Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Low Regarding SEC Job Openings

Started by cosmodrum, October 24, 2017, 04:03:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmodrum

Didn't listen, but Bo tweeted that Chris Low said "It wouldn't be idiotic to think there will be six open jobs in the SEC this offseason."

Man, that would be TERRIBLE for us if we do indeed make a change.

Go away, batin'

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2017, 04:03:05 pm
Didn't listen, but Bo tweeted that Chris Low said "It wouldn't be idiotic to think there will be six open jobs in the SEC this offseason."

Would be typical though, our timing is never very good.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 04:04:26 pm
So we need to get it done quickly. 

Why, you think guys currently employed at other schools are going to leave those jobs before the season ends, or even give the appearance they are going to leave? OR not wait to see what better jobs might open up.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

Just as long as our short list doesn't pull a Will Hunting regarding the NSA job and hold out for something better.

Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 04:05:45 pm
Why, you think guys currently employed at other schools are going to leave those jobs before the season ends, or even give the appearance they are going to leave? OR not wait to see what better jobs might open up.

I'm just saying Long needs to be working on getting someone locked up now (or soon.)  He's pretty good with the smoke and mirrors.
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

Probably.

Only possible silver lining, and this is weak, but:

AM, Florida, Auburn, LSU and Ole Miss might be worse situations to step in to

Tenner and us are the only ones that have earned the firing and awaiting NCAA butterfly kisses.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2017, 04:06:44 pm
Just as long as our short list doesn't pull a Will Hunting regarding the NSA job and hold out for something better.

Lets assume BB is fired tomorrow, and lets assume Norvell wants the job. IS he going to bail on Memphis, who could be 7-1 after this weekend, before the season ends? Not likely. Now lets assume Memphis ends up 10-2, suddenly he is going to get callas from some other schools, because hey he just went 10-2 at Memphis. So he is going to listen and he is going to use that as leverage to get a better deal, just like Herman did with Texas when he flirted with LSU.

Jackrabbit Hog

Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss for sure.  I guess he's thinking Florida, Auburn and Missouri as well?  Or maybe A&M if they don't finish strong?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

thebignasty

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 24, 2017, 04:10:24 pm
Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss for sure.  I guess he's thinking Florida, Auburn and Missouri as well?  Or maybe A&M if they don't finish strong?

I think Sumlin has saved his job,  but wouldn't surprise me if he bailed on aggie.  I figure Mizzou isn't ready yet.
But they win

Tusks

I don't see the Hogs competing with everyone for many of the coaches.  FL will go after Kiffin, who won't get a look at AR.  TN will go after BP, who won't be in the mix.  OMU is going on probation and AR is a better job.  Auburn like the others will go after a HC that the hogs won't give a look at.

A/M can impact the Hogs, but mainly just with Morris at SMU.

So all is not lost.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

thebignasty

Quote from: tusked on October 24, 2017, 04:12:20 pm
I don't see the Hogs competing with everyone for many of the coaches.  FL will go after Kiffin, who won't get a look at AR.  TN will go after BP, who won't be in the mix.  OMU is going on probation and AR is a better job.  Auburn like the others will go after a HC that the hogs won't give a look at.

A/M can impact the Hogs, but mainly just with Morris at SMU.

So all is not lost.

I think Florida might go after Mullen, could open up another competitor against us.

Tenner fans are sure it's gruden again lol
But they win

Inhogswetrust

It won't make any difference. There are many other job openings at other schools EVERY year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: thebignasty on October 24, 2017, 04:12:05 pm
I think Sumlin has saved his job,  but wouldn't surprise me if he bailed on aggie.  I figure Mizzou isn't ready yet.

IDK, A&M could easily lose 3 of their last games to have 5 losses for like the 4th season in a row.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 04:13:55 pm
IDK, A&M could easily lose 3 of their last games to have 5 losses for like the 4th season in a row.

