Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depleted OL

Started by stahawg, January 17, 2018, 10:48:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stahawg

Many are concerned with our OL numbers on the roster and incoming freshmen/recruits. Well, our OL issues are ongoing as one was recently informed by docs to give up football due to health/physical issues.  Not my place to share specifics so who this is will have to come out on its own. But, our numbers just took another hit.

Pig in the Pokey

ill go ahead and venture a guess...

he was going to be our starting center.

he is from Texas.

he is like, the last , Petrino recruit. Not even sure how he is still here.

ZR
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

redleg

The current starters are: Colton Jackson, Hjalte Froholdt, Zach Rogers, Johnny Gibson, and Brian Wallace.

Scholarship Linemen that will be trying to earn a starting job are: Jalen Merrick, Dalton Wagner, Jake Heinrich, Kirby Adcock, Ty Clary, Shane Clenin, and Deion Malone.

Incoming Linemen: Silas Robinson, Noah Gatlin ... with more to sign potentially.

That's 14 scholarship O-Linemen. That's three deep across the line. While most of them do not have much playing experience, where is the lack of depth?!  :-\
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

LRHawg

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LRHawg on January 17, 2018, 11:03:32 am
If it's ZR ... Ouch.
probably our send or third best guy. Certainly the most experienced. But, being as he has been around for so many years, that's also the obvious "oft-injured" guy who might be told by docs to hang up the cleats.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 17, 2018, 11:00:11 am

he is from Texas.

ZR

He wasn't a BP recruit.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redleg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 17, 2018, 11:00:11 am

he is from Texas.

ZR
Zach Rogers signed in 2015, after missing his senior year of high school due to a knee injury. He was a Bielema kid all of the way. Petrino had zero to do with him. He's still at Arkansas because he's a good player who got stuck behind an All-American (aka Frank Ragnow). If he is still healthy, he'll be the Hogs starting center in 2018. Dude is a bull!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: redleg on January 17, 2018, 11:08:50 am
Zach Rogers signed in 2015, after missing his senior year of high school due to a knee injury. He was a Bielema kid all of the way. Petrino had zero to do with him. He's still at Arkansas because he's a good player who got stuck behind an All-American (aka Frank Ragnow). If he is still healthy, he'll be the Hogs starting center in 2018. Dude is a bull!
yet there are articles saying he is committed as far back as july 2013... dude was a petrino then smiley recruit at first (we offered him his freshman year, before The Wreck for sure), as a freshman iirc, petrino just wasnt here to finish the deal.

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2013/7/6/4498782/arkansas-recruiting-zach-rogers-commits-to-the-razorbacks

AND I guess you missed the part about how he wont be here to start next year.

King Kong

Petrino was recruiting Rogers for along time. Just an FYI

porque

My memory is that he committed to Petrino.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: King Kong on January 17, 2018, 11:30:18 am
Quote from: porque on January 17, 2018, 11:33:42 am
same. thanks, guys. dude had me thinking i was crazy for a second.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: porque on January 17, 2018, 11:33:42 am
Someone said he committed in 2013. How could he commit to petrino in 2013?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

According to 247 sports.com Zack Rogers was recruited by Sam Pittman and Jim Chaney and committed in 2013
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jackflash

sorry to  hear this if true

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: King Kong on January 17, 2018, 11:30:18 am

He committed in July of 2013 and graduated from high school at mid term (Christmas 2014) so he could practice in the spring of 2015. 

Bielema was hired in December of 2012 and had Pittman and Joel Thomas (some services say Chaney)  recruit Zach. Petrino was gone after 2011. I don't not know if Petrino recruited Zach, but he would have been playing his 9th grade year Petrino's last season.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Al Boarland

Quote from: redleg on January 17, 2018, 11:02:55 am
The current starters are: Colton Jackson, Hjalte Froholdt, Zach Rogers, Johnny Gibson, and Brian Wallace.

Scholarship Linemen that will be trying to earn a starting job are: Jalen Merrick, Dalton Wagner, Jake Heinrich, Kirby Adcock, Ty Clary, Shane Clenin, and Deion Malone.

Incoming Linemen: Silas Robinson, Noah Gatlin ... with more to sign potentially.

That's 14 scholarship O-Linemen. That's three deep across the line. While most of them do not have much playing experience, where is the lack of depth?!  :-\

He probably meant quality depth. You could go out there and play o-line, but would you be considered depth?

SamBuckhart

Why is Zach  leaving? Is he our only center with experience?
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

lrar4hogs

Rogers was recruited after Arkansas recruited Deatrich Wise.  They both came from the same high school.  Wise was recruited by the Petrino coaching staff and most likely that high school's coaching staff put them on to Rogers as another future recruit.  That's usually how the game works. 

WaltonCollege

First I heard of this. What's FANONNTHEHILL saying? We need Rogers.

King Kong

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 17, 2018, 11:46:44 am

He committed in July of 2013 and graduated from high school at mid term (Christmas 2014) so he could practice in the spring of 2015. 

