Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Summer Collegiate Baseball Thread

Started by Kevin, June 08, 2017, 08:19:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

Koch catches the base runner stealing and throws the man out at 2nd.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Great show of patience by Koch for a walk.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Solid contact by Koch but he flies out to right field.

Might be his last at bat seeing that it is the bottom of the 7th.

Hopefully team USA will sub in another pitcher so that we can hold on for the win.

We are headed to the top of the 8th with team USA leading 8 to 6.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoofer

factchecker

July 01, 2017, 08:18:29 pm #106 Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:30:42 pm by factchecker
Quote from: hoofer on July 01, 2017, 08:11:02 pm
what in the world kind of update is this?

One that lets people who might have the game in the background know so that they can watch.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

https://twitter.com/USABaseballCNT/status/881325094097866753

Final Stats for Koch:

2 Hits (Double,Single)
1 Run
1 RBI
1 BB

Koch's one out was a fly out to right field.

He also threw out a baserunner.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

dsgreen

Saw Koch play for Team USA against Cuba in Durham but he didn't get a hit and they swapped catchers before his 3rd at bat in the 6th.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

yraciv

Northwoods updates:

Zack Plunkett - 83 pa, .471 OPS (hope Opitz is having a big spring)
Noah Miller - 24 ip, 5.1 ERA, 1.5 WHIP, but went 3-1 - Done for summer, with minor elbow injury
Eric Cole - 39 PA, .908 OPS, 2 sb in 2 attempts - left the team
Matt Burch - 41 PA, .522 OPS
Jacob Kostyshock - 10 IP, 2.7 ERA, .189 BAA, 1.5 WHIP - left the team
Anthony Dahl - 14 IP, .64 ERA, .192 BAA, .86 WHIP - left the team

Players of Interest
Parker Sanburn - 21 1/3 innings, 44 k's, .42 ERA - looks like he has finally developed some of big bro's pitches

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogwild04

PUF Capitalists‏ @pufcaps · Jul 8 

 More 

Stat leaders-
Williams (UofA): 2/3, 2 BB, R
Selma (Cal): 2/3, BB, R, 4 RBI
Bonnin (Ark): 3/3, BB, 3B, 4 R, RBI
Tawa (Stanford): 1/1, 2 RBI

Bonnin on a 3/3 night, hitting around .350 , has given up just 1 run and has ERA of 1.080 and ran it up to 96-97 mph, living at 94-95mph  looks to be playing left field and some 3rd along with being the closer, 4 saves.  has some control issues at times, but manages to get out of trouble. Be fun to see what a pitching coach at the college level can do for him, if he increases velo  just a bit, we could have a closer that hits triple digits if that is his role.

0 replies   4 retweets   

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogwild04 on July 10, 2017, 01:42:41 am
PUF Capitalists‏ @pufcaps · Jul 8 

 More 

Stat leaders-
Williams (UofA): 2/3, 2 BB, R
Selma (Cal): 2/3, BB, R, 4 RBI
Bonnin (Ark): 3/3, BB, 3B, 4 R, RBI
Tawa (Stanford): 1/1, 2 RBI

Bonnin on a 3/3 night, hitting around .350 , has given up just 1 run and has ERA of 1.080 and ran it up to 96-97 mph, living at 94-95mph  looks to be playing left field and some 3rd along with being the closer, 4 saves.  has some control issues at times, but manages to get out of trouble. Be fun to see what a pitching coach at the college level can do for him, if he increases velo  just a bit, we could have a closer that hits triple digits if that is his role.

0 replies   4 retweets
Fletcher hit about .300 out there last year if I remember correctly and we saw the type of year he just had.  Bonnin is also relatively new to pitching so you can imagine the type of ceiling he has there as well.  I think he is primed for a big career on the Hill.

hogwild04

Are any other in-coming freshman playing in a summer league?  Any news on any of them? 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hogwild04 on July 11, 2017, 10:27:49 am
Are any other in-coming freshman playing in a summer league?  Any news on any of them?

You mean other than Bonnin?  I haven't seen any reports on them if there are.  You first reported on him.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogwild04 on July 11, 2017, 10:27:49 am
Casey Opitz and Casey Martin are playing for the Midland Redskins this summer which is an elite summer league which Benny, McCann, and Cox all played on.

clarksville hog

California Collegiate League All-Star game is currently airing on Fox Southwest. Evan Lee is playing right field for North team, Dominic Fletcher is playing center field for South team.

clarksville hog

Lee went 1-3 with a single and run scored before being lifted in the 6th. Fletcher is 0-3 so far.

hogwild04

Looks like Arkansas's California Boy's did well.

