting passed by all the cool kids and tailgated by the blue hairs. Hammer down and smile! 

Are you gonna start this crap again?  Morris is the coach. He hasnt even coached one damn game here. Why make yourself so miserable and then try to drag everybody else down with you?  Morris wasn't my choice either but its who we got. I'll support him until he shows he can't get the job done. Otherwise it's just no fun even being a fan.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 08, 2018, 07:06:30 am
Are you gonna start this crap again?  Morris is the coach. He hasnt even coached one damn game here. Why make yourself so miserable and then try to drag everybody else down with you?  Morris wasn't my choice either but its who we got. I'll support him until he shows he can't get the job done. Otherwise it's just no fun even being a fan.

So we're not allowed to question his recruiting?  Good grief. That's all we have to judge him by at this point. 5 other new coaches in the conference did better than we did. The majority of them much better. This is the trash thread.

Deep Shoat

What the heck is wrong with you people?  Is context too difficult?  Or are you genuinely this stupid?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 08, 2018, 07:35:09 am
So we're not allowed to question his recruiting?  Good grief. That's all we have to judge him by at this point. 5 other new coaches in the conference did better than we did. The majority of them much better. This is the trash thread.

I understand that math is hard, but when you only have 15 or so scholarships to give due to lack of attrition (can only have 85 on scholarship, but you know this), the recruiting rankings count each potential scholarship of 25 not given under 20 as a 0. We signed 16.  That means we have four zeros factored in to the ranking.  So, you factor in the zeros, carry the one, add the thing, and we're ranked lower numerically.  Yay math!

If you want to criticize and say the recruits aren't up to muster, that's one thing.  But I'd suggest that, perhaps, only having 60 some-odd days to recruit after the early signing period might have something to do with it.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: The Chief on February 08, 2018, 10:27:31 am
I understand that math is hard, but when you only have 15 or so scholarships to give due to lack of attrition (can only have 85 on scholarship, but you know this), the recruiting rankings count each potential scholarship of 25 not given under 20 as a 0. We signed 16.  That means we have four zeros factored in to the ranking.  So, you factor in the zeros, carry the one, add the thing, and we're ranked lower numerically.  Yay math!

If you want to criticize and say the recruits aren't up to muster, that's one thing.  But I'd suggest that, perhaps, only having 60 some-odd days to recruit after the early signing period might have something to do with it.

I get all that. My point is the other new sec coaches did much better in pretty much the same time frame with the caliber recruits they brought in.
Didn't know we couldn't question that here.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 08, 2018, 12:38:10 pm
I get all that. My point is the other new sec coaches did much better in pretty much the same time frame with the caliber recruits they brought in.
Didn't know we couldn't question that here.

Question all you want. Some answers are who the outgoing coaches were, the schools with better recent results, and the amount of time available to recruit.

I'm not championing anything. I'm waiting and seeing for two years.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 08, 2018, 07:35:09 am

I'm not saying what you can or can't do. I just hate to see a fellow hogfan be miserable. That just seems to be whats going on with you. I was just suggesting you try and get past your anger and bitterness towards this coaching hire so you can try to enjoy being a fan again.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Steef

"Ranked dead last in the SEC" is a misleading phrase. It implies that all other factors are equal. They are not.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

We had the least number of recruits. That directly impacts "dead last".

Our average  ranking per recruit is NOT "dead last". And in truth,  only six teams had an appreciably better ratio of 4 stars to 3 stars than we did.

Only three teams got any 5 stars at all (Georgia's class is obscene...and they signed 26).

The argument of "they have a new coach too" really is offset (at least some) by the brand new early signing period.

If ALL you look at is "oh my gosh we're dead last!" and DON'T  look at these factors too ( especially the number of recruits)....you are being dishonest.

That doesnt mean we should be overjoyed that we aren't in the top 3. But then, when have we ever been?

This class is middle of the pack in quality, just like most of our classes. Not fabulous. Not terrible.

The only thing that cannot be coached up, is speed. The previous staff failed to coach up. We'll see soon, if this staff can.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 09, 2018, 05:55:51 am
I'm not saying what you can or can't do. I just hate to see a fellow hogfan be miserable. That just seems to be whats going on with you. I was just suggesting you try and get past your anger and bitterness towards this coaching hire so you can try to enjoy being a fan again.

Pharm, I'm just tired of being mediocre (or less than) and on paper I don't think you can call this class anything other than that. (At this point). That's all I'm saying.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 09, 2018, 10:47:31 am
Pharm, I'm just tired of being mediocre (or less than) and on paper I don't think you can call this class anything other than that. (At this point). That's all I'm saying.

Yeah I'm tired of being mediocre, too, but we got Chad Morris. So I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic he does well. Great coaches all get a start somewhere. Here's to hoping we FINALLY catch a break and catch a guy on his way up. I can tell you this. I like his attitude and his work ethic. A breath of fresh air after watching a drunken fatass.
Millennials suck...

twistitup

Just landed nations top Juco DE recruit....not dead last
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....