Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do Chad and Brent feel like they were the reason Clemson rose to power?

Started by mj4president, December 30, 2017, 05:13:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

If he does come here, it seems as it was be a middle finger to Dabo as in "we were the glue, you were just the guy at the right time" type deal.

I could see them wanting to show out and prove they could do it elsewhere and maybe why Coach Chad Morris has kept mentioning Clemson.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Dr. Starcs

King Kong

Coondog Hog

I'll be glad when our coaches are announced so we can move past this silly Venables talk and Hammer Down with coaches that really want to work here.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

NuttinItUp

Dabo was pretty bad at Clemson until Morris arrived as OC. He kind of saved Dabo's job.

TexHog188

To answer the OP, yes.  I think CCM is justified in knowing that he played a huge roll in getting Clemson where they are, and CBV as well.  Clemson was average and underachieving until they got there.  CDS probably is fired within two years without those hires.  Give CDS credit though for seeing the weakness and addressing it with a solid, albeit risky hire of CCM and also CBV.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: mj4president on December 30, 2017, 05:13:31 pm
If he does come here, it seems as it was be a middle finger to Dabo as in "we were the glue, you were just the guy at the right time" type deal.

I could see them wanting to show out and prove they could do it elsewhere and maybe why Coach Chad Morris has kept mentioning Clemson.

This is what daydreaming will get you... Well, unless you're an Einstein, Tesla or Edison. Regular tools like us just get older.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MtPorker

didn't his son sign to play lb at Clemson?  I don't see cbv leaving.

lumphog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 30, 2017, 06:30:17 pm
This is what daydreaming will get you... Well, unless you're an Einstein, Tesla or Edison. Regular tools like us just get older.
I've got an old tool , but it still works

Flrazrback

Head Coach is just like CEO of a business. Your in charge and you hire the best people you can find/afford to surround you. Dabo wasn't fielding a championship team back when CM and BV arrived, the magic happened when they put thier stamps on the program. Coach Swinney is a great coach, not discounting his ability or crafts, but the program advanced due to his OC and DC hires. Coach Morris is looking to duplicate the formula that has Clemson playing Championship caliber football. He has a very good chance to do so IMO

redeye

Quote from: Flrazrback on December 31, 2017, 12:26:04 am
Head Coach is just like CEO of a business. Your in charge and you hire the best people you can find/afford to surround you. Dabo wasn't fielding a championship team back when CM and BV arrived, the magic happened when they put thier stamps on the program. Coach Swinney is a great coach, not discounting his ability or crafts, but the program advanced due to his OC and DC hires. Coach Morris is looking to duplicate the formula that has Clemson playing Championship caliber football. He has a very good chance to do so IMO

From what I've read from Clemson fans, this is a good analysis.  Dabo struggled until he hired Morris, who helped bring Venables.  Clemson's offense improved drastically with Morris, as did their defense with Venables.

But like Flrazrback said, Dabo is the CEO.  He made those hires, and then when Morris left, he made the decision to promote Morris' underlings, rather than bring in a new OC and switch to a different offense.  So even though Morris and Venables appear to be directly responsible for Clemson's success, you still have to give credit to Dabo for putting it together and then holding it together after Morris left.

I also think that Clemson invested in Dabo and gave him what he needed to turn things around, so some credit also should go to Clemson's PTB's.  Venables salary is an example of this.

Scott7703

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 30, 2017, 05:25:36 pm
Dabo was pretty bad at Clemson until Morris arrived as OC. He kind of saved Dabo's job.

100% the truth. Dabo was on his way to being shown the door until he hired Morris.

MAGA45

Quote from: mj4president on December 30, 2017, 05:13:31 pm

You're a real Manimal when it comes to starting threads.
Fake News

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 30, 2017, 05:25:36 pm
Sounds like Dabo saved his own job by hiring a great OC. Clemson is 40-3 since Chad left I don't think Dabo is missing him much. There's no doubt that Chad helped turn it around though.

