Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which team do you not want in the first round

Started by checkraiser88, March 11, 2018, 12:02:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

With us being a 6/7 seed there's several possibilities. I'll start, Oklahoma. Not only have we played them already but they could be a potential 11 seed steal with Young

Porky McGee

There are a few. Just read two separate bracket projections that were updated this morning that have us as a 6 seed playing Loyola-Chicago. Would be matched up with 3 seeded Michigan and if we were lucky enough to get by them.....UNC in the sweet 16.

checkraiser88

Quote from: Porky McGee on March 11, 2018, 12:09:15 pm
There are a few. Just read two separate bracket projections that were updated this morning that have us as a 6 seed playing Loyola-Chicago. Would be matched up with 3 seeded Michigan and if we were lucky enough to get by them.....UNC in the sweet 16.

I actually like that bracket compared to others

thebignasty

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 11, 2018, 12:02:34 pm
With us being a 6/7 seed there's several possibilities. I'll start, Oklahoma. Not only have we played them already but they could be a potential 11 seed steal with Young

Dunno, Oklahoma has been imploding.  Its always possible that they find it against us, but I wouldn't hate that match up.

Porky McGee

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 11, 2018, 12:34:53 pm
I actually like that bracket compared to others
Yeah I just saw Lunardi's bracket has us as a 7 playing USC in Nashville then getting Duke in the 2nd round. That is almost worst case scenario, Duke is a horrible matchup for us.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Porky McGee on March 11, 2018, 12:55:26 pm
Yeah I just saw Lunardi's bracket has us as a 7 playing USC in Nashville then getting Duke in the 2nd round. That is almost worst case scenario, Duke is a horrible matchup for us.

Yup.  This ;looks like exactly what I would expect:  First a USC team that will get an earful all week of being overrated followed, if they survive by a 2 seed Duke that will be looking to make a statement on its way to another sweet 16.

Sad thing is his other three region 7th seed draws aren't much better.  Indeed at would be iffy to even get to the 2nd game in some cases:

Providence/North Carolina in Charlotte
Floridsa St./Perdue in Detroit
UCLA/Cincy in Pittsburgh

Barring a scheduling quirk granting Arkansas a lucky break I'd say the record of 23 years without a Sweet 16 is a very safe bet.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Porky McGee on March 11, 2018, 12:55:26 pm

I actually think we could match up well with Duke.  Gafford can play in the paint with their guys, Barford and Macon are not going to let angry white guy beat them.  And I bet Hall would love to D up that wing jump shooter they have. 

We could have a worse matchup than Duke, someone with a big strong paint presence or top guard draft pick. 

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 11, 2018, 03:27:42 pm
I actually think we could match up well with Duke.  Gafford can play in the paint with their guys, Barford and Macon are not going to let angry white guy beat them.  And I bet Hall would love to D up that wing jump shooter they have. 

We could have a worse matchup than Duke, someone with a big strong paint presence or top guard draft pick. 

Duke would outshoot us 87-2 at the free throw line.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 11, 2018, 03:32:07 pm
Duke would outshoot us 87-2 at the free throw line.

Uh-huh.

Duke is one of the few major powers where Arkansas still holds the series edge at 2-1 mainly because the last game in the series was 1994.  Coach K has been waiting 24 years for revenge and he has the perfect thug in his lineup to drive Arkansas players to make all those fouls.

Gonzo

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 11, 2018, 03:22:06 pm
Yup.  This ;looks like exactly what I would expect:  First a USC team that will get an earful all week of being overrated followed, if they survive by a 2 seed Duke that will be looking to make a statement on its way to another sweet 16.

Sad thing is his other three region 7th seed draws aren't much better.  Indeed at would be iffy to even get to the 2nd game in some cases:

Providence/North Carolina in Charlotte
Floridsa St./Perdue in Detroit
UCLA/Cincy in Pittsburgh

Barring a scheduling quirk granting Arkansas a lucky break I'd say the record of 23 years without a Sweet 16 is a very safe bet.

Well, by definition (and math), a 7th seed is not supposed to make the Sweet 16, so any seed from at least 6 down should be facing a tough road and be an upset to make the second weekend.

That being said, I think the Hogs, Tenn, Fla, and UK all have good chances to make week 2, though the Hogs are probably the most matchup dependent. As a borderline 2/3, Tenn should probably be a disappointment if they don't. The other 4 I would be pretty surprised to see still alive come Sunday evening.

4 SEC teams in the Sweet 16 would be a pretty good showing imo, never know from there.

Go Hogs!

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Randohoggie

Hog_Fink