Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It struck me as... odd

Started by ambien_sky, December 29, 2017, 12:34:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ambien_sky

That people are attacking Chad Morris,  and people are feeling the need to defend him,  before the man has even coached one down of football at Arkansas.  As I was reading all the posts and comments,  this just all of a sudden seemed really strange.

I have an idea for the people who are 'already'  tearing Chad Morris and his incoming staff down -   How about letting him coach a few games first?  That kind of seems fair.  Sometimes, with this this seemingly overly entitled,  hostile fan base,  I wonder why any decent coach would come here at all.  It's kind of ridiculous.   

EastexHawg

Both "sides" should let him coach some games and examine the results before deciding who is clueless and who has it all figured out.

cardinalandwhite

There are some people in this world who are only happy when they can complain, and as such they seek any reason to complain. We could be on an historic win streak and they would complain about our opponent's third-down conversion rate being over 10%.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 29, 2017, 12:57:26 am
Both "sides" should let him coach some games and examine the results before deciding who is clueless and who has it all figured out.

He is the head coach of my beloved Razorbacks.  I'm going to cheer for him and hope and pray for his success here.  I'm going to look for reasons to be happy about his hire until he gives me reasons to be unhappy.  That is just how I'm wired...I like going to the positive first.

I think it is a shallow person that needs it to be known that they are the "realist" when really all they are is a wet blanket.  Sports are not about reality, but fantasy, and hope, and believing in miracles and the impossible.  Great heartbreak accompanies great love and great hope...but I'd rather have hope and excitement in my life than to live like some of these folks that want to be able to say, "I told you so..." and get some kind of pleasure out of being miserable and making everyone around them miserable.

Just my opinion though.
Retired Radio Host

Al Boarland

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 01:24:05 am
He is the head coach of my beloved Razorbacks.  I'm going to cheer for him and hope and pray for his success here.  I'm going to look for reasons to be happy about his hire until he gives me reasons to be unhappy.  That is just how I'm wired...I like going to the positive first.

I think it is a shallow person that needs it to be known that they are the "realist" when really all they are is a wet blanket.  Sports are not about reality, but fantasy, and hope, and believing in miracles and the impossible.  Great heartbreak accompanies great love and great hope...but I'd rather have hope and excitement in my life than to live like some of these folks that want to be able to say, "I told you so..." and get some kind of pleasure out of being miserable and making everyone around them miserable.

Just my opinion though.

So, you can be wired as an optimist, but not a realist?

blu

When all that is ever posted by some "realists" is negativity, no matter what, it tends to bring up the question of "why are you even a "fan"?". It just gets old after a while.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Mike_e

Just my opinion though.

Aaaaaand a good one.

Reality as far as we humans go is simply seeing something for what it is as opposed to projecting expectations onto it.

The reality of the Chad Morris Razorback era is that we do not yet know how it will turn out.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Al Boarland

Quote from: blu on December 29, 2017, 05:18:17 am
When all that is ever posted by some "realists" is negativity, no matter what, it tends to bring up the question of "why are you even a "fan"?". It just gets old after a while.

Oh I agree the question gets asked. Doesn't mean it should. People can be any kind of fan they want to be. Everyone is different and there is nothing wrong with that.

JJHog

Can we stop using the word hate?
Chavis haters
Morris haters

Let them have a year before you spew that word

Enough already
" Think Right, Do Right"

The real Hogules

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 29, 2017, 12:34:06 am
That people are attacking Chad Morris,  and people are feeling the need to defend him,  before the man has even coached one down of football at Arkansas.  As I was reading all the posts and comments,  this just all of a sudden seemed really strange.

I have an idea for the people who are 'already'  tearing Chad Morris and his incoming staff down -   How about letting him coach a few games first?  That kind of seems fair.  Sometimes, with this this seemingly overly entitled,  hostile fan base,  I wonder why any decent coach would come here at all.  It's kind of ridiculous.   

