Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Importance of Seeding for the Hogs (Selection Sunday Thread)

Started by Porked Tongue, March 10, 2018, 11:10:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

I think they've played their way to no worse than a 7.  Some have them at 6.

The huge thing is to avoid being an 8/9.  Obviously, as an 8/9 you win and play the 1.  As a 7 a win and you play the 2(assuming they won).  But as a 6, you get the 3 seed.

I think this is a huge deal for the Hogs. I can see them winning a 3/6 game this year given the right matchup.

BTW, the selection show is a different format this year.  They announce the teams in the first few minutes then come back and show regions, seeds and matchups.  No 30 min sweat or leaking of the bracket in advance.  (f that's already been talked about, forgive me for duplication)

alohawg

Interesting,  so all teams will know if they're in at once?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Porked Tongue

Quote from: alohawg on March 10, 2018, 11:21:32 pm
Interesting,  so all teams will know if they're in at once?
At the beginning of the show, they will read them off without stopping for all the comments.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

hobhog

I think we will be a 7, with an outside shot at a 6. 6 would be better seed but regardless  hopefully in Dallas or Nashville.

hogsanity

Seeding for the Hogs is not as important as the matchups even in the dreaded 8/9 slot. The hogs crytonite is a excellent PG or good guards with wings that can shoot the 3.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorhead94

Quote from: hogsanity on March 11, 2018, 10:02:23 am
Seeding for the Hogs is not as important as the matchups even in the dreaded 8/9 slot. The hogs crytonite is a excellent PG or good guards with wings that can shoot the 3.

Like Florida?
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogsanity on March 11, 2018, 10:02:23 am

Actually that would be all the teams kryptonite

razobak

Bracketville (most accurate bracketology over the past 5 years) still has us as a 6.

bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Porked Tongue

As I stated in the OP, matchups are always crucial but the higher seeded teams are more likely to create the more difficult matchups.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Breems

I don't really see the point in the new format of the show. 99% of viewers will keep watching to find out the seed/matchup anyway, so why not reveal it all at the same time? The anticipation is fun.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

checkraiser88

Quote from: Breems on March 11, 2018, 11:06:31 am
I don't really see the point in the new format of the show. 99% of viewers will keep watching to find out the seed/matchup anyway, so why not reveal it all at the same time? The anticipation is fun.

Agreed Breems, it's pretty dumb, I always liked the drama

RazorSax

With TBS buying the rights, I assume this was their attempt at changing things up. I'm not a big fan of it though. I always liked seeing teams announced and seeing their teams in their stadiums or rooms going crazy. As Breems said, the anticipation is the best part.

thebignasty

The drama is the best part if you are not a bubble team. Its excruciating when you aren't on solid footing, lol

Oliver

Quote from: hobhog on March 11, 2018, 12:36:27 am
I think we will be a 7, with an outside shot at a 6. 6 would be better seed but regardless  hopefully in Dallas or Nashville.

It appears in the brackets where we are a 7, TCU is a 6 seed.  I don't think they deserve a higher seed than we do.

Porked Tongue

Viewership was down 20+% they determined the advanced leaks were stealing their thunder.  People were finding out sometimes before the actual eyeballs seeing it on tv.

I don't blame them.  The other way had gotten kind of stale.

Either way, it's a fun thing to watch.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 10, 2018, 11:10:20 pm
I think they've played their way to no worse than a 7.  Some have them at 6.

The huge thing is to avoid being an 8/9.  Obviously, as an 8/9 you win and play the 1.  As a 7 a win and you play the 2(assuming they won).  But as a 6, you get the 3 seed.

I think this is a huge deal for the Hogs. I can see them winning a 3/6 game this year given the right matchup.

BTW, the selection show is a different format this year.  They announce the teams in the first few minutes then come back and show regions, seeds and matchups.  No 30 min sweat or leaking of the bracket in advance.  (f that's already been talked about, forgive me for duplication)

They're going to announce all teams in the bracket in alphabetical order, then come back and announce seeding and brackets. 

rhames

Arkansas is either a 6 or 7.

Does the committee value the tournament win over Flordia enough to fully bump us up to a six? Guess we will find out.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorhead94 on March 11, 2018, 10:06:03 am
Like Florida?

Yes. I didnt say the Hogs lose to those teams every time but FL killed them at FLa, LSU pounded them twice, NC and Hou beat them and TN ran them out of the gym yesterday.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OkieBack

Quote from: rhames on March 11, 2018, 12:55:41 pm
Arkansas is either a 6 or 7.

Does the committee value the tournament win over Flordia enough to fully bump us up to a six? Guess we will find out.

If Arkansas is not a 6 seed then what 4 teams knock the Hogs down to the 7?  I see 3 teams in the Top 25 with 23 or fewer wins.  I also see 3 teams with 10 or more losses. 

So if I'm on the committee and I'm picking the 4th team to fill the 6 seeds and it ain't Arkansas, who is it?  WV, Florida, Clemson, Miami?  I could argue a case for Arkansas against all of those teams.  I'm not seeing a massive diff between a 6 and 7 seed as like they say, its all about the match-ups.  Should be interesting here in a few hours...

rhames

Quote from: OkieBack on March 11, 2018, 01:38:14 pm
If Arkansas is not a 6 seed then what 4 teams knock the Hogs down to the 7?  I see 3 teams in the Top 25 with 23 or fewer wins.  I also see 3 teams with 10 or more losses. 

So if I'm on the committee and I'm picking the 4th team to fill the 6 seeds and it ain't Arkansas, who is it?  WV, Florida, Clemson, Miami?  I could argue a case for Arkansas against all of those teams.  I'm not seeing a massive diff between a 6 and 7 seed as like they say, its all about the match-ups.  Should be interesting here in a few hours...

Hey I'm not disagreeing with you. Having 8 teams in from the conference could lead to some weird seedings.

Regardless arkansas is on that 7/6 line in most projections.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

alohawg

Arkansas will be a 6 or 7, whichever conveniently puts us in UNC's bracket.....
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

jgphillips3

I think we absolutely earned a 6.  I fully expect us to be a 6.