Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shotguns

Started by pick_DA_EAGLES, December 30, 2015, 11:07:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pick_DA_EAGLES

I'm thinking about getting a new duck gun. I like the look and feel of the remington versa max waterfowl pro,  but I've heard lots of bad things about the versa max and very little good.  It kinda has me "gun shy" to actually buy it. A friend of mine works in the gun department at Macks and he recommended the winchester sx3, so that is my other choice. Anyone have dealing with either of these guns?

theFlyingHog

I don't know those guns. But I do know that the Remington 870 is the best gun ever made, AK-47 be darned. I know it's not sexy or hip and you have to pump it every time you pull the trigger but the dang thing works every time and you can't break it

tophawg19

i have a browning gold and a benelli and my brothers 870 rem. out shoots both of them. for serious hunting it's the 870 . if it gets hot , shove it under water and shoot some more . many guides use them for that reason . i thought they were crazy but it works
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

theFlyingHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 31, 2015, 09:03:20 pm
i have a browning gold and a benelli and my brothers 870 rem. out shoots both of them. for serious hunting it's the 870 . if it gets hot , shove it under water and shoot some more . many guides use them for that reason . i thought they were crazy but it works
My dad has had an 870 Wingmaster for longer than I've been alive(30+). He let me use it for a few years, even put a youth stock on it for me when I was 12, killin-ist gun ever. I break it all the way down and clean it once a month just to get my hands on it. The action is smoother than hot butter

pick_DA_EAGLES

I've got a 870 super magnum special purpose turkey gun, I've had since 98 I think and I love it.  I just want an auto for duck hunting.

ricepig

I've shot a Benelli Super Eagle for 10+ years, I've never had it jam or not shoot. It's been a great gun, I uses it bird hunting in Texas, too. The other day my youngest was hunting and his 20ga wasn't shooting, he used the guide's Baretta Xtreme Max, very nice gun, too.

IronHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 31, 2015, 09:03:20 pm

Guides use an 870 because it's basically a walking stick that shoots.....who cares if a client needs to shoot it, it doesn't get cleaned, etc.

For a guy wanting a good shotgun that's actually fun to shoot any of the Gen 3or4 autos from the B's are good.  Pick the one that fits you best.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: IronHog on January 01, 2016, 02:52:30 pm

Guides use an 870 because it's basically a walking stick that shoots.....who cares if a client needs to shoot it, it doesn't get cleaned, etc.

For a guy wanting a good shotgun that's actually fun to shoot any of the Gen 3or4 autos from the B's are good.  Pick the one that fits you best.
Define "good shotgun" and "fun to shoot" please.

grayhawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 02, 2016, 07:10:49 pm
When talking abut the 870, he just forgot to add and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots some more.

IronHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 02, 2016, 07:10:49 pm

An 870 handles and shoots like what it is......basically a walking stick or boat paddle that doubles as a shotgun.

Got one.  Use it a lot.......to save abuse off the B shotguns.

tophawg19

actually they handle really well and out shoot the others . those 870's don't fail , that is why the guides use them. they take abuse few others will and still do the job at a high level

grayhawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 02, 2016, 09:09:57 pm
actually they handle really well and out shoot the others . those 870's don't fail , that is why the guides use them. they take abuse few others will and still do the job at a high level
Some people think if a gun is not overpriced it's not any good.

tophawg19

that about sums it up. they ain't pretty but they damn sure get the job done

IronHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 02, 2016, 09:09:57 pm

Guides use 870's because they cheap, tough,  and their guns get abused.

If your guide is shooting your limit for you he ain't much guide.

IronHog

If you got to guide at a real swanky green timber type camp an over/under would be the ticket.

Break it open for safety.....two chokes for shooting cripples.

grayhawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 02, 2016, 09:26:37 pm
If you got to guide at a real swanky green timber type camp an over/under would be the ticket.

Break it open for safety.....two chokes for shooting cripples.
;)

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: IronHog on January 02, 2016, 09:03:18 pm

An 870 handles and shoots like what it is......basically a walking stick or boat paddle that doubles as a shotgun.

Got one.  Use it a lot.......to save abuse off the B shotguns.

What is a "B" shotgun? Beretta, browning or benelli?