Jek Tono Porkins

I think it's interesting that once Morris left, Dabo simply promoted the WR and RB coaches to co-Oc's and they've stuck with that formula ever since. I think that's an endorsement of Morris' system. Dabo didn't feel the need to bring in another OC, they just stuck with Morris' formula and are to the point where they can recruit the caliber of athletes that they need to get away with it. If he felt like Morris' formula wasn't working he certainly had/has the means to bring in a big name OC.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

RazorPiggie

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 31, 2017, 12:25:04 pm
Sounds like Dabo saved his own job by hiring a great OC. Clemson is 40-3 since Chad left I don't think Dabo is missing him much. There's no doubt that Chad helped turn it around though.

True. Like the old saying goes: Great leaders surround themselves with people that are smarter (or better) than they are.

I do think CM being there started a positive feedback loop. (play better --> recruit better --> play better --> etc..)  It continued on after he left. Hopefully he can start that sort of feedback loop here.

Freebrd

I don't know about Brent, but I believe Chad does.  The article in the sunday paper was pretty good.  dabo said that he had 70% of what he wanted to do on offense and Chad brought in 30%, so dabo didn't give chad ALL the credit.
But what I find amazing is Chad hardly mentions his 'accomplishments' as a head coach-everything goes back to Clemson.  Chad spent 1 year as OC at Tulsa and then was at Clemson 1 year before interviewing for the Texas Tech job in his 2nd year at Clemson.  Back to my point, Chad spent 4 years as OC at Clemson and 3 years as HC at SMU-a similar amount of time but yet his accomplishments are not mentioned while HC, only while OC.  I rather hear what one has done in similar situation, i.e. HC=HC, not OC=HC.
Yes, I am supporting Coach Morris with my last week's donation to the Razorback Foundation and then will purchase my tickets when available in the spring, both of which I have done since 1975.

HotlantaHog

When Dabo was hired I thought he was a glorified cheerleader like Houston Nutt. He could give a good motivational talk but could he coach?

The difference is Dabo has surrounded himself with elite assistant coaches and wants to give the glory to them and has players. Imagine what a Houston Nutt could have done if he were humble and wanting to give the credit to others.

Brent is not leaving and his kid just signed with Clemson. But Dabo will be fine regardless. He can identify talent and attract talent.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 31, 2017, 01:06:53 pm
I think it's interesting that once Morris left, Dabo simply promoted the WR and RB coaches to co-Oc's and they've stuck with that formula ever since. I think that's an endorsement of Morris' system. Dabo didn't feel the need to bring in another OC, they just stuck with Morris' formula and are to the point where they can recruit the caliber of athletes that they need to get away with it. If he felt like Morris' formula wasn't working he certainly had/has the means to bring in a big name OC.

The offense that Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott are utilizing at Clemson is not exactly the same as the offense Morris utilized when he was at Clemson.  Scott and Elliott utilize more power running concepts than did Morris, and also Scott and Elliott don't abandon the run like Morris would in big games.  It also should be noted that Scott and Elliott are not using as much pre-snap motion as Morris.  The Scott and Elliott offense is more balanced than Morris' Clemson offense.

Regarding Venables, it has basically gotten to the point that the only way to have a chance to solve a Venables' defense requires either a Heisman type QB or a Heisman type RB.  It has gotten to that point just to have a chance of success, but that does not guarantee success against Venables' defense.  Oklahoma has a Heisman type QB, and when Venables faced him Venables' defense shut him out for an entire 2nd Half.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400852733

Swinney probably won't publicly admit it, but he knows that he will have an uphill time if he ever loses Venables.  Clemson had just given up 70 points in a game against West Virginia right before Swinney hired Venables, and ever since he was hired by Swinney Venables has been a game changer for the Clemson football program (in regards to the level of their defensive recruiting and the level of their defensive play during Venables' Clemson tenure).

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Flrazrback on December 31, 2017, 12:26:04 am

And all CM has to do is recruit like Clemson to get to championship caliber.  I doubt he will, but I do expect he will improve the program measurably.  He's a promising hire. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15