Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fishing the Norfork River last weekend

Started by Grizzlyfan, March 28, 2016, 02:44:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

We were fishing with guides in the Norfork tailwater last weekend and every so often we would catch a rainbow that was much darker than the more typical rainbows, and the colors on the lateral line were brighter.  The guide said they were "river fish" meaning they were born in the river and had spent their entire lives in the river instead of being a stocker.  Anyway, the flesh on these "river fish" was pinkish salmon colored like a salmon, compared to the white flesh on the stockers.  That meat was much tastier than the white flesh of the stockers.

Anyone else noticed this?

jrulz83

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 28, 2016, 02:44:37 pm
We were fishing with guides in the Norfork tailwater last weekend and every so often we would catch a rainbow that was much darker than the more typical rainbows, and the colors on the lateral line were brighter.  The guide said they were "river fish" meaning they were born in the river and had spent their entire lives in the river instead of being a stocker.  Anyway, the flesh on these "river fish" was pinkish salmon colored like a salmon, compared to the white flesh on the stockers.  That meat was much tastier than the white flesh of the stockers.

I've eaten many a wild trout on backpacking trips on the waters of the Rockies, they're not anything like stocked trout when it comes to table fare. Wild trout are much firmer and far more flavorful. It's kind of like the difference between an oven-warm, gooey homemade brownie and a one day before expiration date Little Debbie sitting in the sun on a gas station shelf. They're both edible, but which one would you pick given a choice?

I don't really care for the trout stocking program in Arkansas, but I buy my trout stamp nearly every year and occasionally "fish" for the chickens of the river. I know why they do it, and I get it, but in my opinion some smallmouth fisheries have been adversely affected by trout stockings; the upper Little Missouri River for one. Most people don't really care about catching creek smallmouth though so I'm likely way in the minority there. For me, there's nothing more fun than catching wild smallmouth on light line in the creeks or rivers of the Ozarks or Ouachitas.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 28, 2016, 02:44:37 pm

We catch one below Beaver or Bull every once in a while - you can tell they've been in the river for some time, as they are much more aggressive on the bite and are usually better fighters. If possible, we release them, and hang on to the noobs. Granted, native rainbows are typically meatier and tastier, but I feel like they've earned a reprieve, after dodging 10,000 schmucks, and a jillion browns, to get to a catchable brood size. They are a pretty fish too.

RazorWhacker

What I was told is the trout that have lived in the river for a long time (whether they were hatched in the river or not, I'm not sure. Someone once told me they don't reproduce naturally there) turn that pinkish color from eating crawfish for a good bit of their lives. Made sense to me. We certainly have caught a lot of them on a plastic craw bait.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 28, 2016, 03:33:12 pm
I've eaten many a wild trout on backpacking trips on the waters of the Rockies, they're not anything like stocked trout when it comes to table fare. Wild trout are much firmer and far more flavorful. It's kind of like the difference between an oven-warm, gooey homemade brownie and a one day before expiration date Little Debbie sitting in the sun on a gas station shelf. They're both edible, but which one would you pick given a choice?

I don't really care for the trout stocking program in Arkansas, but I buy my trout stamp nearly every year and occasionally "fish" for the chickens of the river. I know why they do it, and I get it, but in my opinion some smallmouth fisheries have been adversely affected by trout stockings; the upper Little Missouri River for one. Most people don't really care about catching creek smallmouth though so I'm likely way in the minority there. For me, there's nothing more fun than catching wild smallmouth on light line in the creeks or rivers of the Ozarks or Ouachitas.
I prefer this to trout any day of the week.  I can take my medium-light and 2 lbs test and be out all day if the bite is there.  This weekend, I am thinking about converting the tippet on my fly rod to 2 lbs test and taking that to the creek.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jrulz83

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on June 30, 2016, 04:49:16 pm
I prefer this to trout any day of the week.  I can take my medium-light and 2 lbs test and be out all day if the bite is there.  This weekend, I am thinking about converting the tippet on my fly rod to 2 lbs test and taking that to the creek.

There's nothing that I've personally seen in the world of sportfishing that beats fighting a 12" creek smallmouth on an ultralight or fly rod. Well a 15" smallmouth beats it.... :)

I have caught many a trout in my day and have enjoyed every one that I caught. All things being equal, I'm headed to the smallmouth creek.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.