IronHog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on January 03, 2016, 02:31:25 pm
What is a "B" shotgun? Beretta, browning or benelli?

B's are any of those three.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2016, 02:36:12 pm

B's are any of those three.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

theFlyingHog

Some people spend $180 for a dozen decoys and have fancy light bars and interior lights on their boats

IronHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 03, 2016, 05:32:53 pm
Some people spend $180 for a dozen decoys and have fancy light bars and interior lights on their boats

Cheap gun is like an ugly women.

Any of em will kill but one is a better way to go.

grayhawg

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2016, 05:43:36 pm

Cheap gun is like an ugly women.

Any of em will kill but one is a better way to go.

I've got a couple b guns, that I keep cleaned and show people but if I am going hunting I take my 870 or my bow.

HogCard

Just bought me a new Franchi Affinity from Bud's Gun Shop.  Did the "make an offer" thing and got about $50 off.  Saved about $100 from buying at Cabelas. 

DeltaBoy

I am with Iron Hog just get a old 870 and fill your limit.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

grayhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 12, 2016, 11:38:38 am
Iron Hog only likes shotguns that begin with B, 870 are boat paddles or clubs that shoot.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 12, 2016, 11:38:38 am

I have an older 870 sps-t super magnum I'm using now

IronHog

Quote from: grayhawg on January 12, 2016, 12:10:27 pm
Iron Hog only likes shotguns that begin with B, 870 are boat paddles or clubs that shoot.

Used one all weekend.

Actually froze Sunday morning.  It 'twas cold

DeltaBoy

Before they ruined Duck Hunting with non lead shot I killed plenty with my 870. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Junkyard Hog

Got a new Browning Maxus last year.  I love it so far.

Tigerloather

I don't have any dealings with the X3, but have shot thousands of rounds through my X2 over the last 15 or so years.  I couldn't be happier with it.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

IronHog

Quote from: Tigerloather on January 14, 2016, 08:33:03 pm
I don't have any dealings with the X3, but have shot thousands of rounds through my X2 over the last 15 or so years.  I couldn't be happier with it.

X3 is just a different packaged gun based off browning gold technology.  Good stuff.

IronHog

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on January 14, 2016, 12:56:06 pm
Got a new Browning Maxus last year.  I love it so far.

Handles and shoots almost like a 20

pigture perfect

Mossburg 835 is a fine shotgun for waterfowl as well. Won't cost an arm and a leg either.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

tophawg19

i still like getting out the old Remington model 11 16 gauge . it's lighter , so i carry it if walking far. kind of fun to use the old guns like grandpa did

IronHog

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 14, 2016, 08:50:55 pm
Mossburg 835 is a fine shotgun for waterfowl as well. Won't cost an arm and a leg either.
m

It might knock your arm off though.

Great gun. Notorious hard recoil.

tophawg19

mossburg had a history of the stock being to straight . the shock transfers straight back instead of kicking up. your shoulder takes the full recoil

Tigerloather

Quote from: IronHog on January 14, 2016, 08:44:10 pm
X3 is just a different packaged gun based off browning gold technology.  Good stuff.
Right after I got my X2, I lost a spring out of the trigger assembly while cleaning it.  It was shipped to Browning for repairs.  I had just bought a case of 3 1/2" steel for the upcoming season and ended up having to shoot my Mossberg 835 for a couple of weeks.  My shoulder sure was happy to get the X2 back!

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 14, 2016, 08:50:52 pm
i still like getting out the old Remington model 11 16 gauge . it's lighter , so i carry it if walking far. kind of fun to use the old guns like grandpa did

I still have not gotten grandpas from my dad yet.  I really want to tear it down and restore the wood on it.

talley

If you want a semi auto that is cheap I'd look at a stoeger.... Mine shoots every time and doesn't get cleaned much during duck season...

onebadrubi

I have an 11-87 that is now a back-up and my main gun is a Benelli SBE-II. 

I love my SBE-11, very smooth inertia driven system.  If kick is a consideration it is one of the harder kicking 12 guage auto's, but probably still less than an 870.  I personally don't even recognize it but some people are different. 

When I was buying my SBE I was looking at the versa max, but too many respected gun people told me they had issues but were "fixing" them.  But that tells me to stay away until they are trully fixed and done.  So I ruled that one out! 

