Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going for it on 4th and 2??? DO WHAT????

Started by synthartist69, November 18, 2017, 02:21:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRazorbacker

Didn't see much harm in going for it. Nothing to lose, why not take a swing  to win. Playing for OT would not have been a winning move. The way the O was playing no chance of winning that game in OT.

rljjr

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 18, 2017, 06:58:10 pm
Didn't see much harm in going for it. Nothing to lose, why not take a swing  to win. Playing for OT would not have been a winning move. The way the O was playing no chance of winning that game in OT.

Not true. We had one drive longer than the basic distance it takes for the OT period, give or take a few yards. OT would have been the optimum chance to win. The odds are greater than turning the ball over on downs in your own territory. We could have won. We should have won. Coaching snatched defeat out of the mouth of victory.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: BJJHog on November 18, 2017, 03:24:14 pm
Does Bobby Allen have anymore sons? 

I hope not. I am ready to be done with the Allen dynasty.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

toxichog

At a record of 4-6............going for it was the right call..............the play call............moronic........

Rayzback

Quote from: HogFoo on November 18, 2017, 06:51:58 pm
yes. This.  They were 10 yards from FG range!! We had 2 timeouts left in a tie game with less than runs to go.  You punt that damn ball ,play defense try to score when ya get the ball back, and if not go to overtime!  But no, we go for some crazy ass pass play that didn't even come close to being completed.  Geez.  All MSU had to do after we didn't make 4th was go 10yards to be FG range!!  lineup their kicker and go for it.  They instead just ran it, killed all the clock, got the controversial RD and won.  Man, I felt n.a. for our team, our defense played pretty good.  Our coaches lost that one.  Yes, I'm ready to be rid of Bert and these horrific playcalls!

Looks like we were 0-2 converting 4th against Ole Miss and LSU. Made one against CC, which was a sad situation to be in.  We weren't really marching down the field today, aside from the 30yd fumble drive. Offense did have a 36 yd scoring drive. I agree, and think OT gave us better odds of winning. Were we 0-2 this game also?
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Justagp

Quote from: MartinGit on November 18, 2017, 02:39:42 pm
You have to understand, punting it would have almost assured overtime and Ben's Apartment opens at 2:30 - didn't want to be late
Oh my, haven't been back to Fayetteville in a few years, but gathering Ben's Apartment is a bar - sad.

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: HoopS on November 18, 2017, 05:17:29 pm
First of all- the third down call was dumb AF.

But you punt on 4th. With no hesitation.

MSU faces a 4th down on the last possession and would have punted back to us had that played out.

Anyway. Dumb. Fireable. Unfair to the team. Not worth paying money to watch.

Agree agree agree....

Third down call was dummmmmmbbbb. They just ran for 6 yards on the previous down.. Please tell me ONE time the Wildcat has yielded a yardage plus situation the hogs this season.  Everyone knows what's coming..  Please stop using it!!!

hawgXi

Quote from: synthartist69 on November 18, 2017, 02:21:01 pm
Are you kidding????  What a stupid play call.

Going for it on 4th & 2 was the only way he could guarantee that he'll collect his buy out

Pecos Hog

Quote from: toxichog on November 18, 2017, 07:22:18 pm
At a record of 4-6............going for it was the right call..............the play call............moronic........

If you want to win, you punt.   If you are foolish or stupid, you go for it... and if don't make it... you literally give the game to MS.   I havent' seen much this season from this team that would make me ever feel comfortable about going for it on 4th and 2.   A smart coach would take his chances pinning the other team deep and try to win in OT.     Makes me mad everytime I think about it. 

Rayzback

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on November 18, 2017, 07:45:20 pm
Third down call was dummmmmmbbbb. They just ran for 6 yards on the previous down.. Please tell me ONE time the Wildcat has yielded a yardage plus situation the hogs this season.  Everyone knows what's coming..  Please stop using it!!!

This season? Nada.  It may never again be referred to as the Wild Hog.

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Andrew Hogfan

No problem going for it.  It's the play calling. 3rd down call dumb.  4th down call was dumb.
Someone is a dumb ass.  David Williams should have got back to back carries imho
WPS!!!

Martygit

Quote from: Justagp on November 18, 2017, 07:32:38 pm
Oh my, haven't been back to Fayetteville in a few years, but gathering Ben's Apartment is a bar - sad.

In other forums and threads lately, it has been observed that BB has been frequenting a supposedly secret private club known as Ben's Apartment : https://fayettevillesecret.com/about/

https://fayettevillesecret.com
RIP OTR, REV

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

cjack

Is there any possibility Dufus thinks he's coming back to coach next year and gave Storey the third and short to entice him into staying and not transferring?

Just trying to think of some reason (even a dumb one) for that play call.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: shshark00 on November 18, 2017, 02:30:19 pm
Hilarious. Before the play there wasn’t a single person in the game thread that said punt, but there were numerous “go for it”. Gotta love Arkansas fans

I said go for it in the game thread. It was the right thing to do. Trying to win the game.

The defense was done in the 4th quarter, like has been for years. They drove down for a TD with ease. They could have driven for a Field Goal with equal ease. We had already watched their kicker miss his ONLY field goal attempt this year.

I did not care for the play call, but I didn't like the play call of Dick to Crawford on 4th and 1 against LSU when the ball was in the air.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

Should have been a QB draw if they were going to risk and going for it

jabberjawls

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 02:29:25 pm
Going for it was correct

The play call though.......woof
Going for it was, in effect, giving up on your team.

rhames

Quote from: jabberjawls on November 18, 2017, 08:54:10 pm
Going for it was, in effect, giving up on your team.

Yeah our defense just got smoked. You make it you can make miss state use their time outs and play for a field goal or TD to win. Now the play call was horrible.

