Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What would the point spread be if UA played A-State this weekend?

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, October 26, 2017, 09:22:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael D Huff AIA

Hypothetically speaking, if the game was played in Fayetteville, what would the spread be?

Right now, the Hogs have the 84th best defense in the country, with the Red Wolves at 90th.
The Hogs have the 99th best offense in the country, with the Red Wolves at 21st.

My gut says that it would be a pick 'em. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

While not apples to apples, the ASU NMSU game might be a decent indicator to at least ball park it.

Other things to consider it would be ASU's Superbowl and the SS Bert would possibly fold at the first nut punch from Anderson.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RME

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on October 26, 2017, 09:22:06 am
Hypothetically speaking, if the game was played in Fayetteville, what would the spread be?

Right now, the Hogs have the 84th best defense in the country, with the Red Wolves at 90th.
The Hogs have the 99th best offense in the country, with the Red Wolves at 21st.

If Vegas really set this game as a pick 'em, they'd have some balls. I doubt the general betting public would wager on Arkansas State over Arkansas in a pick 'em.

depressed_fan

in fayetteville hogs by 10 probably something like that

jkstock04

It would be pretty close. I would say -3 or maybe -3.5 Hogs.

If we would've been playing the Red Wolves last Thursday night instead of Layfayette I'm 99% certain we would've lost. They were clicking on all cylinders. Years like this are exactly why Frank Broyles set us up never to play them.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

East Clintwood

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 26, 2017, 10:07:43 am
It would be pretty close. I would say -3 or maybe -3.5 Hogs.

If we would've been playing the Red Wolves last Thursday night instead of Layfayette I'm 99% certain we would've lost. They were clicking on all cylinders. Years like this are exactly why Frank Broyles set us up never to play them.

Wow, do you really think that Frank, way back in the '60's, could foresee the day when Bert would be our coach?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jgphillips3

rljjr

Don't care about the line, but the Hogs would win going away.

Hogwild

Depends on where the game is being played.  Playing in Little Rock guessing it would be a pick'em, in Fayetteville thinking 3-4 point razorback favorite. 

Arkansas State is ranked 25 spots higher than the Razorbacks in CBS's poll.  The USA Today poll also has State ranked ahead of us, by not quite as much. 

Tick Hog

Have both teams play the same teams and those numbers would be much different. As bad as we are we're still 2 touchdowns better. And I live in NEA and pull for them as a 2 team lol

jkstock04

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 26, 2017, 10:11:28 am

Wow, do you really think that Frank, way back in the '60's, could foresee the day when Bert would be our coach?
I think he could forsee the odd flukish year when Arkansas State would match the Hogs and he didn't want any part of it...which is a major reason why we don't play them in my opinion.

We are a BAD football team this year. At this point arguably just as bad or worse than the 2013 team. This is the year Arkansas State would love nothing more than to play the Hogs.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

ASU lost 41-21 at SMU but almost upset Nebraska in Lincoln.

Arkansas is 65 in ESPN FPI.  ASU is 77. 

Arkansas would probably open as about a 10 point favorite in DWRRS, but that might come down a point or two before kickoff, depending upon Arkansas's QB situation.  Right now AA looks to be out.

Justice Hansen is the kind of RPO QB who gives Arkansas fits.  But DWRRS would be packed and rocking for this matchup.  A healthy Arkansas would be too much for ASU.  If the game were played this weekend ASU would have a shot.  About the same shot La Tech had last year.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogSlop84

userpick

This weekend at Fayetteville, Arkansas would be 6-7 point favorites. Figuring out the betting lines isn't very difficult. Beating them on the other hand....

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogwild on October 26, 2017, 10:19:08 am
Depends on where the game is being played.  Playing in Little Rock guessing it would be a pick'em, in Fayetteville thinking 3-4 point razorback favorite. 

Arkansas State is ranked 25 spots higher than the Razorbacks in CBS's poll.  The USA Today poll also has State ranked ahead of us, by not quite as much. 

Those polls are silly.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogcard1964

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

RME

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 26, 2017, 10:52:21 am
Ark St. -3 to -5

Somewhere in that area.

So you're saying Vegas absolutely loves to hemorrhage money?

MJ2

phadedhawg

I think we'd be favored but not by much.  I think we'd win though.  ASU would be so keyed up for the matchup, there's a decent chance they'd choke. 

Dropkick

ASU would not be favored. They haven't beaten a P5 team in ages. For all their chest thumping they have beaten only 2 teams in over 2 years that finished with a winning record. They feast on the dregs of the Sun Belt.

That being said they are probably closer to Arkansas in terms of talent than they ever have been.

Tusks

Think about it this way hog fans.  If you HAD to bet on the game, how many points would you give up before you said it's too expensive.

It may start out as high as -10  but most on here would take the hogs -8 or -9 on a home game with ASU.

Could you really see yourself betting ASU and only getting say +4?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

rhames

In the real world Arkansas would probably be a 10 to 13 point favorite.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

john123

Arkansas -2 neutral field, ark -5 home, ark st -1 at thier home

widespreadsooie

Hogs -7.5. There is no way in hell it would be below 3.5, or ASU being a favorite for that matter. Anything between 6 and 9 would be a realistic number Vegas could put on this hypothetical match up in Fay.

Cotton

Hogs -9.5 but I can see the game being much closer.

