Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our Defense

Started by razorbackfaninar, November 07, 2017, 03:07:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

I know this has been talked about ad nauseam, but I just got back from lunch with a friend and we were discussing the team and their downfall and what got us to this point.  We were talking primarily about the defense and trying to have a reasonable discussion about how they could possibly be this bad, and I swear I can't figure it out.  It's fair to say we have less talent than Alabama or Auburn, or a host of our SEC brethren. I'll concede that the defensive talent level is not championship caliber, but to have a defense that is going on two years of historically bad performances, I can't get my head around it. Right now we are 117th in the country on 3rd down conversions, we are 107th on 4th down conversions we are 123rd in the country in Red Zone Defense, 111th in scoring defense, we are 95th at rushing defense and our two best statistical categories are 1st downs allowed (66th) and what really surprised me, passing defense (80th). In total defense we are 92nd wedged right between the power houses of Ball State and Florida Atlantic. 

Right now calculating just against in-conference opponents we are 116th in the country in total defense, that's not including the fact that we still have to play LSU, MO and MS State who are definitely going to put up yardage.  Last year we were 113th.  in 2015 we were 74th.  In 2014 we were 49th, in 2013 we were 105th.  In 2012 what I had considered at the time to be about as low as our program could get we were 59th when adjusting just for games played against in conference opponents. How can our defense be this bad?  What are the contributing factors, it can't be talent alone can it?

hogsanity

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 07, 2017, 03:07:18 pm
I know this has been talked about ad nauseam, but I just got back from lunch with a friend and we were discussing the team and their downfall and what got us to this point.  We were talking primarily about the defense and trying to have a reasonable discussion about how they could possibly be this bad, and I swear I can't figure it out.  It's fair to say we have less talent than Alabama or Auburn, or a host of our SEC brethren. I'll concede that the defensive talent level is not championship caliber, but to have a defense that is going on two years of historically bad performances, I can't get my head around it. Right now we are 117th in the country on 3rd down conversions, we are 107th on 4th down conversions we are 123rd in the country in Red Zone Defense, 111th in scoring defense, we are 95th at rushing defense and our two best statistical categories are 1st downs allowed (66th) and what really surprised me, passing defense (80th). In total defense we are 92nd wedged right between the power houses of Ball State and Florida Atlantic. 

Right now calculating just against in-conference opponents we are 116th in the country in total defense, that's not including the fact that we still have to play LSU, MO and MS State who are definitely going to put up yardage.  Last year we were 113th.  in 2015 we were 74th.  In 2014 we were 49th, in 2013 we were 105th.  In 2012 what I had considered at the time to be about as low as our program could get we were 59th when adjusting just for games played against in conference opponents. How can our defense be this bad?  What are the contributing factors, it can't be talent alone can it?

In many years when the Hogs have not had great defensive talent, they were still very good on the back end. Safety play often saved the team. I think it was during the Auburn game, one of our safeties came up and made a hit, but did not wrap up. The announcer said " he is a big hitter but not a good tackler ". Our safeties also tend to have tow or 3 busts per game, and it usually costs them 2 or 3 big plays.

But overall small and slow on defense. And that gets you killed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

26.2Hog

Not to worry.  The coaches will look at the film this week and get all that corrected.

jst01

Speed and effort.  We lack both, IMO.  We have a few guys that this isn't the case with, but with the majority of D players, this is the problem. We need some more guys that played with the intensity of Bua.

Al Boarland

havok

"We're getting close.."   close enough to hang with a 1-7 win Sunbelt team with an interm coach, back up QB and O-Line made up of Freshmen and a Soph. 

This time next year, at this rate we might be able to keep The Auburn game within 21 points.

Sed76

Last year Robb Smith and scheme was the blame. This year we have a coach the players supposedly love and would run through a wall for yet can't tackle. 3-4, 4-3 or whatever you call it sucks. Most thought they would be at least a little better this year but not even close.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 07, 2017, 03:07:18 pm

Well for the 1st down stat. you don't give up many first downs when you give up yards in huge chunks.

Andrew Hogfan

I don't know what has been wrong with the D for the last few years.  But Saturday night,  it straight looked like they weren't trying. I still don't know what I witnessed.  Someone please explain to me how our D line didn't dominate that game.  I'll tell you why,  they don't care.  Very little effort.  Not from all 11, but maybe 8/11. It's the only thing I can think of.  4 freshman and a sophomore on their o line....  We should have been pushing them into the qb and rbs all night
WPS!!!

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on November 07, 2017, 05:18:30 pm
I don't know what has been wrong with the D for the last few years.  But Saturday night,  it straight looked like they weren't trying. I still don't know what I witnessed.  Someone please explain to me how our D line didn't dominate that game.  I'll tell you why,  they don't care.  Very little effort.  Not from all 11, but maybe 8/11. It's the only thing I can think of.  4 freshman and a sophomore on their o line....  We should have been pushing them into the qb and rbs all night
From what I could see watching the re-play, the d-line took plays off and were barely leaning on the O-line; I saw v. little effort. 

Danny J

You can't play bend but don't break when A...you are not a good tackling team and B...you have HORRENDOUS safety play. We have good talent up front but only rush 3 80% of the time and rely on the worst parts of our defense to carry the load which is confusing to say the least.

elviscat

Defense, win championships and our sucks