Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AState message board seriously humiliating itself over Miami cancellation...

Started by Bogghawg, September 06, 2017, 01:31:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

I can only imagine how disappointed they are, especially after their fantastic showing at Lincoln last week, but this is the strongest hurricane EVER in the Atlantic, it's headed straight for Miami, and these posters are making it all about Jonesboro.  I wish they were playing.  I would be rooting for State and even half expect them to win, like when Troy scores a home game against a Power 5 team, but they need to be realistic.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

ricepig

Razorbackers

That's because their fanbase is insane.

But what else can you expect from the Boise State of the South?

Justifiable Hogicide

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

HamSammich

They have a message board? And UA fans really have enough time to actually read it? I'd rather knit

Sivad

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 06, 2017, 01:32:51 pm
You can bet they will find a way to blame it on the UA.
Well of course they will.
That has been their entire mantra for decades.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Sivad on September 06, 2017, 01:51:09 pm
Well of course they will.
That has been their entire mantra for decades.

That is not a smart attitude for them to take. They should accept a little brother mentality and work with Arkansas. If you make people choose, they will pick the Hogs. I personally root for A-State in everything they do, but if they keep this up, that will stop.

I generally root for ASU because they are from Arkansas and all. But reading that board makes it really tough to do. They think Miami is afraid of them. And the Razorback hate is amazing.

gchamblee

phadedhawg

I can understand the frustration.  There is very little chance Irma will make landfall in Jonesboro.  Seems kinda shortsighted to cancel the game over a storm in another region of the country. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 06, 2017, 02:19:20 pm
I can understand the frustration.  There is very little chance Irma will make landfall in Jonesboro.  Seems kinda shortsighted to cancel the game over a storm in another region of the country. 
but the players homes / family are in miami which will be getting hit.  maybe they need time to prepare for that, rather than a cupcake OOC game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 06, 2017, 02:06:44 pm
That is not a smart attitude for them to take. They should accept a little brother mentality and work with Arkansas. If you make people choose, they will pick the Hogs. I personally root for A-State in everything they do, but if they keep this up, that will stop.

Their athletic department doesn't want people to choose.  Big donors at A-State are often also Arkansas donors.  If they have to choose, most of them won't choose ASU.  That's one of several reasons why you may hear some ASU fans banging this drum, but you don't hear ASU administration banging it.  There's nothing in it for them.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 06, 2017, 02:23:11 pm
but the players homes / family are in miami which will be getting hit.  maybe they need time to prepare for that, rather than a cupcake OOC game.

Agree, and I understand the frustration--this was going to be the biggest game ever played in Jonesboro.  It's something that ASU fans have looked forward to ever since the game was scheduled.

Still, there's a major hurricane, and we've just seen what they can do.  I hope that Irma passes Florida by somehow, but I understand Miami wanting to make this move in case the worst should happen.

Tough luck for A-State, but completely understandable.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

zane

I'm from Jonesboro and an Alum of ASU. This was a big deal for Jonesboro no doubt and I hate it for the community that it isn't happening.

However, it is the right call. Who knows what kind of shape the area will be in when the team tries to fly back into Miami.
RIP LSUfan

phadedhawg

They are the Miami Hurricanes...if there's any program who should know how to handle hurricane prep, you'd think it would be them LOL

If anything it would get the team, coaches, band, etc out of the area for the storm.  They were looking for a way to get out of this game and they are using a storm to do it. 

I'm a big time weather watcher, and I know this storm is no joke (it may be historic) but we aren't talking about a game that would take place in Florida.  Cancelling that makes perfect sense.  This is just taking advantage of the situation to get out of a game that there's very little upside for Miami.  They gain nothing by beating ASU but losing to them would put a lot of heat on the program. 

If the Gators cancelled a game in NW Arkansas bc of a storm in Florida, we'd be pretty steamed too. 

phadedhawg

Quote from: zane on September 06, 2017, 02:25:35 pm
I'm from Jonesboro and an Alum of ASU. This was a big deal for Jonesboro no doubt and I hate it for the community that it isn't happening.

However, it is the right call. Who knows what kind of shape the area will be in when the team tries to fly back into Miami.

I guess that's a decent point.  It may be harder to get home afterwards.

cosmodrum

Quote from: zane on September 06, 2017, 02:25:35 pm

Totally agree. Would've been awesome for ASU, but there's more important things than football.
Go away, batin'

gchamblee

asuato

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 06, 2017, 02:23:17 pm
Their athletic department doesn't want people to choose.  Big donors at A-State are often also Arkansas donors.  If they have to choose, most of them won't choose ASU.  That's one of several reasons why you may hear some ASU fans banging this drum, but you don't hear ASU administration banging it.  There's nothing in it for them.
Quote from: phadedhawg on September 06, 2017, 02:19:20 pm
Yep. FAU and FIU are both still playing and have families in Florida. Just an easy out for a game Miami didn't want to play.

