Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Low Regarding SEC Job Openings

Started by cosmodrum, October 24, 2017, 04:03:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 24, 2017, 05:43:32 pm
Finebaum mentioned TN going after BB when they fire Jones.
He just likes to stir things up.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: tusked on October 24, 2017, 04:12:20 pm
I don't see the Hogs competing with everyone for many of the coaches.  FL will go after Kiffin, who won't get a look at AR.  TN will go after BP, who won't be in the mix.  OMU is going on probation and AR is a better job.  Auburn like the others will go after a HC that the hogs won't give a look at.

A/M can impact the Hogs, but mainly just with Morris at SMU.

So all is not lost.
I truly hope TENN does not hire BP. Im hoping the buyout will be too large.  I would hate for BP to make it back to the SEC and not be Ark coach. BP would turn TENN into a power.  Just stay at L'ville BP.

The Kig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on October 24, 2017, 06:09:25 pm
I truly hope TENN does not hire BP. Im hoping the buyout will be too large.  I would hate for BP to make it back to the SEC and not be Ark coach. BP would turn TENN into a power.  Just stay at L'ville BP.

If Tenner really wants BP (which I haven't heard and I live here) they buyout will not be too large.  They are ready to back a Brinks truck up and pay whatever to get a top tier coach.  May be delusional, but many really think they have a chance at Gruden. 
Poker Porker

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 04:08:04 pm
I'm just saying Long needs to be working on getting someone locked up now (or soon.)  He's pretty good with the smoke and mirrors.
Agreed. Long will need time to gather the Grade Point Averages of the teams whose coaches he is considering.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: The Kig on October 24, 2017, 06:15:07 pm
If Tenner really wants BP (which I haven't heard and I live here) they buyout will not be too large.  They are ready to back a Brinks truck up and pay whatever to get a top tier coach.  May be delusional, but many really think they have a chance at Gruden. 
They are like Arkansas fans(me included) , ready to spend the rich boosters money.

The Kig

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 24, 2017, 06:34:45 pm
They are like Arkansas fans(me included) , ready to spend the rich boosters money.

Too funny...but true.  Even when Bert's buyout was figured to be $15M+, posters were still lining up who should write a check they couldn't sign.  Petrino's Louisville buyout is $4.25M, which is still less than Bert's $5M+...  Neither buyout should be a factor if the schools are really going to make a change.  However, as McElroy cautioned, you better have a plan if you're gonna pony up that much buyout money. 

Poker Porker

rhames

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2017, 04:06:44 pm
Just as long as our short list doesn't pull a Will Hunting regarding the NSA job and hold out for something better.

Had to see about a girl.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

kaiserhog

Quote from: sowmonella on October 24, 2017, 05:23:48 pm
A&M, Florida, Auburn, Tennesse and LSU are all better jobs than Arkansas.
That is a bold statement that is not necessarily borne out by facts.  I can see Florida and LSU being better but not by much.

farmhawg

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2017, 04:03:05 pm
Didn't listen, but Bo tweeted that Chris Low said "It wouldn't be idiotic to think there will be six open jobs in the SEC this offseason."

Man, that would be TERRIBLE for us if we do indeed make a change.

Yep, we should just keep butter bean.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogboarder

Doesn't matter. Long will go after someone that nobody wants anyway.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 24, 2017, 05:11:32 pm
Don't you have to have the AD's approval to approach a coach? I'm not sure an AD would allow you to speak with their coach during the season. And I wouldn't want a coach who listens to a job offer during the season.

The good ones are locked into the season not the next job. IMHO

Folks here don't understand these kinds of nuances, things like having to go through agents to get "feelers", etc.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

chiefhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 05:36:36 pm
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tennessee fires their current HC and goes after Tee Martin. He is, after all, one of their own.
I agree that this is a real possibility. It would really impact recruiting in Georgia and surrounding states. That is where Tennessee made their mark in the past.

moses_007

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: moses_007 on October 24, 2017, 08:52:25 pm
You reckon Long might hire Sumlin?

Not enough integrity.....

Besides...Sumlin has probably saved himself.

PRJ

Justagp

Sarcasm at it's best.

texas tush hog

Quote from: rljjr on October 24, 2017, 05:24:54 pm
Tenner is not a better job. It's equal at best. It's Arkansas in orange.

Neyland seats 102,455 and they sell every seat. Even after expansion we will have less than 75,000 and a lot are empty.

ChicoHog

I hate to say it but Tenn is a much better job than arkansas and I bet most people would agree with me.  100K every home game, playing in the east division, much better recruiting base and a huge migration to middle Tennessee the last 10 years has made it even better, and great tradition.  Why do you think the Tennessee and Butch Jones situation gets about 10 more times more national play than our situation under BB?  Because Tenn is a much bigger name on a national scale.  If BB were at Tenner and Jones was here it would be exactly the same with the coaches name changed.

MissippHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 04:05:45 pm
Why, you think guys currently employed at other schools are going to leave those jobs before the season ends, or even give the appearance they are going to leave? OR not wait to see what better jobs might open up.
There's a certain coach that's about 6 hours away that attended UCA (along with his wife) and would probably put UA ahead of the majority of jobs. 

Matt Burks

Quote from: MissippHog on October 25, 2017, 01:17:41 am
There's a certain coach that's about 6 hours away that attended UCA (along with his wife) and would probably put UA ahead of the majority of jobs. 
I've been researching his story and the more I read the more I'm thoroughly impressed. His passionate love for the game, his drive to success and his family support is very impressive. I was slow to research him in the beginning, but the more wins he racked up my interest went up. That Houston game finally made me do that research. Now I'm very hopeful he'll end up in Fayetteville.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Matt Burks on October 25, 2017, 01:41:06 am
I've been researching his story and the more I read the more I'm thoroughly impressed. His passionate love for the game, his drive to success and his family support is very impressive. I was slow to research him in the beginning, but the more wins he racked up my interest went up. That Houston game finally made me do that research. Now I'm very hopeful he'll end up in Fayetteville.

I agree. I started doing some research after the south carolina  game (yes i still had faith until that point) and a buddy of mine knows Geoff Calkins the sportswriter for the Memphis Appeal. According to him, norvell was going to be a big name, even before the last few big wins, and schools like ole miss and possibly tennessee. He said then that arkansas was norvells dream job and he really hoped the arkansas job didnt open up bc he knew norvell would not only want the job, he would fight for it.

After hearing this i was intrigued. Ive watched every memphis game since and all of his pressers. He is a passionate guy and someone that will excite and unify our fan base. I could be wrong. He could fail miserably, but that could happen with anyone. There are no guarantees outside of lord saban and even he has failed in the past.   I really think its going to be the perfect storm and we will land this guy.  I also think the excitement of fast paced,  high scoring offense is just what we need.

WPS

hogcard1964

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 25, 2017, 09:11:12 am
I agree. I started doing some research after the south carolina  game (yes i still had faith until that point) and a buddy of mine knows Geoff Calkins the sportswriter for the Memphis Appeal. According to him, norvell was going to be a big name, even before the last few big wins, and schools like ole miss and possibly tennessee. He said then that arkansas was norvells dream job and he really hoped the arkansas job didnt open up bc he knew norvell would not only want the job, he would fight for it.

After hearing this i was intrigued. Ive watched every memphis game since and all of his pressers. He is a passionate guy and someone that will excite and unify our fan base. I could be wrong. He could fail miserably, but that could happen with anyone. There are no guarantees outside of lord saban and even he has failed in the past.   I really think its going to be the perfect storm and we will land this guy.  I also think the excitement of fast paced,  high scoring offense is just what we need.

WPS

The more I've thought about it recently, I do think Norvell will be the coach next year.

Paul

their budget dwarfs ours, their last NC was 20 yrs ago, their recruiting territory is more fertile...yes it's a better job.  Problem is:  their expectations are much higher.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Paul on October 25, 2017, 09:24:41 am
  their budget dwarfs ours, their last NC was 20 yrs ago, their recruiting territory is more fertile...yes it's a better job.  Problem is:  their expectations are much higher.

And if you arent jon gruden, you will be starting on the hot seat.

MissippHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 25, 2017, 09:17:45 am
The more I've thought about it recently, I do think Norvell will be the coach next year.
I would love for it to happen.  Living just outside of Memphis, it's been fun watching them play.  Here's a couple of articles about Norvell and his philosophyies....

http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football-insider/Chip-Long-talks-Memphis-offensive-scheme--373103051.html

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/sports/breaking-down-new-memphis-football-coach-mike-norvell-s-offense/article_b0c27d5c-9b8a-11e5-92a0-ffa0b72f4194.html

IMO, he is EXACTLY what we need. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Paul on October 25, 2017, 09:24:41 am

Spot on. They can recruit northern alabama and Georgia, as well as florida. They can reach over into the Carolinas and the Northeast. Much better job than ours.

