Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the word on Mincey?

Started by Sho Nuff, December 25, 2017, 02:24:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

porque

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 11, 2018, 12:46:08 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

I know it was said yesterday that Scott was being retained, but i find it odd he is the only name not listed on the coaching staff. Maybe this is all related

That is odd

ricepig

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 11, 2018, 12:54:14 pm
Jaquayln Crawford visited us while committed to Oklahoma..

You may not remember it, but the previous coaching staff wanted our commits to decommit if they were going to take a visit to another school. They didn't do it to 100% of our commits, but the vast majority were told so. Their philosophy was you don't visit someone else if you're committed to them.

Hogfan46

RaisinHog

Quote from: porque on January 11, 2018, 12:54:38 pm
That is odd

Yea but Scott tweeted he was happy too be staying at Arkansas and coach Morris retweeted it and said some words .. Im pretty sure he was retained

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 01:02:21 pm
You may not remember it, but the previous coaching staff wanted our commits to decommit if they were going to take a visit to another school. They didn't do it to 100% of our commits, but the vast majority were told so. Their philosophy was you don't visit someone else if you're committed to them.
Oh ok. I took it as you were referring to it being an NCAA rule. I could see that possibly being true, but this is a whole new staff. And we had a few commits this year that went on official visits to other schools without de-committing first

RaisinHog

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 11, 2018, 01:08:23 pm
Oh ok. I took it as you were referring to it being an NCAA rule. I could see that possibly being true, but this is a whole new staff. And we had a few commits this year that went on official visits to other schools without de-committing first
Yeah just did it after lol

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 11, 2018, 01:05:25 pm
Yea but Scott tweeted he was happy too be staying at Arkansas and coach Morris retweeted it and said some words .. Im pretty sure he was retained
I agree, he probably was retained. But their was a lot of talk that there were other coaches ahead of him for the spot if they accepted it. Maybe one of them changed their mind last minute

Bacon_Bitz

Full tilt boogie! Hammer down! Arkansas recrootin' is excitin' again!

SooieGeneris

Disappointing news when a good player with his offer list decommits. I would have thought it would have happened before Scott was retained when it looked like he might not be. I guess he made a connection with a coach at another school in the interim, but only he may know.

To those of us who followed recruiting before it was cool, players commit and decommit on a regular basis. I can't recall a year when we had no decommits or had a kid decommit from another school to us. Life goes on. Get the best player for that slot you can and develop and coach them up. That's the only answer.

Coaches don't have time to throw up their hands after losing a commit. Roll up your sleeves and go after a replacement if you can't get the kid back in the fold. He plays SDE and we have a good player signed at that position in Fulwider. Opens up a slot for a WDE maybe. I wanted Wilson and Alexander both, we may have only had a place for one if Mincey came.

I don't blame the kid, things changed after committed, maybe geography took over. Again, life goes on.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

RaisinHog

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on January 11, 2018, 01:11:38 pm
I agree, he probably was retained. But their was a lot of talk that there were other coaches ahead of him for the spot if they accepted it. Maybe one of them changed their mind last minute
If that's the case .. I'd be somewhat happy but it's not a good look for hiring future coaches lol

SooieGeneris

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 11, 2018, 01:05:25 pm

He was announced on the official press release yesterday. He tweeted his gratitude to CM. You don't keep an otherwise unqualified coach for one recruit unless it is a super stud. Mincey had a great offer list, but was a 3 star.

Players decommit all the time, especially after coaching changes. It's disappointing, but it's not like we just ignored him and didn't try to keep him in the fold.

The kid who caught the game winning pass the other night for 'Bama? Was committed to UGA until Richt was fired. He said Kirby Smart's staff didn't even contact him, so he switched to 'Bama.

It would be a very Nutt-like move to pull Scott's offer to stay after losing one recruit, if indeed Mincey has eliminated us..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Wildhog

So Mincey's gone and Gooden may not make it to campus.  As of now, looks like there's a decent chance Scott brings us zero signees this year.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RaisinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:26:24 pm
So Mincey's gone and Gooden may not make it to campus.  As of now, looks like there's a decent chance Scott brings us zero signees this year.

Ehh you gotta think he was involved with fulenwider being how he is from GA

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 11, 2018, 01:24:29 pm
If that's the case .. I'd be somewhat happy but it's not a good look for hiring future coaches lol
Yeah, wouldn't look good. Its probably nothing, just found it odd. 

