Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst call I've ever seen...ref kicks out Snell

Started by Ugly Uncle, December 29, 2017, 04:46:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Martygit

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 05:32:34 pm
It should.  Like I've said, never seen its equal in egregiousness.

It is absolutely inexcusable to kick a kid out of a bowl game (maybe the last of his career, certainly the last of his season) for something like that - that official should never officiate another college game  :puke:
RIP OTR, REV

Mellon Collie

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 05:50:56 pm
He should have pulled his team off the field until they corrected the issue. Holtz did that when he was at Dame.

this is the ballsy thing to do...would create change...too many neutered head coaches.

hogcards

Quote from: HogBreath on December 29, 2017, 07:24:10 pm
SMH.  Obviously a horrible call, yet we have a goof on here wanting to argue about it.  Classic.

You missed his rant earlier today when he attempted to insult everyone that pointed out how unbelievably stupid Bielema's payout may end up being.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

gcraise1

Horrible call by a ref who got butt hurt cause Snell refused his help. I think since the refs cant be touched by players, then refs should not be able to touch a player unless breaking up a fight. And I agree, Stoops should have pulled his team off the field until the call was corrected. Fight fire with fire is my motto.

Razorback_Mack

Carl Lazlo

TNarch

I agree with the opinion that the ref should never be allowed on another football field wearing black and white stripes.  Maybe he could get a job at Kentucky as a blocking dummy.  The ejection most likely cost Kentucky a bowl win based on the close outcome of the game...an along with it unmeasurable recruiting credibility.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on December 29, 2017, 08:12:13 pm
And that was a catch the USC wr made.

Looked like it met all the criteria.  Ripped out after he went to ground with control.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PossumFan on December 29, 2017, 07:18:52 pm
Why are you so hellbent on defending this putz?

Because ALL we saw was the video. We did not hear what was said. As I said baed ONLY on the video it was a bad call. But there might be more to it than that. Maybe the Ref had warned him before. Maybe not. Until we get the whole story, as a person in a position of authority he should get the benefit if the doubt. Everyone wants due process and then jumps to conclusions. The proverbial can't have it both ways is my thoughts. The court of public opinion is not always right.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 29, 2017, 08:10:57 pm
Whatever.

Story (with video) now posted on ESPN http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21912702/kentucky-running-back-benny-snell-jr-ejected-music-city-bowl-contact-referee

That's a much better video of it than the other I saw. It does show that the Ref reached down a little BUT the player didn't want him helping and sort of pushed the Refs arms away. Either way a penalty and warning would seem more appropriate, depending on what was said.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SugarHillGaHog

I feel it should have been a warning not ejection.  However when you get up and push a ref away and then go shaking your head like you just mansplained things to the ref it changes my opinion.  Toss him.  He did.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 08:25:01 pm
Because ALL we saw was the video. We did not hear what was said. As I said baed ONLY on the video it was a bad call. But there might be more to it than that. Maybe the Ref had warned him before. Maybe not. Until we get the whole story, as a person in a position of authority he should get the benefit if the doubt. Everyone wants due process and then jumps to conclusions. The proverbial can't have it both ways is my thoughts. The court of public opinion is not always right.
Maybe the player should get the benefit of the doubt. He did nothing wrong.

Razorback_Mack

December 29, 2017, 08:39:12 pm #114 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:14:45 pm by Razorback_Mack
Quote from: SugarHillGaHog on December 29, 2017, 08:36:47 pm
I feel it should have been a warning not ejection.  However when you get up and push a ref away and then go shaking your head like you just mansplained things to the ref it changes my opinion.  Toss him.  He did.
You're stupid. Dude was hit well after the whistle. And then the official  gets in his personal space wanting to help him up. He pushed his hands away. Why would he want him to help him up?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: SugarHillGaHog on December 29, 2017, 08:36:47 pm
Warning for what? What did he do?

Dropkick

It's obviously indefensible or Hogsanity would be here backing up the zebras.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 29, 2017, 08:44:43 pm
Yes, indeed.

2.5 replies (over/under) to the next post from Razorback_Mack still not understanding this.
Under. Obviously you're a liberal. If someone got into your space you'd proabably give them a kiss. Then again I'm an alpha and your a b****.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 29, 2017, 08:50:44 pm
Oh, my.  You're trying to act like badass.

