Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Basketball going through a change

Started by labb, March 25, 2018, 08:43:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

I think we are about to see how basketball teams are manned change...I think we will see teams made up of 4 guard types that can hit the three and put the ball on the floor and drive to the paint and one rim protector.Not so much of the small forward and the power forward types. The three has really changed the game.

Pigasaurus

It's been educational watching how the best teams in the country attack a zone defense.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

husker71

like the wishbone was in the 70s some coaches will figure out how to slow it down.  Long lengthy defenders who can switch if playing man to man would be my guess. If in a zone you are still looking for those types of ballplayers.  If they can shoot the 3 like stretch 4s in the NBA so much the better.

311Hog

guards guards everywhere as far as the eye can see

GoHogs1091

Yes, there is change occurring.

It going to more of an emphasis on Guards who can shoot and who can also rebound.

Villanova and Kansas are showing the advantages of Guards who can shoot and who can also rebound.

hogsanity

Which also means pressing/pressure D will be even less effective with even more ball handlers an shooters on the floor.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Well, the Hogs are going to have 8 guards with plenty of length and athleticism next year. They will be very young but I expect them to be quite scrappy. Should be well equipped to match teams that want to put four guards on the floor.

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 26, 2018, 08:31:28 am
Well, the Hogs are going to have 8 guards with plenty of length and athleticism next year. They will be very young but I expect them to be quite scrappy. Should be well equipped to match teams that want to put four guards on the floor.

Can they guard without fouling, and will they be able to stop the ball from going into the paint and then being kicked for a open 3 will be the questions on defense. And will they be able to score on offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2018, 08:24:57 am
Which also means pressing/pressure D will be even less effective with even more ball handlers an shooters on the floor.

Absolutely.

Anderson seems to be recruiting in this way now considering the lack of bigs and emphasis on guards and wings in recruiting right now.....but it probably won't mean much if the style of attack isn't changed. Butler wasn't a very big team and they beat our ass. LSU wasn't a very good team but they beat our ass twice because we couldn't handle Waters. He's got to change the defensive emphasis.

Hawgndaaz

Steph Currey effect.

Every kid practices 25ft shots daily now.

southwesthawg

I was getting info from players for a high school All-star game.  Over half the kids told me their position was point guard.

Kevin

all players are working on their dribbling & shooting now.  unlike, the days, when a player was put in the low post, and not taught other skills.

space the floor with skill players, that is today's basketball
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

You need guards that can penetrate, and big men that can shoot. That's a difficult setup to defend.

parallaxpig

Quote from: labb on March 25, 2018, 08:43:06 pm
I think we are about to see how basketball teams are manned change...I think we will see teams made up of 4 guard types that can hit the three and put the ball on the floor and drive to the paint and one rim protector.Not so much of the small forward and the power forward types. The three has really changed the game.

I believe there is a proposal to move 3 pt line back a foot.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Paul

Quote from: pigasaurus on March 25, 2018, 09:09:38 pm
It's been educational watching how the best teams in the country attack a zone defense.
yeah. I've enjoyed watching good basketball

hogsanity

Quote from: parallaxpig on March 26, 2018, 12:30:40 pm

I believe there is a proposal to move 3 pt line back a foot.

Aren't they using that distance in the NIT?