Well, in case you haven't been paying attention, unless a decent coach had a gun held to his head we haven't gotten the best coaching candidates available , anyway. And neither of these two hires (HC, DC) have given me reason to think that will be changing in the near future.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

TexArkHogFan

Quit confusing Hogville as your typical Hog fan base.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Inhogswetrust

December 29, 2017, 06:34:48 am #12 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:37:37 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 04:08:10 am

Except a realist is simply a negative nanny in sheep clothing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

racinghog

I find it odd that all of the new posters, including the OP, have come hear to tell us what a great hire this was, how CCM is going to do this and that, that you have known him since he was at Clemson, you coached with him or against him in HS and on and on. This may be in large part why some who have been here, and will be here through the next coach and beyond, may push back.

We have seen cheerleaders for other coaches and we have been warned about other coaches. We are intelligent enough to make up our own minds about what we see and what we hear. In short this is not our first rodeo. Most of us are cautiously optimistic.

oldhawg

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 29, 2017, 06:11:54 am
Well, in case you haven't been paying attention, unless a decent coach had a gun held to his head we haven't gotten the best coaching candidates available , anyway. And neither of these two hires (HC, DC) have given me reason to think that will be changing in the near future.

I don't think any coach could effect significant change in the "near" future for the Razorbacks.  Too many things to be corrected.

Also, many believe that the Razorbacks did get the "best coaching candidate available."  At this point it is just a matter of opinion. 

In three years one side or the other will be able to look back and say, "I told you so."  The other side will simply deny having had a vocal opinion.

hoglady

He's the coach.
Let's see what he can do.
He deserves support unless the results on the field show he doesn't.

It doesn't matter what he did at Clemson or SMU / it only matters what happens going forward at Arkansas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogarusa

Its a message board in December..you want everyone to quit posting until September?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The OTR

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 29, 2017, 07:36:52 am
Its a message board in December..you want everyone to quit posting until September?

I would support this, yes.

PonderinHog

Okay, but the first time we go three-and-out on offense or give up the big play on defense, he's fair game!   >:(

CPO Hog

I understand it really bothers some if they see negative posts about our coach, staff, etc..  I find it equally upsetting when some post about how great he is, about all the wonderful things he will do, how many he will win, and on and on.

This was even worse when Bret was hired.  REMEMBER:  Best hire ever, Best staff ever assembled at Arkansas, maybe best staff ever assembled in college football.  We'll have lines that will just take over games on both O & D.  The horsecrap got so deep you couldn't keep it pushed away with a D9 bulldozer.  Most of these same people refuse to come forward and admit how WRONG they were.  Yet back then, we who disagreed were called idiots, negative Nellies, and on and on.

To be clear, I look at our program and I believe Chad Morris was a decent hire considering.  I also believe Chavis, if hired, will be a decent hire, considering.  Any staff, in my opinion, will be tasked with a very difficult job correcting this program and starting to win football games.  I am looking for basic requirements from this new staff.  Energy, Effort, Refusing to be Denied, Fire in the Belly.  I see some of this and that makes me happy.  I hope for decent wins.  They may not come or they may. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 06:34:48 am

It's been my experience that the realist have hit the mark at a significant clip higher than the optimist.

HoggyCat

I'm about the quickest to turn to the darkside.

But people glorifying him as the next bear Bryant AND the ones pushing gloom and doom are baffling to even myself. I'm already planning an April pilgrimage and hitting up the local Club meetings.  Something I haven't done in years.

Give him a chance.

I just wish he'd quit all the cutesie stuff.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

wedge56

Just my opinion though.

perfect

Redhogs

This fan base is no different than most and better than some...just the way it is. Compared to Tn, Fl and some others, we are saints.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 29, 2017, 07:50:15 am
I would support this, yes.
Then what would YOU do to pass the time.....

Pork Twain

The level of negativity on here is tiresome.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Corkscrew Johnson

It doesn't strike me as odd.  We hired an unproven up-and-comer.  People are nervous. 

Is it fair to him?  Well, that's a different question for a different thread.  But it's definitely not "odd" or unexpected. 

