Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC-W Recruiting Updates

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 07:36:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/oct/03/video-nathan-page-mid-season-highlights/

Nathan Page lucky to walk away from 'life-changing' car wreck

QuoteAfter the wreck, Page made a call to his mother, Mickie, who arrived at a scary scene for any parent.

"When I get there, this car is wrapped into a tree and all four boys are just walking around," Mickie said. "They're cut up and they're hurt, but they're fine. It's a miracle. They really slammed into a tree and they walked away."

Page's father, Larry, was equally as relieved to see his son come away from the wreck with no significant injuries.

"Like any parent, when you see that car and you see your child is essentially OK, the first thing you do is thank God," Larry said. "The car is replaceable. We were so thankful the injuries weren't more serious than they were."

Potential concussion symptoms were the only thing that would've kept Page from playing Friday night, something his mom kept a close eye on.

"As we were leaving the hospital, they were saying they don't recommend that he play," Mickie said. "I told them if he doesn't have any concussion symptoms and he can get out of that bed, he's going to play tomorrow. But if I saw any of those symptoms he wouldn't have played. Otherwise, there's not much I can do to keep him from playing."

Page, the No. 1 in-state prospect in the 2018 class, is being recruited by Arkansas and several major programs. He currently doesn't have any FBS scholarship offers, but those are expected to come once his summer transcript arrives. He most recently visited Arkansas for the Hogs' 42-3 win over Texas State and said he "loves" the program.

His parents are just happy their son still has an opportunity to pursue his dreams on the football field after Thursday's wreck.

"I got a chance to look at him and say, 'Listen bud, I could've lost you. There's stuff we've got to fix and things we've got to deal with, but it's stuff. It's all stuff compared to you. We'll figure it out. It's all OK,' " Mickie said.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/783789843461632001

Quote30th Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic is set for Dec. 10 at Montgomery's Cramton Bowl

Akers – the one-time Alabama commit and Mississippi's No. 1 prospect – plays quarterback at Clinton (Miss.) High, but the 6-foot, 215-pounder was selected as a running back on Mississippi's all-star roster, which was announced today. There are only three running backs, with Clinton's Darius Mayberry, Akers' teammate, as one of the three.

Mississippi's roster also featured LSU quarterback commit Myles Brennan...

2016 Mississippi roster                   
Name    School    Pos.    Ht.    Wt.
Myles Brennan    St. Stanislaus    QB    6'4    187
Braden Smith    Northwest Rankin    QB    5'11    175
Cam Akers    Clinton    RB    6'0    215
Kylin Hill    Columbus    RB    6'0    215
Darius Maberry    Clinton    RB    5'11    185
Chase Rogers    St. Stanislaus    TE    6'4    242
D.D. Bowie    Morton    WR    6'1    195
Dontario Drummond    Laurel    WR    6'3    190
Jordan Murphy    Hattiesburg    WR    6'1    175
Tyrese Fryfogle    George County    WR    6'2    200
Austin Williams    Ocean Springs    WR    6'3    205
John Dale    Kemper County    OL    6'5    300
Shantavis Vardaman    Hazlehurst    OL    6'5    290
Conner Estes    East Central    OL    6'5    304
Colton Skidmore    Oxford    OL    6'2    290
Paul Gainer    Gautier    OL    6'4    280
Jakoby Jones    Starkville    OL    6'3    275
Jacob Shoemaker    Harrison Central    OL    6'4    290
Connor Reinike    Starkville    OL    6'1    285
Connor McKay    Germantown    K    5'9    170
Defense                   
Ron Thomspon    Bassfield    ATH    5'9    185
Jonathan Haynes    Ray Brooks    DB    6'2    198
Tyler Williams    Lafayette    DB    6'2    175
Christopher Avery    Grenada    DB    6'1    205
Schdarren Archie    Brandon    DB    6'2    190
Emanuel Dabney    Callaway    DB    6'1    183
Kam White    Clinton    DB    6'2    195
Everitt Washington    West Point    DE    6'3    240
Santrell Latham    Meridian    DE    6'3    215
Willie Gay    Starkville    DE    6'2    217
Nathan Perry    Germantown    DL    6'4    280
James Jackson    Pascagoula    DL    6'3    354
O'Bryan Goodson    South Panola    DL    6'0    265
Devonte Lloyd    Meridian    DL    6'2    270
Tahj Sykes    Columbus    DL    6'3    275
Aaron Odom    Callaway    DL    6'4    255
Jonathan Jones    Charleston    LB    6'0    195
Ladarius Rule    Lake Cormorant    LB    6'2    225
Javaris Russell    Grenada    LB    6'2    205