LZH

Quote from: asuato on September 06, 2017, 02:35:38 pm
Yep. FAU and FIU are both still playing and have families in Florida. Just an easy out for a game Miami didn't want to play.

I thought I heard on TV where pretty much everyone in the state is canceling their games or postponing their games this weekend.

gchamblee

What a shallow take on it

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on September 06, 2017, 02:41:36 pm
I thought I heard on TV wjere pretty much everyone in the state is canceling their games or postponing their games this weekend.

Miami is releasing their entire student body so that they can go take care of their personal lives. Seems like the right move considering the size of the storm coming?

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on September 06, 2017, 02:41:36 pm
I thought I heard on TV where pretty much everyone in the state is canceling their games or postponing their games this weekend.

FIU is playing in Birmingham.

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 02:42:28 pm
Miami is releasing their entire student body so that they can go take care of their personal lives. Seems like the right move considering the size of the storm coming?
No that's wrong. A few thousand people in Jonesboro, AR wanted to see a football game so it doesn't matter about Miami players/coaches safety or personal lives. (or at least that's how that ASU board reads)

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 02:42:28 pm

That's good because Coral Gables is pretty low land and if it does take a direct hit that place is going to be a mess. At least I am up on the bluff with the Barrier Island between me and the Gulf if it's swings to the West so I won't have to worry about too much water. Those folks down there are probably in big trouble.

factchecker

You think jonesboro tech fans reacted poorly to this?

Go find their response to Coach Broyles death.

There are also a couple of them who went after and made fun of Canaan Sandy a few years back on twitter.

jonesboro tech fans are classless, trashy, pieces of filth.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on September 06, 2017, 02:50:24 pm
That's good because Coral Gables is pretty low land and if it does take a direct hit that place is going to be a mess. At least I am up on the bluff with the Barrier Island between me and the Gulf if it's swings to the West so I won't have to worry about too much water. Those folks down there are probably in big trouble.

Your worry will be the ability for stores to restock giving you access to food/necessities. I hope all goes well for you and you don't find yourself being anything more than inconvenienced. If you need a place to flee to, I have a spare room with your name on it in Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on September 06, 2017, 02:50:24 pm

Just fill up the tub with plenty of beer and block ice, when the beer runs out the ice will have melted and you'll still have water......

Bogghawg

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 02:53:23 pm
Your worry will be the ability for stores to restock giving you access to food/necessities. I hope all goes well for you and you don't find yourself being anything more than inconvenienced. If you need a place to flee to, I have a spare room with your name on it in Arkansas.

Thanks buddy. Much appreciated.

Quote from: ricepig on September 06, 2017, 02:56:06 pm
Just fill up the tub with plenty of beer and block ice, when the beer runs out the ice will have melted and you'll still have water......

Actually this morning that is what they said to do if you are having a hard time already finding water, is to freeze as much of it as you can and let it melt when you get low on bottled water.

Bogghawg

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 06, 2017, 01:32:51 pm
You can bet they will find a way to blame it on the UA.
They won't even DISCUSS rescheduling a game in Jonesboro.
I smell the stink of Hog Swine on that.

Dropkick

Perfect example of an ASU fan............................................

zane

Quote from: factchecker on September 06, 2017, 02:52:43 pm
You think jonesboro tech fans reacted poorly to this?

Go find their response to Coach Broyles death.

There are also a couple of them who went after and made fun of Canaan Sandy a few years back on twitter.

jonesboro tech fans are classless, trashy, pieces of filth.

You're describing 3% of ASU's fan base. Every university has that 3%.

Pump the brakes.
RIP LSUfan

GoHogs1091

Probably good for ASU that this game is not being played.

Miami is a lot better than Nebraska.  Also, Miami is a lot better coached than Nebraska.

Miami would have been the best team ASU has faced since ASU played UCA last season (who ASU lost to).

LZH

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 06, 2017, 03:50:04 pm

Miami is a lot better than Nebraska.  Also, Miami is a lot better coached than Nebraska.

Miami would have been the best team ASU has faced since ASU played UCA last season (who ASU lost to).

What? Are you saying UCA is better than Nebraska?