Bielema was hired in December of 2012 and had Pittman and Joel Thomas (some services say Chaney)  recruit Zach. Petrino was gone after 2011. I don't not know if Petrino recruited Zach, but he would have been playing his 9th grade year Petrino's last season.

Yes, Roger was already attending Razorback game at that time

He didn't commit to Petrino. But he was being actively recruited

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 17, 2018, 11:48:19 am
He probably meant quality depth. You could go out there and play o-line, but would you be considered depth?

Exactly lol!

Hopeful Hog

Omg! Who cares who recruited the kid?!? Is he leaving the program or not? That's all that matters.

redleg

Rogers was part of the 2015 class. If he did have an offer from Petrino in 2011, it doesn't matter, he signed with Bielema in his 3rd class. He's a Bielema recruit.

lakecityhog

Could this be the opportunity for Merrick to get on the field? Merrick at center with Gibson & Wallace on the right side with Froholdt and Jackson on the left? Maybe Heinrich can wrestle a spot away from one of the older guys? Do we go with a complete 2nd 5 or do we train 1 guy for guard/center and 1 guy for the tackle spot? I do realize that we will list a 2-deep, but will we actually play it that way? With our lack of experience I could see a 2-man rotation for breathers to keep the best guys on the field.

68   Kirby Adcock   OL  Fr  6-5  288 
66   Ty Clary   OL  Fr  6-4  286 
57   Shane Clenin   OL  Fr  6-6  300 
51   Hjalte Froholdt   OL  Jr  6-5  311 
62   Johnny Gibson Jr.   OL  Jr  6-4  333 
55   Jake Heinrich   OL  R-Fr  6-4  293 
64   Audry Horn   OL  Fr  6-2  329 
74   Colton Jackson   OL  So  6-5  298 
99   Deion Malone   OL  Jr  6-3  304 
79   Jalen Merrick   OL  So  6-4  322 
78   Dalton Wagner   OL  Fr  6-9  311   
60   Brian Wallace   OL  Jr  6-6  337 

61   Cooper Sone   OL  So  6-2  272 
67   Tyler Hall   OL  R-Fr  6-4  296
71   Jackson Hannah   OL  Jr  6-2  305 
69   Dylan Hays   OL  R-Fr  6-3  298   

King Kong

Quote from: redleg on January 17, 2018, 12:12:47 pm
Rogers was part of the 2015 class. If he did have an offer from Petrino in 2011, it doesn't matter, he signed with Bielema in his 3rd class. He's a Bielema recruit.

Just as another FYI Roger had an offer from just about every big time school in Texas by the time he was a Sophomore in HS.

Very highly recruited kid early in his HS career

HogPharmer

Does it really matter who recruited him?

Y'all are just making it a pissing match over the irrelevant point of who is right and who is wrong while making yourselves look like jackasses.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Warrior Way 22

With a new staff in place hopefully these guys that have been buried on the depth chart treat this as a fresh start and new opportunity to prove themselves. Our line play the last couple of seasons was bad enough that nobody's job should be safe. Going to be some interesting position battles IMO.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

King Kong

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 17, 2018, 12:44:30 pm
Y'all are just making it a pissing match over the irrelevant point of who is right and who is wrong while making yourselves look like jackasses.

Either way for your information it was both

hoglady

He didn't really get stuck behind Ragnow.
I don't think center was Ragnow's natural position.
Rogers didn't play because Bielema thought he was too short - which is a shame, he shouldn't have ever signed him and then wasted the kid's college career.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on January 17, 2018, 01:15:45 pm
Rogers didn't play because Bielema thought he was too short - which is a shame, he shouldn't have ever signed him and then wasted the kid's college career.

Did Bielema ever say Rogers was too short?

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 01:17:45 pm

That's my understanding.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on January 17, 2018, 01:19:59 pm
That's my understanding.

I just don't remember hearing those words, maybe he said them.

RME

Quote from: hoglady on January 17, 2018, 01:15:45 pm
Rogers didn't play because Bielema thought he was too short
- which is a shame, he shouldn't have ever signed him and then wasted the kid's college career.

I think Rogers didn't play because Ragnow developed into the best college football center in the country...doesn't matter if it was or wasn't Ragnow's natural position...

hoglady

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 17, 2018, 01:24:35 pm
I think Rogers didn't play because Ragnow developed into the best college football center in the country...doesn't matter if it was or wasn't Ragnow's natural position...

Our oline would have probably been better last year with Rogers at center and Ragnow moved - he was versatile enough to play a number of Oline positions. It did us no good to have the best center yet field a horrible oline.

AirWarren

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 17, 2018, 01:57:13 pm
I really hope this Hogville thing is an act you put on to see how many smites you can get.  I can't possibly imagine a human being who is really as bitter and rude as you appear to be.

Go get a hobby. This act isn't funny anymore.

Lay off the dramatics man.

This is a daily hobby of mine....read hogville on dump breaks.