Kevin

Tennessee's schedule really lightens up. they could get to 8-4, no worse than 7-5.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogwild

Quote from: The Kig on October 24, 2017, 06:15:07 pm

BP's buyout isn't an issue, it was reduced by 50% last week when UL fired their AD

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwild on October 25, 2017, 10:03:57 am

BP's buyout isn't an issue, it was reduced by 50% last week when UL fired their AD

IS BP really still seen as a top tier coach? He has lost like 6 of his last 10 with the reigning Heisman winner at QB.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

We have 6 national championships and 13 conference championships?
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Matt Burks

October 25, 2017, 10:37:40 am #80 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:56:47 am by Matt Burks
Quote from: MissippHog on October 25, 2017, 09:28:19 am
I would love for it to happen.  Living just outside of Memphis, it's been fun watching them play.  Here's a couple of articles about Norvell and his philosophyies....

http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football-insider/Chip-Long-talks-Memphis-offensive-scheme--373103051.html

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/sports/breaking-down-new-memphis-football-coach-mike-norvell-s-offense/article_b0c27d5c-9b8a-11e5-92a0-ffa0b72f4194.html

IMO, he is EXACTLY what we need. 

This is more about his upbringing and family, and it's a great read: http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/team-norvell-from-mom-to-mentors-to-wife-maria-tiger-coach-has-had-plenty-of-help-along-the-way-3b74-392081301.html

This is another great article as well: http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football-insider/Meet-Mike-Norvell-your-new-Memphis-Tigers-football-coach-360561851.html

Also for the Gus fans, there's an article out there that mentions how he gets ideas from Norvell and vice versa. That article also mentioned thar Gus, Norvell, Dowell Loggains and Morris meet occasionally and discuss football philosophies.

Redhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 10:16:53 am
IS BP really still seen as a top tier coach? He has lost like 6 of his last 10 with the reigning Heisman winner at QB.
Don't know...but I bet a BIG TIME program hires him and we'll find out.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawg1221

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 24, 2017, 10:01:08 pm
I hate to say it but Tenn is a much better job than arkansas and I bet most people would agree with me.  100K every home game, playing in the east division, much better recruiting base and a huge migration to middle Tennessee the last 10 years has made it even better, and great tradition.  Why do you think the Tennessee and Butch Jones situation gets about 10 more times more national play than our situation under BB?  Because Tenn is a much bigger name on a national scale.  If BB were at Tenner and Jones was here it would be exactly the same with the coaches name changed.

One thing people need to realize is when these traditional powerhouse programs are down,  they are still getting better recruiting classes than Arkansas.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on October 24, 2017, 06:09:25 pm

Bobby Petrino has already peaked. He has the Heisman trophy winner and can't beat a terrible Boston College team at home. Lets quit acting like 2017 Bobby Petrino is as good as the 2011 version.

DeltaBoy

I starting to really like Norvell.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 25, 2017, 10:33:55 am
We have 6 national championships and 13 conference championships?

Good to know!!! I am going to go talk trash in some Espn comments now, see you later.

311Hog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 25, 2017, 03:01:15 pm
Bilbo Baggins?

Tenner will never get him outa the Shire for anything less than 1000000 flagons of the Green Dragon's finest.  throw in a few oz's of Longbottom leaf as well.

MJ2

Regardless of what else is happening in the world, he's not getting it done and needs to be replaced.   You're growing or you're dying and I think the latter applies for the Hogs.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 311Hog on October 25, 2017, 03:04:57 pm
Tenner will never get him outa the Shire for anything less than 1000000 flagons of the Green Dragon's finest.  throw in a few oz's of Longbottom leaf as well.

Agreed, plus what does he have to prove at Tenner? Dude already has a ring.

Paul

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 25, 2017, 03:14:04 pm
Agreed, plus what does he have to prove at Tenner? Dude already has a ring.
well played

LRHawg

Saying we are a better job than Tenner is laughable. In just about every category it is better, except uniform color and mascot.

311Hog

Quote from: LRHawg on October 25, 2017, 04:18:27 pm
Saying we are a better job than Tenner is laughable. In just about every category it is better, except uniform color and mascot.
dont forget fight song we kick their ace in fight song.

Hogwild

Quote from: kaiserhog on October 24, 2017, 08:11:49 pm
What I'm trying to do in these rankings is view each job from a neutral point of view. I considered many different factors when trying to figure out which job is the "best." The tradition of a school was a factor, as was its amount of success, and how the school is positioned for future success.
Throw in some recruiting -- not only the recruiting base, but the level of difficulty involved in recruiting players to the school -- expectations and the loyalty of the fan base, and I think I came to some pretty reasonable conclusions.
So without further ado, here are the 14 jobs of the SEC ranked from best to worst.

An outsider's look the the SEC coaching jobs- https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sec-coaching-job-rankings-is-it-florida-georgia-or-lsu-that-trails-alabama/

Quote2 LSU
There are some budget concerns at LSU right now, but overall I just believe this job has so much to offer. Yes, you're going to have to compete with Alabama on a yearly basis, but you're also the flagship school in a state loaded with high school talent. You also have one of the most passionate fan bases in the country, and you can win national titles at LSU if you know what you're doing. There aren't many jobs across the country that can say that.

