Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bass Pro Shops finally acquire Cabelas

Started by jbcarol, October 03, 2016, 12:26:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

kodiakisland

I can't see how this will be good for the consumer.  Thankfully I don't purchase much from either.  I do enjoy the stores though.  Especially the big Cabelas at Ft Worth and KC.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

theFlyingHog

Have been less than impressed with Cabelas brand clothing. Especially at the price they charge!

Hogs run wild

I bought a pair of shoes from bass pro once. It was on sale. They are so over priced it's crazy. I won't ever pay what they charge for most things. The Internet allows for one to save money.  I guess there are lots of people with disposable income shopping at these stores.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

DeltaBoy

I hit both when I can about once a year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

I remember when Bass Pro was only one, moderate sized liquor store with fishing supplies located in Springfield, MO.    of course that was in the 70's.............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 04, 2016, 09:42:03 am
I remember when Bass Pro was only one, moderate sized liquor store with fishing supplies located in Springfield, MO.    of course that was in the 70's.............

Time flies!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HogScoutMaster

Cabelas Tents are FAR better than Bass Pros for sure
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Rzbakfromwaybak

Makes you wonder if they're going to keep all the locations of the (now old) Cabela's stores open, or shut down a few.   Interesting to see what happens in the next year or two.  Only thing for sure, Bass Pro just took out it's biggest competitor type store.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on October 05, 2016, 05:30:53 pm
Makes you wonder if they're going to keep all the locations of the (now old) Cabela's stores open, or shut down a few.   Interesting to see what happens in the next year or two.  Only thing for sure, Bass Pro just took out it's biggest competitor type store.

Yep I am wondering that myself.

LCAPTP

Academy has the same stuff for much better price.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogScoutMaster on October 05, 2016, 04:34:35 pm
Cabelas Tents are FAR better than Bass Pros for sure

They have a better camping selection in the one at NWA than the Bass Pro Pyramid in Memphis (which is more of a tourist attraction than actual store).
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 04, 2016, 09:42:03 am

IIRC there was one in Rogers that used to be a 7-11.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Cabala's should have simply gone private.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 03, 2016, 03:16:19 pm
I can't see how this will be good for the consumer.  Thankfully I don't purchase much from either.  I do enjoy the stores though.  Especially the big Cabelas at Ft Worth and KC.
My kids have fun at the Cabela's KC.    Dad does too I admit.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DLUXHOG

I've talked to a couple of the managers, one in Rogers, and one if Ft Worth and they said that Bass Pro was keeping Cabellas as "Cabellas" and had no plans of converting them to Bass Pro or shutting any down.     I don't really know if these guys really knew what they were talking about or if that is simply the company line to maintain stability in the Cabellas stores for the interim.. but it's as close to the horses mouth that I have gotten........

onebadrubi

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 22, 2016, 03:10:11 pm
I've talked to a couple of the managers, one in Rogers, and one if Ft Worth and they said that Bass Pro was keeping Cabellas as "Cabellas" and had no plans of converting them to Bass Pro or shutting any down.     I don't really know if these guys really knew what they were talking about or if that is simply the company line to maintain stability in the Cabellas stores for the interim.. but it's as close to the horses mouth that I have gotten........

This line is always spewed in mergers and acquisitions, but NEVeR ends up that way.

Jim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 22, 2016, 04:27:56 pm
This line is always spewed in mergers and acquisitions, but NEVeR ends up that way.

maybe it won't, but even Johnny Morris realizes that there is a market for buyers who like just the certain products that Cabella's has compared to BP, and with the merger he's got the best of both worlds.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 22, 2016, 04:36:08 pm
maybe it won't, but even Johnny Morris realizes that there is a market for buyers who like just the certain products that Cabella's has compared to BP, and with the merger he's got the best of both worlds.

I'd like to know what those products are?  The stores are spitting images of each other outside of their in house PL brands.

Their volume of revenues are coming from the same manufacturers

DLUXHOG

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 22, 2016, 05:13:04 pm
I'd like to know what those products are?  The stores are spitting images of each other outside of their in house PL brands.

Their volume of revenues are coming from the same manufacturers
works sort of like GM used to with their various brands of cars (Cadillac, Chevy, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, etc..).    GM was successful with multiple brands until the rest of the world invaded the US with better products...........

onebadrubi

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 23, 2016, 09:30:01 am
works sort of like GM used to with their various brands of cars (Cadillac, Chevy, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, etc..).    GM was successful with multiple brands until the rest of the world invaded the US with better products...........

But their were differences other than just a stitched badge. For instance is bass pro only going to offer select brand guns, only certain Camo patterns, etc and allow cabelas to offer the complete opposite? 

If I had to take a wild stab, this is a ploy to buy market share.  They will buy market share, kill off a top competitor, and probably gain some inside knowledge or distribution networks they didn't have previously.  All the while getting some new locations. They will then over the next year or two dive into areas with more than one location and see which one has a better real estate package and more profitable and get rid of the other. Just a guess though.