Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you rather..

Started by Mellon Collie, March 10, 2018, 10:23:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellon Collie

Win SEC tourney

or

Make it to elite 8

i think id rather win the SEC tourney, but i can be swayed.

PonderinHog

Breems

Let me just speak for everyone else on the board: Elite Eight, no question.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hoggie17

Quote from: Breems on March 10, 2018, 10:25:57 am
This, without question.

raz1965

Sec tourney is a championship, the hogs need one

Mellon Collie

but you get to hang a banner with an sec title. it's a championship win.

i like banners and championships.

but the elite 8 helps with exposure. i get it.

The Waterboy

Mellon Collie

RaisinHog

davril98

Elite 8 definitely. Because then you at least had a shot at the final four.

k.c.hawg

When you make an Elite Eight you play 4 games on the biggest stagem of the sport. You will have most likely knocked off a couple of Top 25 teams and played in prime time on a Thurs/Fri and have a 2nd weekend game on the national stage.

No comparison.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HogBreath

Elite eight yes, but on the other hand, I'd hate seeing us lose to the Tinner or Kaintuck or Alabubba idiots.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hog.goblin

Elite 8
SEC regular season champs
SEC tourney champs

In that order

TNhawgfan

Depends. Do we get to finally beat Kentucky in an SEC final? We've never done that, so i would go that route
I still remember us choking away a late lead in 95. I cried that day
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BigBrandonAllenFan

Win the SEC tourney, then Final 4. 

We haven't won very many SEC tourneys, like only 1 comes to mind, when we were slated to not make the NCAA tourney, then we lost to Miami in the first round of the NCAA tourney.. 

jgphillips3

Elite 8 any day.  Now make it a regular season SEC title and it's a tougher choice.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Mellon Collie on March 10, 2018, 10:23:43 am
Win SEC tourney

or

Make it to elite 8

Well since I am a winner and I don't do either or's...I walk in and take all your finest meats AND cheese's....

I want both.

PRJ

Swinesong1

If you're about the "good of the program", elite eight and it ain't even close.  No one but fans of the program remembers a conference banner.  The nation and the national media remembers an elite eight run. 

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

GuvHog

Win SEC tourney

or

Make it to elite 8

There really is no "or". The correct answer is "BOTH".
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Razorback_Mack

I'd rather go to a sweet 16 than win the conference tourney. Not even close. This is not a legitimate question to anyone that follows college basketball.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 10, 2018, 11:10:00 am
I'd rather go to a sweet 16 than win the conference tourney. Not even close. This is not a legitimate question to anyone that follows college basketball.
Oh really, then why did it mean so much to Nolan? I remember after he finally won one, him talking about how good it finally felt to win an SEC tournament. And he had already been to 3 final fours and won a NC
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

#1 STUNNA

elite 8 everyday of the week and twice on sunday!!!

raz1965

I agree we all want both but either is great too me, but want the championship banner.

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2018, 11:08:18 am
There really is no "or". The correct answer is "BOTH".

This. Win them all.

40MINSOFHELL

Elite 8? We haven't made the sweet 16 in a long time. Got to make it there first.

Nolan's Boots

Elite 8 all day. Shoot I'd sacrifice the dog for another final 4..... Sorry Marshall.
Pigs Gon Fly Today Brotha

King Kong

Elite 8. No question it just means more.

Now last year beating Malik Monk in the SEC. I might have taken it over a Sweet 16. But only to stick it to Monk

Mellon Collie

based on the current situation, I'd like to change my answer to elite 8.

Oliver

Win SEC tourney

or

Make it to elite 8

SEC Tourney

GoHogzzGo

If only it were that easy. But elite eight of course and it isn't even close.

Program gets way more notoriety at elite eight so not really debatable.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

oldbooniehog

Does anybody remember when doing both in the same season was actually a realistic expectation for a Hog fan to have?