Quote4   FLORIDA
Florida fans are the ones who will disagree with Georgia being No. 3 more than anybody, and I understand the thought process. Florida is a fantastic job. It's one of the top 10 jobs in the country; it's just that it's in a conference with other great gigs too. Both Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer have shown us what the ceiling is in Gainesville. Also, if it's of any consolation, I would consider Florida to be closer to Alabama in these rankings than any of the jobs I have ranked below it. The biggest reason I have Florida below Georgia is its location. Yes, it's in Florida, and there is a high level of talent within the state. It's just that Florida must compete within the state with two other Power Five schools (Florida State and Miami) as well as schools like UCF and USF. Oh, and also every other school in the southeast, as well as the Big Ten and just about everybody else honestly. While Georgia is recruited heavily as well, the gap between Georgia and Georgia Tech is far greater than Florida and FSU or Miami.
5   AUBURN
This is where things get more complicated. There's such a division between the top four teams and this second-tier of schools. I would say that the schools between Nos. 5-7 are interchangeable based on your preferences, and I've chosen to put Auburn at the top of this tier. The reason for this is simple: Even though it has to compete with Alabama within its state, Auburn's still had plenty of success. There was the national title in 2010, an appearance in the BCS Championship Game in 2013, and let's not forget a 13-0 season in 2004 that did not end with a chance at the national title. All three of those seasons came under different coaches. You can win here, even if you have to do it in the shadow of Alabama.
6       TENNESSEE
There are valid arguments for having Tennessee ranked No. 5 here. First of all, Tennessee is in the SEC East, which is an easier place to dwell than the SEC West right now. Of course, you still have to play Alabama every season, and things are cyclical, so you can't rely on the East being "easier" forever. Another advantage is that Tennessee is the flagship school within the state. It has a huge fan base and a passionate one at that. Vols football is the most popular sport in the state, and I don't see the Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators or anybody else toppling it anytime soon. Where problems arise is in the area of recruiting. Unlike so many of its SEC counterparts, Tennessee isn't located in a fertile recruiting ground. There's talent within the state, sure, but not to the level we see in the states to the south.

7    TEXAS A&M
Again, if you want to put Texas A&M at No. 5 ahead of either Tennessee or Auburn, I get it. There's a lot to like here. While there are plenty of other FBS schools in Texas, the Aggies are the only SEC school, and that has an appeal to the many recruits in The Lone Star State. It's also a school that's crazy for football and has put plenty of money into the program. What causes me to hesitate a bit, though, is that as many advantages as A&M has, there isn't a whole lot of success to go with it. The Aggies haven't won a national title since 1939 and only won one conference title since the formation of the Big 12 in 1994. Hell, they only won three divisional titles in that time.

Quote8   OLE MISS
This marks the beginning of the third-tier. To be completely honest, though, I feel like Ole Miss can be a tier unto itself because the difference between the third and fourth tiers isn't that great. That's not to say there aren't plenty of valid arguments to having some of the schools beneath it ranked higher, but personally, I'd rather have the gig in Oxford over any of the other remaining option

Quote10   ARKANSAS
Arkansas certainly has had more success in its history than South Carolina. It won a national title in 1964, numerous SWC titles, and it's won the SEC West three times since joining the conference. So I can certainly understand why you'd want to rank Arkansas higher than South Carolina if that's your inkling. The problem for me is that even if it's the biggest program in the state, Arkansas still needs to rely on recruiting surrounding states more than South Carolina would need to. And when it does it's competing against LSU, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. That's a disadvantage.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hawg1221 on October 25, 2017, 10:47:51 am
One thing people need to realize is when these traditional powerhouse programs are down,  they are still getting better recruiting classes than Arkansas.
Agreed but if we can get a dynamic recruiter, we've really never had one here, it could change a little bit and get us the talent needed to compete in the SEC. 
Butch Jones is a pretty good recruiter, not a good coach.  Kind of opposite of Petrino. 

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 25, 2017, 01:14:59 am
Would you want a coach whose coaching another team but privately negotiating to leave their job during the season?  These men are professionals and they are not cutting some back alley deal before their current job is completed.  That type of stuff would spread like wildfire and taint quit a few reputations.

...like Petrino with us. Got it.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Redhogs on October 25, 2017, 10:44:06 am
Don't know...but I bet a BIG TIME program hires him and we'll find out.

Won't matter. Will lose the big ones and be gone in less than four years leaving behind a mess. You can call me whatever, but that is what he has done EVERY time.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Gonzo

I think BB is quite happy with the Pats, but hell, they keep thinking they can get Gruden too.

Go Hogs!

Tyrant Hog

Why is coach bielema not fired after the auburn game?