Batting Average:

D.  Fletcher - .386
E. Lee .357
B. Bonnin .346

Pitching:

E. Lee  31 IP, 38ks. ERA 1.14
B. Bonnin  14.1 IP, 23Ks, ERA .648

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hogwild04 on July 30, 2017, 10:25:25 pm
Looks like Arkansas's California Boy's did well.

Batting Average:

D.  Fletcher - .386
E. Lee .357
B. Bonnin .346

Pitching:

E. Lee  31 IP, 38ks. ERA 1.14
B. Bonnin  14.1 IP, 23Ks, ERA .648

Geeze...awesome stats!  Does anyone have an idea of what the numbers out there compare to the SEC?  Like should I knock off .05 off of everyones batting average and assume that Lee and Bonnin will both be around .300 batters in the SEC next year?
SCREW Vandy!

bulldog04

Fletcher is the MVP of the California Collegiate League Tournament

WizardofhOgZ

hogwild04

Fletcher seems to get better and better, look for another huge All-American season , SEC MVP, and  College World Series MVP would be icing on the cake.  He may be over .400 this season, if he sees pitches,  I just hope he has the bats around him to force teams to pitch to him. I know if I'm coaching I'm not giving him anything to hit, unless the one in front of him and the 2 after him are legit threats and then I have to throw to him. I think we will have that, maybe not the over all power of the past, but think averages may be up and speed on the bases to allow him to bust it wide open.  What a season and summer for that young man.

bulldog04

Quote from: hogwild04 on August 01, 2017, 11:28:31 pm
Fletcher seems to get better and better, look for another huge All-American season , SEC MVP, and  College World Series MVP would be icing on the cake.  He may be over .400 this season, if he sees pitches,  I just hope he has the bats around him to force teams to pitch to him. I know if I'm coaching I'm not giving him anything to hit, unless the one in front of him and the 2 after him are legit threats and then I have to throw to him. I think we will have that, maybe not the over all power of the past, but think averages may be up and speed on the bases to allow him to bust it wide open.  What a season and summer for that young man.
The only thing I would like for him to change is his two strike approach

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hogs49ers on July 31, 2017, 12:52:25 am
Geeze...awesome stats!  Does anyone have an idea of what the numbers out there compare to the SEC?  Like should I knock off .05 off of everyones batting average and assume that Lee and Bonnin will both be around .300 batters in the SEC next year?
It really depends sometimes, but it seems like the stats from out in California roughly translate as Fletcher hit about .300 last year and hit over .290 for us while Spanberger showed big time power in Cali last summer.  It was one of the reasons why everyone was so high on Campbell last year too.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: ucahogfan on August 02, 2017, 07:51:15 pm
It really depends sometimes, but it seems like the stats from out in California roughly translate as Fletcher hit about .300 last year and hit over .290 for us while Spanberger showed big time power in Cali last summer.  It was one of the reasons why everyone was so high on Campbell last year too.

Thanks UCA!  That is kind of what I was thinking based off what Fletcher did for us after being out there.

This is incredible news for Hog fans if those three players carry over similar numbers for us!  Just thinking about this gets me extremely excited for next year based on what we already know we have in the lineup.

I honestly do not know how we are going to keep Bonnin out of the line up next year.  However, I also do not know who would have to drop out of the lineup...Good problems to have.  The more I think about it, the more I think that all players are going to be put on an extremely tight leash, and once they go into a slump, they will be replaced by someone fairly quickly.  Thoughts on doing this?
SCREW Vandy!

PintailKiller

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2017-california-collegiate-league-top-prospects/?utm_content=buffer36399&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

1. Dominic Fletcher, OF, Orange County, (So., Arkansas)

Coming out of Cypress (Calif.) High in 2016, Fletcher was ranked No. 206 in the BA Top 500. He went undrafted and attended Arkansas where he earned freshman All-American honors this spring. Fletcher followed a .291/.356/.495, 12-homer season at Arkansas by batting .358 for Orange County's championship-winning squad this summer. He is an above-average hitter and outfielder and has an above-average arm with some speed and power, as well. He hit six homers and stole eight bases for the Riptide. The biggest knock against him is his size. At 5-foot-9, 175 pounds he might not have as much room to grow as other prospects.

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."