JONAS

Elite Eight.  Hell, I'd rather go to the Sweet Sixteen than win an SEC Tournament.

AFWarrior83

NCAA tourney > SEC tourney. Making it to the elite eight makes a bigger statement imo. An SEC championship would be nice, but I want to make a deep run in the big dance!
Hogville member since 2005.

HammusArkansus

Elite 8 - more national attention than with conference title.  Might help expand recruiting base.

hawganatic

Win the SEC Tournament you get to cut nets down and put a trophy on display. 

Elite 8 not so much...

BroyledNutts

March 10, 2018, 04:46:19 pm #36 Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:11:28 pm by BroyledNutts

raz1965

Ok I'm in for the elite 8 now that we are out of the SEC tourney, final 4 would be nice also.

hawganatic

Quote from: King Kong on March 10, 2018, 11:35:42 am

Now last year beating Malik Monk in the SEC. I might have taken it over a Sweet 16. But only to stick it to Monk

So what does the Elite 8 really mean?  Can you name the 8 teams from last year's tournament, without looking it up?  South Carolina made it to Final Four.  Did that do much for them this season?

Maybe if the question were changed to would you rather win the SEC tournament, or go to the Elite 8 on a REGULAR basis, I could agree.  As it stands right now, we need to get back to winning championships and building the trophy case up again.  That starts with winning the regular season, and the the SEC tournament.

la20688

THIS, THIS & THIS!

kp72204

Quote from: hawganatic on March 10, 2018, 04:50:31 pm
So what does the Elite 8 really mean?  Can you name the 8 teams from last year's tournament, without looking it up?  South Carolina made it to Final Four.  Did that do much for them this season?

Maybe if the question were changed to would you rather win the SEC tournament, or go to the Elite 8 on a REGULAR basis, I could agree.  As it stands right now, we need to get back to winning championships and building the trophy case up again.  That starts with winning the regular season, and the the SEC tournament.
Agreed!!! Throw in the George Mason Final Four from 10 or 11 years ago and what did it do for recruiting? I'm still waiting for them to make a movie about that run, but it will probably never happen. For as great as were once were, who, really talks about 94 besides us here. That team is immortalized and plaques, banners, pics the whole 9. Hell the Joe Johnson led SEC Championship is still talked bout (rarely, but we still do). I love this team and I'd like them to be remembered for a great accomplishment Elite eight is nice and all but will they be taking pics and putting something in the building or will they be another Uncle Rico scenario (if coach would put me in the game ).

texas tush hog

Quote from: King Kong on March 10, 2018, 11:35:42 am

Wrecking his car in Road Hog Park and pictures splashed all over Hogville, was good for something, LOL.

PintailKiller

This ^^^^
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

hobhog

That would be "things that Mike Anderson will never achieve at Arkansas , Alex".

razorback1829

Quote from: hobhog on March 10, 2018, 06:53:53 pm
That would be "things that Mike Anderson will never achieve at Arkansas , Alex".

Welcome back. That ass sure was quiet last night after the Florida game huh? LOL

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Thinking about this last night, a part of me actually saw the good in losing today, getting home early to get ready for the tournament.

Also... If I was a recruit, I would be more impressed with NCAAT success than a conference tournament championship.

AlmaHog2011

Win SEC tourney

or

Make it to elite 8

Elite 8 no contest.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: oldbooniehog on March 10, 2018, 04:38:28 pm
Does anybody remember when doing both in the same season was actually a realistic expectation for a Hog fan to have?

When was that? Haven't we only won the SEC Tourney once?

sickboy

I thought about this and the truth is Elite 8. Honestly, conference championships are just footnotes to help recruit kids. I'm sure they're nice to have. But making it to the Elite 8 gets your program so much more national exposure it can't even be compared. Getting Elite 8 exposure is huge for the program.

hobhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 10, 2018, 07:05:47 pm
Welcome back. That ass sure was quiet last night after the Florida game huh? LOL

I enjoyed that win immensely.