Wildhog

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 11, 2018, 01:27:59 pm

Ehh you gotta think he was involved with fulenwider being how he is from GA

Involved, sure.  But it was Bobby Allen, believe it or not, who got Fulwider to flip.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RaisinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:28:28 pm
Involved, sure.  But it was Bobby Allen, believe it or not, who got Fulwider to flip.

Yeah, but he may have said ... Coach Scott will be on the new staff don't really know how he flipped him .. trust me I would have much rather had some other coaches I'm just saying ..

Wildhog

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 11, 2018, 01:30:15 pm
Yeah, but he may have said ... Coach Scott will be on the new staff don't really know how he flipped him .. trust me I would have much rather had some other coaches I'm just saying ..

Here's an article about his commitment which credits Bobby Allen as his recruiter.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/arkansas-democrat-gazette/20171219/282132111802176
1909/1964/1965/1977

Highway Hog Sign

Hogs need some good recruiting news SOON.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

Wildhog

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on January 11, 2018, 01:40:18 pm
Mincey decommits

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Bolt/Defensive-End-John-Mincey-makes-decision-on-his-commitment-to-Arkansas-Razorbacks-113566462/Amp#click=https://t.co/tBskTTePnH

That sucks. Hogs need some good recruiting news SOON.

I don't remember the beginning of the Nutt era, but this is the worst recruiting start for a new Arkansas staff that I can remember.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:41:41 pm
I don't remember the beginning of the Nutt era, but this is the worst recruiting start for a new Arkansas staff that I can remember.
Yep. They grabbed those two kids from SMU but right after that it's been nothing but L's.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Scott no longer coaches the entire DL, only DT. Mincey is a DE so maybe that's why he decommitted
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Wildhog

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on January 11, 2018, 01:43:50 pm
Yep. They grabbed those two kids from SMU but right after that it's been nothing but L's.

LaDarius Bishop was a nice get.  Mullen leaving MSU worked out well there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

These last six years have pretty much destroyed our program.  Bielema created a culture of losing and the only way to change it is by winning. 

Bielema was just a disaster.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HardingHog

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on January 11, 2018, 01:43:50 pm
Since being hired, Morris has got Bishop, Ferrell, and Fulwider to go along with the 2 flips from SMU (Woods and Robinson)

Wildhog

Quote from: HardingHog on January 11, 2018, 01:52:45 pm
Since being hired, Morris has got Bishop, Ferrell, and Fulwider to go along with the 2 flips from SMU (Woods and Robinson)

Bobby Allen flipped Fulwider from a 3-9 UNC team.  Bishop/Ferrell are in-staters, one of which lost the HC he committed to.

And obviously we're going to get any SMU commit that we offer.

There have been no really impressive recruiting gets yet, but there's still time.  Need some really good OV weekends.
1909/1964/1965/1977

a0ashle

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:51:33 pm
These last six years have pretty much destroyed our program.  Bielema created a culture of losing and the only way to change it is by winning. 

A little over dramatic, don't you think?

Wildhog

Quote from: a0ashle on January 11, 2018, 01:56:33 pm

Not really.  When you lose as much as we have the last six years, it creates a culture of losing. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

a0ashle

I think early signing either makes it harder to up swing a class with a new coach or it gives us the impression that we aren't able to up swing a class because it makes us feel like it's later then it is.

Wildhog

Quote from: a0ashle on January 11, 2018, 01:59:06 pm
I think early signing either makes it harder to up swing a class with a new coach or it gives us the impression that we aren’t able to up swing a class because it makes us feel like it’s later then it is.

I do agree that the early signing period changes things.  Need a really strong January.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Keep in mind, the last time the hogs were any good, these kids were like 12.
1909/1964/1965/1977

a0ashle

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 02:00:06 pm
I do agree that the early signing period changes things.  Need a really strong January.

Agreed, here's hoping it goes well.

The_Iceman

This is the first time new coaches have had to deal with th early signing period. That on top of Bielema absolutely sucking up the place.

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2018, 02:09:28 pm
This is the first time new coaches have had to deal with th early signing period. That on top of Bielema absolutely sucking up the place.

Yeah, we need to really kill it on these January OV weekends.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:26:24 pm

BB struggled hiring recruiting minded assistants.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 11, 2018, 02:14:14 pm
BB struggled hiring recruiting minded assistants.

Which is why it's beyond me that Scott was retained.  He's never been able to field even a decent DL, and his recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.  What good is he?
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:55:59 pm
Bobby Allen flipped Fulwider from a 3-9 UNC team.  Bishop/Ferrell are in-staters, one of which lost the HC he committed to.