AirWarren

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 17, 2018, 01:55:35 pm
It's because of comments like this that  I mentioned in another thread that a player was leaving on good terms, with a degree and I didn't want anyone to think negatively about the player.  Not a transfer.  Not a player that didn't contribute, just a young man that wants to get on with his life after football.

I didn't say anything negative about a player.

Why do people leave a place? Because they don't want to be somewhere anymore. No hard feelings, but life continues...next man up. Best of luck with your degree young man and thanks for the effort near the end of the year.

Why are people upset over a player leaving? That is what recruiting is for. Find spots to fill places and attrition will happen. That's life. In college football....and in the workforce.

King Kong

I do remembering him saying Center was probably his best position because his size.

I took that as a lack of size. Not sure if that meant height, length or weight or a combination of those things.

Mjs84

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 17, 2018, 12:44:30 pm

Have you ever forgot a word, or a name of a famous person or something like that?  I think it's all they are doing is trying to straighten out the facts.  It's Brets recruit by the way.  He's the coach that signed him.  I doubt he was old enough to drive when petrino was on the hill.

Mjs84

Quote from: Warrior Way 22 on January 17, 2018, 12:56:21 pm
With a new staff in place hopefully these guys that have been buried on the depth chart treat this as a fresh start and new opportunity to prove themselves. Our line play the last couple of seasons was bad enough that nobody's job should be safe. Going to be some interesting position battles IMO.

Some guy in another forum just got done trying to argue that O-line is our strength coming back.  Oh dear god these people sometimes.

lakecityhog

An early enrollee who was a four-star prospect ranked as the fourth-best center in the nation by Scout ... Earned a four-star rating and named the No. 32 offensive guard by ESPN ... Rivals listed him as a three star prospect and the No. 50 recruit in Texas ... Earned three stars and was pegged the No. 26 offensive guard and No. 50 Texas prospect by 247Composite, a combined index of national recruiting rankings ... 247Sports rated him as a three-star prospect, the No. 27 offensive guard and No. 50 recruit in Texas

From his bio on the Hogs web page. No doubt this kid could have helped us in prior years.

Mjs84

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 17, 2018, 11:48:19 am

Boarland, we do agree this time.  The O-line has been the biggest bunch of mommas boys to be coddled by daddy Bert.  As far as Morris goes, anything could happen with this bunch.  It's up to the unit to see how they respond.  Dropping some weight and kicking some butt would be the quickest route to success, let's see if they are capable or not.

Mjs84

Quote from: AP85 on January 17, 2018, 01:58:57 pm
Lay off the dramatics man.

This is a daily hobby of mine....read hogville on dump breaks.

Are you being a bad boy on the potty?

lakecityhog

Well, if you think about it including Rogers we would be returning the 5 starters from our last 3 games plus Clary. That would have to be considered a fairly strong unit. Even if we return 4 starters and we add in Clary plus Heinrich we could have an average to above average O'Line.

King Kong

January 17, 2018, 02:41:16 pm #43 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:37:13 pm by King Kong
Quote from: Mjs84 on January 17, 2018, 02:25:39 pm
Have you ever forgot a word, or a name of a famous person or something like that?  I think it's all they are doing is trying to straighten out the facts.  It's Brets recruit by the way.  He's the coach that signed him.  I doubt he was old enough to drive when petrino was on the hill.

Was still being recruited by Petrino. He committed to Bielema and signed with Bielema. But Arkansas was very high on his list long before Bielema was hired. Go ahead and message RD if you don't believe it.

RD has been covering the kid for the last 7 years or so

AirWarren

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 17, 2018, 02:35:56 pm
Are you being a bad boy on the potty?

I guess depends on one's definition of bad boy..

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 17, 2018, 02:28:07 pm
Some guy in another forum just got done trying to argue that O-line is our strength coming back.  Oh dear god these people sometimes.

I'm as much as a sunshine pumper as has ever been on this board.  There is no strength coming back.  Not to say there's not talent and the capability to be successful, but the entire approach on both sides of the ball has been turned upside down.  The coaches have their work cut out for them molding this group into what they want them to be.  It can be done, but the players have to buy in and the coaches can't let up for a single second. They've got 227 days to figure it out.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Deep Shoat

Nope.

Made up bull crap from those who hated Bielema.
All Gas, No Brakes!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 17, 2018, 02:35:05 pm
Boarland, we do agree this time.  The O-line has been the biggest bunch of mommas boys to be coddled by daddy Bert.  As far as Morris goes, anything could happen with this bunch.  It's up to the unit to see how they respond.  Dropping some weight and kicking some butt would be the quickest route to success, let's see if they are capable or not.
And maybe not having to hold their blocks for 4-5 seconds might make them more effective as a unit.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 17, 2018, 03:08:10 pm
Nope.

Made up bull crap from those who hated Bielema.

Well Bielema did say something to the affect that center was probably his best position because of his (or lack of) size.

But he never said he couldn't play because of it. Was always very complementary of Roger's ability in pressers

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 17, 2018, 03:28:18 pm
And maybe not having to hold their blocks for 4-5 seconds might make them more effective as a unit.

Hammer down