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/784028019639934976

QuoteCam Akers has been one of LSU's top priorities since Jabbar Juluke has taken over as the Tigers' running backs coach.

With a potential shuffle in the number of wide receivers, running backs and linebackers on the horizon, there is definitely room in the 2017 class for the 5-star Mississippi running back.

"Coach Ed Orgeron has always been someone I knew very well even with Les Miles there so it doesn't change anything as far as recruiting," Akers told The Clarion-Ledger.

"You don't go to a school for a coach, in my opinion. You go because that's where you want to be."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/784449514606395392

QuoteHogs are looking to impress some 2017 recruits taking an official visit for the game. Most notably among those are Michigan safety commit J'Marick Woods, Kansas defensive line commit Troy James and Oklahoma State defensive end commit Nelson Mbanasor. There will also be a long list of prominent 2018 and 2019 prospects taking unofficial visits. The atmosphere surrounding the 6 p.m. CT kick at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium will no doubt help impress the visitors. Combine that with a victory, or at least a competitive game, and the Hogs will certainly have made a huge positive impact on the recruiting trail.

Arkansas gained some momentum among recruits after its win at TCU earlier this season. Some of that was lost after falling to Texas A&M...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/788550255595888640

QuoteIn a span of one week, Texas A&M lost two young former five-star quarterbacks.

Sophomore Kyle Allen left Texas A&M on Dec. 10. Freshman Kyler Murray decided to transfer less than a week later. It left the Aggies with only two scholarship quarterbacks on their roster: Jake Hubenak, who began the season as the third-string quarterback, and a former walk-on.

They needed a quarterback bad, especially since — at that point — they were without a commitment from a single Class of 2016 quarterback and had yet to add Trevor Knight.

So, Texas A&M tried to get Jalen Hurts.

Hurts is from Channelview, Texas, which is about 90 minutes away from Texas A&M's campus. Sumlin and Hurts' father, a high school coach in Texas, have a long-standing relationship, and Hurts competed against Aggies players like standout freshman running back Trayveon Williams while they were in high school.

The proximity and family's relationship with Sumlin were two reasons Hurts had interest in Texas A&M prior to committing to Alabama.

The Tide became a true factor in Hurts' recruitment last spring. Alabama offered Hurts a scholarship in February, but it wasn't a committable offer.

Hurts committed to Alabama in early June over Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Florida. Averion Hurts, Jalen's father, told AL.com at the time that his son was told he was the No. 1 quarterback on each team's board.

"I honestly felt there wasn't another place out there that compared," Hurts, the third-ranked dual-threat quarterback, said in February at the Tide's National Signing Day press conference. "Alabama, I feel, is on another level in many ways. That stood out to me."

Sumlin was hopeful that he could get Hurts to flip his commitment from Alabama to Texas A&M once the Aggies reached back out last December.

The in-home meeting consisted of Sumlin and running backs coach Clarence McKinney meeting with Hurts and his family for around an hour and trying to sell them on why Hurts should go to Texas A&M.

They were unsuccessful.

The Aggies eventually did add a quarterback. Knight...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/789109577073786881

QuoteHere's a look at some of the top recruiting battles involving the Hogs and Tigers in the 2017 class:

4-star DB Montaric Brown: Arkansas' top in-state prospect from Ashdown

4-star TE Jeremy Patton: Another highly coveted JUCO recruit, Patton holds more than 25 offers from FBS programs. He committed to Arkansas in June, reportedly selecting the Hogs over Auburn and Louisville.