So we're pulling hard for the Aggies!
1909/1964/1965/1977

swinemaster

What if we hire one of the coaches leaving an SEC program?  ;)

thebignasty

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 04:13:55 pm

True. He's toast if that happens.
But they win

seasonhog

Should have been done last season....after Mo game.

Hogwild

Quote from: thebignasty on October 24, 2017, 04:13:42 pm
I think Florida might go after Mullen, could open up another competitor against us.

Considering that Florida just hired Miss. State's AD and that Mullen was the OC there under Meyer, it could very well happen.

grayhawg

cosmodrum

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 04:13:49 pm
It won't make any difference. There are many other job openings at other schools EVERY year.

Well sure, but the SEC with so many openings would be a unique situation.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

I could see UT going after Mullen, as well. They'd be crazy to not give him a serious look if there's a chance he'd leave MSU.
Go away, batin'

hawg1221

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 04:08:04 pm
I'm just saying Long needs to be working on getting someone locked up now (or soon.)  He's pretty good with the smoke and mirrors.

Chris also said that there's no advantage to getting rid of a coach mid season, because AD's pretty much have their hands tied until possible replacements are done with their season.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawg1221 on October 24, 2017, 04:26:10 pm
Chris also said that there's no advantage to getting rid of a coach mid season, because AD's pretty much have their hands tied until possible replacements are done with their season.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting we fire anyone mid-season.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2017, 04:04:22 pm
Would be typical though, our timing is never very good.

Timing shouldn't be s concern in 2017. We are all aware you get 3-5 years this days and there will be many openings in 2018 also. Its the new age we live in

247Hog

Quote from: swinemaster on October 24, 2017, 04:14:31 pm

Worked out well for Ole Miss   ;D
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogfan14

Well, last time Tennessee and Auburn were both open too and on paper they didn't make any better of a hire than we did. A lot of it is just getting lucky, not necessarily hiring the hottest name.

PygmalionEffect2

I am a better and more informed fan for having read this thread.

Solid observations
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 04:14:29 pm
So we're pulling hard for the Aggies!

OH that's just great! You just came up with the ONE thing that can actually make me root for the F%&#G Texas Aggies! Boy, this will be hard.  >:(

At quick glance of the list, I'm worried about Tennessee (in relation to us). Wouldn't most coaches rather take over a program in the EAST? Whoever does come Arkansas' way, it'll be a special kind of lunatic for sure.  ::)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hogcard1964

That's why they should have canned him the day after the Belk Bowl.

Tusks

If I'm not mistake, his AD that hired him at MSU is now the the AD at FL.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: thebignasty on October 24, 2017, 04:08:13 pm
Probably.

Tenner and us are the only ones that have earned the firing and awaiting NCAA butterfly kisses.
Unless there's a total disaster before the end of the season LSU is NOT going to be firing Ed O after just one year. Yes, they're still peeved about the Troy game, however, they thus far been able to rebound, although with a close call at Florida. And the way they fought back against Awbarn managed to unruffle many of the feathers that were messed up against the Trojans. Now had the other Tigers prevailed the Louisiana cats would REALLY be steaming. 

Vantage 8 dude

Heard a very good comment/observation from Greg McElroy a week or so back. He was talking about the fire that's supposedly glowing down at Awbarn. All the talk about the dreaded "hot seat" under Gus. In any event, McElroy, who views much of the fan impatience around the country as unjustified, gave this bit of advice: "If you're truly going to fire a HC, you had better have someone firmly in place at the time of the announcement. If you don't, you run a huge risk of the move backfiring on you". He then went on to cite the "jilting" of LSU by Tom Herman. Thinking they had him sewn up, and having already fired Les, when Herman decided to jump to Austin instead the powers down in Baton Rouge were left with their backsides hanging out and scrambling to cover themselves. And we all saw how that was handled afterwards.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 24, 2017, 04:46:22 pm
Heard a very good comment/observation from Greg McElroy a week or so back. He was talking about the fire that's supposedly glowing down at Awbarn. All the talk about the dreaded "hot seat" under Gus. In any event, McElroy, who views much of the fan impatience around the country as unjustified, gave this bit of advice: "If you're truly going to fire a HC, you had better have someone firmly in place at the time of the announcement. If you don't, you run a huge risk of the move backfiring on you". He then went on to cite the "jilting" of LSU by Tom Herman. Thinking they had him sewn up, and having already fired Les, when Herman decided to jump to Austin instead the powers down in Baton Rouge were left with their backsides hanging out and scrambling to cover themselves. And we all saw how that was handled afterwards.