And coming off like a dumbass.

Cheers!
Bottom line you don't know football. Poll football people. People that have been around the game, played the game, coached the game, etc. 98% minimum would say the official screwed that up. I don't throw effort after foolishness I'm done with you Bernie.

PossumFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 08:25:01 pm

The ref said after the game that Snell didn't say anything, so you can drop that hypothetical. He said Snell pushed his arm away, made contact, and that's a foul. Apparently the fact that he bent down and reached toward Snell wasn't addressed.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PossumFan on December 29, 2017, 08:54:58 pm
The ref said after the game that Snell didn't say anything, so you can drop that hypothetical. He said Snell pushed his arm away, made contact, and that's a foul. Apparently the fact that he bent down and reached toward Snell wasn't addressed.

Good to know. But still it's the Refs prerogative. Probably went a little overboard there and a penalty and warning might have been more appropriate. Either way the Ref appeared to reach down to help him and the player didn't want any part of that and got to animated and pushed the Refs arms away. I can see where the Ref could throw the flag.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogcards on December 29, 2017, 07:30:55 pm
You missed his rant earlier today when he attempted to insult everyone that pointed out how unbelievably stupid Bielema's payout may end up being.
Hardly surprising, but very thankful I did miss that.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

PossumFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 08:57:43 pm
Good to know. But still it's the Refs prerogative. Probably went a little overboard there and a penalty and warning might have been more appropriate. Either way the Ref appeared to reach down to help him and the player didn't want any part of that and got to animated and pushed the Refs arms away. I can see where the Ref could throw the flag.

No doubt that by the letter of the law, he was entitled to throw the flag and boot the guy. By the letter of the law, he could have booted him for "making contact" had Snell grabbed his hand to be helped up -- but that would be ridiculous, of course. The only thing Snell did was decline the help by brushing the offered hand away. It's a judgment call, but sometimes the judgment is glaringly wrong. I guess we'll just have to disagree on whether this falls into that category.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 08:49:20 pm
Snell didn't push the ref.

No but watch again closely and he did push his arms away. Did it rise to the level of deserving of ejection. Some say no, some say yes.

Uberanubis

yeah if you actually look at the video there should have been a late hit called. NW player hit the pile after the initial whistle and kept driving instead of pulling up. so yeah ref comes to help me up after that and i don't want your help either. you didn't give me any help to start with, why now. 
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 09:09:02 pm
No but watch again closely and he did push his arms away. Did it rise to the level of deserving of ejection. Some say no, some say yes.

Majority opinion I have seen is a resounding no. 

LRHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 06:19:59 pm
There was one crew that I worked with when I started that the white hat wouldn't let any cussing go.  He would flag for any cuss word.  I like that.

When I became a white hat I let some of it go.  I didn't allow the F word at all.  If a player got hit or something happen and I heard the S word I would say..."Hey, be careful with your language number 10" or say something like "easy now..." 

Never would I kick a player out for cussing though.

In what I just saw, I might have thrown a flag if the player just cussed me.  I would have felt guilty about it though.  I would have thought, "well, I should have known better than to get up on him like that in that situation."

There's no rule that says you can't cuss. It's not your job to censor the players. Flagging anyone for cussing is **** stupid. They're words. Get over it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 09:17:08 pm
Majority opinion I have seen is a resounding no. 

Refereeing isn't a democracy.......................

jfred59

The Ref was in SEC county and called against an SEC team showing that he will be willing to do what he is told.  He will probably end up heading a crew in the SEC next year.

rude1

Quote from: PossumFan on December 29, 2017, 08:54:58 pm

Idiot Ref just made it worse, he reached out to help him up, well damn, if he accepts the help up isn't that still making contact with the ref? This is clearly a ref with an ego problem who punished a kid who dared not accept the kings hand up, guy should never ref at any level ever again.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 06:02:44 pm
Ask some of the Refs on here if true or not if that is said to them if they might eject a player or not.

I officiate HS football in Tennessee. It is very rare but there are a couple of phrases that can get you tossed. Never saw it happen but it is talked about at our weekly meetings. To me it looked like Snell thought he was hit after the whistle and said something very bad at the same time he was touching ref. Some white hats are thin skinned....:)  and i think this one overreacted very badly. Interested to see what comes of this when they get graded out. If umpire or another official saw it, wonder why/if they didn't try and talk him down?

