Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Riviera

Started by EastexHawg, February 13, 2018, 09:14:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

I just saw a story that said Tiger is "headlining" the Riviera field.  He's playing the first two days with Justin Thomas and Rory.  Rory is inconsistent as hell...he may win by six shots or he may miss the cut...but Justin will be able to give Tiger two a side and still beat him like a tied up goat.

I'm looking for Tiger to see Thomas outdriving him by half a block and start trying to kill it.  If that happens be sure to wear a helmet if you're way right of the fairway.

GolfNut57

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 13, 2018, 09:14:23 pm
I just saw a story that said Tiger is "headlining" the Riviera field.  He's playing the first two days with Justin Thomas and Rory.  Rory is inconsistent as hell...he may win by six shots or he may miss the cut...but Justin will be able to give Tiger two a side and still beat him like a tied up goat.

I'm looking for Tiger to see Thomas outdriving him by half a block and start trying to kill it.  If that happens be sure to wear a helmet if you're way right of the fairway.

How does a guy that is so far down the golf rankings "headline" the Riviera field with Thomas and McIlroy in it? Is the list of competitors for the event that bad? Or is this just more of the media trying to pump up their golden boy of yesteryear?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

EastexHawg

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 13, 2018, 09:59:01 pm
How does a guy that is so far down the golf rankings "headline" the Riviera field with Thomas and McIlroy in it? Is the list of competitors for the event that bad? Or is this just more of the media trying to pump up their golden boy of yesteryear?

They are trying to capitalize on his return to golf before he plays enough for the people who haven't been paying attention and are still expecting him to be a major force to figure out that he is washed up.

ricepig

Well, hopefully we will be able to watch every swing, no matter how many there are.......

Jim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2018, 09:45:40 am
Well, hopefully we will be able to watch every swing, no matter how many there are.......

And there's why he's still a "headliner." There is not another golfer that the average fan would want to watch every swing, whether the result is good or bad. I hope he stays out of the kikuyu more often than not and makes the cut for the weekend.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 14, 2018, 10:01:40 am
And there's why he's still a "headliner." There is not another golfer that the average fan would want to watch every swing, whether the result is good or bad. I hope he stays out of the kikuyu more often than not and makes the cut for the weekend.

Personally, I don't care what he does, I would just prefer that they show us the leaders. I understand on Thursday and Friday we get the "primo" group in the time slot, no problem.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 14, 2018, 09:45:40 am

There is no doubt about that.  We'll also see him walking around the green reading every putt, throwing grass into the air to judge the wind, drinking a bottle of water, eating an energy bar, and doing everything else he does.

"Here's Dustin Johnson putting for eagle to take the outright lead, but first let's go forward to 17 where Tiger is tying his shoe.  Ian, are those 34 inch or 36 inch laces?  In fact, let's go back and watch Tiger tying his shoe alongside the 16th tee at Augusta during the 2002 Masters.  Look at the deft touch.  He had it then and he still has it now!"

GolfNut57

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 14, 2018, 12:38:55 pm
There is no doubt about that.  We'll also see him walking around the green reading every putt, throwing grass into the air to judge the wind, drinking a bottle of water, eating an energy bar, and doing everything else he does.

"Here's Dustin Johnson putting for eagle to take the outright lead, but first let's go forward to 17 where Tiger is tying his shoe.  Ian, are those 34 inch or 36 inch laces?  In fact, let's go back and watch Tiger tying his shoe alongside the 16th tee at Augusta during the 2002 Masters.  Look at the deft touch.  He had it then and he still has it now!"

That's pretty funny.  ;D
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 14, 2018, 12:38:55 pm

Knew you'd want to know, Tiger's on the range before his round and Golf Channel's "Tiger Tracker" is describing it all for us.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

kingofdequeen

i would have Tiger's babies.   hope he wins by eleventy.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on February 15, 2018, 11:07:12 am
i would have Tiger's babies.   hope he wins by eleventy.

I'm concerned about your life choices, dude. 

And it's not "Riviera."  It'll forever be the Glen Campbell L.A. Open.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 15, 2018, 12:50:08 pm

touch late, my friend.

