Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quantify Success for the new coach

Started by Citizen2729, November 16, 2017, 01:07:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What best reflects your expectation for success over the first 5 year span with a new coach.

I like Bret
6 (5.6%)
=> 7-5 record with a worse record not occurring more than 1 time in a 5 year period
3 (2.8%)
=> 7-5 record with a worse record not occurring more than 2 times in a 5 year period
4 (3.7%)
=> 7-5 record with a worse record not occurring more than 3 times in a 5 year period
0 (0%)
=> 8-4 record with a worse record not occurring more than 1 time in a 5 year period
20 (18.5%)
=> 8-4 record with a worse record not occurring more than 2 times in a 5 year period
21 (19.4%)
=> 8-4 record with a worse record not occurring more than 3 times in a 5 year period
13 (12%)
=> 9-3 record with a worse record not occurring more than 1time in a 5 year period
6 (5.6%)
=> 9-3 record with a worse record not occurring more than 2 times in a 5 year period
17 (15.7%)
=> 9-3 record with a worse record not occurring more than 3 times in a 5 year period
4 (3.7%)
I live in a fantasy land
14 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Voting closed: November 17, 2017, 01:07:42 pm

Citizen2729

Quantify success for the new coach.  What best reflects your expectation for success over the first 5 year span with a new coach?

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Citizen2729 on November 16, 2017, 01:07:42 pm
Quantify success for the new coach.  What best reflects your expectation for success over the first 5 year span with a new coach?

Not five, three. The next coach should be somewhat successful after three  years. We are not in the same situation as when CBP left and smiley took over. With the current state of the programs if we don't see consistent improvement and a good third year, I say they did the wrong hire.

Qualities:
Humbleness, honesty, good recruitment, an offense that works with the players available, an improved defense, overall more speed and better technique. Emphasis on special teams. Focus the physical training around speed not just size and weight.

Deep Shoat

The correct answer is "being Gus", because that is who the GOBN is behind.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Grunt

I'll  for a 6 4 record with two top five upsets and average loss margin of 6 points and no loss greater than 10 points and a coach that upset Arkansas in 2015.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Poker_hog

Average 8 wins over the first 5 years.  Average 9 wins over the second 5 years and so on.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

3Scoreand10

It is not so much about wins and losses for me, It is about being competitive.
Make the other team beat us and know they have been in a fight for their life.
I am just tired of a team not prepared and falling apart and giving up easy points.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 16, 2017, 01:14:06 pm
Not five, three. The next coach should be somewhat successful after three  years. We are not in the same situation as when CBP left and smiley took over. With the current state of the programs if we don't see consistent improvement and a good third year, I say they did the wrong hire.

Qualities:
Humbleness, honesty, good recruitment, an offense that works with the players available, an improved defense, overall more speed and better technique. Emphasis on special teams. Focus the physical training around speed not just size and weight.

You didn't uderstand the question.

It's what does success look lile after year five, not how long does it take to reach success.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on November 16, 2017, 01:41:54 pm
It is not so much about wins and losses for me, It is about being competitive.
Make the other team beat us and know they have been in a fight for their life.
I am just tired of a team not prepared and falling apart and giving up easy points.

This. If we fielded a team that lined up and punched you in the mouth, had losses but went down fighting, it would have a huge impact on my view of this team and it's coach. 

The reality is that we have no identity on offense.  Under Nutt, you could count on a good OL and ground game as well as a few heavy hitters on D (Bua, Hamlin, etc).  Under Petrino, you knew we'd attack on O and try to cover our weakness on D.  With Bret, you get an offense that really feels like monkeys throwing crap on the wall just to see what sticks.  On D, we are SOFT. Laughably soft, with no change in sight.

phadedhawg

i don't even care anymore...

I'd like to see us win every time we play but since we rarely do it feels foolish to expect different. 

hogsanity

I've been asking for a definitive definition of success for the football program for years on here, so good luck.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bardicer

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 16, 2017, 01:16:42 pm
The correct answer is "being Gus", because that is who the GOBN is behind.

I went 8-5 with worse record once in 5 years.

If its Gus, i expect 9 or 10 and him gone the second he doesn't reach it.  But that's just because I don't like him and I'm tired of hearing that he's the next nick saban. 

JethroB.