Razorback_Mack

PossumFan

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on December 29, 2017, 09:21:58 pm
I officiate HS football in Tennessee. It is very rare but there are a couple of phrases that can get you tossed. Never saw it happen but it is talked about at our weekly meetings. To me it looked like Snell thought he was hit after the whistle and said something very bad at the same time he was touching ref. Some white hats are thin skinned....:)  and i think this one overreacted very badly. Interested to see what comes of this when they get graded out. If umpire or another official saw it, wonder why/if they didn't try and talk him down?

Again ... the ref himself said Snell didn't say anything.

wlbrown9

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 29, 2017, 08:39:12 pm
You're stupid. Dude was hit well after the whistle. And then the ref gets in his personal space wanting to help him up. He pushed his hands away. Why would he want him to help him up?
Snell actually stepped out of bounds before being driven back 5 yards and into the ground. Officials probably missed that, but should have blown the whistle to stop play. That crew should not be allowed back on any field IMHO.

sowmonella

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 29, 2017, 10:12:20 pm
Are there referees in football?
REFEREE
The referee is the lead official that has control of the game and is generally the final authority in all decisions.

It is the role of the referee to announce all penalties. The referee explains penalties to the offending team's captain and coach and says which player is responsible for the penalty. The referee is positioned in the backfield, approximately 10 yards behind the quarterback before the start of the play.

The referee monitors illegal hits on the quarterback, watches for illegal blocks near the quarterback and determines if the yardage chains are needed on the field for a measurement.

What else do you want to know?  :P
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: sowmonella on December 29, 2017, 10:17:02 pm
REFEREE
The referee is the lead official that has control of the game and is generally the final authority in all decisions.

It is the role of the referee to announce all penalties. The referee explains penalties to the offending team's captain and coach and says which player is responsible for the penalty. The referee is positioned in the backfield, approximately 10 yards behind the quarterback before the start of the play.

The referee monitors illegal hits on the quarterback, watches for illegal blocks near the quarterback and determines if the yardage chains are needed on the field for a measurement.

What else do you want to know?  :P
I said that tongue in cheek. You damn millennial liberals are so gullible.

Hoggish1

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 09:09:02 pm

That's Ben Herbert level officiating
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Cinco de Hogo

Looked to me like, as Snell was coming up off the ground the ref moved in almost overtop of him so any contact was the responsibility of the ref.   Smell may have put out a hand simply to avoid harder contact as he came up and the ref moved in at the same time.   Now what he said or why he shook his head we don't know and neither of those things were the stated reason for the ejection.

jackflash

I think that official should have been removed from the game.

k.c.hawg

December 30, 2017, 09:35:17 am #141 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:13:42 am by k.c.hawg
The ref states I was on top of the play. What the DF should have said was I was on top of the player. The player is clearly getting himself in position to get up and the ref comes in aggressively like he is stopping a fight, on top of the player and putting his hands on the players shoulders. Player shrugs them away. Two things, the ref should have realized, he got in the players space and put his hands on him. The player just got gang tackled, run backwards 5 yards and taken to the ground after the whistle, player is emotional. The ref was responsible for all actions after that. POS for throwing the flag, unworthy to officiate for kicking the kid out of a bowl game over it.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Tweeter

Shouldn't of been thrown out but definitely flagged.  Kids need to chill out and have some respect

rude1

Quote from: Tweeter on December 30, 2017, 09:38:53 am
Shouldn't of been thrown out but definitely flagged.  Kids need to chill out and have some respect
Flagged for not wanting the ref to help him up? Kid was in no way aggressive with the ref, he is shaking his head and backing away from the ref, not going toward him. If you can't touch the ref, then why is the ref reaching down touching him to help him up, even if the accepts the hand up didn't he just violate the touching rule?

RaisinHog

If he didn't say anything like .. get the F off me .. he prolly shouldn't have been tossed but .. he should be more respectful . Reff should have said something like son u do that again your gone ..

Hogwild

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 04:46:43 pm
In the Kentucky game...

Did you guys just see that?

I officiated a lot of football in my life.  How do you kick a kid out of a game for that?

Saw that yesterday horrible call, ref should be embarrassed