If it was at WMS I would see it at Hogs -3.5
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Kneph13

We should play them every year.  It is an epic fail that we don't.  I root for the UA, State, and UCA every year, regardless.  But as to the OP, UA -3
There is no Political Correctness in war

RME

Quote from: Kneph13 on October 26, 2017, 12:27:18 pm
We should play them every year.  It is an epic fail that we don't.  I root for the UA, State, and UCA every year, regardless.  But as to the OP, UA -3

What, OBU and Arkansas Tech are just chopped liver to you?

SPAL

Not many people here know much about betting lines.... Arkansas would open -7(110). 

RME

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 26, 2017, 12:37:06 pm
Not many people here know much about betting lines.... Arkansas would open -7(110).

It's incredible how so many think that Vegas setting a line at Arkansas -6 is the same as Vegas predicting Arkansas to win by 6.

Kneph13

There is no Political Correctness in war

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 26, 2017, 12:46:25 pm
It's incredible how so many think that Vegas setting a line at Arkansas -6 is the same as Vegas predicting Arkansas to win by 6.

yeah many think Vegas has an "interest" in who wins, they don't they are trying to make money.  That is victory.

instead of make i should have said "take" money as in yours, and anyone elses.

ipigsooie

They lost to Nebraska. That is almost as big of a trainwreck as UA. Id say the hogs by 7. Also SMU smoked astate. They cant beat p5 schools  (not that smu is a p5 school). Aren't they like 1 and 72 vs p5. Yeah the hogs stink but jonesboro st is a 1st grade bully up against 5th grade kids when it comes to real games. Id take the hogs and give you 10

smb

If we are matching coach against coach I might give the edge to the Red wolves. Hogs would lead first half then get beat in the second.
GeorgiaHOG

Hogwild

rzrbaxfan

Since Hugh Freeze started ASU on a nice little run of Sun Belt dominance, they have gone 13-21 out of conference...including 0-11 against P5 schools and 6-1 against FCS schools.  Their Sun Belt record is impressive, but when they step out of conference, the talent gap is glaring.

While I think that BB has lost this team, I think that there is still enough talent to beat a team like ASU similar to the way we beat NM St.

HogPharmer

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on October 26, 2017, 01:36:55 pm
Since Hugh Freeze started ASU on a nice little run of Sun Belt dominance, they have gone 13-21 out of conference...including 0-11 against P5 schools and 6-1 against FCS schools.  Their Sun Belt record is impressive, but when they step out of conference, the talent gap is glaring.

While I think that BB has lost this team, I think that there is still enough talent to beat a team like ASU similar to the way we beat NM St.

How many of those OOC games were they hired out as rent-a-wins though? Not defending their record, but that's a serious question. I am in no way an A State homer.... just curious.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Sivad

Don't know what the artificial pregame point spread would be -but if it didn't please the ASU segment - you can 100% guarantee they would blame it on the dastardly Frank Broyles who has kept them from national prominence all these years.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: HogPharmer on October 26, 2017, 01:38:48 pm
How many of those OOC games were they hired out as rent-a-wins though? Not defending their record, but that's a serious question. I am in no way an A State homer.... just curious.

I'd say nearly every game against a P5 school was considered a rent-a-win (most of them were against teams ranked at the time).  So are the 7 games ASU played against FCS schools.  Take those out and you are looking at 7-9 against teams from other G5 conferences (Toledo, Utah St, Memphis, etc).

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

El Puerco Grande

I like Jonesboro. Nice town. ASU is a decent Sun Belt team. If they were to play the Hogs every year, they might win once every decade. Maybe. Nothing personal against them. Just science.
How 'bout them hogs?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: El Puerco Grande on October 26, 2017, 01:46:44 pm
I like Jonesboro. Nice town. ASU is a decent Sun Belt team. If they were to play the Hogs every year, they might win once every decade. Maybe. Nothing personal against them. Just science.

Agree on all points.  ASU is recruiting a different kind of player than Arkansas is.  They're competitive at their level, and often win the conference, which is what they expect.  Arkansas' advantages over A-State are pretty considerable. 

Piggfoot

Hogs would be a 4.5 dog to Ark St.
Hogs are a 9.5 dog to Ole Miss
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

RME

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 26, 2017, 01:48:31 pm

Lol. No, they wouldn't.

Again. Lol. Gonna need a seriously legit link for that one. I'm seeing Ole Miss -3 to -4.

NaturalStateReb

Hard to imagine Hogs being a nearly 10 point dog this weekend.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 26, 2017, 01:48:31 pm

On the road. I know you dont think arkansas would ever play at jonesboro. Plus, we are talking about an sec school. Astate is a 4.5 favorite against nms. Hogs beat them by 18. I still think the spread would be 10 at fville.

HoggyCat

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 26, 2017, 09:37:36 am
If Vegas really set this game as a pick 'em, they'd have some balls. I doubt the general betting public would wager on Arkansas State over Arkansas in a pick 'em.

I would.  And would've most years since 2012.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Grizzlyfan

The whole point of this thread was a cute way for the OP to ask if Arkansas could beat Arkansas State if the game were played on Saturday.  I happen to think that realistically the game would be a toss up at this point.  But that doesn't mean that Vegas wouldn't set Arkansas as a 7+ point favorite. 

RME