4-star DT Isaiah Buggs: One of the top junior-college prospects in the class, Buggs has listed Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Mississippi as his top schools. However, that hasn't stopped Arkansas from heavily pursuing him.

3-star LB Thomas Johnston: From Spanish Fort (Ala.) High School, Johnston has an offer from both programs, but the Tigers are getting no home-state advantage here. He announced his current top seven schools after visiting Arkansas last weekend. The Hogs made the cut; the Tigers did not.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Keith247Sports/status/790375166450757632

4-star safety target Devon Hunter, 4-star center Cesar Ruiz, tight end Tre' McKitty and prized 2018 commit Joey Gatewood. But there were many others, too (slideshow via link).

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/790916373136437248

QuoteSalesian (Los Angeles) High School 2017 outside linebacker Rahyme Johnson received an offer from Arkansas on Monday. A 4-star prospect, Johnson (6-foot-4, 210 pounds) has reported offers from 15 Power 5 conference programs and has already visited Nebraska and Texas A&M.

https://twitter.com/rahyme_johnson/status/790677545607802880

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/791278876706168833

QuoteI don't think any of Arkansas' 19 commits are currently looking elsewhere. Nor do I think the prospects at the top the Hogs' list will be put off, assuming the team recovers and finishes with some good wins.

The defensive coordinator (Robb Smith) might not have a job for long. Would that hurt or help the Hogs in recruiting?

If

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/792997192827109376

Britt says his four finalists are Ole Miss, Stanford, Georgia and Auburn.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/793815288252862464

QuoteHogs entered the bye week coming of a 56-3 loss at Auburn. The lopsided outcome potentially having a negative effect on recruiting last week was something Hargreaves was aware of but didn't sense it hurt the Hogs much.

"Bottom line is guys are going to do what they do regardless," Hargreaves said. "Sometimes it has and effect; sometimes it doesn't. I didn't see any of that or feel any of that. I probably brought it up more than anybody else, because you know how it is. I figured I'd beat them to the punch. It is what it is. If they like Arkansas, they're going to like Arkansas anyway."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/794199851114360832

QuoteDeVonta Smith
Position: 4-star WR
Hometown: Amite, La.

LSU take: Smith is Louisiana's top prospect, so nabbing him is a priority. LSU entered the mix once Dameyune Craig was added to the staff.

Todd Harris
Position: 4-star DB
Hometown: Plaquemine, La.

LSU take: LSU holds commitments from two of the nation's premier safeties — Grant Delpit and JaCoby Stevens — but continues to save room in the 2017 class for Harris.

Dylan Moses (Alabama commit)
Position: 5-star LB
Hometown: Baton Rouge, La.

Alabama take: Alabama remains confident that it keeps Moses' commitment through January, which is when he'll enroll in school. Obviously, there was cause for concern when Moses made a surprise visit to LSU last month...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/794347645464702976

QuoteAsa Martin is apparently returning to Austin High in Decatur.

The running back played this fall at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

Martin becomes the second Alabama player to have a short stay at IMG.

Buckhorn linebacker Will Ignont transferred to IMG in January – at the same time as Martin – but stayed only a few months and then returned to Buckhorn

4-star running back Asa Martin announces plan to leave IMG, return to Austin in Decatur
1 / 8
Austin running back Asa Martin (20). Clay-Chalkville vs. Austin High School football playoff at Ogle Stadium in Decatur, Ala. Friday Nov. 27, 015. (Bob Gathany/bgathany@AL.com)
Bob Gathany | bgathany@al.com
Josh Bean | jbean@al.com By Josh Bean | jbean@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on November 03, 2016 at 7:51 PM, updated November 04, 2016 at 10:08 AM
13 shares

Asa Martin is apparently returning to Austin High in Decatur.

The running back played this fall at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, but he tweeted earlier tonight that he plans to return to Austin, where he emerged as a star as sophomore in 2015. He will presumably be eligible to play for the Black Bears in 2017.