I understand the gamble. If they convert they control the rest of the game. Taking a shot play makes trying to convert irrelevant.

No to mention the wind and the mishap earlier. I'm not defending Bret. I just understand going for it there.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jgphillips3

It was far from the right Call.  We were at the wrong spot on the field, too many yards to go, too much time on the clock, etc.  15 yards further upfield or less than 1:30 left on the clock...maybe.  Just an awful call to go for it in that situation.

rhames

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 18, 2017, 08:58:31 pm
It was far from the right Call.  We were at the wrong spot on the field, too many yards to go, too much time on the clock, etc.  15 yards further upfield or less than 1:30 left on the clock...maybe.  Just an awful call to go for it in that situation.

It was 4th and 2

I do understand your argument though.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

jabberjawls

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 08:58:26 pm

Yeah our defense just got smoked. You make it you can make miss state use their time outs and play for a field goal or TD to win. Now the play call was horrible.

I understand the gamble. If they convert they control the rest of the game. Taking a shot play makes trying to convert irrelevant.

No to mention the wind and the mishap earlier. I'm not defending Bret. I just understand going for it there.
Seriously, i see you here all the time defending CBB, but that call is indefensible.  If you punt, chances are pretty high you will go to OT where anything can happen.  If you go for it and don't make it, chances are pretty high you are going to lose.  And what if we made it?  We still had a long ways to go to score and probably wouldn't have.  That call was a HIGH risk and LOW reward call. 

Hogcore

BigDeal

Contrary to poplar belief that was the correct call. do mistake me i still want coach fired but i was sitting in section 119 (first game in 10 years!) and saw the defender holding our guy as he runs the down field. almost the whole time. me and others in my section yelped that was the worse no call ever !!

I thank you.

kiddhog

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on November 18, 2017, 02:21:39 pm
who called that play?

brother?
well it could'nt have been Bret ... because he sure lets us know every time there is a successful play he called it.  since this one didn't work out we must know he didn't make that call..

1highhog

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 02:29:25 pm
Going for it was correct

The play call though.......woof

No it wasn't, it was stupid to go for it on our side of the field, if they would have called a better 3rd down play and made it a manageable 1yd play, but still not on our side of the field, friggin stupid.

DeltaBoy

Good he went for it and we lost the game!  Now Fire Him!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

N HOG

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 18, 2017, 07:52:57 pm
If you want to win, you punt.   If you are foolish or stupid, you go for it... and if don't make it... you literally give the game to MS.   I havent' seen much this season from this team that would make me ever feel comfortable about going for it on 4th and 2.   A smart coach would take his chances pinning the other team deep and try to win in OT.     Makes me mad everytime I think about it.

Anyone who knows anything about football completely agrees with this.

Going for it in that situation was wrong on many many levels. It was moronic.

When the play started, my only thought was - where is our d**n punter?

oldhog63

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 18, 2017, 05:20:11 pm
And if they didn't that would have been a stupid play call.  The dumber play call was the 3rd down call.
And don't forget, we wasted a timeout to make that 3rd down call.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: oldhog63 on November 18, 2017, 10:50:59 pm
And don't forget, we wasted a timeout to make that 3rd down call.

I forgot all about that.   Wow.   This coaching staff is definitely not P5 caliber.

Hawgzinbowlz

Either CBB is insane with this 4th down call or he intentionally sabotaged the game to give the flip off to Razorback Nation. Coaching insanity is a reasonable assumption here excepting the play call had such a low percentage for success that it is hard to imagine Bielema/Staff are collectively this stupid when it comes to situational football.
Get on down the road and don't let anything hit you in the rear...

" GO HOGS "

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: 1highhog on November 18, 2017, 10:17:13 pm
No it wasn't, it was stupid to go for it on our side of the field, if they would have called a better 3rd down play and made it a manageable 1yd play, but still not on our side of the field, friggin stupid.
Correct. CBB has a history of flinching when the game is on the line...Many examples while our coach.

" GO HOGS "

moses_007

Any coach with half a brain would not chance turning the ball over on downs on your own 45 yard line with under three minutes to play and the score tied 21 all. 

Send the punt team in and kick it deep. 

This isn't the first time Bielema lost at the end of a game with this kind of gamble.

I bet he was a lousy poker player in Vegas.  He doesn't have much luck.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 01:19:15 am
Any coach with half a brain would not chance turning the ball over on downs on your own 45 yard line with under three minutes to play and the score tied 21 all. 

Send the punt team in and kick it deep. 

This isn't the first time Bielema lost at the end of a game with this kind of gamble.

I bet he was a lousy poker player in Vegas.  He doesn't have much luck.
Actually we were quite lucky in the game.   Got lots of lucky bounces that led directly to most of our points.   Luck didn't have anything to do with this play.   Coaching ability, good knowledge of and understanding of the game, and decision making had everything to do with it.   Or, should I say a demonstrated lack therof.     

rhames

Quote from: jabberjawls on November 18, 2017, 09:10:17 pm
Seriously, i see you here all the time defending CBB, but that call is indefensible.  If you punt, chances are pretty high you will go to OT where anything can happen.  If you go for it and don't make it, chances are pretty high you are going to lose.  And what if we made it?  We still had a long ways to go to score and probably wouldn't have.  That call was a HIGH risk and LOW reward call. 

Defending bret??? All the time???

Hahahahaha. No you haven't.

HogBreath

Quote from: shshark00 on November 18, 2017, 02:30:19 pm
Hilarious. Before the play there wasn't a single person in the game thread that said punt, but there were numerous "go for it". Gotta love Arkansas fans
Yeah, like only Arkansas fans would do that.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?