That LSU AD handled the Les Miles situation like a slow-witted baboon on a bender.
Go away, batin'

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 24, 2017, 04:46:22 pm
Remember how badly we had two job searches in basketball (Heath, Pelphrey) when we didn't have the next guy lined up.

GuvHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2017, 04:51:43 pm
That LSU AD handled the Les Miles situation like a slow-witted baboon on a bender.

Agreed. LSU put all of their eggs in one basket but the Longhorns stole their basket.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

311Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 24, 2017, 04:06:44 pm

It ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work. He can't afford to drive, so he's walkin' to the [CENSORED]' job interviews, which sucks because the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorroids. And meanwhile he's starvin' 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.
So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure, Frank it, while I'm at it, why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.

yep you could be President....

thebignasty

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 24, 2017, 04:38:09 pm
Unless there's a total disaster before the end of the season LSU is NOT going to be firing Ed O after just one year. Yes, they're still peeved about the Troy game, however, they thus far been able to rebound, although with a close call at Florida. And the way they fought back against Awbarn managed to unruffle many of the feathers that were messed up against the Trojans. Now had the other Tigers prevailed the Louisiana cats would REALLY be steaming.

I don't think Eddie O is gone after this year either, though a total collapse isn't out of the realm of possibility and I don't think hummer boy would survive it.
But they win

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2017, 04:08:04 pm

Don't you have to have the AD's approval to approach a coach? I'm not sure an AD would allow you to speak with their coach during the season. And I wouldn't want a coach who listens to a job offer during the season.

The good ones are locked into the season not the next job. IMHO
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Cylinder

This is just promoting things that provides content and sets him up for excuses to be seen as right or prescient. It's basically the same as next year will be accountable or next game will tell the tale.

Likely coaching changes will be Tennessee and obviously Mississippi. Sumlin is safe with his trajectory. McElwain  is warming up but he won his division both years as head coach. Gus seat s getting warm but ti's unlikely he is fired this year unless someone very special came along. Any of those coaches could crap out and get fired but all of them is hugely unlikely.

sowmonella

Quote from: thebignasty on October 24, 2017, 04:08:13 pm
Probably.

A&M, Florida, Auburn, Tennesse and LSU are all better jobs than Arkansas.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

rljjr

Tenner is not a better job. It's equal at best. It's Arkansas in orange.

thebignasty

Quote from: sowmonella on October 24, 2017, 05:23:48 pm

I dont disagree.  Not sure how many coaches want to go to a place where consecutive SEC title game appearances gets you death threats, is all.
But they win

GuvHog

Quote from: rljjr on October 24, 2017, 05:24:54 pm
Tenner is not a better job. It's equal at best. It's Arkansas in orange.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tennessee fires their current HC and goes after Tee Martin. He is, after all, one of their own.

007 License To Squeal

All the more reason to take decisive action right now....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

chenalhog

Quote from: thebignasty on October 24, 2017, 05:04:22 pm
I don't think Eddie O is gone after this year either, though a total collapse isn't out of the realm of possibility and I don't think hummer boy would survive it.
they do have one easy win.  US

JaketheSnake

Quote from: swinemaster on October 24, 2017, 04:14:31 pm
Finebaum mentioned TN going after BB when they fire Jones.

GuvHog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 24, 2017, 05:37:55 pm
All the more reason to take decisive action right now....

Exactly. Get a head start on the coaching search by announcing immediately that Bret will not be retained after the regular season ends.

The Kig

Quote from: sowmonella on October 24, 2017, 05:23:48 pm

My exact thought when I read that...
Poker Porker