Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Tourney

Started by HogFaninMemphis, January 18, 2018, 08:16:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFaninMemphis

Things look real rough, but as has been mentioned here before, we probably get in with 9-9 or maybe even 8-10, depending on who we beat the rest of the way.
If we go on a run and finish with 10 or 11 losses overall, I think we're fine.
Is this season a failure if that happens?
Keep in mind that this team was barely projected to make the tournament before the year started, and Gafford has been better than expected.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 18, 2018, 08:16:05 am
Things look real rough, but as has been mentioned here before, we probably get in with 9-9 or maybe even 8-10, depending on who we beat the rest of the way.
Keep in mind that this team was barely projected to make the tournament before the year started, and Gafford has been better than expected.

Pre season, no that would not be a failure. Only lose 2 in the ooc, and beat OU, then come out and lose 10 or 11 sec games, yes, failure. 

And, the SEC is a bit or a mirage. Yes, it has a great rpi/bpi thanks to scheduling and some ooc wins, but the sec is not a juggernaut.  LSU rolls the Hogs in BWA then goes home and loses to GA. Ky loses to SC, etc. IT is not like you look at the SEC and see 3 or 4 potential Final 4 teams. You look at it and see a bunch of teams that likely get in at around 7-9 seed range, but a couple of those teams are going to play their way out too. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

We can go on a run and still get in, of course.  But if we are on the bubble, I think that the nature of our losses is going to hurt us and keep us out.  We haven't been just losing games, we've been getting shellacked.  And all of these games are televised so these huge losses are leaving a lasting impression.

The NewEra

If Arkansas is a bubble team then the committee will likely pass on us because of the way this team loses games.  This team has shown zero ability to play competitively against an even mediocre team on the road. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: The NewEra on January 18, 2018, 08:36:16 am
If Arkansas is a bubble team then the committee will likely pass on us because of the way this team loses games.  This team has shown zero ability to play competitively against an even mediocre team on the road. 
Does the committee care how or by how much we lose games? My understanding is they basically just look at wins and losses, plus the eye test for how teams are playing at the end of the season.

Kevin

how in 7 years is the team at the level that the hogs are barely projected to make the tournament.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The NewEra

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 18, 2018, 09:43:10 am
Does the committee care how or by how much we lose games? My understanding is they basically just look at wins and losses, plus the eye test for how teams are playing at the end of the season.

I honestly don't know the answer to that, but if they look at competitiveness throughout the season it will surely hurt us.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2018, 09:44:17 am
how in 7 years is the team at the level that the hogs are barely projected to make the tournament.
This was supposed to be a down year, as is next year. The next expected good team is supposed to be 2019-2020. I don't particularly like that either, but squeaking into the tournament in a down year isn't exactly a disaster.

Kevin

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 18, 2018, 10:28:06 am
This was supposed to be a down year, as is next year. The next expected good team is supposed to be 2019-2020. I don't particularly like that either, but squeaking into the tournament in a down year isn't exactly a disaster.

oh, the Houston nutt two year pass.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

swinesation

Who said this was supposed to be a down year? Most people seem to think this was supposed to be OUR YEAR. I know I did. Next year will be the down year, which is scary considering how this year is trending.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Look at Vandy last year.  They were 17-12 before the SEC T and 19-13 coming out of it.  Got in based on their RPI & SOS
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

navyhog24

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2018, 09:44:17 am

And with 6 seniors....Piss poor coaching and recruiting. He refuses to recruit a true PG and a decently skilled 4. He just recruits 6'6" to 6'8" athletes and doesn't develop them at all. That's why this is the way it is. Not recruiting shooters and basketball players. Just recruiting athletes.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: swinesation on January 18, 2018, 10:36:08 am
Who said this was supposed to be a down year? Most people seem to think this was supposed to be OUR YEAR. I know I did. Next year will be the down year, which is scary considering how this year is trending.
This was definitely going to be a down year had Barford and Macon not returned. Problem with Barford and Macon returning is they're exposing MA's biggest weakness of not being able to coach up players who don't fit his system well.
Also, I'm not excusing the level of performance in year 7. I'm just as frustrated as the rest of you, but we have to be realistic knowing that MA isn't going anywhere as long as he consistently makes the NCAAs. If we squeak in this year, we'll be 3 of 4 years in the tournament. I'd be surprised if we got in next season.

