Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Wally take a shot at Long's self inscribed integrity?

Started by Con el Cerdos, January 04, 2018, 11:42:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcards

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2018, 05:58:50 pm
This thread has gone completely off the rails. Some of you people act like the Foundation is a part of the University operating with public money. It's a private business. Unless crimes have been committed what they do with their money is between the Foundation and those boosters who contribute.

Whatever issue the BOT had with Long and the Foundation was not criminal in nature.

I don't think anyone is saying it's criminal.  But did Long have anything to do with the negotiations regarding the foundation possibly having to pay this buffoon 15+ million?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogcards on January 06, 2018, 06:04:34 pm
I don't think anyone is saying it's criminal.  But did Long have anything to do with the negotiations regarding the foundation possibly having to pay this buffoon 15+ million?
Over course he did and yes the Foundation signed off on it. I can't think of any instances where the Foundation said no to Frank either. We all know that buyout sounds crazy and I certainly think it was part of the issue but not the only thing and he WAS fired. What else do you want? Would it make you feel any better if they stood him up on the Fayetteville square and let fans throw tomatoes at him?

hogcards

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2018, 06:20:38 pm
Over course he did and yes the Foundation signed off on it. I can't think of any instances where the Foundation said no to Frank either. We all know that buyout sounds crazy and I certainly think it was part of the issue but not the only thing and he WAS fired. What else do you want? Would it make you feel any better if they stood him up on the Fayetteville square and let fans throw tomatoes at him?

Was this known from the initial contract signing?  ...and if so, why wasn't Long fired immediately at that point?

...and no, he shouldn't be publicly flogged. However, he should never be allowed near an athletic department again. He's a hypocrite on top of being a poor evaluator of talent.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogcards on January 06, 2018, 06:27:29 pm
Was this known from the initial contract signing?  ...and if so, why wasn't Long fired immediately at that point?

...and no, he shouldn't be publicly flogged. However, he should never be allowed near an athletic department again. He's a hypocrite on top of being a poor evaluator of talent.
You're making this argument after the fact when it's obvious that the decision to give him a big buyout was a mistake. I'm sure at the time Long felt Bielema was going in the right direction. If he continued to build the program back up and went on to achieve what he did at Wisconsin then it would have looked like a good move.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2018, 06:20:38 pm

Is that an option?  I would love to have the first rotten tomato to throw.
Retired Radio Host

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2018, 06:36:35 pm
You're making this argument after the fact when it's obvious that the decision to give him a big buyout was a mistake. I'm sure at the time Long felt Bielema was going in the right direction. If he continued to build the program back up and went on to achieve what he did at Wisconsin then it would have looked like a good move.

Correct, big contracts are given all the time in sports, a decent percentage of them are busts. It's the nature of the business.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2018, 06:48:42 pm
Correct, big contracts are given all the time in sports, a decent percentage of them are busts. It's the nature of the business.

I don't have a problem with them.  My problem is when they are one sided.  That is what surprised me about Bret's contract.  It should be equal.  5 mil to fire you, 5 mil for you to quit and go some where else.  Bret's buyout...if I remember correctly was really one-sided. We took all the risk.
Retired Radio Host

hogcards

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2018, 06:36:35 pm

There's not a planet anywhere near our solar system where this could have been confused as a good deal.  He (Bielema) did nothing to justify a contract near this. Even at Wisconsin.

...and if anyone else within the foundation knew all of the terms of this deal and approved of it, they need their heads examined. 

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ricepig

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 06, 2018, 06:51:24 pm
I don't have a problem with them.  My problem is when they are one sided.  That is what surprised me about Bret's contract.  It should be equal.  5 mil to fire you, 5 mil for you to quit and go some where else.  Bret's buyout...if I remember correctly was really one-sided. We took all the risk.

Have you looked at Morris' same way, just smaller amounts.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/chadmorrisletter/

hogcards

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2018, 07:00:46 pm
Have you looked at Morris' same way, just smaller amounts.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/chadmorrisletter/

I haven't.  It still makes little sense to me.  Job security is in winning.  You keep winning you don't need a buy out.  I don't mind one if you are willing to put the same amount up IF you do keep winning.  That is why I liked Petrino's contract where he had to pay us if he left.  It just makes more sense.
Retired Radio Host

ricepig

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 06, 2018, 07:03:46 pm
I haven't.  It still makes little sense to me.  Job security is in winning.  You keep winning you don't need a buy out.  I don't mind one if you are willing to put the same amount up IF you do keep winning.  That is why I liked Petrino's contract where he had to pay us if he left.  It just makes more sense.

I agree. I guess until you have a history of job hopping, or they don't include it.

hawgon

The deceit is the point.  There was one contract for public consumption and another one that was reality.  Long was a liar.  Mr. Integrity lied to get what he wanted.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogcards on January 06, 2018, 07:03:27 pm
We learned very little.
No, it's what you do these days. If you don't offer a comfortable buyout agents like Jimmy Sexton will tell their clients to stand pat. They will get a better offer because that's what the marketplace calls for.

hogcards

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2018, 07:12:35 pm
No, it's what you do these days. If you don't offer a comfortable buyout agents like Jimmy Sexton will tell their clients to stand pat. They will get a better offer because that's what the marketplace calls for.

What does he owe us if he bolts after year two?

...and Neil Conrich was Bielema's agent.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ricepig

Quote from: hogcards on January 06, 2018, 07:18:23 pm

...and Neil Conrich was Bielema's agent.

Can't you read a contract? And all the agents are the same, it doesn't matter if it's Sexton or Cornrich.

hogcards

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2018, 07:30:31 pm
Can't you read a contract? And all the agents are the same, it doesn't matter if it's Sexton or Cornrich.

I read it.  The point that was made was that it's once again, extremely one sided.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogcards on January 06, 2018, 07:18:23 pm
Three million if he takes another job before Jan. 1, 2019. That amount drops by $500,000 each year through 2022.

TeufelHog

Don't want to throw tomatoes at Jeff Long, but being "fired for convenience" is a joke.  After costing the University and Foundation $15M+ after firing CBB, I find it hard to believe he wasn't "fired for cause."  No way Jeff Long should be walking out the door with $4.625M . . . "subject to mitigation if he is later employed and/or receives compensation elsewhere."

hogcards

Quote from: TeufelHog on January 06, 2018, 08:03:41 pm
Don't want to throw tomatoes at Jeff Long, but being "fired for convenience" is a joke.  After costing the University and Foundation $15M+ after firing CBB, I find it hard to believe he wasn't "fired for cause."  No way Jeff Long should be walking out the door with $4.625M . . . "subject to mitigation if he is later employed and/or receives compensation elsewhere."

I'd like to throw something much heavier than a tomato at him.  He destroyed the football program in order to advance his own career.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 06, 2018, 05:58:50 pm
This thread has gone completely off the rails. Some of you people act like the Foundation is a part of the University operating with public money. It's a private business. Unless crimes have been committed what they do with their money is between the Foundation and those boosters who contribute.

Whatever issue the BOT had with Long and the Foundation was not criminal in nature.

You're right.  This thread is off the rails.  But you must be wondering what the world is coming to yourself.  You can't make this stuff up.  College football is operating in a bubble, and Arkansas is pushing the envelope.

All Arkansas needed to do in 2006 was get rid of Houston Nutt.  That was clear.  Firing him was the right thing to do.  Frank Broyles needed to retire, but he didn't need to go first.  He should have fired Nutt, hired a new head coach, and handpicked his own successor.  Instead, an academic saw an opportunity to foment revolution and hired a hatchet man to systematically remove those in power.  Once the old guard was gone, the hatchet man thought his power was unchecked.  What we are seeing now is a counterevolution.  The voices in this thread upset with the situation are representative of the counterrevolutionaries.  The usual suspects are so invested in the former regime they will never stop defending it.  Business as usual.

All water under the bridge.  There's a new sheriff in town.  And he has a big posse. 

You really can't make this stuff up.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.