Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defense vs HUNH

Started by Snout team, December 29, 2017, 09:13:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snout team

I tried to google stats of teams solely against the HUNH but couldn't find anything.  I did find this article about the way defense is being measured differently than in the past.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/11933022/college_footballs_scoring_bing.amp

I do recognize that there are a few elite defenses which are still elite regardless of the style of competition.  What I'm curious about in the defensive rankings is how many of those teams
1. Played against mediocre opposition vs elite competition
2. Played more pro style vs HUNH

That would require a lot of research with a game by game breakdown of the opponent and stats related to each style.

What are your thoughts?
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Jimbob111

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 29, 2017, 09:13:14 pm
I tried to google stats of teams solely against the HUNH but couldn't find anything.  I did find this article about the way defense is being measured differently than in the past.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/11933022/college_footballs_scoring_bing.amp

I do recognize that there are a few elite defenses which are still elite regardless of the style of competition.  What I'm curious about in the defensive rankings is how many of those teams

That would require a lot of research with a game by game breakdown of the opponent and stats related to each style.

What are your thoughts?

Sounds like a job for Biggus. I've never been good with stats. Look at Oklahoma. They can run with tempo, have a fair defense, and can also control clock.

That's the future. You can't ONLY have HUNH but man, does it work. I can't say this enough but even the king of ball control, run-the-ball offenses is running up tempo at times.

I think defenses have figured it out, mostly, but it has changed the style of play of even the most traditional offenses...except GT and maybe the service academies.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

ChopSooie

Points per Snaps Played or Yards per Snaps Played?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 29, 2017, 09:13:14 pm

What are your thoughts?

Oh it's even more complicated than that.  The HUNH is more of a playcalling system than a scheme.  A coach while using the HUNH can very his scheme quite a bit.  This affects TOP and points scored, does Auburn have a lower TOP than its opponents? 

I think it easy to say that faster paced offense's are very popular today and that they produce more scoring.  That naturally means defensive scoring averages should go up.  I wonder if you could find the answer simply by looking at NCAA stats and seeing what the defensive scoring averages have done over the last few years.

Snout team

Quote from: ChopSooie on December 29, 2017, 09:31:35 pm
Points per Snaps Played or Yards per Snaps Played?

That would be a good place to start but it would need to be broken down by the different styles and quality of the opponent.

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

bphi11ips

Western Kentucky just established a degree plan for advanced sports stats. Maybe you can put an intern on it.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.