Hogman2

This NCAA possibility is DONE!  This team is DONE!

hogcards

No chance now.  Prior to yesterday, I thought we had to win the next 5 or 6.  Now there's no chance.  Season's over.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Wild Bill Hog

Surely out of 70 teams we can squeak in.  Go 9-9 in the SEC plus all the cupcakes we played.  Surely.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogcards on January 18, 2018, 01:58:33 pm
No chance now.  Prior to yesterday, I thought we had to win the next 5 or 6.  Now there's no chance.  Season's over.
Lunardi has us as 8 after last night's loss. Pundits haven't counted us out, so why are we completely giving up? They're seeing the same games we're seeing.

RazorPiggie

A DOWN YEAR? In year 7? With 6 SRs? NYJMSU

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 18, 2018, 02:02:57 pm
Lunardi has us as 8 after last night's loss. Pundits haven't counted us out, so why are we completely giving up? They're seeing the same games we're seeing.
Consider the source.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2018, 02:07:11 pm
Consider the source.
He's not perfect, but he's reputable. RPI is still 24. We need to play better, but our resume almost certainly means .500 ball in conference makes the tourney. That only requires winning one road game. I still expect us to make the tournament. Not making it at this point requires the team to continue to play this badly, which past teams have shown should not be expected.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on January 18, 2018, 02:12:11 pm
He's not perfect, but he's reputable. RPI is still 24. We need to play better, but our resume almost certainly means .500 ball in conference makes the tourney. That only requires winning one road game. I still expect us to make the tournament. Not making it at this point requires the team to continue to play this badly, which past teams have shown should not be expected.

The past 5 games have given me no reason to think this team can turn it around. They look lost, they make no adjustments, and they can't make free throws or even get to the line for that matter.

lynbug

Seriously, I want to know your opinion.  What 6 or 7 games might we be able to win?  Not being sarcastic, just wanting to now so I can look forward to them.  Only ones I can think of as probable wins are Ole Miss and Vandy.

hogwood

If we are .500 or better in conference we should get in. But it might be as an 8/9 - and I don't know if I could watch if we're lucky enough to get to the 2nd round.

Considering my preseason guess was 25-6 (13-5) this team is vastly underachieving IMO, which I think all of us can agree on. I did not think Gafford would be this good but I also expected other players to be better. We have 6 seniors and 7 4* recruits on this roster (including Garland). We should be in the top 20 without a doubt in my mind.

But the season is not a failure yet. If we miss the tourney, yes. But we could still get in at 20-11 and make a sweet 16 run, you never know with this team.

ICEman

Getting to the tournament is beginning to look like that scene in Castaway where Tom Hanks and Wilson are floating on a makeshift raft slowly drifting away from his island home.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Hawg Red

I still think we're gonna be in the NCAA tournament. This happens every year where they go into a skid and it looks like Anderson has lost the team (or is lost himself) and just about anyone can beat us. Then we snap out and, for 5-6 games, just about no one (in the SEC) can beat us. Now, we'll see about the latter this year with the league be much tougher. I don't think we have a bad conference win or loss at this point. Florida and Auburn look like strong bets for the NCAAs. LSU has wins over Houston, Michigan, A&M (who I have to think will turn it on once they get everyone able to play), and, of course, Arkansas. Mississippi State isn't a strong loss but I wouldn't say it's a bad loss (yet). They have skidded since beating the Hogs, but have Florida and Auburn out of the way. As for our wins, Missouri just beat Tennessee. They've lost their 2 conference losses by a combined 4 points. Solid team. Tennessee is a good team and that remains a strong win for the Hogs.