I just want to see yearly improvement. I'd be happy with averaging 8 wins per season with the occasional 9-10 win season or so. Just improve

Mellon Collie

as long is aint a 4-8 year 5, im cool.

hogsanity

keeping in mind, since joining the sec, the Hogs have averaged right around 7 wins per season, and have only finished the season ranked in the top 25 five times in 26 years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:05:29 pm
keeping in mind, since joining the sec, the Hogs have averaged right around 7 wins per season, and have only finished the season ranked in the top 25 five times in 26 years.

7 wins/season would be an improvement over what we have now.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:05:29 pm

That's crazy.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 03:06:08 pm

Not arguing that at all. I am still amazed at how many people want to set the floor ABOVE what the program has averaged for the last 26 years. 

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:09:07 pm
Not arguing that at all. I am still amazed at how many people want to set the floor ABOVE what the program has averaged for the last 26 years. 

To be fair, no one wants to be average.  We're looking for that guy that will put us "above average" for a few years, before we inevitably sink back down to that historical average.
1909/1964/1965/1977

greenEGnHAWGS

I went with 9-3 record 3 out of 5 years since the question is "what do I consider success?"

By taking the 7-5 or even 8-4 record means that the next coach would be average...as all of the other coaches have accumulated that record as well.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Poker_hog

Averaging 8-5 is not too much to ask.  We play 13 games most years with 3 renta wins.  Just asking the next coach to be .500 against power 5 teams is not that lofty of a goal.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 03:11:10 pm
To be fair, no one wants to be average.  We're looking for that guy that will put us "above average" for a few years, before we inevitably sink back down to that historical average.

We have had that twice in the sec, one the fans could not wait to get rid of and the other is horrible at driving a motorcycle with a passenger amd not a great liar either.

In my lifetime we also had that with Holtz and Hatfield. I am little young to remember how the fans felt about Holtz the last 2 seasons, but I remember the whining about Hatfield, and that many were glad he was gone, never mind that the Hogs finished in the top 20 four times in his tenure here, and he had THREE 10 win seasons.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:15:57 pm
We have had that twice in the sec, one the fans could not wait to get rid of and the other is horrible at driving a motorcycle with a passenger amd not a great liar either.

In my lifetime we also had that with Holtz and Hatfield. I am little young to remember how the fans felt about Holtz the last 2 seasons, but I remember the whining about Hatfield, and that many were glad he was gone, never mind that the Hogs finished in the top 20 four times in his tenure here, and he had THREE 10 win seasons.

I never said we were a smart fanbase.
1909/1964/1965/1977

popcornhog

None of the above. I'd wait and see what the on field talent looks like next year, what happens to the current recruiting class, and see how the 2018 team develops.

I look for 2018 to show improvement and show signs of building toward the new coach's goals. My expectations for 2019 would be much the same. Real win loss improvement from there is expected by 2020 and by 2021 or 2022 we need to show signs of being able to compete for the SECW and showing signs of continued improvements. By then if we aren't either legitimately competing for the SECW or at least believably getting close, the new guy has failed.
WPS

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Poker_hog on November 16, 2017, 03:15:21 pm
Averaging 8-5 is not too much to ask.  We play 13 games most years with 3 renta wins.  Just asking the next coach to be .500 against power 5 teams is not that lofty of a goal.

I think this is about the best possible outcome we could hope for IMO.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hawginj

Improvemet week to week year to year, from week one year one. Competitive in every game played 9-10 win seasons occasionally dipping down to 8 being in the conversation for SEC championships every 3rd year is plenty of expectations for Arkansas in the SEC west no reason not to be in top 3 every year.

31to6

I don't like your options. My definition for success would be:
Year 1:
Full Pass. I personally think the team has 7 to 8 win talent. But who knows what changes a new coach brings in terms of scheme, recruiting, etc. But you don't even count losses against the coach for this year.

Years 2-5, average of these 4 years:
Below Expectations: sub-.500 conference record, more than one losing season, no meaningful bowls, no seaon over 8 wins

Meets Expectations: Average .500 in conference play. no more than one losing season (5-7). at least 1 good bowl (NYD or upper tier). at least 1 top 25 season. trajectory trending upward by season 5.

