Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't like the shotgun formation on the goal line!

Started by Boarcephus, December 29, 2017, 03:28:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

A&M had 3rd and a foot to go for a TD, they line up in the shotgun and the back gets the ball at the 5 and gets stuffed at the 2 or whatever.  It's just stupid to me to be that close then spot the defense 5 yards. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

LZH

LZH

ChopSooie

Arkansas will be doing the shotgun around the goal line.

nwahogfan1

Has its draw backs but it does not matter if the QB takes the ball from under center and hands the ball 4 yards deep to a TB or if the QB gets the ball 5 yards deep from center your OL and Backs have to block.   But I understand what ur saying.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ChopSooie on December 29, 2017, 03:45:33 pm

That is one of the things I don't like about this peek-a-boo offense.  Line up under center and hand the ball off at the one and dive over...

If you line up in the shot gun, direct snap it so you aren't waiting on the QB to get the snap then turn and hand it to a back who then has to get started moving in the right direction.
Retired Radio Host

LZH

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ChopSooie on December 29, 2017, 03:45:33 pm

If Morris stays true to what he's done in the past, there will be shotgun, but there will be wide spreads and motion.  Get the defense off balance and find gaps.  Shotgun with compressed formations is what drives me crazy as well. Takes away the power game.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Boarcephus

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 03:47:29 pm
That is one of the things I don't like about this peek-a-boo offense.  Line up under center and hand the ball off at the one and dive over...

If you line up in the shot gun, direct snap it so you aren't waiting on the QB to get the snap then turn and hand it to a back who then has to get started moving in the right direction.

If nothing else get a couple big ass 300 pounders and run the qb sneak and let them push the qb in the end zone.  The offense knows the snap count, that ought to be worth a foot in itself. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hoghevn

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 29, 2017, 03:28:55 pm
A&M had 3rd and a foot to go for a TD, they line up in the shotgun and the back gets the ball at the 5 and gets stuffed at the 2 or whatever.  It's just stupid to me to be that close then spot the defense 5 yards.

What about 2 years ago when A&M stuffed us on the line 3 times with us 1st & goal 3 different times?  All we did was line up and run straight up the middle each time and tried jumping over the line to score and got stuffed every time.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

LZH

LZH

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 29, 2017, 04:05:28 pm
If nothing else get a couple big ass 300 pounders and run the qb sneak and let them push the qb in the end zone.  The offense knows the snap count, that ought to be worth a foot in itself. 

Unless you have a Division II OL and a 5'7" 160 lb QB, you butch up and run a QB sneak......twice if necessary. We're not talking about a yard and a half....it's six inches.

Boarcephus

Quote from: LZH on December 29, 2017, 04:13:56 pm
Unless you have a Division II OL and a 5'7" 160 lb QB, you butch up and run a QB sneak......twice if necessary. We're not talking about a yard and a half....it's six inches.

That's sorta the way I look at things.  I just like the the additional options taking the snap from under center gives you. 

31to6

Quote from: hoghevn on December 29, 2017, 04:09:58 pm
What about 2 years ago when A&M stuffed us on the line 3 times with us 1st & goal 3 different times?  All we did was line up and run straight up the middle each time and tried jumping over the line to score and got stuffed every time.
True. But we did not have a power rushing offense. 

clutch

If you're going to start taking snaps from under center at the goal line, you better do it some on other parts of the field as well. Taking snaps from under center can be a nightmare for a QB that doesn't ever do it. I understand what the OP is saying, but if you are a team that never lines up under center, you don't want to risk losing the ball inside the 5 yard line on a botched snap.

The_Iceman

Hoginsavga

How many times did we fail to make a crucial yard during the past five years with the QB under center and handing the ball to a running back or using a QB sneak?  Way too many for me to count.