The winchest SX3 is a great gun from all I have heard.  It is a Browning product however if that matters to you.  It is basically winchester for one reason or another going to browning to manufacture a product, take that as you may to mean whatever you want.  Profitability, mnfg capacity, or quality control.  I don't know the answer though. 

I resorted back too the tried and true method that just so happened to have a nice sell at the time, the SBE-II.  Berretta was another one in the consideration but was just priced higher, it is also a fine gun. 

something I was told, but not positive on, is the 870's these days are not made in the same place as the old tried and true ones.  Remington has had to lower the mnfg cost tremendously on these for the box stores in which the expected dependability and toughness has fallen due to this.  But, I can't speak for that first hand.  I still own an older 870 and won't ever let it go.  Just not sure I would buy a new one expecting it to match up to the older 870. 

If money is a leading point, look at Franchi, it is made by Benelli and their semi-auto is identical to the SBE-II and even comes in different camo patterns. 

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: talley on January 15, 2016, 09:08:56 am
If you want a semi auto that is cheap I'd look at a stoeger.... Mine shoots every time and doesn't get cleaned much during duck season...

I know someone with one of those, he had it less than a month and the camo is coming off.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 15, 2016, 10:24:07 am
I have an 11-87 that is now a back-up and my main gun is a Benelli SBE-II. 

I love my SBE-11, very smooth inertia driven system.  If kick is a consideration it is one of the harder kicking 12 guage auto's, but probably still less than an 870.  I personally don't even recognize it but some people are different. 

When I was buying my SBE I was looking at the versa max, but too many respected gun people told me they had issues but were "fixing" them.  But that tells me to stay away until they are trully fixed and done.  So I ruled that one out! 

The winchest SX3 is a great gun from all I have heard.  It is a Browning product however if that matters to you.  It is basically winchester for one reason or another going to browning to manufacture a product, take that as you may to mean whatever you want.  Profitability, mnfg capacity, or quality control.  I don't know the answer though. 

I resorted back too the tried and true method that just so happened to have a nice sell at the time, the SBE-II.  Berretta was another one in the consideration but was just priced higher, it is also a fine gun. 

something I was told, but not positive on, is the 870's these days are not made in the same place as the old tried and true ones.  Remington has had to lower the mnfg cost tremendously on these for the box stores in which the expected dependability and toughness has fallen due to this.  But, I can't speak for that first hand.  I still own an older 870 and won't ever let it go.  Just not sure I would buy a new one expecting it to match up to the older 870. 

If money is a leading point, look at Franchi, it is made by Benelli and their semi-auto is identical to the SBE-II and even comes in different camo patterns.
As far as the cheaper 870s, I currently shoot a plastic one I got from Walmart 5 or 6 yrs ago. We have 5 870s that I break all the way down and clean several times a year and I can't tell any difference in the components in my new one and the 30+yr ones. My dad's Wingmaster has a 30" barrel and it kills ducks better than my newer 26".

DeltaBoy

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 15, 2016, 02:15:34 pm
As far as the cheaper 870s, I currently shoot a plastic one I got from Walmart 5 or 6 yrs ago. We have 5 870s that I break all the way down and clean several times a year and I can't tell any difference in the components in my new one and the 30+yr ones. My dad's Wingmaster has a 30" barrel and it kills ducks better than my newer 26".

Longer sight radius and a ole school full choke.

talley

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on January 15, 2016, 12:32:41 pm
I know someone with one of those, he had it less than a month and the camo is coming off.

Really? I've never had any problems out of mine....I hate that for him

HogimusMaximus

Benellis are overrated, by American.

ricepig

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on January 16, 2016, 10:28:46 am

Who's American, I've never heard them rate shotguns.

IronHog

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on January 16, 2016, 10:28:46 am

Like Winchester?

Owned by Herstal group from Belgium.

IronHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 15, 2016, 02:15:34 pm

I agree that longer barrels are better.

I know the experts say the new short barrels are the same but shooting cripples in the field says different.....

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 16, 2016, 07:04:11 pm

I agree that longer barrels are better.

I know the experts say the new short barrels are the same but shooting cripples in the field says different.....

Cripples??

IronHog