Atlhogfan1

I understand Miami canceling but the reasons given by their AD are dumb. At least the quotes I have seen as they are all about travel.  ASU and ESPN agreed to move the game to Fri night.  Irma expected in Florida late Sunday or early Monday.  The real concern should be returning to Miami late Fri night and having to evacuate if they did decide to return.  Plus helping their families get ready and evacuate.  But neither of those reasons were given from what I have seen.

I have little doubt Miami didn't want to play this game.  Not an appealing game as it is no win for them just before having to play their rivalry game with FSU.  But I don't think they used this as an excuse to get out of it.  Pretty crappy accusation if it can't be proven given what Irma is.

As far as the Hogs I've always said ASU didn't want people in Ark to truly choose.  A small faction of their fans makes it hard not to. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: LZH on September 06, 2017, 03:51:18 pm
What? Are you saying UCA is better than Nebraska?

Nebraska is mediocre.  McNeese State almost beat Nebraska (McNeese should have won, but Nebraska got extremely lucky) a couple of years ago when Nebraska had a huge talent advantage.

UCA won 10 games last season, and could be winning at least 10 games again this season.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 06, 2017, 03:57:05 pm
I understand Miami canceling but the reasons given by their AD are dumb. At least the quotes I have seen as they are all about travel.  ASU and ESPN agreed to move the game to Fri night.  Irma expected in Florida late Sunday or early Monday.  The real concern should be returning to Miami late Fri night and having to evacuate if they did decide to return.  Plus helping their families get ready and evacuate.  But neither of those reasons were given from what I have seen.

I have little doubt Miami didn't want to play this game.  Not an appealing game as it is no win for them just before having to play their rivalry game with FSU.  But I don't think they used this as an excuse to get out of it.  Pretty crappy accusation if it can't be proven given what Irma is.

As far as the Hogs I've always said ASU didn't want people in Ark to truly choose.  A small faction of their fans makes it hard not to. 

"This is about what's best for our students, coaching staff and their families," Miami athletic director Blake James said, after telling Arkansas State about the decision that wasn't exactly warmly received. "We're not confident that we were going to get back after the game and we weren't going to leave our players stranded somewhere. There's bigger things than football."

What is so hard to understand?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 06, 2017, 04:07:12 pm
"This is about what's best for our students, coaching staff and their families," Miami athletic director Blake James said, after telling Arkansas State about the decision that wasn't exactly warmly received. "We're not confident that we were going to get back after the game and we weren't going to leave our players stranded somewhere. There's bigger things than football."[/b

They would have gotten back.   Charter flight from Memphis would have had them home in the early morning hours Saturday.   But then they would have had to evacuate if storm continues on predicted path.  Having time to evacuate would have been the real concern. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 06, 2017, 03:50:04 pm

LOL! Every post has something about UCA, Mississippi State, or Brent Venables.

pigture perfect

They are saying the same thing we say about Texas not honoring a return trip to Fayetteville, which they still owe us after how many years. They are being no worse than us.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 06, 2017, 04:07:12 pm
"This is about what's best for our students, coaching staff and their families," Miami athletic director Blake James said, after telling Arkansas State about the decision that wasn't exactly warmly received. "We're not confident that we were going to get back after the game and we weren't going to leave our players stranded somewhere. There's bigger things than football."

They wouldn't have been stranded if they couldn't have made it back.  In fact, if they couldn't have made it back their players would have not been in harms way.

By not going to Jonesboro, it is actually keeping their players in harms way.  Depending on the track of the storm, their players may have to evacuate, and then they could truly be stranded.

RazorPiggie

WOW.

Atlhogfan1

Miami is a program with a lot of local players.  They should have these few days to get with their families and evacuate.  Plus trying to prepare and play a game with a storm like this heading toward your home shouldn't be asked of Miami.  Logistically, they could have made it to JB on Fri and played and made it back home.  But no reason to do so.  I hope they compensate ASU.  Sorry for JB they aren't getting the revenue this would have generated.

gchamblee

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 06, 2017, 04:17:44 pm
They wouldn't have been stranded if they couldn't have made it back.  In fact, if they couldn't have made it back their players would have not been in harms way.

By not going to Jonesboro, it is actually keeping their players in harms way.  Depending on the track of the storm, their players may have to evacuate, and then they could truly be stranded.

Based on AStates reaction to this cancellation, I would fear for the Miami players safety if they had won the game and been stranded in Jonesboro. The ASU fans are showing no ability to engage rational thought and they want a team that just beat them to stay in local motels for an extended period of time? LMAO yah ok.

NaturalStateReb

Those teams probably can't afford to not play those games, unlike Miami.