Redhogs

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 29, 2017, 08:56:49 am
The level of negativity on here is tiresome.
His record at SMU has allot to do with that...right or wrong.

clew

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 04:08:10 am
A realist lives in a very narrow band between an optimist and a pessimist. There are very few realists on this board.
Pure as the dawn

Pork Twain

Quote from: Redhogs on December 29, 2017, 09:04:22 am
People choosing to ignore the work he put in, and just look at the record to support their negativity are not impressing anyone
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Redhogs on December 29, 2017, 09:04:22 am

Okay.  The word "allot" does NOT exist.  I believe you are trying to use the phrase "a lot."  This is two separate words.  Not one word and if it were one word, it would only have one "L."  Thank you!  Now, carry on!

PygmalionEffect2

For the first time in the history of the Arkansas Razorback football program, the realists are recognizing that we are very close now to becoming Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Kansas State, Kansas, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Oregon State, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Virginia, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Duke, N. Carolina St., etc. etc. ,

as a football program.

We just don't know if it is inevitable no matter what we do or if somehow the right coaching staff or adding luxury boxes, etc. could make us relevant again.

I can speak for the realists in saying it's a threat we've never considered until now.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on December 29, 2017, 09:12:50 am
Okay.  The word "allot" does NOT exist.  I believe you are trying to use the phrase "a lot."  This is two separate words.  Not one word and if it were one word, it would only have one "L."  Thank you!  Now, carry on!
Oh yes it duz!

Farmer Hogget

People hated Bret Beliema from the beginning.  Because he wasn't Bobby Petrino.  Now, people love Chad Morris. . .because he isn't Bret Beliema.  They believe Chad Morris will win because he likes to runs a spread, up tempo offense.  Others believe Chad Morris is a loser because of his overall record as a head coach.  Everyone has an agenda.  They say it's because THEY care about the Razorbacks more than who the coach is but, really, that's just a lie to cover what their own personal agenda is.

Personally, I neither care for or do not care for the hire.  I will wait and find out next fall.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 08:42:48 am
It's been my experience that the realist have hit the mark at a significant clip higher than the optimist.

Do you think JJ Watt is a realist or an optimist?  How about Wes Welker?  Dolly Parton?  Reba McEntire?  Thomas Edison? Benjamin Franklin?   Frank Broyles?

For every successful dreamer there are hundreds who dreamed just as big and worked just as hard and believed just as much, but you've never heard of them. Without optimistic dreamers the world would never change. 

If you want to talk about the Razorbacks here you have to wade through negativity.  Not much different than going to a game in 1970 and hearing people all around you complain loudly about Frank Broyles and pooch kicks. 

I hope we have a staff and team full of optimistic, hard working dreamers and not realists. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

AirWarren

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 06:34:48 am

So when a heart surgeon tells you that you have severe left main disease and three other blockages that you're only option for survival is bypass surgery? Him being a realist is being a negative nanny?

Or an oncologist telling you that you have a cancer that has a 50% chance of living. Him being a realist is being a negative nanny?

Guess physicians diagnosing people with up front realism on a daily basis are just negative nanny's.

Some people live in a rose colored world. Other's choose to see what they want. You're a non believer correct? You should understand all of this perfectly.

Perception is in the eye of the beholder. Neither is right or wrong.

Hogsfan1981

Quote from: 12247 on December 29, 2017, 08:37:38 am
I understand it really bothers some if they see negative posts about our coach, staff, etc..  I find it equally upsetting when some post about how great he is, about all the wonderful things he will do, how many he will win, and on and on.

This was even worse when Bret was hired.  REMEMBER:  Best hire ever, Best staff ever assembled at Arkansas, maybe best staff ever assembled in college football.  We'll have lines that will just take over games on both O & D.  The horsecrap got so deep you couldn't keep it pushed away with a D9 bulldozer.  Most of these same people refuse to come forward and admit how WRONG they were.  Yet back then, we who disagreed were called idiots, negative Nellies, and on and on.

To be clear, I look at our program and I believe Chad Morris was a decent hire considering.  I also believe Chavis, if hired, will be a decent hire, considering.  Any staff, in my opinion, will be tasked with a very difficult job correcting this program and starting to win football games.  I am looking for basic requirements from this new staff.  Energy, Effort, Refusing to be Denied, Fire in the Belly.  I see some of this and that makes me happy.  I hope for decent wins.  They may not come or they may.