EastexHawg

"Hi I'm Glen Campbell!"

I miss Glen.  The last time I went fishing and camping we played a bunch of his music around the campfire and tried to drink as much as he would have if he had been there.

ocsm158

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 14, 2018, 02:10:32 pm
That's pretty funny.  ;D

I watched the pre-game show yesterday hoping to get some info on Bill Haas and that is exactly what the entire two hour show was. Not one word of Haas almost losing his life but they had time to show Tiger going into the bathroom after coming up short on a par 3. You couldn't have described it better. About the only thing they did not show were his baby pics from the maternity ward.

GolfNut57

Oops.....the Genesis lost their headliner for the weekend. But on the bright side of things he'll have more time to practice hitting fairways for the Honda next week.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 16, 2018, 08:35:47 pm
Oops.....the Genesis lost their headliner for the weekend. But on the bright side of things he'll have more time to practice hitting fairways for the Honda next week.

He'll have a better chance hitting the Honda's in the parking lots, than the fairways.

Iwastherein1969

Well, there goes the tournament, it means nothing now that Eldrick no longer will lead the coverage. Sort of congruent with the politics of our country post first minority President. Golf without a viable Eldrick and the Presidency without Obama will never be the same. I guess once you go Cablinasian or Mulatto, you can never go back.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Dillar Dog

17 posts before some idiot tries to turn it political.

I'm impressed.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Dillar Dog on February 17, 2018, 11:47:43 am
17 posts before some idiot tries to turn it political.

I'm impressed.
Since you are likely speaking of my tongue in cheek post allow me to correct you. If you meant it was the 17th post "before some idiot tries to turn it political" you should have posted the following. "16 posts before some idiot tries to turn it political". Understand the meaning of the word before, Dillar ? The way you laid it down was that 17 posts had past when along came an idiot who tries to turn it (the thread I'm assuming) political. Actually you claimed your post was the culprit when it was actually mine.

ad: Nothing personal. I don't even mind you calling me an idiot. It's the zeigeist of the new millennium.

Dillar Dog

I see your white flag.

It's cool.

Jackrabbit Hog

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Dillar Dog on February 17, 2018, 10:39:28 pm
I see your white flag.

It's cool.
Oh yet another 2000's invention. Someone must win and someone must lose in posting. I'll gladly take the L.

EastexHawg

The announcers on both PGA Tour Radio and TV talked about Tiger as if he were Arnold Palmer at age 75 or a 14 year old playing on a sponsor's exemption.  "That's really not a bad shot from there."  Or..."that one found the fairway.  Good one, Tiger."  It was patronizing and almost sad. 

I don't think there are ten people who really believe Tiger is ever going to win anything of any consequence, and Tiger isn't one of them.  The objective isn't to win, it's to make cuts and not embarrass himself.  I won't be surprised if he decides enough is enough and retires before long...or comes up with an "injury" on a Friday when he is headed for another missed cut.

HognitiveDissonance

CBS did a little tribute to Glen Campbell yesterday. Said he was the host of the tourney from 1971-1983, and had a 3-handicap.

Has anyone ever played Riviera? That looks like a tough course.

GolfNut57

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 19, 2018, 08:53:01 am
And the game will be much better off when he leaves because at present, Woods is a distraction (at best).  The state of the game today is outstanding without him - something that broadcast coverage priorities have yet to recognize.

I just hope he doesn't turn into one of those past superstars who are long past their glory days but yet try to hang on to what they can no longer do. See Laura Davies. He'll just end up tarnishing his image and embarrass himself.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on February 19, 2018, 05:27:33 pm
See Laura Davies.

No thanks.  My eyes are damaged enough already.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 19, 2018, 06:17:37 pm
No thanks.  My eyes are damaged enough already.

Seriously.  Out of all the possible players to cite as examples...Laura Davies? 

GolfNut57

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 19, 2018, 09:04:46 pm
Seriously.  Out of all the possible players to cite as examples...Laura Davies?

Sorry but she is always the first one I think of when it comes to a golfer trying to play pro golf despite being WAY past her prime.