And obviously we're going to get any SMU commit that we offer.

There have been no really impressive recruiting gets yet, but there's still time.  Need some really good OV weekends.

I'm not expecting any big gets to round out this class, but I do think the early signing period changed the way it works for new staffs.  I hope we grab a few solid contributor type  guys at positions of need and hit 2019 running hard.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 02:15:50 pm
Which is why it's beyond me that Scott was retained.  He's never been able to field even a decent DL, and his recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.  What good is he?

No clue, but sometimes it's simply that we can't attract any better at this time.  People act like we should just go hire so and so without a 2nd thought that so and so probably has no interest in coming here.  I mean we had Seagrest before Scott.  Apparently competent DT assistants don't come here.  At least not lately.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: thebignasty on January 11, 2018, 02:18:07 pm
I'm not expecting any big gets to round out this class, but I do think the early signing period changed the way it works for new staffs.  I hope we grab a few solid contributor type  guys at positions of need and hit 2019 running hard.

We needed to fire BB if for no other reason than the up coming 2019 in-state class.  BB would have been a disaster trying to recruit that class.  Just a disaster.  Then fired...a year too late. 

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 02:15:50 pm
Its weird from the outside looking in.  Caldwell and Cooper are the only proven recruiters on the defensive staff IMO

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 11, 2018, 02:18:51 pm
No clue, but sometimes it's simply that we can't attract any better at this time.  People act like we should just go hire so and so without a 2nd thought that so and so probably has no interest in coming here.  I mean we had Seagrest before Scott.  Apparently competent DT assistance don't come here.  At least not lately.

A lot of the reasoning behind the Chavis hire was that he would be able to attract top assistants. 

Go get a successful up-and-comer from a smaller school.  Why retain someone that got fired from Texas Tech, and produced an atrocious DL last year at Arkansas- as well as bringing in zero players (unless Gooden somehow makes it to campus.)

I just don't understand it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 02:22:31 pm
A lot of the reasoning behind the Chavis hire was that he would be able to attract top assistants. 

Go get a successful up-and-comer from a smaller school.  Why retain someone that got fired from Texas Tech, and produced an atrocious DL last year at Arkansas- as well as bringing in zero players (unless Gooden somehow makes it to campus.)

Take your crap back to MMQB.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Redhogs

Quote from: Wildhog on January 11, 2018, 01:51:33 pm

X10,000
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: a0ashle on January 11, 2018, 01:56:33 pm
No...he's right. Perception is everything, and right now we are seen as a loser program...just the way it is. It is going to take winning to change that, and plenty of it.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

colbs

I'm not sure if there were any other candidates or what.  Morris did mention that he wanted to talk to Scott after he DC was hired.   Scott apparently impressed him during their talk when he was terminating him.

Bubba's Bruisers

Maybe Scott is better than given credit.  Assistants don't operate in a vacuum.  It's not like he was surrounded with measurable SEC talent.  And he sure wasn't surrounded with SEC caliber assistants...or HC for that matter.

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 11, 2018, 02:37:55 pm
Maybe Scott is better than given credit.  Assistants don't operate in a vacuum.  It's not like he was surrounded with measurable SEC talent.  And he sure wasn't surrounded with SEC caliber assistants...or HC for that matter.

At some point your record speaks for itself.  His DL's were awful at both TT and Arkansas.

Maybe you're right though.  Just have to hope for the best, I guess.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

Well, as a lot of us were saying when it became obvious Morris was going to be the guy, he's about as exciting as a nice episode of NCIS.

Petrino and Bielema were splashy hires. Both brought in their best classes in their first class, around their hiring excitement.

If we wanted to make a splash, we had those options. We went with a crapload of Texas folks because that's apparently why we were bad this most recent year.

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 11, 2018, 02:41:36 pm
Well, as a lot of us were saying when it became obvious Morris was going to be the guy, he's about as exciting as a nice episode of NCIS.

Petrino and Bielema were splashy hires. Both brought in their best classes in their first class, around their hiring excitement.

If we wanted to make a splash, we had those options. We went with a crapload of Texas folks because that's apparently why we were bad this most recent year.

:)
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 11, 2018, 12:47:14 pm
I figure it has more too do with the fact it's 2 hours too Gainesville and a long dang way too Fayetteville
Most of the time that's the reason. Can't change our location and it's a huge factor.