Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith Wasn't The Problem

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 25, 2017, 09:14:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on October 25, 2017, 09:56:54 am
Yeah but 629 yards to Auburn? That's bad.

I'm not advocating he is the best DC in the country. I'm saying it is silly to say Enos is faulted because he is handcuffed but the new coach installing a new scheme doesn't get a pass

None of them will be here in 6 weeks.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 25, 2017, 09:42:35 am
I understand Rhoads has the Hogs working out on a 1-3 defense.  Should be good.

You really should read more and post less.  You only want to point fingers to point, you don't even know what's going on.   It's already been said, that play was on some position assistants that called for line changes, Pr made a game adjustment after that.   Do what you are blaming in him there wasn't his fault and he fixed it. 

Ironically, I wasn't sold on PR when people wanted him last year, but it appears we won't see his idea of a defense anyways. 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Willie Robinson wasn't the problem either.

At some point the Jimmy's and Joes gotta take accountability
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

hawgdavis

Wher
Quote from: rhames on October 25, 2017, 09:38:17 am

So Enos is handcuffed but not Rhodes?

Rhodes is a good coach. He he installing a new defense that has an offense that can't stay on the field.

Where did you get that pic of my girlfriend?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: rhames on October 25, 2017, 09:44:18 am

Yeah. That's a mess. But I'm not sure the authority the defensive coordinator has when it comes to calling a time out.

Why hasn't Bielema been raked over the coals for not noticing that? He should have had the awareness to know the substitution and call TO, or maybe one of the players on the field should have called TO.

Just piss poor preparation, situational awareness is not of a D1 level.

Worst Razorback coach of my lifetime
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

snoot hoggy hog

Everybody that's posting on here now was calling for Robb Smith's head last season. Are you saying that CBB tricked everybody? Yeah right. Once again, Arkansas biggest problem is our delusional fans. If it was up to ya'll we would change coaches like we change drawers....wait, I forgot who I was talking to.

Temprees

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on October 25, 2017, 11:23:46 am
Everybody that's posting on here now was calling for Robb Smith's head last season. Are you saying that CBB tricked everybody? Yeah right. Once again, Arkansas biggest problem is our delusional fans. If it was up to ya'll we would change coaches like we change drawers....wait, I forgot who I was talking to.
You do realize that our defense is not any better this year don't you?

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: Temprees on October 25, 2017, 11:30:08 am
You do realize that our defense is not any better this year don't you?

Soooo was Robb Smith the problem? If not then why was everyone saying he needs to be fired?

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogSlop84 on October 25, 2017, 10:50:12 am
Smith didn't give up them yards, them non SEC caliber players gave up 600 yards and 34 Touchdowns, that Butter Bean  recruited..

Smith didn't recruit them too?

TexasRazorback

HogSlop84

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 25, 2017, 11:39:56 am
Smith didn't recruit them too?
it all comes down to the head coach, the assistant goes  after the players the head coach wants.

tbhogfan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 25, 2017, 09:14:08 am
His first year here Arkansas had a top 10 defense. Many people though it was only because Flowers, Philon, and Spaight in his front 7. Apparently, it wasn't a fluke. Minnesota currently has a top 25 defense under Robb Smith. We have a new DC, new position coaches, new defensive scheme, and new players. That means that the REAL problem must be the one thing that never changed, the head coach.
I'm beginning to think that our main problem is in conditioning.  Seems we're much more interested in getting guys looking like the cover of Muscle and Fitness Magazine, and not getting them into the physical condition needed to play well in the second half of football games.  Robb Smith has been successful everywhere but here, as had Rhodes, so we need to look at other factors as well. 
Go Hogs!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 25, 2017, 10:00:23 am
correct, and no, he wasn't....   think....!   who has had ultimate and consistent power and control, for several decades.........
Who has had power for several decades? I don't know man Ive only been around for a couple myself
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Tusks

So how did Grantham step into MSU and make them a great defense
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

twistitup

Maybe RS wasn't the problem....but I don't think he was part of the solution either.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HogSlop84

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 12:25:45 pm
So how did Grantham step into MSU and make them a great defense
Miss St has always had a stout D..

Tusks

Quote from: HogSlop84 on October 25, 2017, 12:28:32 pm
Miss St has always had a pretty stout D..

So it was coaching?  they had the players but bad coaching?  I don't remember them being better than the Hogs on D until BB got to the hill.

ballz2thewall

here's what we know.....

under smith we had some good defense. we had some awful defense.
under rhodes we have an awful defense.

both are awful in similar ways.

among the two numerators, what is the common denominator?

EDIT: i kicked rob smith at first. then, after thinking backwards on the games and the progression, i came to the conclusion prior to smiths departure that the problem was cbb, aka "the uncommon denominator".
The rest of the frog.

Tusks

Grantham took MSU defense from 110 to 8th.  In the last 10 years MSU never had a top 25 D.  They were usually around the Hogs.

HogSlop84

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 12:30:00 pm
So it was coaching?  they had the players but bad coaching?  I don't remember them being better than the Hogs on D until BB got to the hill.
2006 was the best d the Hogs had in loooooooooong time.. Miss St has always been better in that department then Hogs.

presidenthog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 25, 2017, 09:45:45 am
No I said Rhoads just sucks as a coach.  I never said he was or wasn't handcuffed. Enos is the one that's handcuffed.

The defense is the only side of the ball that I've seen actually come out to play in multiple games.they just give up after the 3 and out fest your boy enos calls an offense.