I think we're about to reel off 3 straight wins. Macon is on Twitter taking accountability. You know the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, and he did that. We've seen this movie before. Just like we had seen last night's movie before. Even down to KeVaughn Allen busting out of his slump and having a season-best game against us. The board will be buzzing with excitement going into that A&M road game on the 30th. Once our guards get back to a more driving attack and where they can convert at the foul line and stop forcing ISO and going for the step-back long jumper, we'll get back to our winning/competitive ways. I realize we've been awful at FT shooting, but 67 of 124 FT attempts in conference play have come from frontcourt players (i.e. our worst FT shooters). And that's counting the UT game were our guards actually did get to the line for 21 of 33 attempts. Take that game out and our frontcourt has attempted 60% of our FT attempts. Our senior guards aren't getting to the line enough, and it really isn't because the refs aren't calling fouls. It's mostly because they are settling for bad jumpers.

majp51

OK let's take that at face value what is our most likely path to do that? We are already at loss # 6 and have yet to show that we can play a particularly close game on the road:

So until/unless a major shift happens that is an automatic 6 more losses. We also have Auburn and Kentucky at home, as well as a very good USC-E team.

Now under pressure CMA has changed acting in the past (2016) and had good success, but unless that happens I see it very easy to have at least 9 more losses on the remaining schedule.

That would result in 13 losses in the SEC and 15 losses overall. Not exactly a tournament team.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 18, 2018, 02:18:01 pm
The past 5 games have given me no reason to think this team can turn it around. They look lost, they make no adjustments, and they can't make free throws or even get to the line for that matter.

Or close out and move their feet at a 7A HS level, let alone SEC D1 Level. Embarrassing lack of effort.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: hogwood on January 18, 2018, 02:38:48 pm
If we are .500 or better in conference we should get in. But it might be as an 8/9 - and I don't know if I could watch if we're lucky enough to get to the 2nd round.

Considering my preseason guess was 25-6 (13-5) this team is vastly underachieving IMO, which I think all of us can agree on. I did not think Gafford would be this good but I also expected other players to be better. We have 6 seniors and 7 4* recruits on this roster (including Garland). We should be in the top 20 without a doubt in my mind.

But the season is not a failure yet. If we miss the tourney, yes. But we could still get in at 20-11 and make a sweet 16 run, you never know with this team.

A team like this is built for runs. Correction, I mean "a team like this is streaky". Need to get the ship turned soon or else time will be running out on this season. I think they can get it done. Starts with coaching. I'm sure Anderson and staff will be making some changes. They have to! If we can see it, surely they do too.

Pig in the Pokey

NO IT WASNT!! 7 seniors back on a 2nd round team that should have beaten the national champs and we add a ONE-N-DONE! EVERYBODY had us returning to the tourny this year. Dont lie.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Springfield_MO_Razorback

You were listening to the media too much. Never did this thought enter into my head coming into this season with the leadership returning.

majp51

Err, I suggest you go look at the posts from March/April of 2017. Anyone , including myself, that said this could be a bad year because of who was left on the team, and the fact that Gafford look good but very raw, was told we didn't know what we were talking about and that so long as Macon and Barford came back we could easily finish #2, or maybe even win the SEC.

I do love how CMA fans, not necessarily you, love to move the goalposts.

HF#1

It's a shame we are wasting that great non conference RPI. I thought the non conference would have us better prepared to play on the road. That's what I get for thinking.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Justifiable Hogicide

We don't need no stinkin NCAA Tourney.
We got Nolan and Mike Anderson.
40 Minutes Of Hell
Fastest 40
All we need is Love.

hobhog

I don't remember this being considered a down year once Macon and Barford came back. Besides, there are down years, then there are DOWN years. A down year is losing early in NCAA. A DOWN year is not making it at all. We've had lots of those.