Truth. People admitting in this thread that they are so sold on the coach  that they would rather have no one post until September than read an opinion they don't agree with. Has nothing to do with who the coach is. They just hate people not agreeing with them on a public domain designed to allow people to post opinions about sports.

Al Boarland

Quote from: clew on December 29, 2017, 09:05:06 am
A realist lives in a very narrow band between an optimist and a pessimist. There are very few realists on this board.

It's a badge I wear with honor.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 29, 2017, 09:18:47 am
Do you think JJ Watt is a realist or an optimist?  How about Wes Welker?  Dolly Parton?  Reba McEntire?  Thomas Edison? Benjamin Franklin?   Frank Broyles?

For every successful dreamer there are hundreds who dreamed just as big and worked just as hard and believed just as much, but you've never heard of them. Without optimistic dreamers the world would never change. 

If you want to talk about the Razorbacks here you have to wade through negativity.  Not much different than going to a game in 1970 and hearing people all around you complain loudly about Frank Broyles and pooch kicks. 

I hope we have a staff and team full of optimistic, hard working dreamers and not realists.

You listed some remarkable people. Now list those who failed. That list will be much longer.

PygmalionEffect2

Here is a quote from Benjamin Franklin:
"I'd rather be a pessimist because then I can only be pleasantly surprised."― Benjamin Franklin

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Jimbob111

I thought I had a post in this thread. If it was deleted, could a moderator please PM me why. If it was an error on my end then it's fine but I swear I posted on this thread and just wanted to clarify how an opinion can be wrong.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Quickdraw

From what I have seen from him so far. I don't think Morris cares what any of our opinions are. He's going to do his own thing. He may be successful and he may not but I can't wait to find out. WPS...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 08:42:48 am

Maybe so but the optimist lives longer generally.............makes life more fun and less stressful.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ambien_sky

Quote from: 12247 on December 29, 2017, 08:37:38 am

Well,  I would argue that in the first 3 years -  Bielema was living up to that.   I would argue that when he hired Chaney, Sam Pittman, Randy Shannon, Clay Jennings (two of which are currently at Georgia)  we did have the best over all staff that I had seen at Arkansas (At least since I have been following the Razorbacks)  Also,  Bielema built, in the beginning, a star offensive live here at Arkansas.  Our offensive line was getting more attention than anyone else's at the time - and they were even featured on a calendar.  It was, for that short time,  the best offensive line I had seen at Arkansas.  We had some stars.  The staff was also a great recruiting staff -  I remember a lot of experts even saying they were the best recruiting staff there had ever been at Arkansas.  Bielema and staff pulled in some good players.

We were also starting to click on offense and defense for that short time.  Then,  I have no idea what happened.   The team started going down hill fast -  and I really don't know why.  But, Bielema, in the beginning,  was showing a lot of promise.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on December 29, 2017, 09:12:50 am

Yes it does exist:

Definition of allot. allotted; allotting. transitive verb. 1 : to assign as a share or portion.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AP85 on December 29, 2017, 09:22:21 am
So when a heart surgeon tells you that you have severe left main disease and three other blockages that you're only option for survival is bypass surgery? Him being a realist is being a negative nanny?

Or an oncologist telling you that you have a cancer that has a 50% chance of living. Him being a realist is being a negative nanny?

Guess physicians diagnosing people with up front realism on a daily basis are just negative nanny's.

Some people live in a rose colored world. Other's choose to see what they want. You're a non believer correct? You should understand all of this perfectly. In other words real BUT at the same time optimistic.

Perception is in the eye of the beholder. Neither is right or wrong.

You negative nannies never have understood the concept of context............................

My Dad had heart surgery. His doctor told him what needed to be done but then made sure to tell him the success rate was very high for the surgery he needed. In other words real but at the same time optimistic.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: blu on December 29, 2017, 05:18:17 am

Can't count how many times I have posted that question.

Inhogswetrust

Perhaps the best sentence you've ever typed on here. Well done!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 29, 2017, 09:31:33 am
It's a badge I wear with honor.

I bet you're a hoot at parties................