Exceeds Expectations: no losing seasons. above .500 in conference play. multiple meaningful bowls. multiple top-25 seasons. program now sustainable at this level.

Build a statue: Exceeds Expectations+SECCG/playoffs/multiple top-10 rankings, etc.

Pecos Hog

How about flipping it this way?  He's got 5 seasons.    He needs to an average 8+ wins per year with at least one 10+ win season.   No more than 1 or 2 SEC season records less than 0.500 in those 5 seasons either.   I expect our team to be ranked in the top 25 most of the time, particularly at the end of the year.   

ballz2thewall

fit
energetic
removes headset sometimes
interacts with players
coaches players
knows offense
knows defense
can be an asshhole
The rest of the frog.

Citizen2729

Currently there have been 71 votes. "The Law of Large Numbers says that as the sample size increases the sample mean will approach the population mean. ii. ... Generally, we assume that a sample size of n = 30 is sufficient to get an approximate normal distribution for the distribution of the sample mean." So we could get 1000 more votes and still be seeing about the same distribution of votes we are seeing now. So what I see is the average expectation is a floor of 8-4 and we should not dip below that more than 1 or 2 times in any 5 year period, and I would speculate and say that tolerance would probably be based on how far above that floor we get in better performing years.

"You are what your record says you are"

bvillepig

Top 25 most years with an occasional run into the top 10. Competitive and not afraid to play anyone.

Hoggiedawg

Do better than what we have for the last 5 years.  Simple as that.  I know it's a low bar, but we have to start somewhere.

Learn how to come from behind.  Don't set world records for bad defense.  Don't get our QB killed with world class crappy OL play.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

LJHOG

Last at least 5 years wasn't a choice so I didn't vote.

RazorbacksFTW

November 16, 2017, 07:00:22 pm #34 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:15:51 pm by RazorbacksFTW
I expect a 10 win season at least 1 season every 5 years.
I expect the other 4 years to be mostly 8 win seasons with 1 bad season where we only win 6-7 games.

I also expect most of our losses to be close/within 14 points during those 8 win seasons and during the 1 bad season instead of getting blown out a lot like we do now.
I guess having these realistic expectations is considered fantasy land by a lot of the people who have accepted Brets loser mentality.

Our 2018 schedule should provide any decent coach a 7-5 record.  Of course, that does depend on defections, injuries and suspensions for 2018 season.  We should and must win the 4OOC games and then beat Vandy, OM and MO for 7 wins.  Anything else would be gravy.

I fully expect at least 6 wins the first year and 7 the second and then 8 annually with at least one 10 win season in the first 5 years.   This all depends on who and how the new coach is hired.  If we cannot find a way to hire a coach with the least baggage and then EXPECT him to produce and fire his ass if he doesn't and not wait 5 years of pud pulling later to do something.  Bret never met a reasonable expectation any of the 5 seasons he has been here.  Wanna bet if he had been at Florida, he would have been fired after the first year.  Sadly many Hogville posters stood by this cluster for the nearly 5 years and some still do.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 16, 2017, 04:05:23 pm
How about flipping it this way?  He's got 5 seasons.    He needs to an average 8+ wins per year with at least one 10+ win season.   No more than 1 or 2 SEC season records less than 0.500 in those 5 seasons either.   I expect our team to be ranked in the top 25 most of the time, particularly at the end of the year.   

Oh and I forgot a biggie.   Have the team ready to play - at the beginning of the year and for every game.    And PLEASE don't embarrass the program with many blowout losses.   

hogginbama

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 03:06:08 pm

An improvement over this year, but equal to or worse than the past 3 years.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogginbama on November 17, 2017, 10:04:37 am
An improvement over this year, but equal to or worse than the past 3 years.

I'm talking about an average.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogginbama

Quote from: Wildhog on November 17, 2017, 10:06:53 am
I'm talking about an average.

You didn't say average, you said 7-8 a year would be better than we have now. So what happens if the new guy wins 7-8 games in his first 3 years then goes off the rails in year 4? Fire and start again? Most of you guys are saying 7-8 wins a year, but were screaming for BB to be fired after years 3 and 4, when he was meeting your expectations. Just wish everyone would be honest and say that there was absolutely nothing from day 1 that the guy could have done because he was not Gus, BP, CK, JG, etc.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.