RELATED: Take deep look at IMG's football program

Martin thanked IMG and said it was an "unforgettable experience,

"There is nothing like home, playing football and making memories with the people you love the most," he wrote on Twitter, "so I am transferring back to Austin High School."

Martin becomes the second Alabama player to have a short stay at IMG.

Buckhorn linebacker Will Ignont transferred to IMG in January – at the same time as Martin – but stayed only a few months and then returned to Buckhorn, where he played his senior season.
ADVERTISING

Martin, a 6-foot, 190-pounder, is a four-star prospect, according to 247sports Composite, and is the 11th-best running back nationally in the Class of 2017 [sic].

It's unclear if Martin will finish the season with IMG (9-0), which is scheduled to play Chaminade-Madonna on Saturday. IMG has three more games on its schedule. Immediate efforts to reach Martin failed, and Austin is playing Pell City tonight in the first round of the 2016 Class 6A playoffs.

"We love Asa to death. He's a great young man. He's a great athlete," Austin coach Jeremy Perkins after tonight's 41-19 victory over Pell City. "It'll be great to see him wearing orange and black again. However, I do want to point out my focus right now is the current football team and what they're doing and making a strong playoff run."

Note that Asa Martin is the #11 RB in the Class o' '18 not '17 as noted in the article.  Transferring this late except for academic reasons would reflect poorly on young Martin unless he suffered a head injury.  The head injury was apparently suffered by writer Josh Bean.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/796507069457334273

QuoteHogs currently have 19 commits in the class and are expected to sign 23 to 25 total. The class is currently No. 19 nationally with 15 3-star and four 4-star commits.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/798163873861926912

Quote"First off, their record is impeccable and outstanding," Tianna Hicks told SEC Country. "They have top-notch facilities. Nick Saban is a hard-working guy and serious about his business. I love how he runs the team, and I just love the whole program. I like the educational side of the program and I like how they take care of the players as far as tutoring, health care, housing, food — all of the things that moms worry about.

"I feel really comfortable that Saban and the team are going to take care of my son."

Will his freshman carries be on TV or on the scout team against Bama's 1st team defense?

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/799267263400603649

Quote3-star LB Josh Paul, De La Salle High School (New Orleans): Committed to the Hogs since June

3-star LB Tyler Dunning, St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.): Dunning released his top-5 schools last March, with Arkansas and three other SEC schools among them. Mississippi State was not one of them.

3-star LB Thomas Johnston, Spanish Fort (Ala.) High School: Johnston recently broke Alabama's all-time tackles record. He's been a primary focus for the Hogs...

Class o' ' 16 By the numbers

1: 5-star prospect signed by Mississippi State
    1: 5-star prospect signed by Arkansas
    5: Arkansas signees with an offer from Mississippi State
    2: Mississippi State signees with an offer from Arkansas
    5: 4-star prospects signed by Arkansas
    3: 4-star prospects signed by Mississippi State
    23: The final class ranking for Arkansas
    28: The final class ranking for Mississippi State

Most competitive signings

4-star DL Briston Guidry (Ark.): A one-time Mississippi State commit

4-star DT Austin Capps (Ark.): Mississippi State was among the final schools in consideration for Capps

3-star TE Grayson Gunter (Ark.): Coming out of Madison (Miss.) Central High School, just two hours south of Starkville

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Myles Brennan ‏@mylesbrennan12 15h15 hours ago

This is not a De-commit, this is a way to explore all other options as LSU is going through transitions to have a back up plan if needed!

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 15h15 hours ago

Tua Tagovailoa to USA Today earlier today.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jesse Re Simonton ‏@JesseReSimonton 2h2 hours ago

Per @SECcountry, @landof10 sources, Nick Saban and Urban Meyer set for in-home visits with 5⭐️Trey Smith one day before his Dec. 6 decision.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/804479746163822592

QuoteArkansas: TE Jeremy Patton

JUCO 4-star TE Jeremy Patton is Arkansas' second-highest-rated recruit in the Class of 2017.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol