Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris - Team Nutrition

Started by twistitup, December 30, 2017, 03:29:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Is he bringing the team nutritionist from SMU, retaining the one CBB used or hiring the best in the country. I'm a fan of total focus on team nutrition and I think this is ONE of the reasons we could not finish games in the 4th qtr - we didn't have the proper diet to finish strong.

Imho, I don't think CBB took team nutrition (or his own) as seriously as he should have - I hope CCM takes it to the next level.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

theFlyingHog

4th quarter woes was all between our ears. That and conditioning. Not running gassers and no two-a-days

;)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on December 30, 2017, 03:29:37 pm
Is he bringing the team nutritionist from SMU, retaining the one CBB used or hiring the best in the country. I'm a fan of total focus on team nutrition and I think this is ONE of the reasons we could not finish games in the 4th qtr - we didn't have the proper diet to finish strong.

Imho, I don't think CBB took team nutrition (or his own) as seriously as he should have - I hope CCM takes it to the next level.
While I obviously can't speak or comment as to the TEAM'S nutritional situation, I believe we can ALL say without argument that Bret's dietary situation was miserable.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 30, 2017, 03:32:36 pm
While I obviously can't speak or comment as to the TEAM'S nutritional situation, I believe we can ALL say without argument that Bret's dietary situation was miserable.
Do you feel better now? Can we move on?

twistitup

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 30, 2017, 03:36:02 pm

We can....do you think 4th qtr issues were due, in part, to not focusing enough on team nutrition and calories needed to finish games?

From Tusk Till Dawn

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/sep/12/new-and-improved/

FAYETTEVILLE — Alex Collins never paid quite as much attention in high school to his diet and sleeping habits as he did his performance on the football field.

Thanks to the constant needling of coach Bret Bielema, the Razorbacks' running back appears to have finally found a balance between his off- and on-the-field preparations — much to the dismay of opposing defenses.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: twistitup on December 30, 2017, 03:38:33 pm
We can....do you think 4th qtr issues were due, in part, to not focusing enough on team nutrition and calories needed to finish games?
I do not know and will never know so im not worried about it. I do think, as I said above, that our problems have been mostly mental and partially lack of conditioning

twistitup

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 30, 2017, 03:38:48 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/sep/12/new-and-improved/

FAYETTEVILLE — Alex Collins never paid quite as much attention in high school to his diet and sleeping habits as he did his performance on the football field.

Thanks to the constant needling of coach Bret Bielema, the Razorbacks' running back appears to have finally found a balance between his off- and on-the-field preparations — much to the dismay of opposing defenses.

Collins: "I now eat breakfast, lunch and dinner," Collins said. "That's a big part of it, and that's basically it. Just doing everything the right way, going to workouts, working hard and eating after that because it would be waste if you're working out and burning all the energy and not replacing it with a good meal."

I'm not talking about eating 3 damn meals a day - I'm talking about specialized diets. Get real....bama has a team chefs cooking up specific players custom meals and we are bragging about just getting 3 a day

Cambridge Hog

lets go full vegan

would be a great story. imagine what the other team feels when the get beat by 'the vegans'.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on December 30, 2017, 03:51:07 pm
lets go full vegan

would be a great story. imagine what the other team feels when the get beat by 'the vegans'.

I read an article sometime in the past couple of years that one of the Hog DBs is a vegan.  Can't remember which one.

I might try converting to being a vegan.  If it weren't for chocolate milk and bacon.

SooieGeneris

author=theFlyingHog link=topic=654771.msg11297128#msg11297128 date=1514669514]
4th quarter woes was all between our ears. That and conditioning. Not running gassers and no two-a-days
[quote

No two a days was not the staff, NCAA mandated. Having said that, the team was definitely not in good enough condition, most of our opponents were making up for that rule change, we sadly, did not.

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

SooieGeneris

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 30, 2017, 03:58:26 pm
I read an article sometime in the past couple of years that one of the Hog DBs is a vegan. Can't remember which one.

I might try converting to being a vegan.  If it weren't for chocolate milk and bacon.

Deon Edwards, redshirted last season. Supposed to be a big hitter, we'll see.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Vantage 8 dude

Yeah, I feel GREAT!!!! Thanks for asking though. So there you go...and moved on long ago.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: twistitup on December 30, 2017, 03:41:20 pm
Collins: "I now eat breakfast, lunch and dinner," Collins said. "That's a big part of it, and that's basically it. Just doing everything the right way, going to workouts, working hard and eating after that because it would be waste if you're working out and burning all the energy and not replacing it with a good meal."

I'm not talking about eating 3 damn meals a day - I'm talking about specialized diets. Get real....bama has a team chefs cooking up specific players custom meals and we are bragging about just getting 3 a day
Geez, lighten up.  I posted the article because CBB talked about this type stuff from time to time.  I was showing the other side, not trying to be a jerk.  I also worked with someone whose son was a player and spoke of their meal plan.  What do you think they eat for those meals, pop tarts and CeCe's pizza?  You post all the time so I know you are knowledgeable, maybe instead of telling me to get real you should look more into our meal plan and less into Bama's. 

Here's another decent article:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/razorback-football-player-meals/amp

NuttinItUp

There are apparently a higher percentage of vegetarians among pro athletes than the general population, by quite a bit.

I tried going vegetarian once but meat just tastes too dang good. I have high hopes for the "Impossible Burger" that has been getting lots of press lately, though.

Cambridge Hog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 30, 2017, 03:58:26 pm
I read an article sometime in the past couple of years that one of the Hog DBs is a vegan.  Can't remember which one.

it's actually gaining popularity in the NBA.

obviously would be tough on linemen.....

Paul

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 30, 2017, 04:09:57 pm
There are apparently a higher percentage of vegetarians among pro athletes than the general population, by quite a bit.

I tried going vegetarian once but meat just tastes too dang good. I have high hopes for the "Impossible Burger" that has been getting lots of press lately, though.
it tastes great & a lot like beef

Peter Porker

What was our players' nutrition under Bielema or are you doing like every other poster and throwing crap against a wall?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Cinco de Hogo

Well you can't, you just ran out of gas.  LOL!

Cinco de Hogo

Make be instead of making fun of the OP and asking him to go into detail about the former staffs nutritional plan you should explain why we seemed to run out of gas and have 2nd half meltdowns.  Or maybe you should just say CCM had this covered since you obviously don't know darn.

MORAZOR

QuoteNot running gassers and no two-a-days
You do realize two-a-days were phases out per NCAA this year?

Ash

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 30, 2017, 04:07:15 pm
Geez, lighten up.  I posted the article because CBB talked about this type stuff from time to time.  I was showing the other side, not trying to be a jerk.  I also worked with someone whose son was a player and spoke of their meal plan.  What do you think they eat for those meals, pop tarts and CeCe’s pizza?  You post all the time so I know you are knowledgeable, maybe instead of telling me to get real you should look more into our meal plan and less into Bama’s. 

Here’s another decent article:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/razorback-football-player-meals/amp

Thanks for that link. Actually a pretty solid diet plan for an athlete.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MORAZOR on December 30, 2017, 05:04:16 pm

Ask Nick Saban how he works around that rule because I would bet he has found a way.  Maybe analysts numbers 38,39 and 40 who are not in the staff but are getting a free education from some unidentifiable source is running it.  Ten years from now they will be making 1.5 mil as part of his staff and in fifteen they will be making 7 mil as a newly minted head coach.

jcbville

Feed the weakest to the strong and it will motivate the others. —CCM

Torqued pork

No Frito Pie and Chocolate Soldier for you!

A coach can control what gets served in the athletic department,  but controlling what players eat or don't eat when away from school is another matter. Good luck finding 18-22 year-olds with such discipline.

twistitup

Quote from: Ash on December 30, 2017, 05:10:21 pm
Thanks for that link. Actually a pretty solid diet plan for an athlete.

Pretty solid...

Except for the fact we run out of gas in the 4th qtr.

Maybe we need to adjust our pregame meals or halftime pb&j's to get more out of our players late in the game. If we could have finished games - CBB may still have a job

Hopefully CCM has a diff plan - the current one does not seem to be working.

From Tusk Till Dawn

This article was from 2016.

How to Eat Like the Hogs (The Football Players, That Is)

I've always considered myself to be a good eater, but DANG, SON, those bad boys in red can put some food away!  I met with Jacob Clark, a sports nutritionist graduate assistant for the Razorback Football team, to learn more about the nutritional lifestyles of our beloved Hogs and was shocked by what he told me.

I've outlined seven of the typical meals that a football player will eat in just one day.  If you're a true fan, try them out for yourself and see if you have what it takes to eat like a Hog!!

7:30 AM: Breakfast (1,200 calories)

6 eggs

1 cup of veggies (spinach, onions, and bell peppers)

¼ cup of cheese

1 cup of mixed fruit (blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries) with whole grain oatmeal

2 cups of mixed nuts (almonds, pistachios, and pecans)

20 ounces of water

9:30 AM: Morning Snack (500 calories)

Protein shake with chia seeds, oats, and peanut butter

20 ounces of water

11:30 AM: Lunch (1,200 calories)

Spinach, egg, black bean, chicken hash with olive oil and vinegar

2 servings of grilled chicken

1 cup of mixed fruit (blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)

1/2 of a baked potato

20 ounces of water

3:00 PM: Pre-Workout Snack (700 calories)

Deli sandwich with only half of the bread

Ucan protein shake

6:30 PM: Post-Workout Snack (220 calories)

Low-fat milk (chocolate, strawberry, or plain milk)

7:30 PM: Dinner (1,200 calories)

3 servings of a lean protein (grilled chicken)

2 cups of a complex carbohydrate (green vegetables, starchy vegetables, whole-grain pasta)

2 cups of mixed fruit (blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)

20 ounces of water

10:00 PM: Bedtime Snack (500 calories)

Casein protein shake made with 12 ounces of milk, 2 tbsp. of flaxseed, and 1 tbsp. of peanut butter

20 ounces of water

twistitup

Adjustments to that plan needed - we need 4 qtrs out of our boys

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Paul on December 30, 2017, 04:42:50 pm
it tastes great & a lot like beef

Where did you have one? I can't find any restaurants that serve it.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: twistitup on December 30, 2017, 05:21:09 pm

Adjustments to that plan needed - we need 4 qtrs out of our boys
I agree we need 4 qtrs, too many leads that slipped away.  My point was that there is a program in place, how well it's followed I dont know.  I'm not a nutritionist but would be curious how this compares with other programs, particularly those that use more tempo.

oldfart

i am a nutritionist and that sounds like a pretty good plan... i dont think the 4th quarter dropoffs is related to the diet they are getting...

twistitup

Quote from: oldfart on December 30, 2017, 05:52:14 pm
i am a nutritionist and that sounds like a pretty good plan... i dont think the 4th quarter dropoffs is related to the diet they are getting...

How does it compare to top national football programs?

Sivad

theFlyingHog

Quote from: MORAZOR on December 30, 2017, 05:04:16 pm
You missed the winky face at the bottom of my post

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: twistitup on December 30, 2017, 06:01:34 pm
How does it compare to top national football programs?

Post Bama's plan, and we can compare.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

twistitup

MORAZOR

QuoteYou missed the winky face at the bottom of my
I did....well played sir  :D

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on December 30, 2017, 03:51:07 pm
lets go full vegan

I'd be OK with it if they were forced to kill in order to feed the homeless. I don't mind vegans. I just don't want puthies...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Sivad on December 30, 2017, 06:34:40 pm
Chain-swigging Red Bulls.
This.
Every team takes on the head coach's personality.

Ash

Part of the reason I feel we had so many 4th quarter let downs was our team not being very resilient on a morale level. That isn't on the players that was on coach. Whenever they would show him on the sideline he normally looked like he was trying to figure out who's fart he had just smelled.

theFlyingHog