Disclaimer: I like both coordinators. I just think the team has quit on thier fat boss.

DLUXHOG

October 25, 2017, 12:53:07 pm #71 Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:35:33 pm by DLUXHOG
Quote from: rljjr on October 25, 2017, 10:33:55 am
Frank is gone.

You're thinking too simplistic.... it isn't and wasn't Frank.............. Think......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

East Clintwood

Quote from: smb on October 25, 2017, 09:36:40 am
Fine time to fine all this out.

The evidence has been out there for a long time for anybody to discover.  However, once someone figures it out, they really can't do anything with it.

You really can't buck the company line around here.  If you come here nicely and try to debunk the Hogville establishment, you get repeatedly shouted down and made fun of to the point that you eventually give up,

If you forget the nice, timid approach and try you own shouting against the common belief, Wilson or someone else will ban you.

Only after a very large number of posters (and moderators) begins to question the previous commonly held beliefs, can you post contrary information safely.

What I'm saying is that if you Bert was the problem 3 or 4 years ago, you really couldn't spread that information effectively.  You just had to grin and bear it.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

From Tusk Till Dawn

The HC is ultimately responsible for the entire team.  But he takes it to another level.  It is clear he has single handedly interfered with every player recruited, every position coach's responsibilities, every play called, and every singular players development.  Shanked field goal-Bielemas fault, Interception- Bielemas fault, injury-Bielemas fault.  He has got to be exhausted being spread so thin.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rhames on October 25, 2017, 09:38:17 am

So Enos is handcuffed but not Rhodes?

Rhodes is a good coach. He he installing a new defense that has an offense that can't stay on the field.
right, the Offense gets a pass for being anemic, but the defense sucks, never mind that the they are on the field the whole game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jgphillips3

A lot of people still seem to miss how much of an impact upon the 2014 defense Randy Shannon had.  I think, as much as the NFL 3, his loss was just as impactful.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogSlop84 on October 25, 2017, 12:16:30 pm
it all comes down to the head coach, the assistant goes  after the players the head coach wants.

I see you're not sure how this thing works.

hogcard1964

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 25, 2017, 01:01:05 pm

The evidence has been out there for a long time for anybody to discover.  However, once someone figures it out, they really can't do anything with it.

You really can't buck the company line around here.  If you come here nicely and try to debunk the Hogville establishment, you get repeatedly shouted down and made fun of to the point that you eventually give up,

If you forget the nice, timid approach and try you own shouting against the common belief, Wilson or someone else will ban you.

Only after a very large number of posters (and moderators) begins to question the previous commonly held beliefs, can you post contrary information safely.

What I'm saying is that if you Bert was the problem 3 or 4 years ago, you really couldn't spread that information effectively.  You just had to grin and bear it.

+1000

I agree with this.  I was literally banned for stating the fact that Nutter was a better coach than Butters sometime last year.  It was something like a 21 day ban.

BoogaHog

Quote from: tbhogfan on October 25, 2017, 12:18:41 pm
I'm beginning to think that our main problem is in conditioning.  Seems we're much more interested in getting guys looking like the cover of Muscle and Fitness Magazine, and not getting them into the physical condition needed to play well in the second half of football games.  Robb Smith has been successful everywhere but here, as had Rhodes, so we need to look at other factors as well.

You are 100% accurate, sir.  I worked out with a couple of the higher profile players this summer and they had to stop at fewer than five minutes into the workout.  I was right there beside them doing the same (I'm 52 with a torn meniscus).  I fear that their is a lack of focus on speed, agility, quickness, muscular endurance and cardio).  My son (a UA student, kickboxer, and grappler) was going to sign up for 4th Quarter and it was not offered in the course selection any longer.

Body Building not equal to Functional Fitness

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 25, 2017, 09:14:08 am
His first year here Arkansas had a top 10 defense. Many people though it was only because Flowers, Philon, and Spaight in his front 7. Apparently, it wasn't a fluke. Minnesota currently has a top 25 defense under Robb Smith. We have a new DC, new position coaches, new defensive scheme, and new players. That means that the REAL problem must be the one thing that never changed, the head coach.

not sure hr is a good recruiter but apparently he can coach.  do you think its beliema?  lol

Davidr295

Quote from: 311Hog on October 25, 2017, 09:54:08 am
Santos, Curl, and Toliver have impressed me actually, the rest not so much.

Santos has been horrible. Half of the big plays we have given up this year are because of him taking bad angles and getting beat.

hawg1221

When you lack speed and you don't play smart, you're in trouble.

AirWarren

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 25, 2017, 09:28:41 am
Not really. He and Enos are the best coaches on the staff.

Just because he is jumping around, hollering and interacting with his players doesn't mean he is a good coach.

We had a saying in the hospital. Run around like you're head is on fire all the time. Never look bored. Because people will think you're slammed and working hard even if you're not. People will leave you alone and not try to dump assignments on you.

pigskenG

I'd be willing to bet we play more walk ons, current or former, than any other team in the SEC.
Not every kid is going to turn out to be a Burlsworth. We need to recruit much better. Been this way for years.
In 2005, we signed Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, still finished #26 in the country recruiting.
I think we need to finish this year recruiting only OL, DL, LB & Safeties. Maybe next year too.

jimmur74

Its called lack of talent

Quote from: WaltonCollege on October 25, 2017, 09:54:45 am
Robb smith is awful, let Dak have 600 yards total offense against us one game, gave up 34 rushing touchdowns last year. Dude was not good.