Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Korth Handguns

Started by HawgWild, August 07, 2016, 08:18:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

August 07, 2016, 08:18:22 pm Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:53:15 pm by HawgWild
Any owners here? Are they worth the money? Had a write up in today's paper.

"Korth's Skyhawk is a 9mm, small-frame revolver designed for concealed carry, available with a 2-inch or 3-inch barrel with a starting price tag of $1,699. The Mongoose is chambered in .357 Magnum, will be available in 4-inch to 6-inch barrel lengths and sells for $3,499 out of the box. The Super Sport is also chambered in.357 Magnum, comes with a 6-inch barrel designed for competition or hunting and starts at $4,799."

theFlyingHog

It's hard to believe people pay that much for revolvers. I can't see how they're *that* much better than a S&W. I'm sure they're better, but not that better

kodiakisland

Well, I guess it depends on what you want.  Not speaking of Korth, but a $2500-$3000 Freedom Arms, Linebaugh, Reeder, Bowen, etc. are worth the money.  My current favorite revolver is a FA97 and will be sending a Ruger Blackhawk to Bowen before too long for some major work.

It used to be common to spend a month's or more salary for a gun.  The WalMart syndrome has greatly changed our perception of what is expensive.  Many people pay well over $10,000 for a rifle or shotgun, so a $5000 revolver shouldn't be too out of line.  Certainly more than I want to pay, but quality and custom touches cost more than the average assembly line product.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

theFlyingHog

When you put it like that I guess I can understand. If I had the money I'd get a really nice over and under. Course, a really nice O n U to me is a couple grand. I wanna kill ducks with it, not take it out of the felt lined box and stare at it with kid gloves on when I have guests over

tophawg19

i don't believe i ever saw a gun i'd pay 10 grand for . the off the shelf Remington 700 With a little trigger adjustment will shoot better than 90 %  of  the shooters are capable of . especially in the field . they will shoot under 1 inch MOA and most shooters can't reach that mark without a bench rest. I'm more interested in field accuracy and getting close to game anyway. And i like hunting in rough terrain so i don't worry about a scratch. on them.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

DOGALUM

different strokes for different folks.   

Question is....is it worth it to you?     
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

tophawg19

you summed it up well. the answer is no to a 5 or 10 grand gun. To me they are a tool to get the job done .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kodiakisland

August 12, 2016, 06:51:57 pm #7 Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:02:01 pm by kodiakisland
Quote from: tophawg19 on August 12, 2016, 09:20:43 am
i don't believe i ever saw a gun i'd pay 10 grand for . the off the shelf Remington 700 With a little trigger adjustment will shoot better than 90 %  of  the shooters are capable of . especially in the field . they will shoot under 1 inch MOA and most shooters can't reach that mark without a bench rest. I'm more interested in field accuracy and getting close to game anyway. And i like hunting in rough terrain so i don't worry about a scratch. on them.

That's just it.  To some, they are just a tool.  For others they are functional works of art.  While I can't afford fine guns, I most certainly appreciate them and understand the appeal.  The amount of time and effort that goes into hand fitting every single piece and all the extras you get on a custom gun take hundreds of hours to complete.  That labor is not cheap.  Many people that own them use them just as much or more than you use your guns.

I have nice guns and hunt hard.  I don't worry about scratches.  I guess it's like driving a Ferrari or a Taurus.  Both are perfectly adequate to drive the speed limit in just about any circumstance you can imagine.  Not everyone wants to drive a Taurus though.

Something everyone should do at least once is go to the Dallas Safari Club convention in January each year.  Might be a real eye opener as to what is out there.  It's always fun to kill some time with the gunsmiths from Rigby or H&H or some other similar gunmakers.  Handling a $100,000+ rifle is always a bit nerve racking.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 12, 2016, 12:21:38 am
When you put it like that I guess I can understand. If I had the money I'd get a really nice over and under. Course, a really nice O n U to me is a couple grand. I wanna kill ducks with it, not take it out of the felt lined box and stare at it with kid gloves on when I have guests over

It might surprise you how much a nice Krieghoff gets used.  The few people I know with those type O/U use them a lot and don't worry about wear and tear.  I guess they can just get them fixed or buy a new one.  I'd just like to upgrade my Citori with a Beretta 600 series.